Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by womencantsail on 08-07-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 514

This is a really good beer. Creeps up on you too. My only complaint about this brew is consistancy. From can to can I'm getting different tastes. Maybe it wasn't stored properly. Some have a little skunk in them but definetly worth a try. I'm sure if it was fresher it would be worthy of a higher rating.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16oz. can into a pint mason jar. Dated 03/04/14

A - Hazy but bright yellow-amber. Leaves only a thin foam collar and sparse patches of lacing.

S - Musty, funky, fruity, herbaceous...sort of a medium zone between bright and dank.

T - The bitterness hits hard when sipping but doesn't linger, paving the way for the fruity, weedy, grassy, pinesap-esque flavors to dominate. Mild-medium malt backbone. This one's a toughy to nail down but is still quite flavorful. Finishes fairly dry.

M - No alcohol burn. It's a bit heavier feeling than most IPA's, but the carbonation keeps it from being really thick and chewy. Gets smoother as you keep drinking.

Overall - This one drinks real easy if you're an IPA kind of guy. It's a really interesting middle point between the crisp, clean, floral DIPA's and the dark, rich, syrupy flavored ones. Wolf among Weeds is an appropriate name, as its flavor is quite reminiscent of weed, in both the invasive plant and medicinal plant meanings.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

I had this on tap at Torrey Pints in Whole Foods, in La Jolla for breakfast at about 1045.

My first impression of this beer was, it looks luscious. The strong smell of pine and hops also helped me come to that conclusion. The smell is also sweet and floral. The body was a hazy, light orange. The head was thin and white. Just how I like them. The smell was of pungent hops and pine. It smelled like weed. The taste of this very good IPA was of hops, weed, and pine. Juicy, sweet, and flavorful. It had a nice classic West Coast IPA taste, with weed as the dominating flavor. It had medium carbonation and medium to light density.

Overall, I was impressed with this beer coming out of LA. I will keep my eye out for this in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Big bright golden body pours into a nonic pint with no problems. Head is off white layered and luscious forms nicely above the glowing golden body. Aroma hops explode on the nares what a great smell, herbaceous herbal, citric hops, with big juicy ripened pineapple. Flavor full of juicy resinous hops, citrus peel, pineapple juice, even mango with tropical fruit. This is something else really drinkable with incredible hop notes, nothing like this exists on the east coast. Mouthfeel is oily and resinous bringing the dank hop oils with the tropical fruit to soften the blow of the hop bitterness, a bit of alcohol warmth but nothing that is too hot for the palate to enjoy this fine creation. Overall, I'm a huge fan of this beer since my first sip yesterday during a sampling session with wvsabbath to this full pint glass full of all the west coast hop glory.

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

A -Pours a hazy, wheaty yellow with nice head and lacing. Looks like one of the new school hazy, unfiltered, farmhouse sort of ales, ala Hills Farmstead and Tired Hands.

S - Nose is hoppy for sure, but in a nondescript sort of way. There's lemon, honey and pine, along with musty wheat.

T - Really crisp and dry, with a touch of rye spice and of course plenty of hops. Hop profile is cool and lemony, with an array of other citrus following it up, along with a hint of tart apple. Honey malt center that's a little boozy, but I don't mind that. Not as big in flavor as say a Heady Topper, which is also 8% ABV, instead it's a little more restrained. I appreciate the honey at the center of this beer the more I come back to it and it may actually be the star of this beer, outshining the hops.

M - Nice cool, soft mouthfeel, with lasting hop bitterness.

Overall, this is a solid, cool, fresh DIPA, as opposed to some of the "danker" versions on the market. Highly enjoyable, but not mind-blowing.

3.37/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco. Amber-orange color. Hoppy aroma, bits of pine and citrus. Flavor was maltier than I would like, alcohol, bitter, hops, citrus. Overall I thought this was ok but would probably not revisit it, too many other great California IPA's.

4.49/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So apparently I like this waaay more than everyone else

A- Pours light honey hazy, two finger head with low retention. White clouds for the head.

S- I am getting a bouquet of citrus. Lemons, grapefruit, nice fluffy hop profile, my kind of malt (minimal)

T- This is a real nice IPA, light and fluffy (sorry). Citrus from above fruit.

M- Great M being creamy, perfect amount of carb.

O- I would gladly, gladly drink this again!!!!

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured 16 oz. can into Golden Road pint glass.

A: A brilliant golden orange, that's mostly opaque. There's nothing in terms of head at all.

S: In-your-face hop scents permeate from this one the second you pour and it just continues as you drink. Also possesses some great citrus-y notes -- pineapple, in particular.

T: Delivers on the aromas you get up front -- every sip is a burst of hops and citrus that make it incredibly refreshing.

M: Crisp and clean finish with a moderate amount of carbonation. Despite all the hops, it doesn't feel heavy at all.

O: Wolf Among Weeds has become one of my favorite DIPAs over time. When fresh, it's a relatively light, enjoyable drinking experience that has you craving more. In my opinion, it's the best Golden Road has to offer and a great starting point for those trying them out (or coming back into the fold).

3.42/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A canned offering from Cellarbrations Carlisle and pours a non see through very hazed apricot hue with a dense two finger creamy head that's hanging around and nice clingy lacing,soon as I put my nose to the glass it's strong pineapple,paw paw and mangoes with also barley sugar and pears,the mouthfeel is overcarbonated and medium bodied and the tastes are abit of a one sided hopfest with no malt backbone and overcarbonation which is dissapointing the tastes I do get are just a tropical fruit salad and there really is no levels or stages its just all one way which is really dissapointing and overall even though it's not offensive it's just not what I seek out in my AIPA's cheers.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Clear orange colored ale with a small white colored head. Distinctly IPA Orange.

Smells extremely hoppy with lots of citrus aromas. Strong grapefruit and orange with some strong tea aromas. Very much a hophead beer this beer is anything subtle. No subtle scent this is just balls to the wall hops.

Starts out mildly sweet with an Earthly flavor as a start, pretty must the taste of taste buds carpet bombed with hops. Bittersweet flavor with an earthy after taste, the hops level is at the ragged edge of too much.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall what you have here is an IPA made just about as strong as you can make it before becoming just too much. Really this is a brew adored by Hopheads and feared by those whole don't like hops.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a shallow yellow with a 2 finger head. Head lingers nicely.

S - Wow, this smells INCREDIBLE! The nose is amazing. Smells like fresh pineapple juice. Mildy hoppy, very aromatic with the citrus. I personally think the smell is better than Heady Topper. Wow. So good.

T - This is where this beer took a wrong turn for me. Very 1 dimensional in terms of the hop complexity. You will only get the bitter from this beer. There was no sweetness nothing other than the bitterness of the hops.

M - Very light body, not a lot of back-bone. Very light for a DIPA.

O - The Smell was incredible! However, that is the only thing memorable about this brew. The taste is nothing like how it smells. This beer is like that chick with a great body, but horrible face. If they brought out the complexity of the hops such as a sweetness, a dry finish, etc, this very easily beat Heady and Pliny, hands down. the smell is incredible.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Small to maybe medium sized slightly off white head settles to a quarter inch or less of froth covering a thick but not cloudy honey golden colored beer.

Light but very evident citrus style hops aroma.

Light citrus hops with maybe grapefruit coming through more so in the taste, also seems to be some light fresh grasses in the taste as well.

Dryish aftertaste with some of the citrusy lemon tastes hanging around with this lighter medium bodied IPA.

Decent tasting, nothing overwhelm but it has some definite west coast style hops tastes.

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

"Wolf Among Weeds" is a complex and refreshing IPA above "Point the Way IPA" that in my opinion Golden Road has established as a "go to" IPA. "Wolf" offers a silky after taste that allows a "tingle" pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth. Head disappears quickly, but effervescence continues gently during the evaluation of the brew in a full size glass. Very satisfying. Golden color. Personally, I need a citrus smell and a "weed" odor with my IPA. "Wolf" delivers and is most satisfying. I sincerely hope that finally there is an IPA that can deliver the most unique hops that won't be too seasonal or be too expensive for the average consumer.

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This CANtinues New CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0005?) as I have been ousted from any other endeavors on this day on this site. C'est la guerre!

From the CAN: " With so many outstanding hoppy beers out there, we want to thank you for choosing this tribute to the majestic Humulus Lupulus bine."

Oh man, I got The Doors blasting, the cops are banging on the door, the chicks are flushing the s**t down the toilet as fast as they CAN, pu**y is jumping from the back balcony onto the neighbor's roof and then taking off into the night and I am as cool as a cucumber. "Yes, officers, how may I help you?'

Y'see, when you are the founder and instigator of The CANQuest (TM), you CAN come to expect these kinds of things. It it just that I do not live in a big city and since I put myself on the radar with a write-in run for mayor, I am a fish in a bowl for the time being.

It all started when I heard a huge Crack! I quickly called my Crack ho's and told them that it was a party. My inverted Glug created a finger of dense, tawny foam that fell like a souffle, leaving brilliant lacing in its wake. Color was a hazy amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose smelled like death in the form of minty hops and caramel malts. I have smoked, snorted, spiked and drank this evening, but this may be it.

Hey, piggies, get offa me, man! I got s**t to say and do today. The wolf is howling and he ain't real patient. The first sip and I was gone, man. I was up in the hills of Woodland, baby. I'm talking Woodland Hills, 1995, and the chicks are running hot and cold, black and white and tan and all I have to do is reach out my hand and just grab some. Mad Dog knows how to throw a party! I am a "jaded" sailor and yet I have never experienced anything like this, to date. The wolf is howling outside the window, weed is being smoked (although I may not indulge) and Sindee (I swear that she copped to that as her name, officer) is atop me, swaying her pendulous breasts in my face and riding me like Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western.

Phew! The first hit caught me under the jaw like the jarhead in the P.I. during smokers in 1986. I was a buff, tough muff diver but he caught me in a weak moment and moved my jaw like a typewriter platen being reset and I fell to my knees, pulled off the gloves and walked away, never to box again.

This beer did the same thing. I rocked back, shook off the dust, used my bruised tongue to check what was left of my teeth, what with the enamel having been stripped off of many of them, and reset. "Keep yer mitts up!" MA1 Whitmore, my trainer, shouted in my ear. "You don't wanna lose to some pansy-ass Marine, do ya, ya sad sack o's**t?!?"

The hops were unrelenting, jackhammers upon my teeth, stripping the enamel away, then drilling the f**kers out by the roots, leaving my gums raw and bleeding while my tongue tried to maintain a beachhead against the onslaught. Je**s F**king G*d, who laid this om me? I may never be the same.

I was listening to The Doors on YouTube, which may have been a mistake, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

L. A. was slow to get its brewing together, but it if this is an indication of what they are capable, I may need to revisit. I was blown away by its intensity, yet mellow finish. I hear that they have a decent public trans system now.

Finish was stunning, semi-dry, but now I was finished. L. A has that effect on me.

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice crystal clear golden hue with a one finger foamy white head that fades to leave a thin quarter inch blanket that leaves some light sticky lacing.

S - Nose is very, very nice here. Great citrus and tropical notes here, oranges, mango, light pine and grapefruit. Not much malts or alcohol.

T - Taste is not quite as good as the nose, but still tasty. Light citrus notes, faint orange and grapefruit (which lends a solid bitter finish). Quite nice finish in fact. The flavour across the pallet though is slightly dulled down and muddled. Flashes of orange zest.

M - Mouthfeel is very nice, good bitter finish nice bright carbonation, no alcohol at all.

O - Overall this was a very tasty DIPA, wish the flavor was as good as the nose but its still very tasty beer. Solid.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tallboy 22oz can to an Imperial FW Nonic Glass – canned 05/22/13
Notes taken on 08/24/13

A: Pours a light golden blonde hue with some visible hop haze appearance. My pour produced a fluffy cloud two+ fingers high of bone white that floated for a few minutes and never fully residing. Impressive head is what she said. Swaths of lace paint the glass after each sip.

S: Smells forward with piney hops followed by some sticky green herbs and a touch of grassy florals. There is some underlying sweetness by way of the pale malts to an otherwise hoppy nose. Pretty nice for a 3 month old IPA.

T: Tastes very clean and crisp with a nice hop presence yet restrained bitterness. Pine mixes with tangerines, grass, cedar, and dank herbs. There is a slight bready cracker like maltiness coming through to balance. Overall bitterness is low and the beer is not very resinous with alcohol kept well in check. All in all a nice smooth and hoppy brew.

M: Moderate body leaning towards the lighter side given the smooth and creamy consistency. Carb is almost on the low side it seems. No sharp bitterness nor super dry but with a nice crisp finish and very clean ending.

D: This is a nice DIPA with some very smooth and balanced flavors. Good dank hoppy flavors with no harsh bitterness. Smooth and nice to have but probably does not live up to its own price tag.

3.67/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served chilled from a can into an AleSmith elongated tulip glass.

Golden yellow color with a respectable persistent head and minimal lacing; slightly fuzzy, medium transparency.

Smells of pine, delicate hops, woody, and moderate maltiness, and some musty aroma.

Tastes only slightly bitter, with hop flavor ranging from grapefruit to smoked wood. Medium body and carbonation.

Notes: This was my first LA beer, bought on the recommendation of a store clerk, so I didn't know what to expect (I didn't know they even made beer). This is also my first canned IPA. The $3 price tag seems reasonable for one pint of canned IIPA.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's ok. It's a bit hot and spicy - though not good "hot and spicy" like Raul's first date with his baby mama. Nah, it's more hot and spicy like your bathroom at 4 AM after a 12 pack of Keystone and a few too many Doritos Locos tacos.

Now, don't get Raul wrong. Like the main man said, it's ok. I'd recommend any playa to try it on their own to form they own opinion. But overall, like That 80's Show, this sucker ain't going into sindication.

Update (10-3-14)

This beer has been revamped and it has highly been improved like Ashlee Simpson post nose job. That jet fuel has been toned down to basic unleaded, while juice has been added making a more pleasant, smooth beer.

Not outstanding, but very good.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a pint glass at Toronado.

Smells like weed. Very fresh hops. Juicy and fruity and great. Clear golden. Light head. It tastes great. A lighter Hoptimum. Delicious DIPA. Light grain is lightly sweet. Hugely bitter, especially the aftertaste. Highly recommended.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Got in a trade with TopsecretWaffle. 16 ounce can into tulip glass, canned on 6/22/2013. Pours lightly hazy golden amber color with a 1 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big lemon zest, orange zest, orange rind, peach, pineapple, tangerine, floral, grass, light honey, and floral earthiness. Very nice aromas with good complexity of citrus/tropical hops with moderate malt; and good strength. Taste of lemon zest, orange zest, orange rind, tangerine, pineapple, floral, grass, light pine, light honey, bread, and floral earthiness. Fair amount of floral/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus zest, citrus rind, pineapple, floral, grass, light honey, and floral earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance and complexity of citrus/tropical hops; with a fair amount of malt balance and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a lightly creamy, smooth, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very nice IPA. Good all around balance and complexity of hop flavors with light-moderate malt; and very smooth to sip on. A very enjoyable offering.

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A: Hazy golden yellow with a white head. Retention is poor.

S: Mainly pineapple, some pine needles, mango, orange peels, peach, and a good helping of sweet malt.

T: Follows the nose very well. Pineapple, a touch of bitter grapefruit, slight pine, and peach. Pine and a slightly sweet peach in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with a light carbonation. Slightly wet, could use some more dryness and carbonation.

O: Lots of tropical fruits, clean bitterness, and a good amount of sweetness. Easy drinking IPA.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Cloudy golden and yellow with a thin, creamy white-head. Fairly sticky with nice retention. Pretty and appropriate.

Very expressive aroma; quite nice. Lots of citrus and mild pine combine nicely. Very aromatic, along with some mild malt sweetness and bread components as well.

Hugely bitter IPA, but it still remains drinkable. Some citrus and pine components mix with the bitterness, along with a little sweetness and bread, but the bitterness is this beer's main calling card. I don't mind the bitterness though, as the complementary flavors balance and linger nicely.

Medium bodied with moderate, creamy carbonation.

Great DIPA in a can. Would be happy to grab this if I was in a pinch and needed some canned hoppy goodness.

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Golden Road goes down the Double IPA road. One pint from the can should be adequate. On to the beer:

The color borders on light orange to a darker shade of yellow. With a change of lighting, the color could swing in either direction. The head on top is modest, retaining at a passible rate and leaving a little lace around the glass. That aroma is very delightful! I smell the milder yet succulent New Zealand hops calling out with ripe melon, juicy passionfruit, fresh grass, honeydew.

Tasty IPA with one major flaw. There's little argument of the quality of the flavor; I'm a sucker for these hops. Juicy, bursting passionfruit, honeydew, cantaloupe, a modest spicy bitterness towards the end. So, what's wrong? Despite its 8% alcohol, the effect feels more that you would expect of double digits. Lots of solvent alcohol cuts through the great flavor of the beer, and makes the drinking of the beer a little slower. It's a full bodied beer that doesn't back down, with gentle carbonation, and some of that alcohol disrupting the peace.

Good IPA as it stands with room to grow. I felt that the alcohol could have been hidden better for its size, and if it were, I imagine some of the score would rate higher.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

16 oz. tall boy can. Pours amber gold with a medium sized cap of white colored head. It's got good retention and some foamy stick on the glass.

Pine, herbal and tropical mangoes and passion fruit hops with strength descending in that order. Also a earthy mustiness that makes some of the herbal tones that bring out the pungent tropical fruit. Good malt backing, bready and mildly sweet and balanced but reserved enough to allow the hops to take center stage.

Malts provide just enough balance for the citrus and herbal pine hop flavor. Slightly bready caramel malts but transitions to being honey sweet before notes of stock IPA grapefruit, pine and a mild bitterness takes over. Alcohol is slightly evident.

Smooth mouthfeel with prickly carbonation. Offers a very drinkable body but doesn't dry very well. Some sticky residue, bitterness is average for a DIPA. Some alcohol rears it's head.

As the battle of west coast DIPAs continues to rage and get more out of hand, Golden Road delivers with a balanced brew that reminds us that keeping the craft in craft brewing is what makes these beers great. As balanced and drinkable as IPAs get, cut down the alcohol taste some and this one would get really stellar.

3.57/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy burnt orange color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops, a bit of pine. Taste is bitter, hoppy, pine, a bit of citrus, pretty good but not overwhelming. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast