Lighthouse Amber | Cheboygan Brewing Company

Lighthouse AmberLighthouse Amber

Cheboygan Brewing Company
cheboyganbrewing.com

Style: Altbier

Our German style Alt has a brilliant amber hue, and silky smooth medium body. Its light tan head is thick, retaining, and laces the glass all the way down. A Noble hop aroma up front finishes with a caramel malt nose. Our old world brewing method brings out a light toasted-bread flavor you’ll want to savor again and again. It’s a mouthwatering, thirst quenching delight.

Added by jmich24 on 11-27-2011

Amazing Beer. Great color and smell.

4.94/5  rDev +34.2%

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

I picked up a bottle of Cheboygan Brewing Company's Lighthouse Amber yesterday for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I have never heard of this brewery before, but I am always down to try a new Michigan brewerys, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it has a nice looking picture of a lighthouse on it. It poured a nice muddy amber color that took on a nice bright ruby amber color when held to the light. It had three and a half fingers worth of fluffy light tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice lacing. This is a great looking beer, no complaints here.

S- The aroma of this beer seems to be dominated by caramel malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart a very big toasted bread aroma along with some light grains and biscuity aromas. At the end I got a nice dose of caramel that added some good complexity and I didn't pick up any hops in the aroma. This is a nice smelling beer the toasted bread and caramel aromas go very well together.

T- The taste mirrors the aroma nicely, they are pretty much the same. It starts off with loads of caramel malts that have just the right amount of medium sweetness and impart a big toasted bread flavor that is followed by an equally nice caramel flavor. Towards the end I get some light earthy hops flavors followed by a light amount of bitterness and a slightly sweet toasted bread aftertaste that stayed for a while. This is one tasty beer, the malt profile is pretty much perfect, I really like it and the quality of the ingredients really comes through in the taste.

M- Very smooth, surprisingly creamy, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked very well with this beer, there is nothing I would change.

Overall I was really impressed with this beer and I thought it was a great Altbier. This beer was all about the malts and they were very well put together and that made for one tasty brew that I really enjoyed drinking. This beer has great drinkability, it's real smooth, not filling, and the taste really grabs my attention, I could drink this all night and perfectly satisfied. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much everything, but I think the flavors were my favorite aspect, I really liked the combination of toasted bread and caramel. What I liked least about this beer was the absence of hops, a little more hop flavor might make this the best Altbier ever, I also didn't like the fact that it had not bottling date, all new brewerys should date their bottles, it just makes sense. I will for sure be buying more of this beer, it's too good not to and I highly recommend it to anyone, it's that good. I was really impressed with this beer and brewery, they sure made a very good first impression on me, for a beer and brewery that I have heard nothing about this was a great surprise and I am glad I took a chance on this brew. This has to be the best Altbier I have ever had, I don't think they get much better then this. Awesome job on this beer guys, rest I assured I will be more then willing to check out more of your brews, this is quite the sleeper beer, people need to know how awesome this beer is, you can bet I will spreading the word.

4.48/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On a golf trip to northern michigan wanted to try a local craft. Pleasantly surprised! Great smell, look and flavor.

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very nice ruby red with a small off-white head.

Smells of roasted malt and molasses

Nice creamy mouth feel

Tastes is sweet and nutty with very smooth finish.

This is an an excellent brew overall with a wonderfully complex flavor and a very smooth finish.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Undated 16 oz can at 54 degrees into shaker
$ 2.09/can at the Lager Mill
Aroma slight, malt
Head large (five cm, aggressive pour), light brown, creamy, slowly diminishing to
Lacing poor – rare tentacle left behind by receding head
Body amber/brown, clear
Flavor a little fruity with malt coming through; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, somewhat creamy, soft carbonation

Overall, a pleasant easy drinking brew that won’t challenge your tolerance for extreme flavors.
Appearance 4, Aroma 4, Flavor 4.25, Palate 4.25, Overall 4.25

4.13/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

Easy drinker. Had some caramel and malty flavor, too. Creamy mouth feel. All in all a decent find. Would drink it again.

4.01/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this one a couple times in northern Michigan bouncing around on vacation. Pretty popular as a tap option at a lot of bars, even if it's the only non-BMC option. I can see why. For sake of review, this one was had on tap at the Keyhole in Mackinaw City. Pour was beautiful garnet. Aroma was subtle, sweet and malty. Taste was malt, dark bread, some small fruit notes. Creamy mouthfeel. Would have again.

Appearance: amber with a dark tint and a tan, fluffy head Smell: Has bread and sweet malt aromas Taste: A little heavy German dark bread tart at the start, dark kettle sugars, rich malt, and dark bread crust flavors finishing with a light tartness and faint dark fruit. Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium body to medium full, medium light carbonation

A: One finger fluffy off white head. Deep amber color. Nice lacing.
S: Big carmel malts!
T: Sweetness of the huge carmel maltiness is balanced with a light earthy bitterness on the finish.
M: Medium mouthfeel, easy drinking and smooth. Light bitterness is just enought to balance it out.
O: This was a very solid offering up at the Millersburg Bar in the NE Michigan. I walked in expecting to order PBR and ended up drinking three of these. Very well done!

Lighthouse Amber from Cheboygan Brewing Company