Railsplitter IPA | Triton Brewing Company

1.44/5  rDev -61%

1.75/5  rDev -52.6%

2.08/5  rDev -43.6%

2.32/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Just in at my local beer and wine shop what's up a caramel ruby hue with off white head leaves fine speckled lacing. Aroma has pine and citrus with caramel malt base riding along the way with the hops, flavor is where this beer goes wrong. Straight bitter hop pellets with a sour strange experience I can't get down with, seek better beer and go home. Raw horrible bitterness throughout the finish, I'm dreaming of good beer and this is getting dumped sorry guys I'm not the type of guy who likes a drain pour but this beer is exactly that.

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Taste grew on me slightly as I went but otherwise it's the textbook dark colored malt IPA.

2.99/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

L: The beer appears very good. A nice foamy head that turns into a good lace after a vigorous pour and a rich orange in color.

S: The aroma is very weak for an IPA. I got some citrus notes when I first poured, but now I don't smell much of anything. Not very appealing for an IPA.

T: I get some floral notes when it hits my tongue, some light citrus notes as it sits there, but mostly I taste the very strong floral and resiny finish. This is an IPA that lingers on your palate. Nothing outstanding for an IPA in my opinion and with a harsh enough aftertaste that I wouldn't recommend it to someone who didn't really like hops.

F: The mouthfeel is actually where I think this beer is best. There is a rich malt backbone to balance out the hops and it leaves the beer feeling rich and full on the tongue. There is also some light carbonation. Very pleasant.

O: Overall I feel like this is a pretty average IPA. It's biggest offense to me is the lack of an enticing hop aroma and anything special in the taste department. It tastes pretty mellow until the finish and then it is perhaps too strong. But it looks proper and the mouthfeel is very well balanced. I can't say that I recommend it, but you could do far worse if you are in Indiana looking for something local to drink.

This beer was poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug at apx. 50F.

Railsplitter IPA from Triton Brewing Company