Camo | North Loop Brew Co

3.44/5
Alströms:

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

3.08/5  rDev -10.5%

The pour is nearly copper in color with a white head. Rather sweet on the nose with lots of caramel and toffee. Very little hop character, maybe just a bit of an herbal note. The flavor is similarly poor. Bread, caramel, and toffee are the primary flavors with minimal hop influence.

3.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Lucid Camo. Imperial, or, Double Pale Ale, or India Pale Ale. Lucid Brewing, Minnetonka, MN.

Clear and coppery/amber colored, nice head of white, lace-leaving froth. Looks nice.

Aroma: Ah! Soft, floral, hoppy, fruity, citric…just right. Lovely, lovely stuff. Very, very nice. I could just keep drinking this in through the nose.

But enough drinking through the nose, let's try the mouth.
Mmmm meets yum. Tasty, tasty stuff. Tropical fruit, citrus, some pine, but mostly mango and guava. Pineapple, and apricot. Tasty. Mmmm. I mean it, mmm.
Great mix of hop and malt. Some caramel, some fruit in the malt body, with a bright, beautiful, fierce, and bitter hop profile. This is easily consumed, although t. he alcohol is not that terribly hidden, no, it is there, it is around, and it will not be silenced.

Yum. I'll say it again. This is very nice. And it took me long enough. My first taste was undecided. My second, I was further on the fence, and felt perhaps that it was not as good as I'd liked. That was from a sample bottle. But I took a chance, put it on tap, and now I'm really digging this, and I feel that I will dig it again.

3.46/5  rDev +0.6%

Had a pint at Stub & Herbs after a round of Air. Appeared a clear amber with a short white head. Funny, the hop character and malts immediately remind me of Summit's Extra Pale Ale, must be the biting citrus Cascade character I recognize. I like the malty toffee notes, and think the body has a proper weight, but the hops just aren't big enough. With more tweaking I can see this becoming a relatively unique DIPA (I'm not often reminded of EPA, a beer I do enjoy). Worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

2.08/5  rDev -39.5%

Another local brewery finds its way into bottles. Haven't quite caught this one on tap yet, so, well, $7 for a bomber? OK. I'll bite. A little steep for an upstart brewery. Make some 12 oz. bottles, will you?

Pour is clear sunshine, like you used to draw on the upper corner of a clean sheet of paper when you were seven, with carbonation that eases quickly & little in the way of bubbles. Nose is dominated by pale malts, slight sweetness, notable absence of malts. Mmmmm?

Camo is going to blend into the shelves well & isn't going to be easy for me to spot again. More malt than I like, there's big Halloween sweetness up front, shouting & waving to divert attention from the mild hops. Hops? I suppose there are some in the timid grapefruit & melon rind, & a middling, flabby bitterness. There's an unpleasant metallic twang on the finish that really sticks to the mouth cells. It grows stronger as the beer warms. Too flat. Sticky, but not in a good way, it's more sticky sweet.

Eh. This isn't very good. A big pale like this needs hops, encompassed in either bitterness or flavor, & this brew is embarassingly weak on both. Toss in too much malt, an unpleasant aftertaste, & this one's a failure. Based on this sample, I won't try anything from Lucid again anytime soon.

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness Chalice.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Solid three fingers of white head with decent retention. Lots of lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: A hop forward aroma with big hints of floral and grassy hops. Not as much citrus aroma as you would expect from a double IPA but there is some nice orange aroma in the background. A good amount of caramel malts and biscuit. Also some pine resin.

Taste: A pretty balanced taste. herbal, grassy hops and pine resin give a nice bitterness and some spice. Solid presence of bready caramel malts and biscuit. Light hints of citrus esters with some orange and mango. This is far from a typical grapefruit bomb that lots of double IPA's are. It's a smooth balance of bitter and spicy hops and bready malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Chewy, creamy, and very smooth. Alcohol is hidden pretty well.

Overall: An interesting and tasty take on a Double IPA. A very balanced and smooth mix of hops and malts.

3.16/5  rDev -8.1%

Clear amber color with just over one finger of head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Just some light spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Not a very aromatic beer, especially for a DIPA. More malt aroma than hops. Bready malt with some citrus hops.

The flavor picks up a little. Dry malt lays the background for the hops to be featured. But unfortanetly, the hops put out a poor performance. Just some citrus and herbal notes. It is bitter however, too bad the flavor does not follow up. A little warmth in the finish from the alcohol.

Solid body and nicely carbonated. Good texture for a bitter/hoppy beer.

Not a bad beer, but when the shelves are crowded with DIPAs, this beer will have a hard time competing.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

from fresh just delivered 22oz bomber

A- pours a mostly clear amber,golden color with a 1 finger off white head that dissipates to a fresh ring, some nice lacing on the side

S- was pine and citrus hops and sweet malt , nothing great

T- was sweet first with bitter pine and floral hops a touch of tropical hops but were all too light thru-out for a 2IPA, loads of sweet malts mask the 9% ABV, but for a 2ipa the hops were just lacking

M- medium carbonation with a smooth taste it did have an over sweet amount of malts with hops just a bitter reminder on the palate

O- its an allright 2ipa but its lacking in hops and was much to sweet, also @ $6.99 a bomber to pricey i wont be buying this again way to high a price , i will however try this on tap and i recommend trying this, just not one of my favorites in 2ipa's

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Clear honey gold with a bubbly off white head. Decent lacing.

S: Citrus, orange peel and a bit of pineapple. Some biscuit-carmely malt in the background. Alcohol is present too. As it warms up a bit, the alcohol comes out even more in the nose and takes over everything else... yikes.

T: Hmmm... an imperial pale ale... I can see why they would call it this, I guess, since it's not that hoppy and the malt is way more prevalent than it should be. Lots of candy like sweetness with a big bready/carmel malt backbone and then some mild to medium pine and citrus hops. It does finish a bit dry, but not much aftertaste at all.

M: Medium to lighter body, but it does feel a bit thin. Average carbonation that is a bit prickly.

O: I've had this on tap a few times and I remember liking it more then. This is the first and probably the only bottle I will buy which is a bummer since they are local to where I pretty much grew up. Drinkability is okay, does drink lower than 9% (not nearly in the nose though). Honestly, it doesn't seem that well crafted overall... again a shame, but its the truth in my opinion.

2.27/5  rDev -34%

Just hit in bottles, so it's gotta be fresh. My first beer from this new Twin Cities brewery. Tasted 20 April 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a very bright orange color, with two fingers of fluffy off-white head. As clear as water, so clear I can read the label on the other side of the class, and see the bubbles slowly making their way up to the surface. Serious gobs of sticky lacing.

I smell nothing, despite burying my nose in my tulip glass. If I really dig, I get a bit of earthy hops, but that's all. Doesn't actually smell bad, but there's nothing good about it. As it warmed up, it didn't get any hoppier, but some pulpy orange came out.

Taste has some issues. Starts out bland, then shifts to a pungent rounded melony flavor. This slightly off flavor then gives way to a sharp bitterness (combination of alcohol and hop acids). I get very little malt flavor, and very little hops other than that punch of sharp bitterness late. This beer is not doing it for me. Tastes like bitter water with some other weird stuff going on.

Mouthfeel is fine. On the heavy side.

I do not like this beer. It's one part bland, and one part bad. No balance - water and bitter blast. Every time I drink it, I gag a little from the blast of alcohol combined with lack of flavor. I couldn't even come close to finishing a bomber of it.

1.87/5  rDev -45.6%

On tap at Pizza Luce Hopkins.
I am always excited to try new beers, especially ones from new local brewers, and even more so when they are one of my favorite styles, the double IPA.

That being said, this beer came off as ambitious effort to break onto the burgeoning craft beer scene, which falls short of the ultimate goal of making a well rounded beer.

Pours and looks nice. The trouble starts in the smell, and continues through the taste. Alcohol, raw alcohol - like what you would smell in malt liquor - dominates most of the experience of this beer. How did the hops taste? What direction did they take the malt? These and other questions are never answered because of the overpowering and distracting alcohol flavor.

I tried this beer a second time, several weeks after the first, and I came away with exactly the same conclusion. I hate to admit it, but this beer is hard to drink, and seems unfinished.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

3.75/5  rDev +9%

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

No Freshness Dating

A= Pours a translucent orange color almost a light amber with a nice big thick two fingers of head that holds great retention and excellent lacing.

S= The smell is a strange mix of different components. It has a solid hop aroma but there is a solid alcohol heat aroma to it too. There seems to be an estery aroma to it as well that I would find typical in a Belgian IPA or an American IPA that was fermented too hot.

T= The flavor is thankfully different than the aroma but it is still a bit different. A strong malt character to it. There seems to be a really clean sweetness to it that for some reason reminds me of sugar water. The hop flavor is solid. Nice bitterness with a lingering flavor to it. Sort of reminds me of DFH 90 min IPA only the malt flavor is a bit cleaner. I would say that it is correct to describe this as a double pale ale as the bottle does and not a double IPA. For a double pale I actually like it quite a bit. For a double IPA it seems to be lacking some umph.

M= Right on for the style with no strange lingering flavors.

O= An interesting brew to say the least. A nice mix of malt and hops. A double IPA it is not a double pale it is. Go into this with the expectation of a double pale ale and you won't be as suprised as I was. The malt character is a bit weird in now cleanly sweet it is without much of a grainy malty character and more of a straight sugary sweetness. The hop profile is promising and the balance is wonderful. It could literally fit the mood for me if I was craving either side of the spectrum. A solid brew for sure but nothing to blow your mind on.

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%

Awesome bomber sent from laymansbeerfan. No bottling or freshness date visible, served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A: Brilliant clear honey gold with hints of straw, small white head leaves some decent lace.

S: Faint lemon & piney hops, fainter juicy citrus, malt, hints of toasted grain, biscuit...

T: Piney, grassy, earthy...biscuit malt, moderate bitterness, dry finish, with a hint of sweet alcohol.

MF: Light to medium mouth, lighter carbonation, bitter and dry.

O: Seemed more like an APA to me, except for the abv being so high. Not impressive in the hoppy beer category, but a beer I'm glad to have tried.

Camo from North Loop Brew Co