Pihtla Õlu | Taako Pihtla Õlu

Added by kojevergas on 05-19-2017

Reviews by kojevergas:
2.47/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Reviewed from notes taken Summer 2014 at a bar in Tallinn.

Pihtla Õlu. Koduõlu. Brewed on an Estonian island called Saaremaa. Farm ale. 7.60% ABV (a characteristic that differentiates it from this brewery's other similarly named beers).

.5L ran me 3 euros on draught. Served into a nonic.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Half a finger in width and white in colour. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes (which takes less than a minute).

BODY: Nontransparent hazy orange-copper colour of average vibrance. No yeast/lees are visible within.

A generally appealing appearance.

AROMA: Wheat, banana, herbs, tea-like aromatics, some bitterness, heavy juniper berries (redolent of gin more than sahti), a faint hint of farmhouse funkiness, and wood. An inoffensive aroma of mild intensity.

TASTE: Juniper berries/twigs dominate, lending it that gin-like kiss of bitterness mixed with slightly sour tartness that I personally despise (it should be noted that I loathe gin). Banana. Esters. A kiss of farmhouse funkiness. Wheat. Vague herbs.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

It's balanced and cohesive. I can't criticize its true-to-style build; it's focused and well put together, with plenty of nuance. Juniper berry and gin lovers will enjoy this, but I just can't personally stand it given my aversion thereto (though it should be noted that I do enjoy a good sahti, so go figure).

TEXTURE: Not as dry as gin. Smooth, wet, unrefreshing, slightly juicy, medium-bodied, somewhat thick.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, harsh, or scratchy.

This texture suits the taste decently but fails to elevate the beer as a whole or to accentuate specific flavours.

OVERALL: I'll struggle to finish the whole .5L pour, but with effort it'll be manageable. I wish it weren't so juniper-heavy. I've had worse, and it does hide its ABV quite well. Worth trying once. Chalk it up to my personal aversion to juniper, but this is tough stuff to enjoy.

High D+ (2.47) / NOT RECOMMENDED