Love Belgian Beer?

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,231 | Ratings: 12,558
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

16 oz. can directly from the vessel to my mouth. I poured a fraction for appearance.

A: Golden honey color with a white head. Pretty typical for the style.

S: A remarkable achievement in the aroma department. This is the beer that I will use to judge all others on aroma. Pungent, stinging hops, with a balanced biscuity, bready backbone. Pure citrus hops, and dense pine. A pleasure for the senses.

T: You know, being from Southern CA, I see a lot of IPAs come and go. We have quite a few to chose from after all. Most don't live up to the hype, but a few do. This is one of those few. I haven't experienced grapefruit bitterness like this in a beer before. It's honestly like biting into a ripe grapefruit. I love my IPAs bold and pungent, and this delivers more than any other. A bitter assault.

M: Again, this is average for the style. Medium bodied and good carbonation helps to scrub the palate, but in the end, the hops win. Leaves a hop coating.

O: yeah, it's as good as they say, and maybe even better. And I still have a can left.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stunning beer. Cloudy pale gold with a nice white head and moderate sticky lacing. The nose is grapefruit and pine with a sweet aroma in the back. The taste is amazing. Medium body, sweetness, citrus fruit and bitter pine. Really great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Picked up case max last Tuesday while looking for Sip Of Sunshine. Great drinkability and balance. As I have heard, the flavor does change as you move through the layers. Hop flavor and bitterness come at you from all different angles.

Had on Tap at the Blind Tiger some months back... from notes

A- Cloudy orange appearance with some good head developed. Looks like grapefruit juice that has settled and is sitting out.

S- Tons of tropical fruit smells in the nose. This is a very good smelling DIPA.

T- Love the fact that there isn't too much of that caramel backbone in most DIPAs that I avoid and that the hops are in the forefront of the beer's taste. It's a tad bit unbalanced but I don't mind it if I'm drinking one can but I would have to stop after the 2nd can because the alcohol isn't completely hidden.

M- Heavy, almost syrupy beer. Love it.

O- This isn't the perfect beer to me. The only issue I have with it is the fact that I can taste the alcohol prominently due to the fact that they put in less malts to balance. It would have killed if it had no alcohol trace like the Pliny but at the same time the taste and nose blows virtually all other DIPAs. But it's still damn tasty but I will stop at only drinking one per session and then focus on a more balanced IPA or DIPA such as what Hill Farmstead occurs.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: pours a hazy golden yellow color with a 1" head that falls to a thick surface covering. Mild lace develops during the session.

Smell: orange, grapefruit, lemon zest, fruit sweetness and some floral notes rise from the glass.

Taste: caramel, orange, grapefruit, lemon zest, pear, and a floral bitterness create a superbly balanced beer. Alcohol is not noticeable at all.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp from start to finish, with a light dryness late.

Overall: took a while for me to get my hands on this, but it was really good and refreshing. Definitely a great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Big thanks to Papat444 for this one. Very excited to try it!

Beer is a very cloudy orange/yellow. Small white head, dissipates quite quickly.

Wow, the nose is huge and juicy. Mango, orange, pineapple. Pine as well. A real hop monster. Terrific scent.

Taste does not disappoint the lovely aroma. Pine is more upfront than in the nose, although the citrus and tropical fruit flavours are in full effect. The citrus comes out a bit more than the tropical, whereas I found the reverse in the nose. Grapefruit, orange, some pineapple. Aftertaste has lots of citrus and tropical fruit. Quite bitter. Very drinkable at 8%- the alcohol is there but not aggressively. Very, very good.

Medium bodied, moderately carbonated, oily. Really nice feel. Not overly heavy, goes down very smoothly, but still has a real heft to it.

Overall, truly terrific. Does not disappoint a bit. My wife tried it, her eyes went wide and she remarked "this is delicious!"... and she is not even much of a beer fan. That says it all to me.

Special thanks to Andrew84 for this one

First gulps from the can an then poured into a standard pint glass.

Poured an opaque light golden with tons of bits floating all around, totally unexpected. Less than a finger head leaving light tracing as it was drank.

Smell was overpowering of grapefruit hoppiness with slight pine nose. Seriously could have smelled this all night, someone at Yankee Candle make this a fragrance!

Mouthfeel was slightly thick and resiney that perfect for the taste that was to follow.
Cannot believe how stinking good is. Grapefruit wallop with other citrus flavors following, most prominently orange. Solid malt backbone that stays out of the way but providing the necessary balance to make this every bit as deserving as its ranking.

Overall this is one of the best beers I've had. Pliny the Elder was somewhat of a disappointment to me so East Coast wins this round. IMO that doesn't happen often in the hop realm.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

This is a great IPA for sure. Lots of pine and citrus up front. Smooth finish with nice balanced hops. Alcohol does get more pronounced after a few sips.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yup. The hype gets so intense that there is often a rogue wave of backlash to counter its momentum. It was in this mind frame of slightly lowered expectations that I had my first sip of this admittedly outstanding beverage.

It's not that the beer is intensely rich or bitter, but that its profile is one of the most layered I have ever tasted, especially in an IPA, a style which can often times seem very one dimensional, no matter how hoppy you may like it.

Appearance - Silver with black highlights. Beautifully shaped cans. ;)

Smell - Marijuana. No joke. Pineapple. Caramel. Pine. Flowers. Wow.

Taste - Soft bitter pine, malt, pineapple and a variety of consumable greens. Very consistent with the smell.

Mouthfeel - Creamiest IPA I've ever tasted. Chewy even.

Finish - Stays with you all day.

Overall - Yup. It's the best IPA I've ever had, knocking the citrus-heavy Lagunitas Sucks off of its perch. Having tried other great double IPA's like Triple Sunshine, Enjoy By, Focal Banger, The Crusher, Lunch, Abner, and Society & Solitude #4, I think I have enough comparison to justify my reaction.

Now time to hunt down those west coast IPA's ..

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Ashley for the trade again for some fresh heady. Poured from the can into a snifter, amber golden color with nice initial head that recedes quick with sticky lacing rim. Cloudy and chunky but so damn inviting. Nose is great with hops hops and floral aromas. Taste is the king on the heady. Explosion of hops and bitterness that is balanced on initial hit to the palate and then the hops and piney bitterness builds. The finish on this beer is amazing.

The balance factor is not quite up to the Pliny and abrasive level, but is definitely in my third favorite dipa.

Bill

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Don't want to be to technical with reviews so here goes MY take on this beer.

Look is really good, I like them clean, not into the cloudy/hazy stuff that seems the rage atm. Smell is what I expect from a hoppy beer. Good clean hop smell that is, not dank (not that dank is bad). Taste is pretty spot on too. Nice bite, but not to bitter that lingers on the tongue just long enough for you to want more Everything about this beer screams hops. This is, imho, a beer that deserves its standing as world class!! Thanks to my buddy that tossed me one of this after his trade!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Drinking straight from the can. Have poured it into a glass before, but definitely prefer the can. As soon as I crack it open you smell all the hops. Pine. Citrus. Big grapefruit aroma.I miss going to the brewery and smelling all the hops. Smells so fresh. A ton of hops on the flavor. All the stuff in the aroma comes through and coats the tongue with a wave of pine and citrus. So resonious. Nice carbonation, as well. Mouthfeel is where this beer shines. Such a great beer and absolutely worth seeking out.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

Not much more to say than what's been said. Stands tall in the world of DIPA's and is amazing on tap and excellent in the can. Not my favorite DIPA but in the top 10.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This looked a bit more viscous than most IPA's. It smelled light, and refreshing, with the slightest amount of citrus, to intrigue. The taste was far more full than I had anticipated, with what seemed like many hop varieties joining together to make for a wonderful experience. The best part for me was the mouthfeel, as I think it had almost a nitro smoothness, as it was creamy and heavy. Overall, I wish I had more than three cans..!

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

A fresh specimen canned on Monday October 8. We quickly developed an intimate rapport with this beer.

A- A murky golden flow cascades from the can, creating a formidable head of about two fingers length. The lace clings to the glass like snow crystals upon a frosted window-foreboding and glorious.

S- We dip our noseys into the glass and are enveloped into a miasma of tropical fruit. The perfumed citrus beckons us onward. We heed its call and take our first sips of this delectable concoction.

T- A hoptastic journey, notes of citrus balance the hop sensations

M- A dense body caressed our cheeks and raised our spirits. The carbonation was sheer perfection.

O- Surely topped off my day!

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Murky golden beer with small head. Huge burst of hops flavors, lemon zest, pine in extreme amounts. Aggressive and yet highly drinkable. Lived up to the hype.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

16 oz can of deliciousness served into a tall tulip.

A- pours golden pale with a lot of sediment floating around giving a very unfiltered look.

S- big huge hops orange and citrus floral notes.

T- the taste pairs right up to the nose.

M- medium body and carbonation. Very smooth week rounded body for such a big beer.

0- heady is a great offering. Big bold hops and great drinkability make this beer great. The only problem is never having enough of it!

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap in VT and from cans. Review from both glass (tulip/large wine glass) and also from the can. Was canned around 2nd week, December 2012.
As always, after 800+ reviews, I think everyone knows what to expect from this beer but just for reference here's my review. Thanks to papat444 for the 4 pack :D

(from glass)
A: Pours light straw colour, but extremely opaque, possibly do to hop resins. (if you pour out the end of the can into another glass it is even more cloudy.. with resin?)...not chunky at all, just a fine mist. Light bubbles and light head as well that doesn't build up too much but leaves a slight lace around the rim of the beer as it goes down.

S: Floral, more in the range of sweeter hop smells, some citrus fruit... I don't get as much pine/resin type of hop smell as with some out DIPA's/IIPA's. Otherwise just a lot of endless hops. When you stick you nose in the tulip you get hit with a wonderful green bouquet and know what you're in for!

T: As others noted, aromas lead right into flavours...more floral hops at the start, citrus, and what you don't get so much of in the nose, bitterness and resin, which comes out as it rushes to the back of your throat & explodes back into your mouth...superbly balanced compared to some other super hopped beers. Bitter enough to be a IIPA but not over the top... it just keeps going and because it is so well balanced you just want to keep going...where as some super hopped beers keep piling on the bitterness to where you can't taste anything afterwards for days... this one is like a clean slate each sip....and just a note, if you are savouring it, it will get more resin/bitterness as it warms but still no hint of malts really.

T / M: (from can): Almost like a nitrous injection of hops. As you drink from the can you get both the beer and the hop aromas at once, which is nice. Out of the can it seems to carry a bit more resins and more intense hops... you might also not get as much bitterness because you get a bit more carbonation on your tongue than from drinking out of the glass, so it is more sparkling and refreshing which makes the flavours jump around a little more, but does emphasis the hops for sure... overall it was interesting drinking out of the can.... not sure I'd say it tastes all that much different to be honest, (and I didn't do back to back in 1 shot), but it certainly doesn't diminish the quality of this beer. I'd say glass is probably fine, but you're good either way. Drinking out of the can might be a little closer to what you get on tap (minus the Guinness toys..) but again, didn't do that comparison either.

M: Pine resin stickiness...you'll be tasting this all night on your palette... incredibly balanced... like a hop oil slick, smooth upon entry and as it goes down, no hint of the ABV at all. Perfect amount of carbonation to keep it fresh but not attacking your tongue to distract.

O: What can I say that hasn't already been said before. Best IIPA ever? I haven't tried all the other ones. Best one I've tried so far? definitely. Drink-ability for this amount of hops is outstanding. Hard to get to all the hop flavours in such a complicated hopped beer, but that is ok, this isn't about sipping an Imperial Stout till you get to the bottom of the complexity.... the Alchemist set out to make a perfectly hoppy, drinkable IPA and have surely succeeded where many others fail. For a IIPA this is near perfection. I don't go back to a lot of beers but I would drink this often if I lived in VT...

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a pint glass and a nice fluffy head developed which lasted through the drink. Aroma was very hoppy with flower and citris notes. Appearance was a cloudy straw color with nice sediment chunks. Tast was super hoppy with strong flower and hop notes with grain on the back. Mouthfeel was light but with a hint of creamyness. Aftertaste was dry and bitter on the end.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Classic for a reason. Lots of fruit showing, and juicy mouthfeel. It is worth tracking this one down. Had it from the can, as advised to do. Slightly cloudy orangey color. Not quite as hoppy as Focal Banger.

4.69/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

been a member for a while now and visit the site frequently but have never written a review so i figured why not start here, after finally getting my hands on this gem.

like others, i was a skeptic, wondering how much better could this beer really be compared to dirt wolf, hopslam, other top knotch ipas, etc. Well for me, the hype is real. IMO, this is a perfectly crafted, well executed representation of a DIPA. Now that i have began home brewing, i have a new appreciation for what it takes to craft a delicious beer. From the nose right on through to the mouthfeel, this brew is outstanding. sip after sip you continue to taste just the most absolute fresh, juicy, dank, hop flavor. mouthfeel is sticky, medium bodied and almost creamy.

definitely my new favorite beer. well done Alchemist, Well done.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Perfect looking unfiltered IPA. Completely opaque due to dense haze - the color is a beautiful blend of sunshine and orange juice. A nice, slightly off white head coats the top of the beer and leaves great sticky lacing.

S: Holy shit - has so many layers of flavors. I have never experienced an aroma fly out of the bottle/can before like this - smacks you in the face. Incredibly clean and fresh. Sweet pink grapefruit, bitter grapefruit rind, outrageously fresh pine and a touch of resin. Some orange juice and mango that blends with the sticky astringency. So much going on, I am not able to do it justice through my description. Just overwhelmingly fresh and clean, balanced with bitterness and astringency.

T: Huge, full, intense, completely fulfilling. I actually find drinking from the can is notably better, just too bad you can't look at it that way. A blast of fresh pine, sweet pink grapefruit and bitter grapefruit, much more astringency than on the nose and decently bitter. Incredibly balanced and outrageously flavorful.

P: Hard to say this, but almost the best part. Smooth and creamy - fullest bodied IPA I've come across, and one of the smoothest beers in general.

O: I, as all who haven't had this beer before, have had this on the top of my wants. Almost always this type of hype gets in the way of truly enjoying the beer as an unreachable mark has been set. Well, this destroyed any mark I could have imagined for myself. Truly an amazing beverage and one of the best tasting anythings I've ever had.

4.69/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Golden/Amber, hazy, 2+ inches big thick fluffy head, light patchy lacing, light carbonation rising, large amount of yeast.

S - Huge citrus, lemon, orange, lovely grapefruit, carmel

T - Dry grapefruit, lemon, citrus, tropical fruit, pine. finish: bitter (8/10), med/high acidity

M - Creamy, super frothy, full body, certainly a piney grapefruit lingerer, excellent carbonation

O - Phenomenal grapefruit, just about perfect IPA mouth. zero booze, love the pine. my only preference happens to be a sweeter opposes to drier IIPA.

4.69/5  rDev +0.6%

Very happy I finally get to try this one, straight from the tap into my pilsner glass. Pours yellowish orange with a slight haze, small off white head with good retention and some nice lacing. As soon as this beer hits the table I can smell the hops. This is up there with some of the best smelling IPAs made. Pineapple, sweet malts, tropical fruit, not a hint of bitterness - just wonderful aroma hops. Taste is surprisingly different from the smell, and this isnt a bad thing. Pineapple and tropical fruit flavor but with a bit more bitterness then I was expecting, some biscuit malt (not a lot, just enough to provide balance), a slightly spicy, earthy hop finish. The lighter side of medium body with a medium light carbonation, finishes very clean. This is an excellent IPA and hands down the best one to come from anywhere east of California. Very different then the west coasters in terms of flavor, but much smoother and more drinkable then Pliny or some of the other notables. I wanted to try everything at the Alchemist and this was my first, and then my second beer. Wish I could drink this every night.

4.69/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Heady Topper is absolutely lives up to the hype is is one of the world class IPAs without question. Fresh resinous hops with tons of flavor. What is not to love. Cheers!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist