Hop, Drop 'n Roll | NoDa Brewing Company

NoDa Brewing Company
North Carolina, United States
nodabrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Our West Coast IPA hits you with a ton of juicy hop flavor that shines out from a substantial and complex malt backbone. We use Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Warrior, and Chinook in 10 separate additions to provide the intense hop blast found within this can!

Added by syrupjoe on 12-02-2011

Ratings: 1,935 |  Reviews: 237

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Obtained in trade from BA Mike from Colorado. Can dated 9/9/14 poured into a Harpoon snifter.

A: Cloudy, medium carbonation, pretty lacing as it moves down the glass. Copper color. The cloudiness brings score down for me.
A: Tropical fruit, dank, juicy.
T: Malty up front with that fruit juiciness that finishes with bitter grapefruit pith. Aggressively bitter cold but mellows a tad as it warms.
F: Super dry, almost moisture sucking. Sticks to the tongue. I like dry beers but this one might be a little too dry for the style.
O: Enjoyable but I wouldn't rate it as high as others have. The aroma and flavor are very good but the look and finish bring it down a notch for me.

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Okay, I stirred up a mess in the message boards. I drank one batch too cold. I purchased another batch drank it warmer. That is what needs to be done for me anyway. This IS a good beer but I still don't think its the best beer I have ever had. I love the fact its from NC and its readily available now anyway. I still maintain that the first batch I tried was a bit off. The newer batch dated from October is a lot better.

Color: Darker than most IPA's that I have had. Its a very pretty amber color.

Smell: Hops, but you know, I can definitely see where people get the description as "buttery". It has a very strong buttery popcorn aroma to me.

Taste: Drink this at about 60 degrees, if you drink it straight out of the fridge or really fresh its a beer that will wreck your palate. Bitterness dominates, but as it warms you get the malty smoothness comes on. It has a really strong hops character but I will still maintain that this beer does not balance as well as others, but maybe that is why its a gold metal winner, it definitely stands out in the crowd, but I am not certain that is always a good thing. Its a solid beer but not as good others to me. I guess I am a pedestrian when it comes to drinking outside the norm IPA's.

Overall: I love that my state has got some of the much needed hype in regard to beers, we are as good as California, Colorado or Vermont! This to me just isn't as good as other beers made in my state. Its good, but not as good, to me as others think it is. Final verdict.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Bright and citrusy hops up front with a big malt backbone

very nice