Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Slumbrew Rising Sun Ale | Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)

Slumbrew Rising Sun AleSlumbrew Rising Sun Ale
3.65/5
Good
Slumbrew Rising Sun AleSlumbrew Rising Sun Ale

Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)
Massachusetts, United States
slumbrew.com

Style: Altbier

Added by smcolw on 06-10-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

I like altbiers, and this one was excellent. In a pint glass the beer was a red amber color, a little hazy. There was a small tan head.

Malt, fruit, and spice in the aroma. A little muted.

Ah, but the taste more than made up for the aroma, and really amplified it. A lot of malt in the taste. Some sweet fruit. Late cinnamon taste that really lingered.

This was a wonderfully smooth beer, very drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a dark reddish-brown with a one-finger head into my glass. Colors are where they should be.

Barley mixes with clove and banana aromas to highlight the unorthodox approach of this ale.

Think of this is as the anti-pale wheat. It has that old-school alt character, which lends itself to easy drinking escapades. For me, I think something that is much more flavorful than Long Trail.

Lingering barley and clove flavors. Again, very flavorful. Chewy. Molasses? I think so.

I like this. It's unorthodox. It's a style that I've never heard of (dampfbier). Do check it out!

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Picked a 22 oz. bottle of Slumbrew's latest offering, Rising Sun, at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont on June 2, 2012. I enjoyed this beer in my Dogfish Head signature snifter. This is the first proper bottle of Slumbrew I've had–always interested to taste what the local breweries are brewing, so definitely excited for this. Doubly interested, since this is, as it turns out, a German Dampfbier-style ale, a style that is fairly obscure and that I have yet to sample. It features an all-malted barley malt bill...hmmm...interesting.

Appearance (4/5): The beer pours a 1.5 finger tope-colored head of foam that sits atop a dark chocolate body of beer. The beer is pretty dark, though semi-transparent, and holding it up to the light reveals auburn highlights. Looks pretty good.

Smell (4/5): The nose on this dark ale is very bready, grainy, and rich. I pick up notes of dark bread–maybe pumpernickel?–hay, bran cereal, and a hint of cinnamon-like subdued sweetness. Pretty bold odors–and I like that. I can't say I've smelled a beer that has a similar aroma to this. Very unique if not wonderful smells, so bonus points to Slumbrew.

Taste (4/5): The beer's taste picks up where the smell left off. You can definitely taste the rich malted barley–it really dominates the taste and gives this beer a definite bread-like character. It isn't very sweet, despite being described as a "malt bomb". One of the neat things about this beer is the spicy note from the hops that emerges in the finish, working its way out of the shadows of the bran cereal and pumpernickel-like flavors. Overall, a very rich-tasting beer and really packs tons of flavor into a beer of ONLY 5.70% ABV. Kind of a meal-in-a-glass. I can't say I love the flavor–it's very good, not great–but it really doesn't taste like anything I've had before and is definitely interesting, so, for that it scores a 4. This is definitely a good, hearty ale

Mouthfeel (4/5): Mouthfeel on Rising Sun is pretty good. Good medium carbonation and the beer is nice and smooth, a little creamy on first sip, and goes down easy. Nothing really impressive to remark upon in this category; the mouthfeel pulls its weight and doesn't represent a drag on this brew's quality.

Overall (4/5): This is very solid beer from Slumbrew. Lots of good rich, malty flavor can be found in Rising Sun. This beer seems to me best suited for the cooler months with its deep and earthy flavors and would pair very well with a big Thanksgiving meal. I really enjoy this beer's uniqueness and it's bold flavors, and I think there are plenty of craft beer drinkers out there who will, too. Check it out.

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle's label:
Inspired by a less known German brewing style called dampfbier--an all barley malt bill fermented with wheat beer yeast--we found a delicious new expression for our Happy Sol yeast. This beer pours a deep red color with unique malty flavors from roasted barley, Munich, pilsen and caramel malts. A subtle hop spice is derived from German Perle and Hallertauer hops.

Pours with a decent head that leaves some chunky lace. Dark brown color where light shines through well.

Relatively light aroma of darker, toasty malts.

Thin bodied with a high level of carbonation. The brew comes across as a wheat beer with a mild degree of sourness. I don't detect the hops.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Slumbrew Rising Sun Ale from Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)