Big Hurt Beer | Big Hurt Brewing Company

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by TMoney2591 on 10-15-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.08/5  rDev -21.8%

You can't go to US Cellular and NOT try this, right? Knowing what I was getting myself into, I ended up biting on this opportunity. At 7% I'm winning on some level.

A: Straw yellow with a very thin white head.

S: Um, adjuncts, I guess.

T: Corn, some straw-like adjunct ingredients. Honestly, It's on the same level as a 40 of something, which isn't always a bad thing.

M: Light, powerfully carbonated. A Big Hurt.

Ehh, it is what it is. This is fine if your looking to get sauced before a game and looking for a high abv malt.

3.09/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured a 24 oz can into a masskrug. The white head stands about 1/2 inch pouring. Pale yellow body shows visible rising carbonation. Aroma is rather plain, light malt with a sweetness I can't exactly place, I want to say apple but that's not right. The taste comes in with a slight smoothness, I get some light sweetness as well as a odd funk like flavor. Mouthfeel is thicker than I expected, medium body with pretty good carbonation. Overall, not a beer I'd drink again, it's about what I expected from a malt liquor.

2.53/5  rDev -4.9%

I had to grab one of these for the sake of the tick...
Served in an imperial pint.

Very clear yellow with a foamy white head of about a finger. Surprisingly nice retention, legs, and lacing.

Smells of boiled corn, vegetal hops, and sugary sweetness.
Virtually no bitterness at all.

Medium oily body with good carbonation.

Overall-- yikes. I won't get this again... It isn't terrible, but I prefer a thousand other options... The other can I bought will be headed out in my box for the disc golf BIF, but that was my intention anyway!

2.32/5  rDev -12.8%

I wore the Frank Thomas signature cleats every year of baseball growing up. I played Big Hurt Baseball on Super Nintendo all the time - so I had to get this monster can. The dude was my hero in my youth.

Very clear and soda-like head. Very sweet with a sugary, syrup flavor. Could definitely taste the malt, but was surprisingly sweet.

Better than Colt 45, but that's about all I can give it.

2.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Frank Thomas was my idol growing up. So when I saw this monster 24oz. can at Binny's, I had to pick one up.

Clear pale sunshine color. Very quick head, no residual but nice bubbling.

Sweet, corny syrup aroma. Cant really pick up any hops in there. I'm sure some hops keep the aroma a little clean.

Sweet, corny, a little sugary lightly toasted malt. The finish has some adjunct and alcohlic sweet malt finish.

Sweet, syrupy, and boozy warmth on teh palate. Best if you drink this fast before it warms up too much.

2.69/5  rDev +1.1%

Bought this just because it's too funny to pass up and at $1.50 for 24 ounces I figured what the hell.

Pretty much like every other cheap malt liquor that I've had except this one has a funky corn and sweet band-aid flavor. I'm not going to say it's terrible because it's Frank Thomas but it's not very good, haha.

1.5/5  rDev -43.6%

2.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a faint straw yellow hue with a fizzy snow white head that fades to a thin sticky film and is supported by a swirling micro carbonation.

S- The clean soft sweetness lingers with a popcorn finish and some buttery diacetyl grows as the beer opens.

T- The sweet dry corn flavor has a faint buttery diacety taste and a watery flavor to follow. The finish is a slightly pungent cream that grows with each sip.

M- The light mouthfeel has a soft scrubbing fizz with a soft alcohol burn in the back of the throat.

O- This beer is pretty clean but it has some odd flavors and to much alcohol to make it refreshing.

2.62/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Blind Beer #9 from TMoney2591; thanks Kyle. Going to end this night right….24 oz. can of what can only be an awesome beer into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a very transparent yellow color with two inches of white head and moderate to high carbonation evident. Looks like a straight up American Adjunct Lager, though it could be some sweet Malt Liquor.

s - Smells of corn, grains, bready malts, vegetables, and wheat. Not good, but not as skunky as some other AAL's/malt liquors I've had before. Sticking with that as the style.

t - Taste follows the nose, but sweet as well. Smells of corn, grains, bready malts, vegetables, wheat. Quite sweet, a definitely step down from the nose, though I'm sticking with one of those two styles.

m - Light to medium body and high carbonation. Very overcarbonated, and not great.

o - Overall it's not that great of a beer, but honestly, not the worst AAL or Malt Liquor I've had...not by a long shot. Nose isn't that bad actually, though the look, taste, and mouthfeel are subpar. I'm going with a Malt Liquor for the following reasons: Based on my extensive research of AAL's, I don't think this is a Miller product as it doesn not taste like they brewed it with cigarette butts, and it doesn not taste like a Coors product, as it is not terrible watered down. It's definitely not a Bud product as I could pick those beers out of any line up, and I think if you're going to go with a bottomfeeder, you go with the king, Malt Liquor. I don't think it is Colt 45, so thinking Mickey's of Steel Reserve...I'll go with Steel Reserve as I didn't mind it in my college days.

And the reveal is…Big Hurt Beer….awesome! When I was a kid I was a huge Frank Thomas fan, and when I read about this swore I'd get a can at some point, so killing 2 birds with one stone. It's actually not that bad (for Malt liquor), and better than most....I liked it better than the Super 15!

3.02/5  rDev +13.5%

My friend decided to be an ass and surprised me with this treat as my final taste of 2011. 24 oz. can poured on December 31st, 2011 into a pint glass.

Cheers to 2011!

A - Looks a bit like champagne, how fitting. Pale, clear yellow coloring with a finger's worth of white head. Lots of carbonation coming up the sides of the glass.

S - Surprisingly (shockingly even), there's a decent hop and light fruit aroma. Corn and light malts in addition. It's only moderately-bland and that's beyond what I expected.

T - Carbonation at the front, lemon zest in the middle, hop bitterness and slightly metallic at the back.

M - I was pretty out of it by the time I reached this section, so a light body with fair carbonation is about as much as my mind would allow me to write.

D - It's absolutely better than I hoped it would be, but that's not quite enough to say it was truly enjoyable.

3.18/5  rDev +19.5%

Served in a Stella glass (at in-laws).

A- Light golden/straw, 1 finger white head. Very little lacing.

S- Fairly sweet pilsner malts and slight aroma of lemon.

T- Sweet light malts, some sweetness. Again, some citrus, mainly lemon, flavors with a faint hop bite.

M- Light body and crisp.

O- Actually better than i was expecting. Would not buy it again, but would drink it over almost any macro.

3.08/5  rDev +15.8%

Oh, Alex...you and your malt liquors.

A - Pours golden yellow, white head, thick ring, spotty lace.

S - Herbal, sugary sweetness, corn. Oh jeez.

T - Not as bad as the nose suggests. Corn, light sugar water, fake stuff, no real alcohol notes.

M - Light to medium body, good carbonation, easy to drink.

O - Well, not a bad malt liquor, but nothing something I'd continue to drink on any regularity. Leave it to Alex to hook me up with stuff I'd never normally try (sometimes good, sometimes bad).

Frank Thomas played baseball about eleventy-billon times beer then this beer tasted. He's a HOFer, but this beer, is not.

3.08/5  rDev +15.8%

I remember making Frank Thomas the first pick in my fantasy baseball draft in 1993.

A - Light, golden colored beer. Transparent. Head that didn't stick around for long. Looks about as expected.

S - Swell like sweet light malts, corn, a bit of fructose. Slight be of herbal hops.

T - Actually, all things considered, the taste is fine. Sweet adjuncts, a little butter. Some light hopping on the end, a decent touch. It's fine.

M - Smooth, carbonated, medium bodied.

O - This is highly drinkable, and doesn't taste bad. I'm not saying it's good, but I didn't mind it at all.

2.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Light yellow, 1/8th in snow white head that stuck around for a bit. Smells like old rusty water, you know when you turn on the hose form sitting all winter? The taste reminds me of a quieter Steel Reserve, the sweetness to be exact. I like everything dry so that off the bat is not appealing. The alcohol is there and abundant, might have been smoother if it was on tap. I think I would have been better off slinging $1.69 for a 24oz of PBR instead of 2 buck for this.

2.74/5  rDev +3%

A-Pours a very clear straw color with a sad one finger head that dissipates very quickly.

S-Reminds me of a Munich Helles with a light sweet malt note and a hint of herbal hops.

T-Metallic twang with a slightly tannic grain note and some herbal hops on the finish.

M-Very light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation, with a crisp, clean finish.

D-Not as terrible as I imagined, but nothing mind-blowing either. One plus is that the alcohol is not noticeable at all for 7%, which I thought would be very present in a beer this light bodied/colored/flavored.

3.06/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

24oz can purchased at Binny's for $1.79. Served in a Glunz taster glass.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thick collar, and some wisps, as well as a bit of spotty lace. Transparent golden color.

S - Corn, yeasty bread, biscuits, and perhaps a vague hint of herbs and rotting garbage when it warms up. Still, much better than many adjunct lagers I've had in the past.

T - Taste is actually a bit better, as it's largely devoid of off-flavors. Generic adjunct character, with corn, buttery bread, sugar, ad honey. Manages to avoid being cloying, which is a pleasant surprise.

M - Smooth texture, medium-bodied, with pleasant, albeit gritty, carbonation. Surprisingly solid for a beer of this style. No obvious alcohol, although I didn't expect any at 7%.

D - One of the better tasting malt liquors I've had, although I suspect the lower ABV is a huge advantage. If this was 12% and tasted the same it'd be seriously impressive; as is, it's merely an above average higher-ABV adjunct lager. Would consider purchasing this at a ballgame over many of the other horrendous options (although US Cellular actually offers some good beers).

2.48/5  rDev -6.8%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I'm a ChiSox fan and quite the ticker. This is not a necessarily good combination when random, new, Sox-themed beers come about. This one arrived in my area a couple days ago. $1.79 for a 24oz can. Based on experience, this is not a good start. It pours a clear pale-ish golden straw topped by a finger of white, craggy foam. The nose comprises corn, flour, corn syrup, light biscuit, semi-sweet flowers, and grass. It's not too bad, so far. The taste, though, finally brings the quasi-expected storm: notes of corn syrup, sweetgrass, flowers, rice cake, honey, hard water, and fresh-from-the-cob corn. Wow, this stuff is somehow both sickly sweet and mineral-laden-ly vegetative. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a somewhat syrupy feel. Just like the taste, the feel is kinda oxymoronic, feeling both smoothly flowing and thickly stiff. I'm definitely not smiling with this stuff on my tongue. Overall, Big Frank said he wouldn't put his name on a bad beer. Looks like he was right: This is a downright crappy beer. Of course, with that ABV and the other options around, I'd probably still drink this at The Cell if the Sox don't start improving soon: Something's gotta take my mind off of the sadness on the field. Definitely sadness here in this can...

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last