BJ's Tatonka Stout | BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse

Added by kylehay2004 on 11-22-2011

3.54/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hey, this isn't so bad. Poured quite dark with a half-inch head in a pint glass. (They poured it from tap, no telling how aggressive it was or wasn't). Chocolate aroma is quite strong and satisfactory.

However, the taste is thinner than the aroma may suggest. There's some char and some malt but it's pretty creamy from what I'm guessing is the nitro treatment. The flavor is really not there much, and therefore feels watery. Nitro is creaming this up, and there's no dark fruit, no caramel or toffee unless I look for it. Seems to be similar to an oatmeal stout, a pretty regular American (not a Russian, which this is listed as on some locations). It does have 8.5% so there's that.

I generally like all the BJ beers. Their array of choices, besides being the cheapest beers on the menu, really served me as a gateway to trying other styles and feeling comfortable without getting burned. Nothing there is offensive, and I know more now to realize their wide selection are at least solid attempts. You want a Stout--we got a Stout. If your eyes were closed, this might not even come across as a stout as much as a porter; too much bread, lager, and hardly any charred malt character.

But -- better than the other guys down the block who only have Coors and Stella.

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

3.28/5  rDev +0.9%

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Love this stout smooth little dry Moorish

4.52/5  rDev +39.1%

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

4.75/5  rDev +46.2%

4.75/5  rDev +46.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My best would always be a 4.75 until I've tried all beers of 1 certain type. When that day comes , a 5 will be given.

In regards to Tatonka. I would have to say it has sparked my interest in Stouts once again. I use to drink Guiness in High School because I would not have to worry about my keystone/bud light drinking buddies stealing my beer. plus I really did enjoy the taste.

Tatonka has a bit more creamy texture which I cannot get enough of and a lovely coffee/ chocolate aroma thats one of a kind. May I also add its higher in alcohol than Guiness. Out of all the stouts I've tasted this is fighting st. Arnolds Pumpkinator for the #1 spot.

BJ's Tatonka Stout from BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse