Kentucky Ryed Chiquen | Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse

Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse
Kentucky, United States
atgbrewery.com

Style: Rye Beer

An amber ale brewed with rye malt and aged in rye whiskey barrels. Our first barrel aged beer here at Against the Grain is the Kentucky Ryed Chiquen. Named so because it was made in Kentucky, has a lot of Rye in it and was aged in rye barrels and it's not Chicken. As we all know (or should know) Chiquen refers to anything that is not chicken.
Now that we have all that straight, we will talk about what is in this beer. Brewed with Maris Otter from the UK and rye malt and caramel rye from Germany, imparting a spicy, fruity and dry flavor. Then hopped with enough English Nugget and Kent Goldings just to balance and fermented with our house ale yeast. After fermentation we moved the entire batch into the AtG private dining room and into used Redemption Rye barrels from our good friends at Strong's Spirits. There it aged for 5 weeks until we felt it had picked up the right amount of residual bourbon character and oak flavors. We then transferred it to our serving tank, carbonated it and the end result is on tap now, a balanced drinkable and complex barrel aged beer.

Added by mrfrancis on 02-20-2012

3.7

4.49/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

OMFG! I scored a non-feathered bottle at H-'n'-G a while back, but I have been holding off for company before opening it ever since. I had an impromptu visitor who was amenable and so out it came!

From the bottle: "Cluck Cluck"; "The Chiqun has come home to roost! You asked for anything but chicken ... so here you go! An original rye amber ale recipe aged in bourbon barrels hatched right here in Kentucky! Kentucky Ryed Chiquen is malty and mellow, but has quite the barrel-aged bite."; "Rye beer aged in Bourbon barrels"; "Phantom Stab"; "Anything But Chicken"; "We've got a bleeder!"

I had to first peel away part of the label before I could Pop! the cap. This, in and of itself, was a reminder to be gentle on the pour. Once accomplished, I had a couple of awaiting tumblers for us. I poured so slowly that we grew impatient, but an in-glass swirl raised a finer of dense, light-tan head with decent retention. Peering into the glass in the harsh sunlight, the color revealed itself to be Amber to Deep Amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. I could take this beer to the local recycling center & clean up on CU prices! Nose was pungent with rye and bourbon! There were notes of vanilla, coconut & black pepper, but it was the rye bourbon that held forth, caught my attention & would not let go. Mouthfeel was smooth & creamy. The taste was a cool riot of peppery, minty, pepperminty coconut with a bit of oaky woodiness. OMFG! This was SOOO good! I have been accused/vilified/called out as an alcoholic, but beer is not (generally) what causes the onset of the disease. It is usually wine and (especially) hard liquor. My Achilles heel is/was/shall be Rye Whisky. Where I do not (generally) like Bourbon, I adore its offspring of Rye. Finish was the cool, smooth, semi-sweet/semi-dry kiss of Rye Whisky. Never indulged? Even in its cheapest rotgut form, it is still more pleasant than most whiskies. This was so good that I am inspired to have a finger of Rye before I take my shower & go out for the day.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

When I opened thebomber it hideously gushed on me. I didn't expect this from a barrel aged beer. Probably this beer was infected though I didn't get a sign aside from the gushing, high CO2 and typical foam. Smell was dirty Bourbon barrel and taste was smoky and earthy but not in a good way. A shame that I paid the high price for it. In the beginning I almost drained it but the it was OK.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Like a caramel vanilla alcohol drink - but not really a beer. Not really detecting rye or hops, just a hint on the nose. Medium body but minimal carbonation - kind of flat.

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.67/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.62/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev +8.6%