G'Knight Imperial Red Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2003

4.1

Reviews: 1,337 | Ratings: 3,851
4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

12 oz can, served in a pint glass.

first of all, the can I had was labeled as 9.2% abv, not 8.7% as listed here.

A - clear, deep amber color with a fluffy tan head that lasted through the glass, leaving a lot of sticky lace.

S - citrus hop aroma with a hint of alcohol.

T - very good tasting brew, hops all the way with a slight taste of alcohol in the finish.

M - medium bodied, mildly carbonated, alcohol warming.

D - drinkable beer, as it warms the taste of alcohol becomes more pronounced, but it still deserves a 'good' rating.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance: Hazy amber with a small head, good lacing as I drank.

Smell: Citrus, dark fruits.

Taste: Boozy mandarin oranges, caramel and brown sugar, a little alcohol burn and a little hop bite at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Slick but not coating.

Drinkability: Not as hoppy as I'd hoped and also unavailable around here.

I picked this up on a recent trip to Milwaukee. It reminds me more of a barleywine than a DIPA, very malty instead of over-the-top hoppy. A pretty good beer even if it wasn't what I'd hoped for.

Had on tap instead of from a can. Pours a bright amber, with medium thick off-white head that liongers atop the glass thru most of the beer, and leaves good lacing. Pleasant aroma of hoppy citrus fruit, joined at mid-glass by a hint of malty sweetness. Tingly mouthfeel brought in the flavor of more hoppy fruit-sweet malt mix. The 8.7% alcohol stayed well hidden in the taste, but by the end of the glass, I could tell it was there.

Finish was slightly bitter, but not as much as expected. This was a darn good beer!

4.43/5  rDev +8%

On tap at brick store pub to 16oz pint glass.

A: Golden dark amber orange with a nice foamy, creamy 2 finger head. Nice retention, nice lacing.
S: Citrusy, hoppy, but sweet and malty too - you aren't knocked back by the pine resin hops as in most IPA's - this should be nice. Nice sweat, sugary caramels too.
T: Wow, this is a great, delicious dIPA. Nice maltiness, perfect balance to the multiple hops flavors. Citrus and pine and grass all well flavored and not overwhelming. Nice sweetness and clean finish.
M: Creamy, chewy, clean. Wonderful.
D: This is a fantastic dIPA - probably a favorite, especially for drinking more than one. So clean, so balanced, wonderful appearance. Great beer!

Note: This is 8.7% ABV, so WATCH OUT! It is obscenely easy to drink, no alcoholic flavors or aromas...

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Excited to try this out after a representative from Oskar Blues came to our homebrewers meeting this week. The guys took it easy on the questions because she was pretty new to the craft beer scene (plus she was cute). Amber ceoor with high carbonation. Not as hoppy or tart as expected, malts must have balnced them out somewhat. Easy to drink the sample. However, the cost for a four pack vs. a six pack of their Dale's Pale and Old Chub makes it my third favorite (out of three) from Oskar Blues. Still happy to see more craft beer in cans available here.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

Enjoyed at Sunset Grill and Tap . 13.oz of copper , amber color which has a minimal head . Aroma is grapefruit , pine cones and hops . Smelling this is making my mouth water . The taste is sweet , hoppy and sticky . Was told at one time , and I quote , " Gordon is Dale's Pale Ale on crack " . I am a big fan of Dale's but this is better . The sweet / bitter taste is just what I like . At 8.70% it has more kick than my beloved Ruination . It is well hidden , no burn . Brought this down the South Carolina for a golf tourney and shared it with others . Some liked it some did not . While having some at the clubhouse my cheeks were red and you have to watch out because this stuff can sneak up you , drink this after your round of golf . Start drinking this at the turn and you are in trouble .This stuff is sooo smooth .

Gordon is the best way to spend a sunny day on the course .

3.31/5  rDev -19.3%

Cloudy brown, it came to me with a thin head. Aroma was not particularly noticeable but was fairly hoppy. Taste is not complex and has a strong alcohol bite, making it taste almost like a liquor than a beer. Thick and smooth, it has some bitterness in the aftertaste but is still pleasant to drink. This is a beer to be sipped slowly and savored rather than chugged down.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Pours a semi-cloudy brown-amber body with a rich, fluffy off-white head.

Smell: Ahh, finally an assertive nose demanding of one's attention! Pacific Northwest hops bring pine and, to a lesser extent, grapefruit to the table, while the malts deliver some caramel, biscuitiness, and maybe even some brown sugar, too.

Taste: Begins with a sweet butterscotch maltiness that's quickly succeeded by a myriad of fruit flavors including grapefruit, peaches, and blood oranges. Eventually, the pine and grassy hop flavors show up to welcome in the bitter, dry (but still somewhat sweet) finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Oily texture.

Drinkability: Extraordinarily well-balanced, just as it's secondary Dale's Pale Ale is. A beer good enough to help you pull yourself up out of the muck and make your life something worth living. Thanks a million, Oskar Blues!

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured fro a tap at Friscoe's Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Poured a very appetizing golden-amber color, with a decent white head.

S- Very little scent, slightly hoppy, bready.

T- Very balanced, not too hoppy for the style, a goog malty flavor.

M- Medium thickness, not syrupy nor too thin. Finishes dry.

D- Too drinkable for the ABV! Very good, deceptavly strong.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

Served at garage temp (~50 degrees) in my imperial pint. Pours a reddish amber with a 1 inch head that will slowly fade to a sixteenth, light and fluffy. Aroma is nice and lightly sweet malts entwined in hops, tickling my nostrils.

Put to the lips and this one hits the tongue with a medium-light carbonation but a body that sits just right for a brew like this. A bit of body and lightly creamy = quite nice. The sweetness kind of hits the tongue and never leaves, though never gets excessive. The hops slides in and out eventually drying out my tongue and riding in some final bitter flavors to encourage me to take another sip.

Quite a great beer across the board. This is one that I have to be in the mood for, but when I am, it is fantastic.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

appearance - Amber with a hint of brown in the color. Nice head from the carbination were formed.

smell - Lots of hops, some malt, grapefruit and citrus.

taste - First things that hits you in a malt but not heavy. Then when it goes down you get the bitterness of the hops on the end.

mouthfeel - Medium body, some carbination.

drinkability - Not bad, not bad. Nice balance here. Malt meets Hops. 4 pack for $8? I have other beers I would spend my money on. Not sure why it cost so much. Worth a try though. Though the Scottish Ale that they make, now that I buy a lot of.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz can. No freshness date.

Pours a leathery Amber color with a medium-sized off-white head and loads of lacing.

A big whiff of sweet malt rises upon opening. A light smell of rum-soaked pears comes to mind. Citrus aromas come and go.

Caramel malt flavors abound. A kiss of honey and buttery crackers provide a solid body for some sharp-edged, grapefruit-like bitterness. The alcoholic kick transports me back many years ago when my aunt Sylvia used to allow me a taste of her Manhattan Martini. As a bonus, I got the martini soaked cherry.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to Enola for the can.
Pours a burgundy red with a massive pillowy khaki colored head. Head has awsome retention as it slowly recedes and holds at 1/4". Thick sticky lacing covers the glass.
Lot's of fruit in the smell, but not the usual DIPA aroma. I smell green apples and frest cut grass.
Oh man this is a delicious beer. A bit barleywine like in the flavor, but excellent none the less. Huge sweet caramel maltiness supports a sharp grassy and slight piney/citrus hoppiness. Alcohol also adds to the bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is full, sticky, and warming.
A very drinkable DIPA. This beer straight from the can around a campfire would be Nirvanah.

2.83/5  rDev -31%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Light auburn with a large frothy head and tons of gorgeous lacing. A very slight haze, but clear for the most part.

S - Pure hop resin. Pine and just a touch of herbal aroma. No malt.

T - Very, very medicianal - like a medicinal cherry, but without the cherry. There is a bit of pine hops as well. Almost like a medicinal blackberry schnapps. Not a good flavor at all.

M - Fairly smooth, pretty refreshing, medium bodied.

D - Meh, its taste is all medicinal - definitely not something I would want to have again, but at least it is finishable. Smells nice.

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%

12oz can poured into a pint glass

A - A really thick and dense looking brew - cloudy but not like a wheat beer. Bright, red-orange appearance with medium amber head. Huge amount of carbonation.

S - Smell is both complex and familiar. Sweet, floral aroma that lingers in your nostrils. Bright, caramel and plum flavors are strong. Just wonderful and a great representation of what a Double IPA should be.

T - One of the most balanced big beers I have had the pleasure of drinking. A little heat is present but it's far from overpowering. Hops come in first then the malty sweetness washes over your mouth, melding with the bitterness instead of being overpowered by it. Stellar.

MF/D - One of the best DIPA's I've ever had. A lot of my experience with this style has been a lot of overhyped, overhopped beers, but this one really did it for me. Very balanced, true to the style, exactly what all "extreme" beers should strive to be. Highly reccomended.

A- Dense tan head about 1/2" thick on a light cloudy amber body.
S- Pine hops come through first. These are followed by hints of citrus and a malt body.
T- Big pine hops with light citrus, medium malt body in there along with hints of alcohol and a light hint of a different kind of pine hop. Pine hops stick all the way around the mouth and are not to balanced out with any kind of citrus fruit hops. Pretty big bitterness lays around on the tongue.
M- Full (maybe scratching just a bit on medium side) body with low carbonation.
D- It is a good DIPA. I don't think I am going to try and trade for one but if I saw it I may pick it up.

3.82/5  rDev -6.8%

Good for it's style with lots of hops and balancing malt, and a very good balancing act. A potent lacey mix with cloudy yellow and beige head. Hoppy "C" aroma. Some citrus, drying aftertaste.This is an aged version, we went back one year, and it worked.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%

I've had Dale's Pale Ale and enjoyed that so I figured that with the reputation of this one I had to try it. In fact, I was lucky to find it in my opinion seeing there were only two four packs and a single left from what I saw. Expensive but well worth it in the end which I'll get to. Pours a nice reddish orange with a good head. It stayed around throughout at about 1/4 inch...from a can. Big. Red. Sticky. All pretty true from what I can see. Sweet caramel and biscuity malts that are already tempting hit the nose along with hops. They aren't quite as up front as you'd expect but I'm still enjoying this. The taste of this is amazing. Very well balanced hops and malts, sweet without that overpowering bitterness from the hops I've come to expect. Instead, the hops simply seemed to peak through at the end, making this quite tasty. Carbonation is close to ideal for the mouthfeel which also happens to be silky smooth. Medium and closer to light bodied brew along with the taste make this the most drinkable of a big bunch that I've tried. Overall a great DIPA and another solid offering from Oskar Blues.

4.31/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Decanted from a 12-ounce can into a Duvel glass. Interesting silver and green design. No decernable freshness/brewed on date noted.

Quite a sight as it exits the can. Huge pillow of egg-shell colored foam with nice density. Color is a ruby-like, almost the color of cranberry juice. One of the more tantalizing brews I've seen.

Nose is pine sap, citrusy fruit, and a hint of berry. A bit of caramel aroma pops up as well. Perhaps a bit of plum? This ought to be fun.

The first sip is a malty slam that gives way to a terrifically bitter, dry finish. Hops, though there, are a bit subdued on the first sip. Its the stunning pucker at the end where the make their most notable appearance. The middles suggests caramel (as suggested by the nose) and pumperknikel bread. The alcohol is very well hidden, though it begins to peak out its head a bit more as it warms up.

As I swirl the beer in my mouth, it coats the tongue beautifully. Thick, rich, and creamy, its on the full side of medium and ideal for a brew of this style.

As I wrap up the glass, I certainly want another one. The nice malt balance and the pine sappy finish are quite agreeable and make this a surprisingly drinkable concoction. They come in a four-pack, and I think I would have no reservations about going for the lot of them. A treat. Though its classifed as a DIPA on BA, I find it more in line with Terrapin's Big Hoppy Monster, which is labeled an imperial red. Splitting hairs, but that sounds more accurate to me.

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

From a plain metal can with a green and white sticker on it. I'd better get to this before it gets old...

I never knew Gordon Knight (the guy this beer's named for), and I never will, but if this beer's any reflection of him (as the can suggests), I think we would've gotten along just fine. He was a seemingly unstoppable brewer, involved in the opening of many brew pubs early in the day, and a helicopter pilot that fought forest fires (and died doing it in 2002). It's a winner, and he was too; and I could only dream that if my friends made a beer in memoriam to me it would be this good!

That said, unlike many other big IPA's that slap you down with raspy hops and loaded bitterness, this one is soft like a baby's blanket. It's rich malty base is the perfect support for it's resiny hop load. It's caramelish, and even slightly chocolatey, but perfectly balanced by the softly piney and grassy hops. The bitterness is even soft. It's 85 IBU's are barely felt - against the plush malt background it seems more like 35 or 40!!! It's remarkably rich and mellow at the same time... hoppy, but not so hoppy... malty but not sweet. IT'S RIDICULOUSLY GOOD! And stunningly drinkable!!! And I have to say this, but not because of the can thing, although that's great and I'm all for it, and excited that it's catching on, but... this is one hell of a beer for relaxing around the campfire with. It reminds me of my homebrew club camping trips... big, soft, hoppy beers - and you only need one or two because they satisfy. Good times! Oskar Blues keep doing it!!! It takes a lot to turn my head, but damned if this one didn't do it! Highest praises! ...Now I need to go get more!!!

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

For my 600th review, I'm going with my beer namesake. Presented in a nifty green and silver can with my name displayed prominently on the face, and the credo "big, red, sticky" near the mouth.
Popping the can doesn't release a rush of carbonation like a soda or macro beer. Not much of anything, sound-wise. Pours a deep reddish orange color topped by a small, creamy white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet, bready malt mixed with tangy, piney hops. Palate is both sharply hoppy and syrupy sweet - a nice contradiction that takes some getting used to. The sweet malt hits up front before being enveloped and eventually overwhelmed by piney hops that come strong on the finish.
Body is thick and syrupy, something I usually dislike, but here I find it rather pleasant and very appropriate. After about half the can it does become kind of a chore to drink, but this is a pretty intense beer. Does my name proud.

12oz. can

Pours a slightly hazed orange amber with a creamy eggshell head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Citrusy and piney hops and a nice caramel maltiness also present. Smells nicely balanced and fresh.

Citrusy and piney, but with an underlying caramel malty flavor. Really well balanced for a DIPA, with plenty of hops to boot.

Medium-light body, good carbonation.

A solid DIPA with great balance makes this an easy drinking brew. Easy to enjoy more than one in a sitting, although $13 for a 4-pack is a little prohibitive when I can get comparable beers for $8-$10 for a six pack.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

served at Mad Mex in a 12 oz glass tumbler.

Cloudy,deep amber color,very creamy white head was served to the top of the glass,left a creamy coating down the glass. Lots of very tiny bubbles streaming tightly knitted together.

Sweet malty aroma,piney,and grapefruity, the aroma might have been a bit off with the glass it was served in and being filled to the top of the glass.

A very honeyed malt taste,syrupy grapefruit with a very good balance.Finished with a dry,puckering boozy feel, leaving a grapefruity/rind taste in your mouth.

Extra creamy and velvety smooth with some grainyness.The beer menu listed this beer at 9.2%.was very drinkable for that amount. Reminded me a lot of the Dales Pale Ale minus all the grapefruityness. A very good double IPA.
Worth a try.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a very pretty amber with some darker brown depths. Tight-bubbled head that leaves a bit of lace. Fresh, green hop aroma with lots of pine notes backed by graham crackery sweet malts. On the palate, sharp acidic bite of hops first off, then some malty sweetness. Towards the end it gets considerably hotter with some raw alcohol and hop oils, which skew toward the piney side. There's some great length here -- the finish lasts a long time, and features some fruity citrus notes that aren't present in other parts of the palate. Big, rich mouthfeel with only light carbonation; the overall impression is heavy -- just shy of syrupy. Overall, this is a very good double IPA, with some good hop flavors, a nice balancing malt bill, and some smoothness. Quite drinkable and tasty.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Ahh my second offering from Oskar Blues, and my favorite style, the Double IPA, lets see how they do.

Poured a deep, dark, hazy orange, with a very nice white head which faded down leaving a nice lace up the glass. Very nice pour from the can. The smell was a nice blend of citrus hops. Grapefruit and pineapple being the biggest players here with hints of tangerine and pine flavors. Alcohol also made its presence felt, tingling the nose a bit. The taste was nice and sweet, not overally so but well rounded sweetness. Nice citrus flavors again, pineapple and grapefruit. The alcohol again was noticeable, but as it warmed it was masked well by the flavors. Very nice bitter, dry finish, lingered and made you want more of it. The balance between the malt and hop flavors is very nicely done here, and the compliment each other well, and mask the high ABV nicely. Overall this was a very nice DIPA and another quality brew from Oskar Blues.

G'Knight Imperial Red Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew