Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 7,365 |  Reviews: 1,958

4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a copper orange with a slight haze and a light yellowish head that maintains a thin cap. Wet lacings on the glass. Mild floral orange aroma, but not citrusy. Buttery aromas and feel. Well balanced malt and hop flavor, with neither overtaking the other and delayed hoppy finish that doesn't linger. Very smooth and nicely carbonated.

4.23/5  rDev +9%

Canned six pack, picked up at Consumer Beverages in Buffalo. A prof of mine has raved about this beer for some time now, so I made sure to make this a part of my beer haul back to Canada.

Poured into a nonic. Light amber-golden, good frothy head, nice lacing, good retention. Great looking brew.

Nose is very tropical - grapefruit, mango, guava - with a strong piney bitterness and sweet caramel malt.

Wow - I know this has been said before, but it is truly amazing to think this beer came from a can (oddly enough, I actually enjoyed drinking this out of a can more than the glass, probably because of the sheer novelty). That being said, this was a highly enjoyable pale ale - perhaps pushing into IPA hop levels - with a sweet malty opening and a tart hoppy bitter finish, with loads of tropical fruit flavors to boot. The hops were nicely balanced with the malts making for a pleasant drinking experience.

A bit heavy for a pale ale, but nice and creamy and with mild, but sufficient carbonation.

Kudos to Oskar Blues for making such an enjoyable, hoppy brew in such a "dad's beer"-looking can. Pound for pound, one of the better beers I've consumed in terms of sheer drinkability and cost. My wife and I enjoyed this so much we picked up two extra six packs to replace the first sixer we demolished in the hotel. Great brew.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

First off, let me just start by saying that if they are classifying this as a pale ale and not an ipa, you could have fooled me.

Now, to get to the beverage, it was aboslutely beautiful upon pouring into a tulip style pint glass. A sparkling copper color with a nice thick 1 inch fluffy white head. Thick, sticky lacing follows all the way down.

The smell was extremely dank and pungent.

The flavor followed the nose, wow, this is full of dank, pungent, piney, hops flavor. Just a bit of malt to keep everything in check, not much though.

Medium bodied with a smooth and sticky mouth feel.

I really enjoyed this one at first (and still do), but it became pretty heavy in my stomach as I went. It probably didn't help that I had one of the larger Pint+ cans. This was good but not something I could see throwing back a bunch of.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

Review is from notes taken on 10/25/2009. Poured from a can into a pint glass. Something tells me that my score is going to be higher than the average, but what can I say? This is a great freaking beer and I feel they need to start distributing to where I live so I could make it a regular in my fridge.

Appearance: Pours a nearly perfect copper color and comes with a 1/2 finger white fluffy head; body is clear and shows strong carbonation; firm washes and rings of lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell: A fine balance of malty sweetness and a mild piney/citrusy bitter hop presence; malt is stronger in the nose than in the mouth, ultimately, but I am loving how this hits my nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Outstanding! the balance in this pale ale is extraordinary - the hops are more piney than citrusy in the mouth and the resins are super present and leave a thick coating all over the mouth, particularly the roof; the malts offer a firm backing and help smooth out the bitterness.

Drinkability: I wish this was something that I could get my hands on all the time. The smell and taste are great and it's very refreshing, this would definitely be a go-to pale for me.

Presentation: 12 oz can.

Appearance: Bright orange color with a great sized head. Head faded to a thin lace on top, as well as down the sides.

Smell: Citrusy hops with a nice sweet malt aroma coming through as well.

Taste: Mmm .. nice hoppy flavor, with a slightly creamy mouthfeel. Citrusy flavor with a decent malt background - definitely predominately hops though. Nice and drinkable.

Overall impression: Wow - great canned beer. Perfect for camping trips, or just around the house. This should probably be an IPA though - definitely heavy on the hops.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

Had on tap at the Olde Hickory Taproom, previously reviewed from the can.
Pint was the color of a typical IPA. Amber in color with red, orange, and golden hues. 1" white head quickly receded to a filmy lace on top.
Smell is dominated by piney hops.
Man this is a good beer. I still stand by my assumption that this is more like an IPA. Citrus and piney hops with a dry finish.
Feels oily in the mouth. I like.
Extremely drinkable. This is no gimmick beer, it is a real fine, refreshing, crisp beer.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%

This really is more of an IPA than a Pale Ale. Pours a hazy orange amber with a big stiff head and nice lacing. The smell has as much citrus piny hops as many IPAs. Medium bodied, the mouth feel is adequately carbonated and primarily influence by the bitterness of the hops. Full flavored, the hoppy grapefruit taste is balanced nicely by sweet malt. A real god drinker. A bit pricey.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew