Schweet Ale | Liquid Hero Brewery

3.24/5
Alströms:
3.5

3.59/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.91/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.06/5  rDev -5.6%

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.5/5  rDev +8%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +8%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #86 (Mar 2014):

Strawberry, Bready

Fruit beers need to impress us. Liquid Hero goes right for the usual fruit-ladened wheat, and the star of the show is strawberry. The wheat base holds things together but does nothing else. For what this beer is, it ends up being pretty tasty. There is no razzmatazz or wow factor, but it works.

STYLE: Strawberry Wheat Ale | ABV: 5.2% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.53/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It is what it says but it's not my kind of brew but I'm giving it my unbiased rating...

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Liquid Hero Brewery "Schweet Ale"
12 oz. can, no apparent freshness dating

Appearance: Clear deep gold in color. Short head of bright white. Limited head retention and lacing.

Aroma: Strawberry, sweetish, slightly phenolic in a bad way.

Flavor: Off phenols remain (possibly high fermentation temperature?), but it's otherwise quite nice. Strawberry seems artificial ( is the phenol actually a chemical component?). Sweetish, but not quite cloying - a tad sticky in the lingering finish. Some leafy hops are present, mainly displaying themselves in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and nicely crisp.

Overall: Flawed. I hate to review beers like this because it could simply be a one time issue and now I'll have to try to find another sample (of a beer which might still be flawed). Had it been clean I'd have been quite pleased. It seems to have given me a headache and a flushed face, which I only get when higher alcohols are present, but in this case it could be from something in strawberry extract. Not pleasant.

3.19/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.71/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

I have been slacking where The CANQuest ™ is CANcerned, reducing and eradicating my interminable bottle backlog, but I am now rededicated to the real mission, which is to review EVERY CANned beer in existence. I love the guys at Liquid Hero and have even been over to visit their digs in York, PA. When they began CANning, they knew of my affinity for beer in metal cylinders and began bringing me some at various events. Things bogged down while awaiting picture approval, but now, all is in readiness.

From the CAN: “This beer does not require one to like fruit beers. This unique strawberry wheat ale has enough strawberry flavor to satisfy, but not too much to turn you off. Good on flavor, not on fruitiness. It’s schweet and it’s in a [CAN]! Cheers! [undersigned] Matt [,] Josh & Christian”.

Schweet?!? Neat! Sweet! Petite! I shall suck on its teat with my teeth!

I heard the Crack! and looked in at the brimful CAN. My elation was such that an inverted Glug was in order and this produced two-plus fingers of rocky, fizzy, eggshell-white head with very limited retention. Color was a hazy/slightly cloudy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose had a light strawberry fruitiness, but restrained by the tartness of the wheat, which could also be discerned on the nose. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery. I loved the taste! It was strawberry, at first, then a tart bite from the wheat to keep the sweetness in check and from being cloying. Not to be sexist, but I had a LOT of female colleagues as a teacher who would tell me that they disliked the taste of beer. I would be willing to bet that they would like this one, if they tried it. At 5.2% ABV, it is just over the threshold for being Sessionable, but this would be easy to drink on a hot, humid Summer’s day. Finish left me with a lingering taste of strawberries. Yum yum.

Schweet Ale from Liquid Hero Brewery