Dude Do Tang | Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse

atgbrewery.com

Style: American Porter

Added by ZombiesAteMyDog on 07-24-2012

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smoked Brown Porter with orange zest, 5.9%

Decided to abandon the last half of my Dork Lard and get something else. Apparently they always have a smoke beer on tap, which is awesome, especially for those of us who are fancy enough to appreciate a nice digestif. Also, it is fucking excellent to see breweries playing up malt complexities.

Smoke nodes are pretty tame on this one, making it more of quaffable smokey beer than an intense, night-finishing rauchbier. The citrus nodes actually make this one very sessionable, which at first I found a little offputting but then I kept drinking and began to like it quite a bit. Sort of like squeezing an orange over a Hickory Farms gift package, only without having to consume gross pork flesh.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

From the ATG site:

"ABV: 5.50% IBUs: 25.00 O.G.: 12.70°

Smokey, Chocolatey,...Orangey??? That's right a smoked brown porter with orange zest. We start out with Maris Otter base malt and add cherry smoked malt, chocolate and honey malt giving a sweet smokey and chocolatey beer. Then the zest of many oranges is added after the boil to complement this beer's smooth and complex flavors."

A- Looks like thin coffee with a small khaki head and slight lacing.

S- The smell is a bit muddled together. I pick out a lot of earthy smoke with a clean acidic finish (which I guess is coming from the orange zest). Baker's chocolate and some sweet caramel is bubbling around in the middle.

T- Smokey and chocolaty, indeed. I'm not normally big on smokey beer, but this adds a nice earthy balance to the porter base. The burnt porter taste is not as strong due to the smoke; they take turns weaving in and out. There's a slight orange zest in the finish, which is nice, but I wish it was slightly more pronounced.

M- This is a nice summer porter: smooth, thin, and not overpowering. It's also not too heavy for a July release.

O- This reminds me more of a smoked English brown ale. However, I think this is my first brown porter that I'm aware of. This is an easy-drinking, almost-session brew that's well balanced yet complex. I'm glad ATG is so close to me...

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%