Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Camo | North Loop Brew Co

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by tempest on 12-27-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.16/5  rDev -8.1%

Clear amber color with just over one finger of head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Just some light spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Not a very aromatic beer, especially for a DIPA. More malt aroma than hops. Bready malt with some citrus hops.

The flavor picks up a little. Dry malt lays the background for the hops to be featured. But unfortanetly, the hops put out a poor performance. Just some citrus and herbal notes. It is bitter however, too bad the flavor does not follow up. A little warmth in the finish from the alcohol.

Solid body and nicely carbonated. Good texture for a bitter/hoppy beer.

Not a bad beer, but when the shelves are crowded with DIPAs, this beer will have a hard time competing.

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

2.88/5  rDev -16.3%

Double Pale Ale from my hometown. I love that we get to score on appearance. What exactly am I scoring? It looks like beer...okay, I give it a five. Aroma is well, lacking. For a beer that touts five hop editions and sure seems like it trying to be a double ipa, it's really disappointing. Sure, it's got some hop aroma, smells a lot like that pale ale from Chico California, but with way more malt in the nose. Shit, it doesn't smell bad, not at all. It's just that I expect huge hop aroma from an IPA. Speaking of which, this is a double version of...presumably an IPA, so it fails miserably in that regard. Tastes pretty malty as well. Again I feel the need to compare it to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's got the same hop character, but the malt is dialed way up, like to eleven. Not bad, just not what I want in a, okay I'm just going to say it, a DIPA. It's like fresh bread, and a bit of toffee washed down with a swig of grapefruit juice, a small swig. As it warms it takes on a distinct toffee flavour. For a beer that is a double version of a generally hop foward beer, it slams you in the bitterness department. A grand bitter finish on this one, unfortunately, I find said bitterness a tad off putting, a bit aspirin like. It's something I experience from time to time in mine own homemade libations. Not enough to sink the ship, but not ideal. I really don't dislike this beer, I don't think it's bad, even of it may seem like I do. This is probably the tenth time I've had it and I'm sure I'll have many more times. I just feel like it really misses the mark. That being said, it won't take a heck of a lot of tweaking to make it a solid DIPA.
P.S. I really like Lucids other beer, Air. I think it's a kick ass, interesting take on the blonde ale style and a beer I have been and will continue to enjoy greatly.

3.2/5  rDev -7%

I'm following up a Surly Furious with this one, so my results may be a tad skewed. It's like watching The Stones open up for some debut performance of a young indie band. Anyways...

Pours a nice clear burnt pear/gold, some pinkish hues. Thick white cap and good lacing, zero beading. Earthy hops on the nose, herbal bits. Sweet/tart, no discernible booze. The taste is not what I was anticipating - there's a standard hop canvas that is disturbed by some onion/garlic/spinach quality. Not as in, like a filtration issue, it's something else. Can't quite put my finger on it. Plenty of potential here, but the taste shows that something maybe has gone a-rye.

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness Chalice.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Solid three fingers of white head with decent retention. Lots of lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: A hop forward aroma with big hints of floral and grassy hops. Not as much citrus aroma as you would expect from a double IPA but there is some nice orange aroma in the background. A good amount of caramel malts and biscuit. Also some pine resin.

Taste: A pretty balanced taste. herbal, grassy hops and pine resin give a nice bitterness and some spice. Solid presence of bready caramel malts and biscuit. Light hints of citrus esters with some orange and mango. This is far from a typical grapefruit bomb that lots of double IPA's are. It's a smooth balance of bitter and spicy hops and bready malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Chewy, creamy, and very smooth. Alcohol is hidden pretty well.

Overall: An interesting and tasty take on a Double IPA. A very balanced and smooth mix of hops and malts.

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

No Freshness Dating

A= Pours a translucent orange color almost a light amber with a nice big thick two fingers of head that holds great retention and excellent lacing.

S= The smell is a strange mix of different components. It has a solid hop aroma but there is a solid alcohol heat aroma to it too. There seems to be an estery aroma to it as well that I would find typical in a Belgian IPA or an American IPA that was fermented too hot.

T= The flavor is thankfully different than the aroma but it is still a bit different. A strong malt character to it. There seems to be a really clean sweetness to it that for some reason reminds me of sugar water. The hop flavor is solid. Nice bitterness with a lingering flavor to it. Sort of reminds me of DFH 90 min IPA only the malt flavor is a bit cleaner. I would say that it is correct to describe this as a double pale ale as the bottle does and not a double IPA. For a double pale I actually like it quite a bit. For a double IPA it seems to be lacking some umph.

M= Right on for the style with no strange lingering flavors.

O= An interesting brew to say the least. A nice mix of malt and hops. A double IPA it is not a double pale it is. Go into this with the expectation of a double pale ale and you won't be as suprised as I was. The malt character is a bit weird in now cleanly sweet it is without much of a grainy malty character and more of a straight sugary sweetness. The hop profile is promising and the balance is wonderful. It could literally fit the mood for me if I was craving either side of the spectrum. A solid brew for sure but nothing to blow your mind on.

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

from fresh just delivered 22oz bomber

A- pours a mostly clear amber,golden color with a 1 finger off white head that dissipates to a fresh ring, some nice lacing on the side

S- was pine and citrus hops and sweet malt , nothing great

T- was sweet first with bitter pine and floral hops a touch of tropical hops but were all too light thru-out for a 2IPA, loads of sweet malts mask the 9% ABV, but for a 2ipa the hops were just lacking

M- medium carbonation with a smooth taste it did have an over sweet amount of malts with hops just a bitter reminder on the palate

O- its an allright 2ipa but its lacking in hops and was much to sweet, also @ $6.99 a bomber to pricey i wont be buying this again way to high a price , i will however try this on tap and i recommend trying this, just not one of my favorites in 2ipa's

3.01/5  rDev -12.5%

appearance - amber color. Sticky lacing with a head that dissapates.

smell slight citrus and a bit floral...very underwhelmed

taste - strong malt sweetness at the begining of the sip, toffee, biscuits, finish's with sweetness and a strong pine bitterness which remind me of centennial hops.

mouthfeel - Low carbonation, mouthfeel seems smoother then expected.

overall - I like my DIPA's to be less malty and toffee flavored and more hops and yeast driven. This tastes like a british style beer to me (Summit EPA on crack). More like a Barley Wine. The hops flavor is much stronger then the hop aroma and I'm missing that aroma.

IT's good, and well executed if it turned out as intended, but, probably just not my thing. You may love it...give it a try as it's extremely fresh!

3.79/5  rDev +10.2%

Bomber poured into a 15 oz. pilsner.

Nice clear golden amber pour with a thick white head that sticks around and laces beautifully throughout the experience.

Aroma is a little lacking in hops for a Double Pale Ale, but they are there mostly floral with a decent hint of citrus. Malty aromas touch on carmel malt and maybe even a touch of biscuit.

Taste is nice and bitter up front with a good malt backbone. Very slight bitter alcohol is present. Hops again touch mostly on bitterness and the flavor comes through better than the aroma. Again mostly floral, but the citrus is left behind a bit after the aroma.

Mouthfeel is very nice and dry for a DIPA, obviously at 9% this thing has a nice smooth mouthfeel...but this seems almost spot on for my taste in the style.

Overall, nice Imperial Pale Ale. Not sure if it would go into the top 10, which makes it hard for me at $7.50/22 oz.

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.91/5  rDev +13.7%

pint on tap @ the golden nugget. review from notes.

pours clear amber/gold, decent lacing, small head. aroma is subdued hops. not strong smelling at all. taste is very earthy hops, with floral overtones. sweet malts are present and there is a slight metallic aftertaste. a little on the boozy side, and maybe a tad under carbonated. overall, a pretty delicious DIPA. liked it enough to seek out some bottles.

4.73/5  rDev +37.5%

This is currently the only Double IPA brewed year-round in the Twin Cities. I feel fortunate to have a year-round craft in St. Paul.

I heard Lucid was going to be doing a sampling earlier this evening and I said, "what the heck, I will go over and give it a try." I am so glad I did because this Camo really has me feeling good.

Appearance - Much like any other Imperial IPA (a little lacing on the glass and a little head). Great golden color.

Smell - Decent...because they don't hop this much at the end it has much less aroma than your typical Imperial IPA

Taste - Fantastic! Really smooth - I want to drink another pint right now but it I did I would be drunk as a skunk. Muted citrus and hops taste with some malt taste. This is really a tasty beer.

Mouthfeel - So savory. Easy to swallow. I was always looking forward to the next sip.

Overall - Can't wait to find some 22s at the local Liquor store in April, probably Surdyks or Cellars Roseville for me. This beer was the smoothest American Double IPA I have ever had. I have some Hopslam in my kitchen right now - this is as tasty but does not have the bite of Hopslam.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A. Pours a golden blonde color, 2mm head with some light bulbes, fades quickly

S. Smells of strong citrus, fragrent hops and some orange.

T. Tastes of tart grapefruit, sweet hops, and bitter ornage peel.

M. Medium body, thick and chewy feeling, high carbonation

O. A pretty good beer. Well flavored, that seems like it would die quickly with age.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

3.46/5  rDev +0.6%

Had a pint at Stub & Herbs after a round of Air. Appeared a clear amber with a short white head. Funny, the hop character and malts immediately remind me of Summit's Extra Pale Ale, must be the biting citrus Cascade character I recognize. I like the malty toffee notes, and think the body has a proper weight, but the hops just aren't big enough. With more tweaking I can see this becoming a relatively unique DIPA (I'm not often reminded of EPA, a beer I do enjoy). Worth a try.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last