Slumbrew Happy Sol | Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)

good
Slumbrew Happy SolSlumbrew Happy Sol

Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)
Massachusetts, United States
slumbrew.com

Style: Hefeweizen

A refreshingly tart and crisp hefeweizen brewed with local MA wildflower honey, orange peel and coriander, and fermented with the juice from over 1,000 blood oranges. It’s a cloudy, yet effervescent beer, with lingering banana and citrus notes balanced against a healthy wheat backbone and hoppy finish from Mt. Hood and Crystal hops.

Added by mduncan on 11-01-2011

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.72/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - on tap at James Gate in Jamaica Plain. The beer arrived as an immensely cloudy golden orange, so much so that I almost expected to have to chew through it. There was little to no head and little to no lacing. I loved the color and cloudiness though.

S - A little light, but I mostly smelled the yeast. Some mild fruitiness. I've since read the description of what I should be smelling and tasting and didn't arrive at any of those flavors on my own.

T - I'm not really sure what is going on with the taste. It's nice, but I can't really pick out a distinctive flavor.

M - Nice, rich medium body. Pleasant and better than most, but nothing memorable.

O - I think this beer could stand a few more revisions, but is clearly on the right path. The individual flavors could pop a little more. In this case they sortof stew together and make it difficult to pick out something specific to note.

2.31/5  rDev -37.9%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA.

Appearance: Cloudy golden orange, what is to be expected from a hefeweizen. Almost no head, and what little head there was, instantly disappeared.

Smell: Yeasty and tart smelling. This beer is heavy on the phenols produced by the yeast used. After my nose got past the yeast, sweet orange and citrus lingers.

Taste: I didn't get as much orange as others here have noted. It very much tasted like a watered-down hefeweizen that was a little too heavy on the orange. The bottle states honey and blood orange, however I tasted none of that. I expected a complex flavor profile, but got a more crisp, lighter on the wheat Blue Moon. Severely disappointed.

Mouthfeel: I love wheat beers, but for a hefeweizen, this was too thin and light. Even with the disappointing flavor, had it been a little more accomodating in the mouthfeel, I might have enjoyed it more.

Overall: I would not recommend this, unless I was trying to lure a Blue Moon fan into the craft beer market. I felt like this beer should have had a sticker on it that said "for fans of Blue Moon," because it was about as disappointing as a BMC product.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%

I enjoyed a pint of this from a freshly tapped keg at Howling Wolf Taqueria in Salem, MA.

A: A surprisingly bright orange-red glow lights up the traditional hefeweizen cloudiness.

S: The scent of orange zest/orange rind dominates. It could pass for an orange Kool-aid or VitaminWater in a blind test.

T: Almost as advertised. The blood-orange is rich and strong, imagine a traditional hefe cut half and half with smooth, pulpless orange juice (Sunny D perhaps?). This is still clearly beer though, sunnily wheaty beer with banana/clove notes readily present.

M: Smooth, a little on the thin side of medium. The alcohol is muted - would be easy to drink several of these over a long brunch or at a ball game.

O: This was an excellent surprise as I'm not often a huge fan of hefeweizens. The coloring makes it a very attractive conversation piece and the flavor is intensely positive. Pay attention to your pairings though. My only note of caution is to avoid consuming Happy Sol with any sweets, as the contrast will bring out some overwhelming sour notes that aren't present otherwise.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy, delicious looking orange with a quarter inch head. As you make progress, there is almost no lacing to speak of.

S: The smell is a nice, refreshing blend of citrus fruits, real heavy on the oranges, with some sweet notes mixed in.

T: The taste is akin to the smell: very heavy on the blood oranges. There are also some hints of grapefruit, lemon peel, and honey.

M: This is where the rating goes down for me. I am well aware that this is not the type of beer to have a profoundly full body, but I was expecting more from the way it looks in the glass. Every sip I took I could not help thinking that this beer was missing something. The mouthfeel seems to be where it falls short.

O: Overall, not bad because the flavor is definitely there. As much as I had trouble enjoying it though, I would say it's worth trying.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Slumbrew Happy Sol from Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)