077XX | Carton Brewing Company

4.27/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,350 |  Reviews: 164
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cheers to markgugs for this one! Stellar lacing & above average head retention

Pours an effervescent gold with a pinky of pearl white head.

S: Citrus, breadyness, traces of booze

T: Grapefruit & pineapple, plus breadyness & a little pineyness up front. Grapefruit, dryness & breadyness as this warms, a little pineapple & boozeyness too. Finishes with grapefruit, pine needles, dryness & faint breadyness

MF: Medium bodied, fairly fluffy carbonation, skews hoppy

Easy drinkability, a damn fine DIPA, a better nose may have pulled this in to near elite territory

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a CANderful day this has been! I CANpletely eschewed the Bottle Backlog in favor of a momentary return to The CANQuest (tm) & it has paid off in major dividends, like unCANvering forgotten CANs.

From the CAN: "Like all things truly Jersey, 077XX makes the most in balancing through its accentuation of extremes. Inspired by the west coast IPAs we love, we added a thump of hops to a dynamic malt profile and chose a yeast to drive these two further than they wanted to go. Throw our water into this mix and you will find dank green resinous hops popping over orange, mango and papaya aromas, with just enough sweetness of body to make the long finish a pleasure to have around. Drink 0’Dub when your night matters."

Having Crack!ed the CAN open, I debated on an inverted Glug, but settled on a gentle one, instead. My in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with modest retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) while the CAN identified it as a solid 5. So be it! Nose was a tropical fruit bomb!

There was a time when we in the P.I. for an extended stay & I had my personal favorite. I kept getting warned not to fall in love & get married, which I never did, but she was the best! She would cook, sew my uniforms & generally do anything that I asked of her. We were quite an item & Mama-san was worried that she might lose her to me. I kept telling both of them that I was not getting married, but it would fall on deaf ears. One night, I showed up & all of the rooms were occupied. I shrugged & pointed to a hammock in the corner of the ersatz dance floor. Both were initially shocked, but once we were situated (facing cowgirl), the place erupted! We became a show unto ourselves for a while. The money (literally) showered down on us & I was eating like a king. Mama-san noted that I really dug fresh fruit & upon arriving the one night, she & my girl had fashioned an entire outfit from local fruit. I literally peeled her out of it as we writhed in the hammock, creating fresh-squeezed fruit juice. We were a sticky, pleasurable mess when the SPs showed up & I ran back to the base, just ahead of them.

Why this sea story? The nose on this beer was totally evocative of that tropical fruit salad! Mango, guava, papaya, a touch of grapefruit & I was off & running. Mouthfeel was dense & creamy, tropical fruit in heavy syrup. Heavy, man! The taste was fruity, but musky, not at all sweet. Papaya or guava? One of them has the taste & texture of p**sy. This beer had the heady, musky, dusky taste of cunnilingus. Whew! It was the forbidden fruitiness mentioned in The Bible.

One is not supposed to know of such things & if you do, thou shalt not speak of it. Ah, well. I am CANsigned to Hell anyway, so one more crushing stone on my chest shouldn't make a difference. "More ... weight," cried Giles Corey & so does Bro. Woody.

Finish was dry, but fruity, if that CAN be a CANbination. Not all fruit is sweet, nor was this beer sweet, albeit fruity. I CAN't believe how good this was! More, please, Mssrs. Carton.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16oz can, sample from the brewery.

Bright golden color, slight haze. Froth leaves a trail of lace down the glass. Lots of citrus zest, pith, and some rind in the nose and on the palate. Good malt backbone, some tropical fruit, and a kiss of warmth from the alcohol. Spot on from body to nose to flavor, near perfection here.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

From 10/08/11 notes. I was at a bar in Red Bank (forget the name but it's relatively new and a block from Count Basie Theatre) with a pretty good beer selection, and noticed a tap handle that said "Carton Brewing Company". Having never heard of the brewery, I began talking to the bartender who told me it was a new local brewery in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey, and that this was their Double IPA, and that it was "about 8%". I asked him if it had a specific name, but he said it was just sold to them as their Double IPA. Served in a pint glass.a

a - Pours a murky orange amber color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, tropical fruits, fruity malts, oranges, and light pine hops. Loads of fresh citrus hops and tropical fruits, and really fresh an enjoyable.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, lemon, oranges, fruit malts, and light tropical fruits again. Not quite as hoppy as the nose, but still very enjoyable.

m - Medium bodied DIPA and moderate carbonation. No real bitterness, and pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall I really liked this DIPA, especially the nose. Lots of fresh hops and fruit, I'd love to have this one again. The next day I saw a different Carton beer at the growler station of a local beer store, and wish I had grabbed it. Not sure how long this brewery has been around for yet, but a great start and I look forward to trying more beers from them.

EDIT: The name of this beer is "077XX" and the ABV is 7.9% ABV.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

1-liter growler poured into a snifter. It poures as a clear golden copper color with more than a finger of frothy off-white sids. Some patchy strings of lace paint the glass as the cap fades. Overall a solid looking DIPA.

The aroma is a bold bouquet of hops that are rindy, herbal, catty and almost cheesy with a fruity to floral accompaniment and faint sulfur addition. A touch of grainy backing with a sort of neitral alcohol inclusion.

The flavor is all hops that are catty to cheesy. Somewhat dank and slightky sulfuric like the aroma suggested. A bit herbal to grassy with rinds and pulp elements. A very slight dry biscuit to straw-like grain inclusion is noticed across the back. It is not excessively bitter but aggressive enough to get your attention.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is dry with assertive hops that are complex and enjoyable. For only my 2nd carton offering in 2 years, color me impressed with these guys. I'll be on the lookout to try some of their ofher stuff.

077XX from Carton Brewing Company