Deviant Dale's IPA | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from 16oz tallboy can into Globe glass.

A. Pours 2 finger head. Color is dark orange almost brown. Good retention. Thick lacing.

S. Pretty hoppy aroma. Has quite a bit of piney hop smell coming from it. Pretty solid malt base lends some sweetness. Has a bit of alcohol resiny hop aroma. Smells quite a bit like Modus and Furious. 8% is in my mind on the border of IPA and DIPA, and this beer smells like it.

T. First thought is a really smooth beer. While I thought the aroma of this bordered on DIPA, i think the taste might verge on Pale Ale. Nice balance of hop and malt. Get the same piney hop flavor that was in the nose, mixed with some caramel malt sweetness. Bitterness is there, but low which makes me feel like the beer has some Pale Ale qualities. Regardless this is an easy drinking good beer.

M. Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Finishes with some bitterness on the back of the tongue, and a touch of sweetness.

O. Good beer. Nice balance. If it wasnt for the 8% it would be pretty easy to put down a large quantity of these. Not a very hoppy flavor, but there is plenty of those beers to go around.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a clear deep copper with a dense inch and a half eggy head that lingers indefinitely.

Resin, onion, and fresh cut grass form the initial aroma, with muted grapefruit and other citrus underlying a subtle bready malt.

Resin, grapefruit, onion, and pine are evident at first sip. There's significant bready caramel malt backbone that keeps the hops restrained into the fairly bitter and dry finish.

Body is moderate, with carbonation a touch on the low side, and a bit of astringency and alcohol warmth.

Expected more hop character from this one. There's a decent bang initially, but the malt really reigns it in.

3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can to Lawson's sniffer

A: Amber red with a little bit of honey completely translucent with almost no head weird for double ipa

S: there is a solid hop fragrance that dominates most of the smell

T: there is a somewhat dominant malt taste but then it balances out with hop flavors fairly well.

M: oily and very thin for a dipa not very smooth but it is drinkable not my favorite though

O: it's not a bad dipa but its doesn't have a lot of hop flavor compared to the smell. It's a bit to malty for me and I wouldn't describe it as valences definitely not my style dipa but its not bad either

4.1/5  rDev +2%

16-ounce can poured into a New Belgium snifter. This one has a date of July 26, 2012, so I realize it is near the end of it's tastiness. I dive in without reservation though, because this can looks mean enough to keep the flavor in check for 150 days or so.

A- Appearance: Dark amber, slightly cloudy with a thick, creamy off-white, half-inch head. Gorgeous pour. Lacing starts early as the head begins to diminish, and leaves a more crystalline appearance than I am used to seeing.

S- Smell: Strong citrus, orange peel and grapefruit. Smells like a lot of hops in there. Slight, sweet smell of caramel, indicating a malt presence. A lot of reviews mention pine... I smell no pine in this older sample. Those hops might have retired by now.

T- Hop bitterness. The sweetest thing about this one is the smell. Once you take a sip, it is all hops. Definitely a west-coast style IPA with the pine notes and and bready malt finish. There is a slight malty sweetness on the finish, but it is quickly forgotten with the next sip. Another 30 days in the can and this one would make a better paperweight, but I think I caught it at a good time.This is yet another CAN of IPA that I must admit I really like. In fact, every canned Oskar Blues offering I have tasted has been pretty good. I would like to try a fresher can because I am getting just a hint, a very small hint, of metallic can on the finish. It might even be my imagination playing tricks on me as I sit and stare at the can itself. Still, I would like to have a 60-90 day old version.

M- This one had a gorgeous, thick and creamy head from the start and I was afraid that would mean too much bite, but it turned out to be very smooth. The mouthfeel is very soft and elegant, with just a hint of carbonation for the first second or two, then the bubbles make way for the taste buds to do their work. This one performs as an IPA should- quick hit of carbonation and then a long, smooth finish that makes you forget the bite until the next sip. Well done.

O- Stunningly bitter... of course, it IS rated at 85 IBU, so you know that going in. Although the freshness of my sample could be a consideration, I found this IPA to be top-notch. Not top-notch for a canned brew, but top-notch for an IPA. It is totally a west-coaster, so Dogfish drinkers would turn up their nose immediately, but it really is worth the 12-13 bucks I paid for a 4-pack. There is no way I could put away four of these in a session. I will be looking to purchase this one again soon, but I will make sure it is less than 100 days old.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

16 ounce can into tulip glass; canned on 10/16/2012, "iapprovethismessage" slogan. Pours slightly hazy orange amber color with a nice 2 finger dense off white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Some nice soapy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of huge orange zest, grapefruit, pineapple, orange rind, mango, floral, caramel, moderate pine, grass, and earthy spiciness. Fantastic aromas with great hop complexity, balance, and strength. Taste of big orange zest, grapefruit, orange rind, caramel, bread, pineapple, pine, floral, grass, and earthy spiciness. Good amount of piney citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, pine, caramel, bread, orange rind, floral, grass, and earthy spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice hop flavor complexity with a nicely balanced malt backbone; with minimal cloying bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy, sticky, and lightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent IPA! (though I would definitely place this as being a DIPA blindly) Great hop flavor complexity and malt balance; and quite smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering I will be getting again.

Deviant Dale's IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew