H3 Trippel Belgian Style Ale | Port Jeff Brewing Company

portjeffbrewing.com

Style: Tripel

Added by merc7186 on 07-10-2012

3.18/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic Belgian. Beautiful color, great smell, rich and complex flavors. Despite being strong at 10% abv, it's not too alcohol-y.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

3.42/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As a retired U.S. Navy sailor, I truly miss getting underway. I mentioned this to a buddy on Veterans Day & he suggested riding ferries as a way to get water under my feet again! What a great idea! I took Amtrak to Penn Station (NYP), transferred to the LIRR, rode out to Port Jefferson, NY and took the ferry across Long Island Sound to Bridgeport, CT to watch back-to-back nights of AHL hockey before coming home. I also scored some CANs of beer for The CANQuest (tm) while I was at it.

From the CAN: "1. Long Day 2. New Job 3. Train Ride 4. Pre-Game 5. Yard Work 6. Game's On 7. Won Bet 8. Lost Bet 9. Didn't Bet 10. Nerves 11. New Kid 12. Not My Kid 13. Bamping 14. Last Call 15. Got Fired 16. Holidays The Original Dropper"; "Small Batch - Big Taste".

A 16-fl. oz. tallboy CAN sits before me like a challenge, as though The CANQuest (tm) has not tackled its ilk in the past. I Crack!ed it open with little resistance, but given that it is a "Belgian Style Ale", the likelihood of lees was high. Having readied my Belgian glass, I CANmenced a VERY gentle Glug, but the rising head caused me to back off of even that. It resulted in a finger of dense, firm, French Vanilla-colored head with such wonderful retention that I thought back to the making of meringue. In high school, I discovered the magic of HomeEc & was even CANtemplating becoming a pastry chef until I joined the U.S. Navy. One of my highest hurdles was meringue, but once I perfected it, I was putting meringue on everything! Even after all of that typing, the head has not moved! Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was at once spicy & musty, like old newspapers from the attic liberally sprinkled with black pepper. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was full & creamy & I closed my eyes & envisioned an N2 dispenser inside of the CAN. The taste was an interesting amalgam of black pepper, banana, clove, old newspaper and a slight tartness. It was an iron fist wrapped in velvet, entering like a Trojan Horse, quietly, calmly & then letting loose like a runaway freight train! Suddenly, I could no longer focus my eyes. It was like liquid self-trephination! Gabba gabba hey! I'm a middle-aged lobotomy! Finish was so gaspingly dry that I could not help but take another sip, but with each one, I was rendered into more and more of a pinhead. The papery pepperiness was utterly breathtaking! Did I just sniff some glue? More, please!

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Great trippel

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

Underrated porter by my standards

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A-somewhat hazy light amber color with two fingers worth of white head

S-bready malt, fruity sweetness, light spices and yeast

T-pretty sweet with some peppery spice and yeast

M-medium body, moderate carbonation

Overall a bit on the sweet side and carbonation seems a little low for the style, but I always like the try Tripels made by US breweries

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very good. Just had fresh in cans.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%