Heady Topper | The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,350 | Ratings: 13,243

Awesome, awesome beer from a great brewer. Everything from Alchemist is terrific, but this one is special. Drink it right from the can, like the can suggests, and you won't be disappointed.

Simply one of the best! My number one of any style beer. Not even going to try and describe it you just have to try it! Just drink it fresh it does loose a little something over time. Best right off the truck or go to the brewery

After a great family day, of finally skiing with my southern born family, due to military life. I asked for a plain beer...then a great buddy said I had to try this one. I declined, stating I just need any beer. He refused, presenting me the Heady Topper. I was blown away. Taste, Smell, Sight,...Best Ever. Been around the world, drank lots of famous beers. Amazed at the taste of Heady Topper. Only problem, I am not the only one who agrees and it's very hard to get. Impossible down south.

Clearly, the best beer ever brewed. Love it! First tried it in the Burlington Airport. Friends talked me into trying it. I thought, well, it is another beer. News flash: It is not any other beer, but the best beer. The hops seem to wrap around your brain and you float away to another world.

Do believe the hype, but the difficulty of getting ahold of some (having to stake out stores or plan your day around procuring a 4-pack) gets frustrating.

I just tasted Heady Topper from the can as instructed. Hop aroma of citrus, piney and some dank. Tastes explodes with carbonation bitterness. This dies down and the hop flavors explode, peach, mango and grapefruit. WOW ! ! ! What just happened ? Another taste and WOW ! ! ! ! !

Second Heady, I poured a little in a glass. Cloudy as expected as is unfiltered and fermented with Conan yeast. But still WOW ! !

This is the best craft beer I have ever tasted.

This is the beer that i base other other beers upon. I may be a touch bias, i live 3 hours from Burlington and can get this beer semi regularly if needed. but, for the money this thing is the benchmark of everything else and until something else hits my lips this is my unicorn.

This is by far the best of the best. I've been looking for a beer to top this, but have yet to find it. I beleive all the hype, and know that this is worth making the trip. The BROS' review is an understatement, you must try this beer.

The beer that changed beer drinking for me. This is by far my favorite beer. Complex hop flavors that hit you over and over! I can't get enough of it! Every time I crack one open its like the gates of Heaven are opening for me, while simultaneously my scalp is exploding off the top of my head. Delicious!! Quite difficult to come by, luckily my Grandma lives in Vermont and is able to get a "somewhat" steady supply to me. Salud!!

yum...what a fantastic beer that totally lives up to the hype! The first time I had it in the can at a bar and found the whole experience rather odd. I finally picked up a few more cans at a random line trade and had a chance to sit down and really enjoy what I consider to be one of the best beers in the world.
This beer looks amazing in a glass so for everyone drinking it out of the can...you are missing out!
The smell is an explosion of grapefruit and tropical fruits combined with just the right amount of dank pine...this beer smells ridiculous. The taste/mouthfeel is as explosive as it gets leaving me wanting more and more...out of control good! There is a reason this beer gets so hyped...because it's f**king amazing!

L: hazy, straw
S: big sweetness, fruity
T: follows smell with risen staying around afterwards.
F: sticky, full. Medium carb.
O: What to add? I believe the hype.

I never liked IPA's until I had a Heady. Now, I'll never go back to flat tasteless beers. This beer is just bursting with fresh hoppy goodness, there is nothing like it.

This is the sweetest nectar to touch my lips with the exception of my beautiful wifes love juice. I have 6 more of the nectar of the gods that I will enjoy only on the most special occasions.

Drove to the new Alchemist and purchased the max of each beer. I've had Heady-Topper before, and was very excited to taste the joys of my 12 hour round trip drive.

L: World class
S: Hops
T: I think this is where I truly tip my hat. There is nothing like this beer. It has set the standard and leads the way in a reproducable master craft beer
F: Amazing how so much flavor can come from such an easy mouthfeel
O: I love some great efforts from many great breweries, but this is on a pedestal

A must have beer experience.

From the can. Wonderful complexity in the taste profile - so much citrus flavor and aroma (especially grapefruit) in the beginning, then the sweet/bitter hoppy taste as the sip goes down. When fresh, this, in my opinion, is the epitome of Double IPA VT. beers.

Just barely beats out the Elder Pliny for both aroma/bouquet and overall taste... I loved both but head2head, I would choose the Heady over the Pliny. They were so close (different tastes and complexities of pretty equal yum) that in my uneducated mind all I could think was that the water used by Heady made the difference in the end... might be wrong but seemed logical at the time.

Bought two cases up in Burlington, Vermont. The best IPA I've ever had. I prefer the taste of IPAs because of their huge flavor and hoppiness. One thing I'll tell you, you don't get the after taste of typical IPAs. You can drink this 8.0 ABV as a session beer.... You'll be passed out of you drink t as a session beer though. The unpasteurized canning feels like it's more potent than typical IPAs. I love it. Don't miss this one. Take the trip to Vermont.

It is great to have kids who live in Burlington VT, and take care of their Dads. I can never decide if I like this or SOS better. What a great beer!

Loved everything about this beauty besides the fact that it is not readily available in south Florida, or at least the last time I checked. I knew there was something exceptional about this slice of heaven because I basically asked for it in code and it was retrieved from the back as if we were back in the 20's in an undisclosed speakeasy. Maybe the rarity of this beer in south Florida warrants this hush hush conduct. Drank straight from the can so unable to see, smelled of hops, citrus perfect hops, tasted like more. I definitely did not get my fill of Heady Topper although some might argue my thirst is never quenched. Overall I loved it and it was perfect for me. Would not change a damn thing.

This beer changed my life. I used to just drink beer. Now I experience beer. First time I had this it was like an explosion of hop flavor went off in my mouth. I poured it into a glass contrary to the instructions on the can. Flavors were like nothing I had ever experienced. Such complex citrus, pine and malt flavors combined to produce a brew that is truly life changing.

Wow lives up to the hype, just a delicious beer straight from the can, doesn't get better had this fresh like 3 days fresh and honestly I can see how this beer redefines DIPA's there is nothing else like this.

Heady Topper is a world class IPA. Although the turbidity isn't as strong as Hill Farmstead or Tree House, Heady is somewhat translucent yellow. I smell some oranges, grapefruit, and lemons. The taste has some medium bitterness up front with a slightly tart, lemony note following. The taste hits early on and falls off rather quickly and cleanly for great drinkability for 8% abv. Overall, fabulous beer. Nevertheless, I think Julius surpasses Heady due to its creaminess.

Tasted was Greatness. The after taste is literally thirst quenching, by far the best IPA ive ever had, and to top it off its a double IPA, Smell is floral with a solid hop aroma.

While drinking a lovely IPA from "Fiddlehead," the waiter presented an ice cold can (I'd never seen) and instructed, "If you think that was good, try this." With the latency of lightning came a surprise the likes of which I had never before experienced and have yet to duplicate since. Like the picture on the can, simply mind blowing. For a hop loving homo sapient such as myself, there is no beer I would rather have in hand, no commercial graphic that signals ultimate gustatory pleasure is imminent. Across look, smell, taste, and feel, as Billy Crystal might say, "Simply mahvelous, darling." I'd give it a 6, if I could.

The hype is real. Took a few days to get used to the taste, but this is by far the best beer I've ever had. Tastes hoppy with a hint of pine. Perfect for a summer on Lake Champlain.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist