Against The Grain / To Øl An Ale Pleasure - Oak-Aged | Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse
Kentucky, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by MasterSki on 06-07-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 11
Reviews by ddedhed:

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow, Tørst knows what beers to put on their menu. I was thrilled to have ended my drinking night with this beauty. If you can find it, please enjoy this beer, not for me but for humanity.

I wish I had the opportunity to take a growler fill of this back to my apartment but sadly it was only the beginning of my night in Brooklyn. I loved the way this beer attached to my tastebuds and how it just made me feel as if I was melting like butter.

Thank you Tørst!

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Northdown. Served in a snifter.

A - Dark tan foam settles to a thick collar, partial cap, and splotches of lacing. Pitch black body.

S - Deep roast, anise, oak, some light molasses, a hint of smoke, and well-hidden alcohol. A good balance of sweetness and roast here, with well-integrated oak flavors. Don't get any overt spirit character, so curious what this was aged in/on.

T - The taste is significantly more charry and oaky; it's actually a bit rough for my tastes. Burnt malts, a bit of tar and ash, and a roasty, bitter, espresso finish. Not enough sweetness for my palate; lacks the balance of the aroma. This is definitely To Øl's aesthetic, as Against the Grain's stouts tend to be quite sweet.

M - Dry, oaky, toasted grain texture. Medium in body that seems a bit lighter than the listed 11%. Slightly sticky finish, with some mild alcohol warmth.

D - Smelled really promising, but unfortunately has too much of the stereotypical Scandinavian ash and char for my palate. It's a shame, as the aroma was pretty awesome. Might improve a bit with some age, as oxidation tends to add sweetness over time.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Against The Grain / To Øl An Ale Pleasure - Oak-Aged from Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse