Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,907 | Ratings: 7,137
3.77/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Crystal clear light amber color with a two finger head that lingers. Has that traditional APA blast of crispy citrus hops. Spicy bitter flavor with a medium sour finish which lingers a little longer than I’d like. I can sense a mild maltiness in the beginning. Not as refreshing as others I’d had of this style.The sour taste does fade after awhile to make it more enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a can into a Dale's Pale ale pint glass picked up from the brewery. Amber/orange color with 2FB of white head that dissipates with some lacing. Floral scent. Malty with piney hop flavors with residual bitterness. This has been my go to pale ale for the last year and have tried others available in my area but still coming back.

Appearance: Poured clear light amber, persistent frothy white head, and an amazing trail of lacing.

Aroma: Pale malts, floral and bitter hop aroma, no esthers. No diacetyl.

F: Closely follows the aroma and no surprises, the hops are forefront in taste, but are balanced very well with the pale malts. Finish is pleasant and rightfully bitter on the palate.

M: Light-Medium body and mouthfeel, dry and clean finish.

O: According to style (American Pale Ale), this is perfect. I cannot think of anything to improve. Even the can is American, with it's red white and blues. I really enjoyed this beer. It's refreshing, appropriately pale/bitter, right amount of hops, head retention, malt profile.

Congrats to Oskar Blues for earning my first perfect beer to style award!!

P.S.: I dont think I had the budget for an award but you get the idea.

2.07/5  rDev -47.3%

A - This was by far the most impressive part of the brew. Poured a medium brown like an apple cider. Excellent frothy fluffy head with spider lacing down the glass.

S - Nice floral hops caramel malts but what really threw me was the rubber tire taste that trailed in at the end.

T - Floral hops that finished heavily bitter, almost too bitter. As in the smell the rubber tires came in at the end, pretty bad and unfortunately turns the whole taste of the aspect to a downward spiral.

M - Little carbonation with a slick mouthfeel.

D - Steer clear of this dangerous brew. Hops are too overpowering that lead to a super bitter aftertaste and something else if off from this brew. Avoid please.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a light amber body with a big white head that leaves moderate lacing. Smells sweet and nutty but with a big resin and grapefruit hop presence, borders on an IPA smell. Taste is much like the nose. Oily and drying mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Lingering malts with a piney taste in the aftertaste too. Easy to drink, and pretty tasty too, but it loses points for being a bit too drying in my opinion. Regardless, I'm pretty satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to buy this again if I saw it and wanted a pale ale.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

This is one of the only brews I've seen and had I tap that's is mainly distributed by can.

pours hazey clear orange with slight lacing throughout the glass.

the smell is a complex mix of hops.

However the tatse is amazing. For a pale ale the taste is really un matched and certainly this stands as king of caned pale ales. Rush of hops with a clean finish leaving purley hop tatse on the pallet.

I highly recommend this ale for any occasion.

A solid, balanced pale ale. Hops are definitely present but the malt finish competes. One of my "go-to" pale ales, up there with Sierra Nevada and the old Stone Pale.

3.61/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Serving Type: Can into Goose Island Glass.

Apperance: light brown/amber with a thick white head and the lacing is consistently maintained when tilting the glass.

The aroma is citrusy, and hoppy with a sweet malted blend.

The taste was surprising for me because it's not as sweet as it smells. The hoppiness deffinetly stands out on this one! It's more present when drinking it from the can than when poured on a glass. It's bitter on the forefront, but has a nice sweet after taste as a result from the malt and the spices added.

The mouthfeel is thin, which was not expected at first, due to the thick head, but once the head relaxes, there is little carbonation.

Overall this is a great summer beer. It's refreshing and it goes down smooth. I wouldn't really consider this a Pale Ale by no means. It's darker in nature and it tastes and behaves like an IPA style beer. It's a great summer beer; I am definitely going to buy this one again.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a can into one of the Sam Adam's glasses I was sent in the mail. Had a nice head which quickly disappeared. Color is exactly what one would expect in a pale ale.

Smell is hoppy and clean, very inviting during the summer in VA.

Taste is quite good. Hoppy, but not overpowering. Definitely a bit of tongue coating with the hops, so if you'll be trying other beers, I'd try them first.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. The coating on the tongue grows as the beer is finished.

As far as drinkability, I could drink a few of these in a row no problem on a hot day. It seems to just slip down the throat.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Best beer I've had from a can. Poured into a pint glass you will notice a bright copper color and nice thick creamy head. Aroma is full of citrus hops backed by sweet caramel malt.

The flavor is outstanding, the balance of hops and malt is right on for my taste. Sweet caramel, grapefruit, pine, with a nice clean finish. Very drinkable. Don't let the can fool you, this is good stuff.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Really surprised me for a can pour. Clear copper color with nice off white head. Left a nice lacing on the side of the glass. More carbonated than I would have expected.

S- A tinge of citrus hops and a well balanced malty scent.

T- Impressed. I didn't think that this beer would be as impressive as it was. A nicely balanced canned beer. Initial burst of citrus like hops followed by a nice mellowing maltiness. Not really bitter at all.

M- Great mouthfeel. A bit thicker than I expected, leaves a nice crisp aftertaste.

D- Very easy to drink. I could drink these all the time. Perfect for a tail gate type atmosphere.

Thanks aubuc1!

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%

Drank it straight outta the can - I should be banned from reviewing beers forever!

A: N/A

S: I was surprised by the overwhelming smell of citrus/pine hops, especially from a pale ale and even more especially from a pale ale out of a can.

T: Very good. Nice integration of hops and malts, as I would expect from a well-crafted APA

M: A bit thin on the palate, but not bad

D: Highly sessionable, which is what I would expect from a good APA.

I've been really impressed with the line-up from Oskar Blues - too bad it is such a pain in the ass for me to obtain these cans in NYC!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale

A: nut brown crossed with amber with a long lasting foamy white head on top. Quite an aesthetically pleasing brew.

S: wow, so floral and piney, it smells like a sweet wildflower hop bouquet in the pine forest.

T: sweet candy malt, well balanced by lots of juicy hops. I’d say a tangerine-pine hop profile.

M: sticks around on the palate. To be expected of such a sugary beer.

O: a really good everyday pale, hopped enough that it might be called an IPA. Malt forward, easy to drink. 4.6/5.

3.89/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tulip glass

a - red caramel with white head

s - woody and earthy

t - starts sweet, then turns hoppy, finish has caramel and chocolate notes

m - moderately full

o - Not what I expected, in fact much better than I expected. Hoppy and complexity mix to create a wonderful flavor profile and the texture compliments the taste very well.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured from its classy aluminum can into my finest chalice.

A: Foamy thick head that stuck around for quite a while. Amber orange with lots of bubbles. Nice lacing around the glass.

S: Grapefruit, floral hops. Smells as hoppy as a double IPA!

T: Taste is consistent with the smell -- earthy, citrus hop bitterness with a subtle sweetness. There is something buried in the aftertaste that I would attribute to the can, but this could be in my head.

MF: Very smooth. Maybe a little drying from the hops bitterness, but not overwhelming.

D: Extremely drinkable. I really wish I didn’t know it came from a can, as I feel I was looking for an aluminum can taste. I honestly believe you would have no idea it came from a can if you didn’t pour it yourself. Skeptics put on your wifebeater, crank up the skynyrd and enjoy!

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Easy to find here in Colorado. Even easier to smuggle into Red Rocks. Gotta love it.

Appearance: Amber.

Smell: Strong smell of citrusy American hops and some sweet malt.

Taste: Delicious citrusy hops more than holding their own against the caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Sticky!

Drinkability: This beer has quite a personality, very drinkable. A top tier American pale ale.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%

Quite nice and very drinkable. It's a remarkably full flavored brew with a strong kick. Goes down easier than most 6.5 beers. Voluminously hopped mutha as the can states. It's a bit over priced but a solid staple for a strong flavored beer fan. I particularly appreciate the smooth drinkability that includes a hoppy bite and an appropriately malty finish. I also must mention the cans don't take away from the flavor and add to the experience.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Drank it right from the can so I'm not too sure.

S- Nice burst of citrus as soon as I cracked it!

T- Great hop flavor here. Not very malty back bone but that's okay, I wasn't expecting as much from a APA.

M- Crisp in the mouth with a bit of tingle. Light to medium bodied and very easy to drink.

O- Great session beer. Not a whole lot going on here and thats perfectly acceptable. Well done Oskar Blues.

Serving type- 12oz can. Thanks for reading.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Deep, rich amber color. A respectable head that leaves lots of lacing.

S - Sweet honey and floral notes. Delicious.

T - A hoppy, but well-balanced, candied floral taste that just explodes in your mouth.

M - What can I say? Full and smooth without being overly carbonated or any other such negative characteristics. Pretty much perfect.

O - Maybe I just got an incredibly fresh batch of this, but my god. This is one of the ten best beers I've ever tasted. I drank this after a large bottle of Hennepin (another personal favorite) and this beer blew it out of the water... Let me just put it this way: I stopped posting on BA about 2.5 years ago because I just kinda got bored of it. This beer inspired me to come back and post a review. Between this and the also-exceptional Fat Tire Shift Pale Lager, I am quickly becoming a canned beer convert. If you see it, try it.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from growler into pint glass. Dark
Amber with good head and lacing. Aromas if the cirrus and pine hops hut the nose and backed by malty whiffs.

Taste hit with caramel, and malt followed up by a biting hops and astringent finish. Love this pale ale. Defining bold for the style!

Mouthfeel is light to medium body and the finish goes with the bitterness building.

Overall, Dales is my go to pale ale and I pick some up anytime in Hudson.

CAN > pint glass.

A- Copper, 1.5 fing head, lingers down to a .5er. Leaves lovely holes in the lacing.

S - Fruity, Grapes, tinge of alcohol, touch of citrus zest. I think for a pale, I want to give it a 3.75, but I can't.

T- The hops prevail in this pale, there's no doubt. For a pale, The hop profile is bigger than usual, which is why I love this pale. Most pale ales will be more balanced, and you will be able to detect the malt presence. In Dale's you find the malt finishing, rounding out the common denominator.

M - Mouthful of delicious carbonated brew then mellows fairly quickly. Tight carbonation, with a sharp finish.

O - Very drinkable. I like the crispness and hop that this pale brings.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

A- Very clear golden orange with a foamy slight off white head. Lots of carbonation streaming from bottom of the glass.

S- For a pale ale this is very hoppy. Lots of citrus and the cat pee quality, also sweet caramel coming from the malt.

T- This is one of the best pale ales i've ever had. Almost closer to an IPA in taste but lighter. The malt does play a nice role with a smooth sweetness balancing out the hop characters. Hops are up front with mostly citrus flavor with a light bitterness on the back.

M- Light feel on the mouth but not watery, it has substance. Right on for this beer.

O- Awesome beer, loved drinking everyone of them. One of the better beers I've had lately. Super refreshing and almost crossing the line into IPA territory. Keeps me wanting more.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

I finally got around to trying Dale's Pale Ale. I think it was kismet, since there was only one six-pack left at the store. Poured a golden color with a fat two finger head. Hop aromas all over the place. Absolutely amazing. In my opinion, certainly closer to an IPA. The numbers would support as well at 60+ IBU's and 6.5% ABV. Wickedly drinkable. May be a bit high in alcohol for a session brew, but it won't stop me from trying. This may very well be my favorite IPA. I love the fact that one of the reasons these guys are canning is because it made them laugh. I was the one laughing at a party I went to when people thought I was drinking "generic beer". I just love the notion of a kick ass IPA in a can. Oskar Blues rocks!!!

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Smooth pour, richer color tone than expected, reddish gold. Lasting white fluffy head with lacing. Moderately hoppy and citrusy scent. Nice hoppy taste, well balanced and extremely crispy, with light to medium body and good bitterness lingering. I like this beer a lot especially for the price and the classic can look.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this many times before, but just now getting around to reviewing it. Poured from a can into a pint glass
A- looks pretty standard for a pale ale. Dark amber color with a white-ish head that fades fast and leaves a little lacing.

S- Nice and hoppy for a pale ale with some pine and citrus. Also a little bit of crystal malts and some buttery diacetyl.

T- Pretty nice for a pale ale. Hoppier and close to an IPS than usual. Really great taste.

M - About average for mouthfeel. Nothing extraordinary.

D - I could easily put back a few cans of this one. A good higher alcohol session beer.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew