G'Knight Imperial Red IPA | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Ratings: 3,996 |  Reviews: 1,370

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.56/5  rDev -62%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The brewery calls this an "Imperial Red," so I'm going to rate it against that description. BA has it listed as an imperial IPA. If Oskar had warned me that it was an IPA, I'd be more lenient, but they did no such thing. I'm a big fan of reds and that's why I bought it. So, I'm a little cheesed off that none of the goodness of a red ale was present.
The colour was hardly red. It looked like a typical amber, with a fluffy amber-style head. The smell was simply awful. Like a full lawnmower bag that sucked up too many pine needles. The taste had way too much of that smell in it. It tastes like grass growing out of an evergreen tree, with sap dripping all over it. It was icky. If there were any malty, or toasted qualities that make a red ale so delicious, they were completely and utterly masked by this abysmal flavour. I seriously can't taste a damn thing under that over-hopped madness.

1.93/5  rDev -52.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I don't believe it but I had Gordon before & liked it. Actually poured this one though (because I want to end the night on a higher note), and now I will not be buying Gordon again.

A: Amber

S: One-note good heavy malt bill, barely accentuated with the spicy hops.

T: Sweet, unbalanced. Plus, a weak and troubling solventy aftertaste evident in this batch. Mishandling or what?

M: A little squishy in the finish.

D: F- it.

Batch 6-30-10. Sorry, was not good.

2.09/5  rDev -49%

Was excited to try this as it got great reviews as an Imperial Red which is a style right up my alley. Boy was I disappointed.

Pours a deep garnet with off white head dissipating fairly quickly. Lots of lacing down the side of the glass. All downhill from here.

Nose is of heavy caramel/brown sugar. Hardly any hops detectable, maybe a bit earthy but malt overpowers.

Taste offers litte in the way of hoppiness either. Sweet caramel malt overpowers throughout finishing with a brown sugar aftertaste.

Very thick syrupy beer and way unbalanced in favor of malt. Any more than a 12 oz. can and I'm not sure I could've finished it. This is really a mess and I can't agree with the consensus at all. One of the worst beers I had on my west coast trip.

2.3/5  rDev -43.9%

Consumed 06/19/08 during Lucky Baldwin's IPA fest.

Deep burnished copper color. Less than one finger of white head, but lacing is excellent.

Smells of green, earthy hops.

A bit of malt sweetness, almost toffee. Same hop character from the nose. Also features oxidized and ammonia notes. Kind of like eating cardboard from a cat litter box.

I did not care for this one at all.

2.31/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

A saccharine brew; an imbalanced amount of molasses flavor out-muscles what little piney hops and malt it has to offer. Too sweet, too sticky. Hides its Abv well but unfortunately at the cost of its taste. I would have liked a bolder, drier more robust brew for an imperial IPA. A good effort, but an awkward compromise with a sweet sticky red ale.

2.39/5  rDev -41.7%

Aroma is raw, hoppy - reminds me of homebrew wort. Pours with a decent head that lingers for a bit. Taste is raw, hoppy without much of a malt backbone to balance it. The second one I had was a drainpour, I didn't care for this brew at all. At $11.50 for a 4 pack, this beer is WAY overpriced.

2.53/5  rDev -38.3%

Served from a Gordon can...not G'Knight.

A: Poured a less than 1 finger off white head. Beer looks cloudy and deep amber. Cannot see through it.

S: I know this is an odd thing to say but it smells like shampoo. A musky odor that isn't pleasant. Malty citrus in the background.

T: Tastes sweet and malty. There is some alcohol present in the back. Notes of lemon are subtle too. Somewhat tastes like an old fruit roll-up.

M: Carbed and full bodied. Not too drying but alcohol is definitely present.

O: Would never drink again. Not impressed. Honestly was surprised how much I disliked the beer given it's hype. Maybe I'm just not a high gravity amber guy.

*Paired with turkey lasagna.

2.56/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured on tap into a pint glass, this beer pours a rich amber color with a moderate head. I soon sense that the amber color is likely from the crazy amount of rich dark malts in this brew. Not as sweet as Dale's Pale Ale, yet it seems to be just a variant of Dale's. Needless to say, I've never seen an IPA anywhere near this dark.

Smell is unusually malty for an IPA, yet offers some muted hop scents. Taste is bland, muted, sugary. Feel is that of light oily syrup on the tongue. Sweeter even than a Maharaja or 90 Minute and yet offers nowhere near the complexity.

A poor example of the style in my opinion.

G'Knight Imperial Red IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew