Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by TMoney2591 on 10-15-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 73
3.57/5  rDev +34.2%

So while I was in Costco picking up some things. I grab a two bottles of Brother Thelonius, then look to my left. Who's sitting there?! "The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas. Behind him the good sized display of Big Hurt Beer. So I gave it a shot, good price, though I wasn't too enthused with the fact that it was in a can. The logo is crafty, but the can itself lacks a little pizzazz overall. After letting a few chill I poured the lager.
At first I was surprised at it's clarity and crisp smell. It has a nice head to it, nothing too overboard. The taste is mostly clean with bit of a back tongue grab. It's finish is clean and non lingering, and that's what I like in a lager. Overall it was somewhat better than what I was expecting.

3.18/5  rDev +19.5%

Served in a Stella glass (at in-laws).

A- Light golden/straw, 1 finger white head. Very little lacing.

S- Fairly sweet pilsner malts and slight aroma of lemon.

T- Sweet light malts, some sweetness. Again, some citrus, mainly lemon, flavors with a faint hop bite.

M- Light body and crisp.

O- Actually better than i was expecting. Would not buy it again, but would drink it over almost any macro.

3.13/5  rDev +17.7%

Can pour at the BevMo Holiday Beerfest held at Golden Road Brewing in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear light yellow with a foamy white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some fruity aromas. Taste is much the same with a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is fairly drinkable and not all that bad for the style.

3.1/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer was better than I expected. If this is a malt liquor then its the best malt liquor I've ever had...I I had plenty in college. The beer pours a clear yellow with thin white head that initially fizzes then dissapates. The scent is sweet with presence of saaz hops. The taste is sweet with effervesance of grain and alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium body with good carbonation. Overall its ok...if the abv was dialed back to 5-5.5% it would be better.

3.09/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured a 24 oz can into a masskrug. The white head stands about 1/2 inch pouring. Pale yellow body shows visible rising carbonation. Aroma is rather plain, light malt with a sweetness I can't exactly place, I want to say apple but that's not right. The taste comes in with a slight smoothness, I get some light sweetness as well as a odd funk like flavor. Mouthfeel is thicker than I expected, medium body with pretty good carbonation. Overall, not a beer I'd drink again, it's about what I expected from a malt liquor.

3.08/5  rDev +15.8%

I remember making Frank Thomas the first pick in my fantasy baseball draft in 1993.

A - Light, golden colored beer. Transparent. Head that didn't stick around for long. Looks about as expected.

S - Swell like sweet light malts, corn, a bit of fructose. Slight be of herbal hops.

T - Actually, all things considered, the taste is fine. Sweet adjuncts, a little butter. Some light hopping on the end, a decent touch. It's fine.

M - Smooth, carbonated, medium bodied.

O - This is highly drinkable, and doesn't taste bad. I'm not saying it's good, but I didn't mind it at all.

3.08/5  rDev +15.8%

Oh, Alex...you and your malt liquors.

A - Pours golden yellow, white head, thick ring, spotty lace.

S - Herbal, sugary sweetness, corn. Oh jeez.

T - Not as bad as the nose suggests. Corn, light sugar water, fake stuff, no real alcohol notes.

M - Light to medium body, good carbonation, easy to drink.

O - Well, not a bad malt liquor, but nothing something I'd continue to drink on any regularity. Leave it to Alex to hook me up with stuff I'd never normally try (sometimes good, sometimes bad).

Frank Thomas played baseball about eleventy-billon times beer then this beer tasted. He's a HOFer, but this beer, is not.

3.06/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

24oz can purchased at Binny's for $1.79. Served in a Glunz taster glass.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thick collar, and some wisps, as well as a bit of spotty lace. Transparent golden color.

S - Corn, yeasty bread, biscuits, and perhaps a vague hint of herbs and rotting garbage when it warms up. Still, much better than many adjunct lagers I've had in the past.

T - Taste is actually a bit better, as it's largely devoid of off-flavors. Generic adjunct character, with corn, buttery bread, sugar, ad honey. Manages to avoid being cloying, which is a pleasant surprise.

M - Smooth texture, medium-bodied, with pleasant, albeit gritty, carbonation. Surprisingly solid for a beer of this style. No obvious alcohol, although I didn't expect any at 7%.

D - One of the better tasting malt liquors I've had, although I suspect the lower ABV is a huge advantage. If this was 12% and tasted the same it'd be seriously impressive; as is, it's merely an above average higher-ABV adjunct lager. Would consider purchasing this at a ballgame over many of the other horrendous options (although US Cellular actually offers some good beers).

3.05/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Very clear, light gold. Large, light, sticky, foamy, white head. Disappears fast leaving a ring of lace. Typical malt liquor appearance.

S - Very light and not much on the nose. Some sweet maltiness with some corn aroma. Not offensive but not much going on here.

T - Much better than the nose and not bad for a malt liquor actually. Sweet maltiness is dominant with some honey. No vegetal taste and only a hint of corn. Some fruitiness with apple, of course, being strongest but some other orchard fruit. Fairly surprising.

M - Light body with lots of carbonation. Light and spritzy.

D - Alcohol is well hidden. Even though there is some of the apple flavor typical of the style, it isn't too strong nor does it have the ethel alcohol flavor. Not bad.

Notes: Surprisingly decent, especially for a cheap malt liquor. Not a good beer, but for what it is, it is good. No off-flavors or grape drank flavor for a malt liquor is nice. I can't really see getting this another time but I might if I want a malt liquor.

3.02/5  rDev +13.5%

My friend decided to be an ass and surprised me with this treat as my final taste of 2011. 24 oz. can poured on December 31st, 2011 into a pint glass.

Cheers to 2011!

A - Looks a bit like champagne, how fitting. Pale, clear yellow coloring with a finger's worth of white head. Lots of carbonation coming up the sides of the glass.

S - Surprisingly (shockingly even), there's a decent hop and light fruit aroma. Corn and light malts in addition. It's only moderately-bland and that's beyond what I expected.

T - Carbonation at the front, lemon zest in the middle, hop bitterness and slightly metallic at the back.

M - I was pretty out of it by the time I reached this section, so a light body with fair carbonation is about as much as my mind would allow me to write.

D - It's absolutely better than I hoped it would be, but that's not quite enough to say it was truly enjoyable.

2.99/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell has some sweetness, malts, a bit of plastics. Taste is malts, alcohol, a touch of sweetness, some green apples, not very good but certainly drinkable. Feels light in the mouth and overall is not a bad beer, about average for this style.

2.98/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Can (2012?)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, match1112!

Clear golden with a moderately sized white head that doesn't last long but does leave nice spiderwebs of lace down the glass. There's tons of visible carbonation bubbles rushing up from the bottom of the glass throughout the duration of my trip down Big Hurt Lane. For the style...this is actually pretty!

The aroma, on the other hand, is nothing to rave about...but I have smelled much, much worse! So there's that! A lot of corn and rubbing alcohol, but what would a proper malt liquor be without the dreadful aromas of stale, damp corn and booze.
Edit: As it warms, this smells more and more terrible.

The problem with this beer is that you have to smell it as you put it to your lips. The beer actually tastes much, much better than it smells...dare I say: better than average? Though, admittedly, I have very little experience with one of my least favorite styles: good ol' American malt liquor. Flavors of corn, grain, grass, and alcohol combine for something admittedly drinkable.

Medium bodied for the style with high carbonation.

Real talk...it's not that bad! It just smells foul.

And, this makes me feel like I'm back in college. So it has that going for it.

2.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Fairly soapy looking coming out the can. The only reason I'm rating this higher than a 2 or 2.5 is the fact that it seems to fit the ambience of a White Sox game, which is where I had it.

Smell: Sweet corn. Very cloying. Not the most refreshing smell, but it isn't bad.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet corn. As far as malt liquor goes, it's actually ok. That's basically it. It could be more refreshing and crisp, especially at a summer ballame.

Overall Drinkability: As a refreshing light beer, this doesn't work. As a malt liquor, this kicks ass.

2.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface and a thick collar that rose up around the edge of the glass, dissipating into lacing.
S: Light to moderate aromas of corn adjuncts are present in the nose along with notes of green grapes.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell and has flavors of corn and grapes along with hints of apples and a slight amount of sweetness.
M: It feels a bit shy of being medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: For an American Malt Liquor, this beer is pretty good. No alcohol flavors are present and the taste isn't really dominated by flavors of adjunct malts.

2.74/5  rDev +3%

A-Pours a very clear straw color with a sad one finger head that dissipates very quickly.

S-Reminds me of a Munich Helles with a light sweet malt note and a hint of herbal hops.

T-Metallic twang with a slightly tannic grain note and some herbal hops on the finish.

M-Very light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation, with a crisp, clean finish.

D-Not as terrible as I imagined, but nothing mind-blowing either. One plus is that the alcohol is not noticeable at all for 7%, which I thought would be very present in a beer this light bodied/colored/flavored.

2.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Light yellow, 1/8th in snow white head that stuck around for a bit. Smells like old rusty water, you know when you turn on the hose form sitting all winter? The taste reminds me of a quieter Steel Reserve, the sweetness to be exact. I like everything dry so that off the bat is not appealing. The alcohol is there and abundant, might have been smoother if it was on tap. I think I would have been better off slinging $1.69 for a 24oz of PBR instead of 2 buck for this.

2.69/5  rDev +1.1%

Bought this just because it's too funny to pass up and at $1.50 for 24 ounces I figured what the hell.

Pretty much like every other cheap malt liquor that I've had except this one has a funky corn and sweet band-aid flavor. I'm not going to say it's terrible because it's Frank Thomas but it's not very good, haha.

2.62/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Blind Beer #9 from TMoney2591; thanks Kyle. Going to end this night right….24 oz. can of what can only be an awesome beer into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a very transparent yellow color with two inches of white head and moderate to high carbonation evident. Looks like a straight up American Adjunct Lager, though it could be some sweet Malt Liquor.

s - Smells of corn, grains, bready malts, vegetables, and wheat. Not good, but not as skunky as some other AAL's/malt liquors I've had before. Sticking with that as the style.

t - Taste follows the nose, but sweet as well. Smells of corn, grains, bready malts, vegetables, wheat. Quite sweet, a definitely step down from the nose, though I'm sticking with one of those two styles.

m - Light to medium body and high carbonation. Very overcarbonated, and not great.

o - Overall it's not that great of a beer, but honestly, not the worst AAL or Malt Liquor I've had...not by a long shot. Nose isn't that bad actually, though the look, taste, and mouthfeel are subpar. I'm going with a Malt Liquor for the following reasons: Based on my extensive research of AAL's, I don't think this is a Miller product as it doesn not taste like they brewed it with cigarette butts, and it doesn not taste like a Coors product, as it is not terrible watered down. It's definitely not a Bud product as I could pick those beers out of any line up, and I think if you're going to go with a bottomfeeder, you go with the king, Malt Liquor. I don't think it is Colt 45, so thinking Mickey's of Steel Reserve...I'll go with Steel Reserve as I didn't mind it in my college days.

And the reveal is…Big Hurt Beer….awesome! When I was a kid I was a huge Frank Thomas fan, and when I read about this swore I'd get a can at some point, so killing 2 birds with one stone. It's actually not that bad (for Malt liquor), and better than most....I liked it better than the Super 15!

2.56/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1335th Review on BA
Can to 16oz Nonic
24oz

Purchased at Lee's Discount Liquors, Las Vegas
$1.50 for the can.

Im from Chicago. I have to tick this tallboy!

App- Well its a deep yellow with a huge amount of color. Big fast receding white head. Not much cling. A couple lines.

Smell- I made a Mr. Beer pale at 3.9%. Smelled like green apples, lemonade and wheat. This is that but thicker and more booze. Just eh. A little grassy.

Taste- Much like the nose. Its a ton of green apple with wheat and grass. Honestly its okay but just something. 7% makes up for it.

Mouth- A light medium body with a high carbonation. Green apple and wheat. Thin. Eh.

Drink- The big hurt put a big hurt on my feelings. Man great ball player. Shit beer. Oh well its a $1.50 what did I expect?

2.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a faint straw yellow hue with a fizzy snow white head that fades to a thin sticky film and is supported by a swirling micro carbonation.

S- The clean soft sweetness lingers with a popcorn finish and some buttery diacetyl grows as the beer opens.

T- The sweet dry corn flavor has a faint buttery diacety taste and a watery flavor to follow. The finish is a slightly pungent cream that grows with each sip.

M- The light mouthfeel has a soft scrubbing fizz with a soft alcohol burn in the back of the throat.

O- This beer is pretty clean but it has some odd flavors and to much alcohol to make it refreshing.

2.53/5  rDev -4.9%

I had to grab one of these for the sake of the tick...
Served in an imperial pint.

Very clear yellow with a foamy white head of about a finger. Surprisingly nice retention, legs, and lacing.

Smells of boiled corn, vegetal hops, and sugary sweetness.
Virtually no bitterness at all.

Medium oily body with good carbonation.

Overall-- yikes. I won't get this again... It isn't terrible, but I prefer a thousand other options... The other can I bought will be headed out in my box for the disc golf BIF, but that was my intention anyway!

2.48/5  rDev -6.8%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I'm a ChiSox fan and quite the ticker. This is not a necessarily good combination when random, new, Sox-themed beers come about. This one arrived in my area a couple days ago. $1.79 for a 24oz can. Based on experience, this is not a good start. It pours a clear pale-ish golden straw topped by a finger of white, craggy foam. The nose comprises corn, flour, corn syrup, light biscuit, semi-sweet flowers, and grass. It's not too bad, so far. The taste, though, finally brings the quasi-expected storm: notes of corn syrup, sweetgrass, flowers, rice cake, honey, hard water, and fresh-from-the-cob corn. Wow, this stuff is somehow both sickly sweet and mineral-laden-ly vegetative. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a somewhat syrupy feel. Just like the taste, the feel is kinda oxymoronic, feeling both smoothly flowing and thickly stiff. I'm definitely not smiling with this stuff on my tongue. Overall, Big Frank said he wouldn't put his name on a bad beer. Looks like he was right: This is a downright crappy beer. Of course, with that ABV and the other options around, I'd probably still drink this at The Cell if the Sox don't start improving soon: Something's gotta take my mind off of the sadness on the field. Definitely sadness here in this can...

2.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Frank Thomas was my idol growing up. So when I saw this monster 24oz. can at Binny's, I had to pick one up.

Clear pale sunshine color. Very quick head, no residual but nice bubbling.

Sweet, corny syrup aroma. Cant really pick up any hops in there. I'm sure some hops keep the aroma a little clean.

Sweet, corny, a little sugary lightly toasted malt. The finish has some adjunct and alcohlic sweet malt finish.

Sweet, syrupy, and boozy warmth on teh palate. Best if you drink this fast before it warms up too much.

2.32/5  rDev -12.8%

I wore the Frank Thomas signature cleats every year of baseball growing up. I played Big Hurt Baseball on Super Nintendo all the time - so I had to get this monster can. The dude was my hero in my youth.

Very clear and soda-like head. Very sweet with a sugary, syrup flavor. Could definitely taste the malt, but was surprisingly sweet.

Better than Colt 45, but that's about all I can give it.

2.21/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

So somebody contracts a shitty malt liquor and then decides step #2 is to start a brewpub?

"13 129" printed on the bottom, Julian date of April 2013, guessing a production date.

Pale anemic yellow, super rapid racing trails of carbonation, looks like corn soda. Thin layer of bone white foam, recedes to a thin skim that breaks after the first sip.

Smells like cheap wine, silage, and malaise.

Harsh astringency, numbing alcohol. Flaccid without any flavor. Grain husks and wet paper, cheap wine with club soda carbonation. People think this is actually decent? Lol...

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast