Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Ratings: 7,315 |  Reviews: 1,950

12 ounce can -> Dogfish Head glass

This offering pours a medium to deep copper with a small white head. The retention is pretty nice eventually becoming just a ring around the side with a thin layer of foam on top. Lacing is spectacular. The smell is nice. I pick up a lot of earthy smells, hops, grasses, citrus, etc. Taste is big. Upfront you get a big malty sweetness which seems to move seemlessly into a spicy hop bitterness. This was my first Dales and it was pretty much as good as its reputation.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

This pours a semi-clear amber color with a slight off-white head. The aroma is hoppy with a touch of bready malts. The taste has hint of pine, citrus, and grapefruit giving it dry taste. Very tasty and well made, a nice flag ship beer.

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured a dark amber with a light head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was weak, slightly malty. The flavor was surprisingly weak on the attack, but finished with an interesting peppery finish, with an unexpected hint of allspice. There is some hop bitterness but little hoppiness on the aroma. The mouthfeel is thin, but with a good sting of carbonation.

Not bad. Not revelatory.

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

Canned six pack, picked up at Consumer Beverages in Buffalo. A prof of mine has raved about this beer for some time now, so I made sure to make this a part of my beer haul back to Canada.

Poured into a nonic. Light amber-golden, good frothy head, nice lacing, good retention. Great looking brew.

Nose is very tropical - grapefruit, mango, guava - with a strong piney bitterness and sweet caramel malt.

Wow - I know this has been said before, but it is truly amazing to think this beer came from a can (oddly enough, I actually enjoyed drinking this out of a can more than the glass, probably because of the sheer novelty). That being said, this was a highly enjoyable pale ale - perhaps pushing into IPA hop levels - with a sweet malty opening and a tart hoppy bitter finish, with loads of tropical fruit flavors to boot. The hops were nicely balanced with the malts making for a pleasant drinking experience.

A bit heavy for a pale ale, but nice and creamy and with mild, but sufficient carbonation.

Kudos to Oskar Blues for making such an enjoyable, hoppy brew in such a "dad's beer"-looking can. Pound for pound, one of the better beers I've consumed in terms of sheer drinkability and cost. My wife and I enjoyed this so much we picked up two extra six packs to replace the first sixer we demolished in the hotel. Great brew.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Review is from notes taken on 10/25/2009. Poured from a can into a pint glass. Something tells me that my score is going to be higher than the average, but what can I say? This is a great freaking beer and I feel they need to start distributing to where I live so I could make it a regular in my fridge.

Appearance: Pours a nearly perfect copper color and comes with a 1/2 finger white fluffy head; body is clear and shows strong carbonation; firm washes and rings of lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell: A fine balance of malty sweetness and a mild piney/citrusy bitter hop presence; malt is stronger in the nose than in the mouth, ultimately, but I am loving how this hits my nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Outstanding! the balance in this pale ale is extraordinary - the hops are more piney than citrusy in the mouth and the resins are super present and leave a thick coating all over the mouth, particularly the roof; the malts offer a firm backing and help smooth out the bitterness.

Drinkability: I wish this was something that I could get my hands on all the time. The smell and taste are great and it's very refreshing, this would definitely be a go-to pale for me.

Presentation: 12 oz can.

Appearance: Bright orange color with a great sized head. Head faded to a thin lace on top, as well as down the sides.

Smell: Citrusy hops with a nice sweet malt aroma coming through as well.

Taste: Mmm .. nice hoppy flavor, with a slightly creamy mouthfeel. Citrusy flavor with a decent malt background - definitely predominately hops though. Nice and drinkable.

Overall impression: Wow - great canned beer. Perfect for camping trips, or just around the house. This should probably be an IPA though - definitely heavy on the hops.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can poured into a half pint glass

A: Pours a dark honey orange with a white head, lots of carbonation, some lacing, some head retention.

A: Hint of lemon zest, some resin, little bit of pine, not much else on the nose.

T: Lemon zest, pine, resin, moderate amount of bitterness, finish is dry with hints of citrus peel in the aftertaste, subtle flavors, very drinkable.

M: Light-medium body mouthfeel with a semi-dry finish.

O: As far as APAs, there are better out there, but this beer is very enjoyable, not at all disappointed, a solid APA and beer, very drinkable. I could see myself crushing some of these on a hot southern CA summer day.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Had on tap at the Olde Hickory Taproom, previously reviewed from the can.
Pint was the color of a typical IPA. Amber in color with red, orange, and golden hues. 1" white head quickly receded to a filmy lace on top.
Smell is dominated by piney hops.
Man this is a good beer. I still stand by my assumption that this is more like an IPA. Citrus and piney hops with a dry finish.
Feels oily in the mouth. I like.
Extremely drinkable. This is no gimmick beer, it is a real fine, refreshing, crisp beer.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew