Conductor's Craft Ale | Junction Craft Brewing

Conductor's Craft AleConductor's Craft Ale

Junction Craft Brewing
Ontario, Canada
junctioncraftbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Conductor’s Craft Ale fits broadly into the pale ale category, though we think of it more as a hybrid of traditional British, German, and American brewing techniques used to arrive at a hop complexity that constantly changes in the glass as it warms up and a drinker drinks more. With Conductor’s we wanted to tip our hats to ‘pioneer’ craft beers like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Anchor Liberty Ale, but at the same time the beer had to be balanced and drinkable to allow a drinker to enjoy more than one.

We used 5 different malts from Germany, France, Britain and Canada to give Conductor’s a biscuity, toasted, caramel base, and a combination of 5 different hops from Germany, the Czech Republic and the Pacific Northwest of the USA. To finish the beer we designed and built in-house a ‘hopback’ mechanism that infuses the hop aromas into the beer in line from the kettle as the beer goes into the fermenter. We use whole leaf hops of Cascade and spicy German Tetnanger in the hopback to provide a unique and intense hop aroma that is familiar but uniquely presented.

Sometimes a lot of thought goes into making something simple and enjoyable. The way we look at it, we do the thinking so you can relax and enjoy the drinking.

Added by Sammy on 09-25-2011

1.81/5  rDev -47.8%

Honestly this was the second worst beer I've ever tasted. Did not expect it to be so terrible tasting. I found it incredibly bitter and I couldn't finish it. The smell and everything else was decent and so I was pretty excited about it. Maybe it was expired or something? It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews but I personally found it way too bitter

2.29/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

See: Looks good in my mug. I love the long lasting suds and their white sand color. Beautiful lacing around the majority of the glass. A 1/4 inch border with a nice healthy film seems to want to stay, so i'll try not to drink it away.

Hear: This beer screams, "drink me already, will ya?" I reply, "no, I have to smell you first".

Smell: Kinda sharp... burns my eyes. 'Yikes', I think. I whiff again and ..mmm....coffee with 2 creams and 1 1/2 sugar. Now I'm getting Coffee Crisp chocolate bar. My fave.

Taste: Oh man... Should have quit while this beer was (or should i say "had") a head. So bitter from the start. "Ealghhchxsh!" Honestly, I don't even want to drink any more of it. I will, though, because it still looks so good. ..."mmmgff"...It tastes like the floor of my attic (and the only reason I know how that tastes, is because i tripped on something up there and did a lip stand). Actually, .."chplag", this beer reminds me of the stuff my Mom used to put on my fingernails to keep me from biting them when I was 13. That is exactly what this is like! ...Ok, I just burped...thanks God, for not letting it be worse. Hey, ..its better. My burp is better than the beer, itself. Interesting...

Feel: Don't even ask me what my mouth feels like, right now.

Blanket: Yes please, so I can cover it up.

AKA: Better Burp

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.87/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.88/5  rDev -17%

Got this one at the LCBO. Cool looking can for sure.

From a 16oz can into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, slightly looser, off-white head with decent retention. Burnt orange in color, clear, with lower levels of carbonation. Head fades to a thin film. Only a ring remains until the end leaving dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Pale malts, caramel notes, some light citrus aromas, but slightly mute, unfortunately.

TASTE: Better than the nose. Pale malts, some caramel sweetness up front, then some hop bitterness at the swallow. Light caramel, bread notes and decent floral hops linger on the palate. Good bitterness as well, despite the lower IBU.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Semi-creamy on the palate, goes down fine and finishes dry on the palate.

OVERALL: Okay. Better than some of the generic pale ales on the market, but still nothing really worth writing home about. It had enough character to make me want to finish the can, but not enough to make me want to go back.

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

This beer did not wow me after reading such great reviews and seeing this beer at the top of several craft beer lists.

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

Great looking beer. Clear amber with a good head that settles to a heavy film and leaves really good lace.

After that, straight average. Mild caramel nose. Nicely bitter to drink, some caramel, but not tons going on otherwise. Bitterness from hops lingers, quite dry ultimately. But some odd taste note to it as well. An uneventful brew.

3.11/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

473ml can I picked up from the brewery. This beer is everywhere in the 'hood nowadays.

Nice pale ale colour. One-inch head.

Nothing particularly dominant or distinctive in the aroma.

I get that they're trying to do a bit of everything with this beer (5 malts! 5 hops! It's American! It's British! It's German!), but I'd be lying if I said I tasted much of anything besides a sort-of burnt-tasting roasty malt that doesn't belong in an APA. It's just not that good.

Decent carbonation.

I desperately want to like this one, but just don't see the point of all the care and gimmickry the guys at Junction have put into it.

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

On-tap at Beerbistro in Toronto.

A: Crystal clear pale copper body under a finger of ultrafine tan head. Great retention, lots of delicate lace. Excellent.

S: Buttery and biscuity. Diacetyl and malt are both prominent, with vaguely herbal hops in the distant background. I suppose it's an ok aroma for an English-style Pale Ale, but it certainly isn't what I was expecting based on the description.

T: Better here, with the German hops giving some nice spicy, leafy notes up front before the buttered toast flavor of the malt can take over. Bittersweet finish with some lingering herbal hoppiness. Not my favorite take on the style, but drinkable enough.

M: Lively, frothy light-to-medium body. Insubstantial to a fault.

O: It's not a bad beer by any stretch, but it's certainly no better than average overall. 3 it is.

Cheers!

3.27/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.31/5  rDev -4.6%

On tap at the Burger Bar. A little cheezy aroma. one-quarter of an inch of retained head. Lacy. More hop taste as it warms. Decent and drinkable, IBu tastes in the 50-60 Ipa range from use of a melange of 5 hops.Serviceable amber ale.Average mouthfeel.
I had this on tap several weeks later at the Hole in the Wall and it was better. Still the aroma..

3.32/5  rDev -4.3%

A-Clear dark orange with a white head that dissipates quickly
S- basic sweet malty aroma on the nose
M-Medium high carbonation
T-A slight notch above the standard
O-An enjoyable standard brew. There is a hop variety that is used that I am not a fan of. After a primary buzz with a solid beer, this might fill the void but not much more.

3.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -3.5%