Camo | North Loop Brew Co

northloopbrew.co

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by tempest on 12-27-2011

4.73/5  rDev +45.1%

This is currently the only Double IPA brewed year-round in the Twin Cities. I feel fortunate to have a year-round craft in St. Paul.

I heard Lucid was going to be doing a sampling earlier this evening and I said, "what the heck, I will go over and give it a try." I am so glad I did because this Camo really has me feeling good.

Appearance - Much like any other Imperial IPA (a little lacing on the glass and a little head). Great golden color.

Smell - Decent...because they don't hop this much at the end it has much less aroma than your typical Imperial IPA

Taste - Fantastic! Really smooth - I want to drink another pint right now but it I did I would be drunk as a skunk. Muted citrus and hops taste with some malt taste. This is really a tasty beer.

Mouthfeel - So savory. Easy to swallow. I was always looking forward to the next sip.

Overall - Can't wait to find some 22s at the local Liquor store in April, probably Surdyks or Cellars Roseville for me. This beer was the smoothest American Double IPA I have ever had. I have some Hopslam in my kitchen right now - this is as tasty but does not have the bite of Hopslam.

4.5/5  rDev +38%

4.5/5  rDev +38%

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness Chalice.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Solid three fingers of white head with decent retention. Lots of lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: A hop forward aroma with big hints of floral and grassy hops. Not as much citrus aroma as you would expect from a double IPA but there is some nice orange aroma in the background. A good amount of caramel malts and biscuit. Also some pine resin.

Taste: A pretty balanced taste. herbal, grassy hops and pine resin give a nice bitterness and some spice. Solid presence of bready caramel malts and biscuit. Light hints of citrus esters with some orange and mango. This is far from a typical grapefruit bomb that lots of double IPA's are. It's a smooth balance of bitter and spicy hops and bready malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Chewy, creamy, and very smooth. Alcohol is hidden pretty well.

Overall: An interesting and tasty take on a Double IPA. A very balanced and smooth mix of hops and malts.

3.95/5  rDev +21.2%

Lucid Camo. Imperial, or, Double Pale Ale, or India Pale Ale. Lucid Brewing, Minnetonka, MN.

Clear and coppery/amber colored, nice head of white, lace-leaving froth. Looks nice.

Aroma: Ah! Soft, floral, hoppy, fruity, citric…just right. Lovely, lovely stuff. Very, very nice. I could just keep drinking this in through the nose.

But enough drinking through the nose, let's try the mouth.
Mmmm meets yum. Tasty, tasty stuff. Tropical fruit, citrus, some pine, but mostly mango and guava. Pineapple, and apricot. Tasty. Mmmm. I mean it, mmm.
Great mix of hop and malt. Some caramel, some fruit in the malt body, with a bright, beautiful, fierce, and bitter hop profile. This is easily consumed, although t. he alcohol is not that terribly hidden, no, it is there, it is around, and it will not be silenced.

Yum. I'll say it again. This is very nice. And it took me long enough. My first taste was undecided. My second, I was further on the fence, and felt perhaps that it was not as good as I'd liked. That was from a sample bottle. But I took a chance, put it on tap, and now I'm really digging this, and I feel that I will dig it again.

3.91/5  rDev +19.9%

pint on tap @ the golden nugget. review from notes.

pours clear amber/gold, decent lacing, small head. aroma is subdued hops. not strong smelling at all. taste is very earthy hops, with floral overtones. sweet malts are present and there is a slight metallic aftertaste. a little on the boozy side, and maybe a tad under carbonated. overall, a pretty delicious DIPA. liked it enough to seek out some bottles.

3.88/5  rDev +19%

No Freshness Dating

A= Pours a translucent orange color almost a light amber with a nice big thick two fingers of head that holds great retention and excellent lacing.

S= The smell is a strange mix of different components. It has a solid hop aroma but there is a solid alcohol heat aroma to it too. There seems to be an estery aroma to it as well that I would find typical in a Belgian IPA or an American IPA that was fermented too hot.

T= The flavor is thankfully different than the aroma but it is still a bit different. A strong malt character to it. There seems to be a really clean sweetness to it that for some reason reminds me of sugar water. The hop flavor is solid. Nice bitterness with a lingering flavor to it. Sort of reminds me of DFH 90 min IPA only the malt flavor is a bit cleaner. I would say that it is correct to describe this as a double pale ale as the bottle does and not a double IPA. For a double pale I actually like it quite a bit. For a double IPA it seems to be lacking some umph.

M= Right on for the style with no strange lingering flavors.

O= An interesting brew to say the least. A nice mix of malt and hops. A double IPA it is not a double pale it is. Go into this with the expectation of a double pale ale and you won't be as suprised as I was. The malt character is a bit weird in now cleanly sweet it is without much of a grainy malty character and more of a straight sugary sweetness. The hop profile is promising and the balance is wonderful. It could literally fit the mood for me if I was craving either side of the spectrum. A solid brew for sure but nothing to blow your mind on.

3.79/5  rDev +16.3%

Bomber poured into a 15 oz. pilsner.

Nice clear golden amber pour with a thick white head that sticks around and laces beautifully throughout the experience.

Aroma is a little lacking in hops for a Double Pale Ale, but they are there mostly floral with a decent hint of citrus. Malty aromas touch on carmel malt and maybe even a touch of biscuit.

Taste is nice and bitter up front with a good malt backbone. Very slight bitter alcohol is present. Hops again touch mostly on bitterness and the flavor comes through better than the aroma. Again mostly floral, but the citrus is left behind a bit after the aroma.

Mouthfeel is very nice and dry for a DIPA, obviously at 9% this thing has a nice smooth mouthfeel...but this seems almost spot on for my taste in the style.

Overall, nice Imperial Pale Ale. Not sure if it would go into the top 10, which makes it hard for me at $7.50/22 oz.

Camo from North Loop Brew Co