Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

SS Yirgacheffe | Carton Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
SS YirgacheffeSS Yirgacheffe

Carton Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

While playing coffee games last winter, even though they didn’t work for that project, we found ourselves attracted to the bitter lemony notes of cold brewed Ethiopian Yirgacheffe from our partners at Fair Mountain Coffee Roasters. While playing our usual hoppy games recently we were similarly inspired by the lemony bitterness of the new "Lemon Drop" hop from our friends at Hopsteiner. With "SS 2014 Yirgacheffe" we bridge our “Need A Bigger Boat” recipe from 2012 to these flavors with the helping hand of the lemon notes of Sorachi Ace hops. Drink SS 2014 Yirgacheffe (Need A Bigger Boat) because we only turn 3 once.

Added by SadMachine on 08-17-2014

Reviews: 18 | Ratings: 129
Reviews by Ieatlambfries:
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

16oz can, sample from the brewery.

Tiny bubbled lacing, nearly clear amber hue. Smells of light citrusy hops, faint fresh ground coffee, bready malt, & dried pear-like fruitiness. The cold brewed coffee is in there, lots of lemon zest and pith all of which balances out the big malt back bone. Lots of flavor mingling around yet it all works together, warming in the finish but still quite drinkable for the size. A lot of fun to knock this one back.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Re-reviewed on 12/11/15. From a can that is probably about 2 weeks old.

A - Pours a hazy golden color with a finger of head that recedes quickly. Solid lacing though.

S - Nose seems pretty straightforward. Light roast coffee with cream and sugar and some lemon. The nose is so sweet.

T - The coffee just explodes in the beginning. Light, smooth coffee. And the bitterness from the coffee transitions beautifully to the hop bitterness. A lot of lemon on the back end.

M - Creamy feel to it. Moderate carbonation. Very nice.

O - Ultimately the coffee and hops work real well together. The coffee is just so absurdly sweet. After a few sips I felt like I needed to brush my teeth cuz they're coated in sugar. Lingers on the palate forever afterwards too. I think it's a good beer given the circumstances. I guess I just think it could be VASTLY improved.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.6/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm not sure if I just got an old can or what, but I did not like the initial taste (very malty to me) and the after taste was a little funky. As much as I love 077XX, I am a little upset as I was expecting this to be great. I'll try again another time to see if indeed this was just an old can.

3.87/5  rDev -7%

3.91/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.37/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

SS Yirgacheffe from Carton Brewing Company