Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

077XX | Carton Brewing Company

#718

Ratings: 1,355 |  Reviews: 165

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Acquired via trade from tzieser so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 16oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains strong floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste likewise starts out with a strong floral hops bitterness that is quickly followed by a nice fruity citrus sweetness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, this is a solid 2IPA to drink for a long time.

4.66/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solid IPA. Enjoyed this on draft at a local taproom. Drank well with hints of citrus and other fruit notes. Great aroma before the first sip.

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy yellow gold with rich foamy head and sticky lacing. Smells of very nice citrus, hops, floral. The taste is very good, big hoppy bite with a soft citrus wave washing over your taste buds. A mellow sweetness blended in and some minor dryness. A medium feel all around. This is a very nice DIPA.

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -4%

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

07/06/17

Can to snifter.

LOOK: golden yellow, clear, medium white head.
AROMA: peach, mango, papaya. Very fruity.
TASTE: Not so much fruit, more resinous pine. Hair spray finish.
FEEL: thick for an IPA. Short on carbonation.

OK.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a CANderful day this has been! I CANpletely eschewed the Bottle Backlog in favor of a momentary return to The CANQuest (tm) & it has paid off in major dividends, like unCANvering forgotten CANs.

From the CAN: "Like all things truly Jersey, 077XX makes the most in balancing through its accentuation of extremes. Inspired by the west coast IPAs we love, we added a thump of hops to a dynamic malt profile and chose a yeast to drive these two further than they wanted to go. Throw our water into this mix and you will find dank green resinous hops popping over orange, mango and papaya aromas, with just enough sweetness of body to make the long finish a pleasure to have around. Drink 0’Dub when your night matters."

Having Crack!ed the CAN open, I debated on an inverted Glug, but settled on a gentle one, instead. My in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with modest retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) while the CAN identified it as a solid 5. So be it! Nose was a tropical fruit bomb!

There was a time when we in the P.I. for an extended stay & I had my personal favorite. I kept getting warned not to fall in love & get married, which I never did, but she was the best! She would cook, sew my uniforms & generally do anything that I asked of her. We were quite an item & Mama-san was worried that she might lose her to me. I kept telling both of them that I was not getting married, but it would fall on deaf ears. One night, I showed up & all of the rooms were occupied. I shrugged & pointed to a hammock in the corner of the ersatz dance floor. Both were initially shocked, but once we were situated (facing cowgirl), the place erupted! We became a show unto ourselves for a while. The money (literally) showered down on us & I was eating like a king. Mama-san noted that I really dug fresh fruit & upon arriving the one night, she & my girl had fashioned an entire outfit from local fruit. I literally peeled her out of it as we writhed in the hammock, creating fresh-squeezed fruit juice. We were a sticky, pleasurable mess when the SPs showed up & I ran back to the base, just ahead of them.

Why this sea story? The nose on this beer was totally evocative of that tropical fruit salad! Mango, guava, papaya, a touch of grapefruit & I was off & running. Mouthfeel was dense & creamy, tropical fruit in heavy syrup. Heavy, man! The taste was fruity, but musky, not at all sweet. Papaya or guava? One of them has the taste & texture of p**sy. This beer had the heady, musky, dusky taste of cunnilingus. Whew! It was the forbidden fruitiness mentioned in The Bible.

One is not supposed to know of such things & if you do, thou shalt not speak of it. Ah, well. I am CANsigned to Hell anyway, so one more crushing stone on my chest shouldn't make a difference. "More ... weight," cried Giles Corey & so does Bro. Woody.

Finish was dry, but fruity, if that CAN be a CANbination. Not all fruit is sweet, nor was this beer sweet, albeit fruity. I CAN't believe how good this was! More, please, Mssrs. Carton.

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%