Tropical Segway Kitten | Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

As far as I know, this is the first release of this beer. Coming in with 130 IBUs, it fits the standard for a DIPA well. The first thing I noticed was the that the head was a little thin and dissipated quickly. Pours a very slightly hazy, golden brown color. Smells as most any good IPA would, though somehow not as overpoweringly hoppy as I expected after reading the description (below). As far as the taste goes, it has a bit of a sour mouthfeel mixed with the hops, but the finish is what I wasn't ready for - notably sweet. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad, it's growing on me as I continue enjoying it.

Overall, I'd recommend this one. Don't go too far out of your way to try it, but definitely worth a drink. I'm not upset with having a full growler ahead of me.

From the brewery:

ABV: 10.2% IBU: 130 OG: 23.0P

"This beer is a work of fiction. Any similarities to any other beer, living or dead, are purely coincidental. This is a gentle giant of a double IPA. Sure, the malt bill is rather large. Sure, it’s a little boozy. Sure, the hop bill is completely unreasonable. But that’s no reason to get so aggressive. Let’s all just relax and soak in the complex blend of German and American malts. Let’s kick back and bask in the heightened IBUs holding up the earthy, fruity, grapefuity, lemony, piney, myrcene-heavy flavors provided by late hopping with Sorachi Ace, Simcoe, and Falconer’s Flight hops and dry hopping with Centennial and Citra hops. Just chill out and throw one back in the hot, hot sun."

Tropical Segway Kitten from Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse