Point The Way IPA | Golden Road Brewing

Liked:
3.58/5
Alströms:

3.85/5  rDev +7.5%

On tap at Tony's Darts Away in Burbank, CA.

Pours a hazy light orange with a 1 inch puffy tan head that fades to a small cap. A foamy curtain of lace lines the glass on the drink down. Smell is mainly of hops with some floral, herbal, and pine aromas. Somewhat subdued smells overall. Taste is of herbal and floral hops, grapefruit, and citrus zest. Mild bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty tasty hop forward IPA.

2.72/5  rDev -24%

Served on-draught into a stange at a hotel bar. Expectations were low given their other draught offerings. The cost was something ridiculous even during happy hour; I think it might have been $6.00 or thereabouts. It was this or American macroshite.

Paired with spinach and artichoke dip.

A: Pours a one finger head which is quite thin, of beige colour, with bad thickness (i.e. it's thin), and average retention. Colour is a clear dull copper. Not at all vibrant. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Bittering hops. Somewhat stale. Dryness; hints of fruit. Some pine. Seems imbalanced. A mild strength aroma.

T: Imbalanced, as predicted. Some indistinct fruit and bland hops (mainly bittering). The bitterness is covered only by clean malts and water, creating a weak empty body. Boring and bland. Uninspired. Quite simple. Built generically and badly. No layering or subtlety here, lads. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with hints of coarseness. Watery and a bit thin. Adequately carbonated. Doesn't suit the flavours very well, but it doesn't outright run against them. The mouthfeel is certainly not tailored to the taste.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable and boring. There's nothing special here; move right along. I wouldn't get it again or recommend it - even to fans of the style. Quite underwhelming.

Wouldn't age well.

Might pair well with spicy food.

Drank just fine out of a stange.

High C-

3.08/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: Pours a clear goldenrod with a modest head that leaves a few splashes

Smell: Vaguely bready and vaguely hoppy; a rather grainy aroma

Taste: Bready, up front, with a bitter, grainy finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Rather unusual for a West Coast IPA as there is no citrus or floral character; the hops add bitterness but little flavor

Thanks, Madirish76, for the opportunity

3.06/5  rDev -14.5%

Fresh can from K&L.

Pours a slightly hazy copper. Two fingers of head rise and sustain pretty nicely.

Nose is heavy on caramel malts, orange flesh, grapefruit and bread. Surprisingly malty for the modest ABV, and a bit yeasty too, with a slight bubblegum note.

Palate offers more of the same. An even mix of caramel malt, breadiness, citrus (primarily orange), and offputting yeast flavors. Was this fermented with Belgian yeast? It's slightly phenolic and estery, and there's a distinct bubblegum flavor.

Overall this is pretty weak stuff, but not terrible in any particular way. Just a mediocre recipe.

3.57/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to PretzelCity for this one, my first from the brewery, and maybe my first from L.A. Gotta love cans, esp tall boys!

Pours a fizzy 1 finger head that fades fairly quickly, hints of lacing, over mostly clear slight chill hazy orange golden color.

Nose has plenty of fruit hops, hint of pine and some resinous fresh wet hop aromas, light grapefruit and tangerine, bit of citrus, little mango, maybe even hint of passion fruit, fluffy hops, and the slightest hint of malts pushing the hops upwards.

Taste starts with light hops, somewhat resinous with more fresh hop flavors, juicy hops all around with nice fruity flavors, tropical fruits with hints of grapefruit and passion fruit again, bit of tangerine citrus, hint of orange peel but not much, and a slight pine. The malts just fall off the stage, barely any malts to be seen, or tasted, and the body falls with it it seems. The hops deliver a nice bitter punch, but with no sweetness or malty body to anchor it the hops just shoot off into space. And I do like the west coast style IPAs, but this just goes a bit to far with the lack of malts. Finish is dry, little oily hop resin, with a decent bitter kick, hints of pine and resinous hops with bit of tropical fruit all lingering for a while.

Mouth is flat, fairly light, decent carb though.

Overall not bad, it has a nice hop character but the malts are so non-existant the hops have no platform to lay on and make the beer fall a little flat. If the malts were a bit bigger, or maybe higher final gravity it would feel a bit better and balance a bit more.

3.59/5  rDev +0.3%

Huge foam-up in the Stella glass. Like whipped cream, every pour. Nice flowery hop aroma. Light bodied.

A little bready flavor with some sweetness. Slightly resiny. Some earthy taste, but just enough to be interesting. Rather bitter as you sip, and seems to intensify at the finish. Not in hop overdose style, and more of a session beer. A touch of plastic, or maybe buckwheat in the aftertaste. Tastes almost like there is some rye in the brew.

I might like it better if it was just a little cleaner and crisper, but this seems to follow a mellower path. A worthy gulp, beery and drinkable enough. From the 16 oz can.

4.15/5  rDev +15.9%

Ah yes, it is time again for New Woody's CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0005?) being as how I was disinvited from the original thread by threat and force. As such, I am inclusional and welcome others to join me in an impassioned quest to review CANned beers on The CANQuest (TM), a misguided effort to review all CANned beers.

From the CAN: "At Golden Road Brewing, we love the hoppy goodness of today's Californian IPAs. When I asked Meg and Tony to taste a pilot batch that captured those flavors with a 5.2% alcohol content, they immediately responded, 'Point the Way.' Cheers, [undersigned] John Carpenter".

What a loud Crack! I may be more penetrable (as opposed to impenetrable) than usual, following a tough day of real ale.

I held an inverted Glug much closer to my laptop than I should have, following an aggro pour that partially went into my keyboard and rendered me (and it) inoperable for an extended period. It was actually a blessing in disguise as I got a new keyboard and a buncha memory from my tech and this baby is flying! I plan to make up for lost time as a result.

I ended up with a finger of dense, tawny head that looked like the top of a soft-serve hervanilla ice cream cone. Apparently, the current mayor (not for much longer, if I have anything to do with it) got a noise ordinance passed that prohibits Mr. Softee from playing his truck's music after 8 PM. Me = sad. I was brightened up by the oh-so-slightly-hazy deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) ale in my glass, however. Nose smelled of pine forest, which was curious, since the CAN depicted palm trees. I spent over half of my naval career in Cali and not once did I get a scent from a palm tree! There was also a nice caramel presence underlying the hops and when I looked over, my left arm had been miraculously tied off with my belt.

Did I mention that I am not just a hophead? I am a self-avowed hops junkie, albeit on a maintenance program. I ran down the rabbit hole, following that hot little blondie named Alice, a while back and soon found that there was no coming back. The raging, screeching monkey on my back has subsided, but I CAN no longer experience hoppy beers in the same nonchalant way as I used to.

Pulling the needle from the vein and the glass from my lips, I sat back, breathless. Oh, man. Jeez, Louise, it's a gas when I geez. The mouthfeel was soft and pillowy, caressing my tongue like the gentlest of lovers with my genitals. Schlitz used to talk of "Just a kiss of hops", but this was like a French Kiss! It rolled around on my tongue like a new girlfriend on high thread count sheets, languoring and rubbing around. This would be in stark (naked) CANtrast to some AIPAs that came on like gangbusters, kicking my teeth in, scrubbing the enamel off of them and then setting to work on my poor, bruised tongue with jackhammers. Speaking of jackhammers, I looked over at the now half-full (optimist) glass and the lacing that had formed was going to take a jackhammer to remove!

Coming from L. A., I began to hear Jim Morrison singing to me. Point (me) The Way to the next AIPA ... Oh, don't ask why.

Man, if I had known that I was going to be spiking it tonight, I would never have dropped a quarter-tab on my way home. This wasn't a beer, it was a happening. I called my babes-in-waiting, Gayle and Emma, and upon arrival, they set to work. They dig my action, just the way that I was digging this beer. The finish was earthy, which was mind-blowing, thanks to its being unexpected. Remember, kids, it's only kinky the first time. The ladies were likewise earthy, as expected and only kinky to the uninitiated.

Wow, this beer made me want to revisit L. A. and I don't know that I have ever said such a thing. Maybe I'll give fellow Stiller fan Snoop a ring-a-ding and see what his gig is like. I know that he is an herbalist. Onward!

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

The beer is amber in color with an off-white head. Starts off with spicy, grassy, and citrus peel hops. There is some bread, very mild pineapple, and a bit of caramel. The flavor is a bit on the sweet side, but not overly so. Hop notes are grass, floral, and mild citrus, mostly citrus peel. Caramel and toffee malt flavors with just a hint of sweet fruit. Not the hugest fan of this.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Point The Way IPA from Golden Road Brewing