Monkey Chased The Weasel | Carton Brewing Company

Style: Berliner Weissbier

MONKEY CHASED THE WEASEL
Sour Ale
ABV: 3.9% | IBU: Sour | SRM: Ojo de Gallo

The backyard of our brewery has a mulberry tree that drops its fruit in the first days of summer. We moved into our building during early summer 2011, tracking a bright purple path through our new home with every laden step. It was then we decided: if mulberry was going to get that deep into the brewery, it probably should get into a beer as well. Stealing a process from Berliners, we let the lactics in a wheated mash sour up to a green apple/lemon level, accentuating the bright side of the mulberry profile. Meant for quaffing when there is no reason to avoid direct sunlight on balmy summer days, drink Monkey Chased The Weasel because there is more sun than moon at the top.

Added by claspada on 06-15-2012

4.73/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer. My official brew of summer. Light and refreshing with just the right amount of pucker for a sour. Sad it won't be back this year but hoping the new sour is even better.

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

Thanks go out to DSlim71 for hooking me up with this. I cant thank you enough for looking out for me when a new berliner comes onto your radar. Much appreciated my friend! Poured from a 1-liter swingtop into a berliner style bowl. The brew pours a clear golden color just a tiny shade deeper and darker than the typical berliner but still attractive looking. A soft creamy finger of white head sits atop the brew with solid retaining powers for the style. As the cap fades, it leaves some spots and a webby pattern of lace sticking to the glass. A light swirl brings a finger back to the surface.

The aromatics are pretty solid for the style. It opens with lemony lactic character that warns you that this is going to be tart. Deeper smells reveal sulfur initially that swirl out of solution and give way to a bit of floor malted pilsner character mixed with a hint of something along the lines of yogurt and a very faint touch of corn. As it warms up, a bit of fresh grainy quality is present almost like cereal. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is a fruity thing going on through this that I can't quite pinpoint but it adds a very nice complexity to the nose of this brew. If we could reduce the focus of sulfur that appears at times in this brew, this would be flawless.

The taste is spot on for the style as well. It opens with a mild flavor of fresh wheat that persists as the baseline throughout this brew. Hints of tartness from the wheat are present that get really exaggerated by some lactic character that brings forth a fruity quality mostly like lemon. A very faint amount of sulfur is noted that transitions into almost a grassy note of hops but that dissolves very quickly into more of a earthy fruit flavor like pear or apple skins that mixes with hints of yogurt. The aftertaste returns to a fresh wheat grainy quality that contrasts the lemony tartness with just a hint of perceived sweetness.

This is a light bodied brew with a moderately high level of carbonation that keeps this brew light and refreshing. Super easy drinking to say the least but carries a surprising amount of complexity. This example is everything I look for in the style. I have never heard of Carton Brewing prior to Dan telling me about this growler he was sending me. My hat goes off to them, this brew is worth seeking out. I hope it is a staple in their lineup because I wouldn't mind having this again!

After the fact edit: freaking mulberries! Never would have guessed that based on how it didn't impart any discoloration in the brew.

Monkey Chased The Weasel from Carton Brewing Company