Regular Coffee | Carton Brewing Company

Carton Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States
cartonbrewing.com

Style: Cream Ale

A Classic Jersey-ism is "regular coffee." Here when you oder a "regular coffee" at any place you trust to make a pork roll and cheese you get a paper cup of coffee with "milk and 2 sugars" rather than a "black coffee that hasn't had the caffeine removed." Acidic bitter coffee flattened by milk and sweetened; the perfect foil for the salty unctuous savor of breakfast on a roll. For our homage to Jersey's breakfast beverage, we teamed up with our neighbors at Fair Mountain Coffee Roasters looking for an elevated version of classic crappy coffee. We chose Mexican Chiapas for its bitterness akin to artichoke, roasting it a little darker than usual, along with Ethiopian Sidamo for its pleasant lemon-like acidity, which we pushed up through fermentation. We added this coffee blend to a high gravity golden cream ale, contributing our "milk and 2 sugars." Drink Regular Coffee because running over a black beer with coffee is no way to get to work.

Added by mikeburd1128 on 12-13-2013

1.86/5  rDev -56%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

On tap at the Beer Shoppe, Ardmore.

Light amber color with a slight haze, and a foamy white head that fizzled down to a tiny ring; minimal lacing. In the nose, Caramel Cremes and distant coffee, booze. The taste was...really pretty bad. Sickeningly sweet caramel and sour cream, cake batter, fusel alcohol, sweet corn, some roast, but any coffee in this was really an afterthought. Mouthfeel was slick and syrupy, with a body like a half-flat soda. The high ABV was definitely there--maybe not all 12%, but it was definitely boozy. Overall, this was a revolting mess. Glad I tried it once, but never again.

2.03/5  rDev -52%

Thanks to the Yogi Berra of traders (except for the deceased part) for this can as an extra. 12 oz. can split with my coffee-loving wife.

The pour is a shock, since I hadn’t read anything about the beer, & my racist tendencies lean towards this being a dark beer, not an IPA-looking thing. But there it is. To my surprise, this doesn’t smell like coffee but more like sweet honey. Hopslam. OK.

Regular Coffee is Weird, capital W. Nothing coffee-like in the aroma or the taste, Really sweet. Corn syrup. Sickly sweet. Where’s the coffee/roast? I don’t know.

False advertising & it gets dinged. Doesn’t taste like anything except a sugar high download, dinged for that. Not sure what happened to this beer, but it’s not a hit here. Not a beer I’d recommend to anyone.

2.08/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz can poured into a 10oz snifter. Purchased from Carton, today. I've heard so much about this, I went out and bought 2 4packs.

Preface. I've never been a fan of Cream Ales, but occasionally, they hit the spot.

Color is a right on for a Cream Ale

Nose is of sugar and not much else

Taste. OMG its a Cream Ale loaded with alcohol! Where's the coffee? It's bitter for a Cream Ale, but no coffee. Halfway thru the can, I start picking up butterscotch, or Cream Soda. This stuff is WAY too sweet. If I wanted a soda laced with alcohol, I'd have gone to the bar and ordered a Cream Soda with grain alcohol. That's pretty much what this tastes like. Kudos for the butterscotch flavor.

Maybe if I age this for a few years it'll taste like beer. Dunno.

2.71/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I agree with the naysayers on this one. I'm a big Carton fan, but I don't get the hype with Regular Coffee. Big and sweet, subdued coffee, looks flat. Meh. It definitely just tastes like an imperial cream ale, which is just something I'd never want.

Full disclosure. I'm from NJ, but I take my coffee black. Maybe this one just isn't for me. 077XX on the other hand...

2.75/5  rDev -35%

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Maybe I'm not a fan of the style. This was extremely sweet. Little to no coffee detected. Tasted more like milk and sugar.

2.87/5  rDev -32.2%

Syrupy sweet with a little coffee finish.

2.96/5  rDev -30%

Really just average all around. I completely don't understand the hype on this one but more power to Carton for getting another beer on the map. Love Boat Beer dearly.

2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

Way too sweet for my liking.

This is an odd bird. I almost can't review it as a beer, as it had no beer qualities outside of appearance. Blindfolded I would have thought I was drinking a chilled coffee soda. The appearance gave no hint of this, it looked like a standard amber/dark golden cream ale.

If you look at this as something of an experimental brew, it surely succeeds in tasting exactly like coffee soda.

If you want something with any of the qualities of a beer outside of appearance, this is the wrong choice for you.

I felt middle of the road ratings were the only appropriate thing to give this, as I feel it probably is doing what it set out to do, but that thing is so odd. I'd rather no longer talk about this beverage.

3.11/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Golden yellow; a tad darker than the average cream ale, but with crisp clarity.

S: Food cart coffee; corny graininess; astringent alcohol presence.

T: Follows the nose. Unexpected (vis-a-vis the color) coffee punch up front, giving way to sweet creamed corn notes appropriate to the style. Alcohol is less prominent than on the nose, but a strong astringent kick lingers.

M: Slick, creamy, and full-bodied, with slight effervescence.

O: An unusual beer, and hard to score. Not much of a to-style cream ale; too strong, and (obviously) featuring a distinct flavor additive. But the corn-based sweetness and alcohol notes bring immediately to mind Genny cream ale. In the end, the flavors ultimately don't quite gel, with the unique sweet/coffee profile giving way to cheap, corny alcohol notes. Lower ABV might serve this brew well.

3.11/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very odd beer. I am glad I got to try it since it is just such a strange brew, overall. I do not get the high rating, however. It is not bad, but I think it is just ok. The coffee and cream ale style do not play well together, in my opinion. The smell is strange and has little coffee. The carbonation is nice and left nice lacing, but it is not a well-integrated beer.

3.12/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Too sweet for my liking.

3.17/5  rDev -25.1%

3.21/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Something was off to me.

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Overtly sweet, malty and hard to drink. It lacks carbonation. Heavy on the stomach, all cream and no coffee. It's like a malt liquor on steroids. No thanks!

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

I don't understand the hype here. It would be a solid imperial version of a cream ale, but I got absolutely no coffee from the aroma or the taste. Big disappointment considering all the high ratings.

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sure it's an imperial cream ale with coffee, which makes it better than any other cream ale, but I don't get it. The hype with this one is weird.

The coffee flavor is so odd. It just tastes like carbonated coffee. Almost like pop like carbonation. I seriously can't figure this beer out it.

3.39/5  rDev -19.9%

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can poured into a can class. The brew appears a slightly hazed golden color with a white cap that retains well.

The smell is sweet with a touch of cocoa and caramel malt. A faint touch of herbal hops. The coffee is very muted but evident across the back with some grassiness.

The taste is sweet and boozy with some contrasting herbal hops that lasts well into the finish. Like the nose, a very faint coffee inclusion that i really dont think id otherwise notice except im looking for it. Hint of mild cocoa aftertaste mixed with grass or something herbal/vegetative.

This is medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. I get the imperial cream ale and think the idea is cool but im not really getting the coffee other than a bit of vegetative aspect. I think the concept is cool and I really wanted to like this but I think its a rare miss from carton.

3.46/5  rDev -18.2%

Not a big coffee guy so take that into rating.

3.46/5  rDev -18.2%