Railsplitter IPA | Triton Brewing Company

Added by SmartyPints on 12-13-2011

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Taste grew on me slightly as I went but otherwise it's the textbook dark colored malt IPA.

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

If you like you IPA with a lot of hop, probably not for you. I don't, so I liked it very much. Little citrus and caramel. Good finish. Does not stay on breath all night! lol

3.56/5  rDev -3.5%

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

3.12/5  rDev -15.4%

2.99/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

L: The beer appears very good. A nice foamy head that turns into a good lace after a vigorous pour and a rich orange in color.

S: The aroma is very weak for an IPA. I got some citrus notes when I first poured, but now I don't smell much of anything. Not very appealing for an IPA.

T: I get some floral notes when it hits my tongue, some light citrus notes as it sits there, but mostly I taste the very strong floral and resiny finish. This is an IPA that lingers on your palate. Nothing outstanding for an IPA in my opinion and with a harsh enough aftertaste that I wouldn't recommend it to someone who didn't really like hops.

F: The mouthfeel is actually where I think this beer is best. There is a rich malt backbone to balance out the hops and it leaves the beer feeling rich and full on the tongue. There is also some light carbonation. Very pleasant.

O: Overall I feel like this is a pretty average IPA. It's biggest offense to me is the lack of an enticing hop aroma and anything special in the taste department. It tastes pretty mellow until the finish and then it is perhaps too strong. But it looks proper and the mouthfeel is very well balanced. I can't say that I recommend it, but you could do far worse if you are in Indiana looking for something local to drink.

This beer was poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug at apx. 50F.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

A: A medium clear brown, with about a finger of brown head and decent retention. Good, but nothing unusual.

S: Toasted malts, honey, and a sugary sweetness. Not much hops. Is this an IPA?

T: The malts predominate the taste, with an astringency on the back. This isn't like any IPA I've had, more like a brown.

M: Fresh and well-balanced. Good mouthfeel.

Not an IPA, but it's a decent beer.

Railsplitter IPA from Triton Brewing Company