Heady Topper | The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,294 | Ratings: 12,891
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It says drink from the can but I poured it anyway for appearence reasons. Very west coast style, up there with the best of IPA's I have had. Wonderfully juicy and very refreshing, if it weren't 8% I could easily drink a sixer of it. Only had once since I am living in PA but will search out again

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had it out of a can at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury. Poured a little into a taster just to check out the look, cloudy and straw colored. A nice hoppy aroma, but more subtle, not a punch to the face like other doubles.
Great taste, very smooth and well balanced for a double. Not an overpowering hop taste at all. A very drinkable double IPA, though my personal preference gives the nod to Sip of Sunshine.

Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours an uber-cloudy golden orange with 2 fingers of head that reveals thick bubbly lacing. A lot of yeast sediment is suspended throughout the glass.

N: Very tropical with pineapple, papaya, tangerine and mango. Navel orange and lemon. Nice bready aromas along with caramel.

T: Juicy tangerine, papaya and mango with touches of peach and pineapple upfront. Mid-palate has big bready malts drizzled in caramel with notes of lemon juice and navel orange. Finishes initially with the breadiness taking over and transitions to pine needles and maybe some grapefruit pith.

M: Medium-full bodied, juicy, smooth, dry and slightly sticky. Carbonation is light.

O: The tropical notes are out of this world. Nicely balanced with bread and caramel and not aggressively bitter. Very easy drinking with no hint of the 8% abv. This is a beautiful beer.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Orange colored pour into snifter with off white head leaving moderate lacing.
S: Tremendous nose with citrus, floral and hop aromas dominating.
T: Grapefruit flavors hit the palate first and malt backbone with a hoppy clean crisp dry finish.
M: Medium flavored with active carbonation. chewy with significant sediment including hop resins that were simply remarkable.
O: Unbelievably drinkable beer that was an experience, not simply a beer. I truly enjoyed Heady Topper.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on this beer. Wow is it good. Was expecting a bit more wow from all the hype but didn't get it. Pliny blew me away but heady just delivered. But by no means am I disappointed. Cannot wait to get more of this.

The thing falling short for me is smell and feel. Taste and look are perfection.

Smell is not much different from other brews and feel was rather carbonated. Sorta foamed up on the tongue where I was hopping for a clean finish.

Overall an amazing beer and wish it was offered here so that I could drink this gold year round.

Cheers

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a stark white bubbly head. The aroma is great. The second the can pops you can smell the hops. The aroma is of piney hops and floral hops. It smells like an earthly flower shop. The taste follows suit, there is no ripe your face of bitterness just a great blended flavor. The malts are there as the backbone, but the hops play out with piney earthy hops up front before a floral and citrus hop flavor comes through at the end. The mouthfeel is perfect. Overall this beer is as good as advertised. A great beer a must try.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

This review is comprised from notes taken on multiple days from multiple cans consumed from either a snifter or the can itself as suggested. There really isn’t much difference between the can and glass version.

A: Pours a very cloudy iced-tea color with a finger of bright white oily head that slowly faded into a very greasy film that left soapy patches of bubbly lace down the glass.
S: Stupid powerful and bright scents of fresh citrus hops layered with sweet tropical fruits and a blast of pine. Much easier to smell out of the glass.
T: Follows the nose with very sweet and fresh flavors of tropical fruit nectars and slightly bitter citrus juice. The hops in this are just so fresh while being so flavorful and easy to drink. The finish is sweet, juicy and honey-like, and the aftertaste is very smooth with hardly any bitterness.
M: Very slick and greasy mouthfeel, oily thick body, soft and fluffy carbonation. This goes down so smooth.
O: One of the best DIPA’s in the world. Definitely top 5. Love the flavors in this. Every bit as good out of the can than the bottle. If I lived near where this beer is distributed, I would always keep my fridge stocked at all times.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

I'm very glad I kept tabs on the reviews for Heady Topper so I knew when it was available again. A nearly 3-hour trip to the brewpub on a Sunday...

Hazy bright orange with a small white head. Turns to a swirly cap and ring and leaves some lacing. But it only got better from here.

Smell is very great and fruity. Tons of citrus, tangerine, tropical notes, grapefruit, but it does seem to fade quickly over time.

Taste exceeds the smell, easily. Still tons of hoppy citrus, tangerine and tropical notes. Warm biscuity malt and a little bit of earth, everything is balanced perfectly. Reminds me of PtE but the fruit is much more present. Aftertaste is amazing, lingers long after it's gone. The second glass was even better than the first, just excellent.

Along with the balance, the bitterness and carbonation are absolutely perfect. Drinkability is through the roof, 12 oz for $4 for the best DIPA I have had.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

Big shout out to SilentJay for picking me up a case of this when he was up in VT this weekend and meeting me when I flew into Boston/NH for a few weeks. A mystery box will be coming his way soon. Should have been a batch within a week, two max.

A: Following the directions of the can, I drank it straight from the can versus pouring. Perhaps my next will be into a glass.

S: Even from the small opening of the can, quite the aroma. Plenty of citrus & tropical fruits and hops.

T: This is without a doubt the most well balanced DIPA I've had. Finally a benchmark has been set for what they should taste like. The hops and tropical fruits meld together perfectly without a harsh after-taste.

M: Pretty light bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

O: I was wondering if this would live up to the hype and it certainly did. It is certainly the best DIPA I've tasted. Not even because of the flavors but just because how well balanced everything was. I'll be interested to see the difference in a few weeks from the fresh one I have right now. The only disappointment is after this is gone, I won't be getting any for quite awhile.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

Enjoyed in a can like it says on the can so my look I just gave a 4.

I will say that it is always hard to live up to the hype. I have had many beers in my 5 years of enjoying craft beer (27 currently) and enjoyed many different styles. I was blessed to get a 4 pack of this beer and can easily say it is a top 3 IPA/Double IPA for me. I never like to say this is the best beer I ever had so that is why I will never say that about this beer but it lived up to the hype. This beer has everything I want in an IPA and it has that mouthfeel that many IPAs don't have. This beer is incredible. If you get the honor, TRY TRY TRY!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Glowing hazy yellow with a thick head.

S – Very pungent piney, citrusy aroma. Pineapple, over ripe fruit, hop forward.

T – Taste does not disappoint, again straight forward hops, no crystal malt, very dry. The amount of hop taste The Alchemist actually gets is very impressive.

M – Mouthfeel fills your mouth, lively carbonation with an abrupt bitterness finish, quite oily

O – The amount of hop taste The Alchemist actually gets is very impressive, the aroma, especially if you smell out of the can is very very intense, but the taste completely mimics it.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank from the can, poured just a sip or two to see what it looks like.

A: murky straw yellow, medium head.

S: super strong dank hops, floral, tropical.

T: incredible. perfect balance between tropical fruit and bitterness. slightly more malt backbone than i expected. the drinkability is absolutely ridiculous, no hint of alcohol.

M: one of the best parts about the beer in my opinion. the drinkability is on a level i've never experienced before. its almost as though the beer just goes down and then you taste an explosion of flavors that linger on your palette afterwards.

O: no doubt that this is an absolutely incredible beer.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

Heady Topper is at the top of most DIPA lovers lists or beer aficionados lists and for good reason.

A - Poured half into a snifter and left the other half in a can each of the four times I drank this to compare. Beautiful bright sunshine orange with pale highlights and a half inch creamy foam head.

S - smell is by far the best smelling IPA i have had a chance to try. Fresh fruits, grapefruits, flowers, pine. Not to overpowering hoppy smell.

T- My favorite DIPA to date as it taste like it smells. THe balance between the fruit and the hops is perfect.

M - Overall amazing mouthfeel. THe alcohol is hidden perfectly within this monster.

O - Found a reliable source in Vermont to pick these up for me and will be buying more when the time arises. Now that it's getting colder its time to stick to the world class stouts! This is the cream of the crop of DIPAs!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

16 oz can purchased at Craft Beer Cellar in Waterbury. Drank the first can in my hotel room and poured the second into a snifter just to see the color.

Poured a hazy straw color with a thick head of creamy foam.

The aroma was grapefruit and floral hops. And hops, And more hops. Wow.

Flavor is grapefruit rind and floral hops which almost, but not quite, hide the malt . Hop bitterness that lingers through the finish. Not a beer to be quickly quaffed.

Body was medium with a ton of hop resins left behind to coat my mouth. Its rare that I've tasted this much lingering hop presence. Maybe only on some of the Green Flash beers.

Overall, this is a great DIPA. Definitely deserves to be in the conversation of my top beers.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the can into a tulip glass...

This can was bought in mid-September. Poured a hazy rich goldorange with over 1 finger of off white head. This faded to nice lacing on the glass. Light carbonation noted.

First whiff is hops and then the citrus presence, namely grapefruit, pine and some other hints. So nice on the nose but it doesn't give away anything about what's coming in the tasting....

Remembering that this has been sitting in the fridge since mid-September I figured there would be some difference between this and the one I had at the brewery. I wasn't too far off. The hop profile has softened slightly but the first notes are the hops, then the citrus, other fruit hints and pine. The beer is still so balanced there wasn't one flavor that stood out above the others. Certainly the malts haven't taken over and dumbed down the flavor profile, it's just a bit mellower than when fresh.

Medium body for me with a clean, fresh taste and a dry, hop finish. Smooth all the way through. Lower carbonation than what I remember but I don't mind a bit.

Overall this beer lives up to its name. As I compare it to other DIPA, this one is still at the top of my list, even one that's a little older and less-fresh than right out of the brewery. Awesome job Alchemist and hopefully I'll come by some more of this down the road.

Cheers!!!

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

There's quite a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and it is my favorite style, so I was very excited to finally be able to pick some up while in Vermont recently. I drank my first one last night from the can like it says, but this time I'm pouring a whole can into a 16 oz Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass for the review (and yes I will drink the remaining two from the can!)

A - Pours a very hazy golden orange with about 1 1/2 fingers of foamy off-white head. Some very small but noticeable particulates floating in the glass. Much cloudier than your typical DIPA.

S - As soon as the pressure inside the can was released, the room was enveloped in an amazing hop/tropical fruit aroma. Diving further into the head you'll notice TONS of grapefruit and sweet bready malt. Peaches, mango and tropical fruit are also there. A nice earthy, grassy hop aroma comes through as well but the fruits dominate.

T - Initially sweet and fruity, it rides out to a spectacular grassy and piney finish. There is so much citrusy hoppy goodness packed into this can. The freshness of the hops is really unparalleled, it is by far the "juiciest" DIPA I've been able to track down. The hops are complimented by a sweet bread malt backbone and it is extremely well balanced. Dry, bitter, and slightly boozy aftertaste. Very little booziness in the taste however, just loads of super fresh and pure hoppy goodness.

M - Chewy and full bodied with somewhat low carbonation, but it's spot on. A little oily and sticky on the lips, as expected.

O - Are there more insane DIPAs out there? Of course. But this has to be one of the freshest and "purest" tasting DIPAs I have ever had. It's near flawless and quite remarkable, and totally warrants the $12 price tag for the 4 pack. If you're a true hophead like me, you really have no choice but to seek this out. It warrants the hype and I'm hoping it will propel this brilliant brewer to future success and more releases.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked up a fresh 4-pack at the Healthy Living Market in Burlington, Vt. Definitely one of the more beautiful cans I've ever purchased.

A: Pours a slightly hazy bronze-copper colour with a marshmallow-like creamy foam head. Decent retention and very good lacing down the glass.

S: Amazing. Damp earthy moss funkyness, lumberyard pine, a big grapefruit and mango element, and creamy walnut. Incredibly smooth and well integrated aromas.

T: Buttered biscuit-like malt serves as the backbone, with an earthy pine bitterness and tart grapefruit and sweet mango upfront. An earthy damp wood and mushroom-like elements are present. The taste screams fresh. Smooth, creamy, and very well balanced. Alcohol pretty much undetectable.

M: Full body with a moderate carbonation. Quite oily (welcoming) with a slightly resiny and grainy texture.

D: One of the best IPA's I've ever tasted. What else can I say?

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Pours a hazy, hop particle filled, reddish-orange color with a thick billowing white head that slowly retracts to a couple centimeters. Leaves a ton of lacing as sipped down.

S: The smell of this beer is simply amazing. At the first whiff it reminds me of a fresh bag of hops or hop pellets. Juicy mango, luscious grapefruit, and juicy pineapple, a long with some resinous pine.

T: Bursting with flavor! Pineapple, grapefruit, apricot, mango, orange and a slight bit pine resin. The taste lives for minutes beyond the sip. Even though this is brewed in Vermont, it tastes like Hawaii. Definitely balanced towards this bitter side.

M: Smooth, medium bodied, soft carbonation, juicy.

O: Hand down best IPA I have ever had. Previous IPA World Champion went to Pliny E/Flower Power but this just blows them away. All I gotta say is MOAR!!!!

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to BeRanger for this one.

2012 vintage. No canning date, but likely less than 1 month old. 16 oz. can poured into a snifter.

A: Incredibly hazy orange body with a finger of fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. Tons of sediment. In fact, I've never seen so much sediment in a fresh DIPA.

S: Huge citrus hop notes. Straight up orange and grapefruit. Very straight to the point here.

T: Wow. Incredibly hoppy, but not overpowering. The orange is the most dominant citrus note on the palate. It almost has a fresh orange juice flavor to it. The hop bite hits up front, but it's short-lived because it's quickly followed by the citrus sweetness.

M: This is about the perfect amount of carbonation. Just the right amount of dryness and sweetness, as well. Resinous, but not a palate killer.

O: This beer is well-deserving of the hype it receives. The drinkability is incredible. I was a little put-off at first by all the hop sediment, and I do wonder how it impacted the flavor. I also probably should've had a couple of tastes straight from the can. I guess I will just need to track down more. One of the best DIPA's I've ever had.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

After years of hearing all the hype about this brew, and wondering if I'd ever get the chance to try it without making a special trip to Vermont, I finally hold a can of this "whale" in my hand. I'd like to give a special thanks to Jason for this amazing gift. My excitement is mounting, time to crack it open...

Poured a small amount into a sample snifter for appearance, I will enjoy the rest from the can as instructed.

A: Pours a hazy golden straw color, with a beautiful foamy white head.

S: Very intense and pleasant hoppy, and fruity aromas immediately bombard the nostrils. Fresh citrus rind, grapefruit, blood orange, mango, and other tropical fruits meld perfectly with a dank herbal hoppyness. I also pick up some slight hints of sweet bread like malts, honey, and even fresh mint. It's pretty incredible how quickly the smell dominates the senses immediately as the can is cracked open, it instantaneously wowed me. This is quite possibly the best aroma I have ever gotten from an IPA especially considering the fact that you get so much of it even when drinking from a can. This is unprecedented for me.

T: Holy f**k! I have been drinking some absolutely savage IPA's lately, but this is on a whole other level. Big Flavors of citrus and tropical fruits blast your taste buds, and follow the mold the aromas lay out for you. Grapefruit, blood orange, apricot, lemon, mango and papaya blend together perfectly with grassy herbal, and resiny pine hop bitterness, and a subtly sweet malt backbone. This is one of the best tastes to have ever graced my tongue. I am beyond impressed, I didn't think it could be this good, damn was I wrong.

M: Full bodied with a nice juicy character. Medium to high amount of bubbly carbonation. Very slight hint of alcohol warmth. Rediculously drinkable with a crisp refreshing finish and pleasant lingering bitterness.

O: Wow! I must say this transcended all of my expectations, and surpassed the hype. I may legitimately shed a tear when I take my last sip. I wish I could get this regularly because I would drink it everyday if I could. I have had probably well over a 1,000 brews and this is one I would easily put in my top 25. It may take the cake as far as IPA's go. Obviously there are still some great ones I have yet to try, but at this moment in time this is my new benchmark IPA. If you ever have the chance to try this DO IT! Truly a nectar of the Gods beer.

Thanks again Jason!

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Poured about 3oz into glass. Murky golden yellow, small head disipates quickly.

S:Lots of hops and citrus. Really mouthwatering.

T: I get a ton of hops mixed with orange, pineapple and grapefruit. So unbelievably drinkable.

M: Not as sticky as most DIPAs, leaves a citrus rather than bitter aftertaste.

O: I was afraid this wasn't going to live up to the hype but it absolutley did, I've never had a DIPA with pineapple characteristics before and it mixed with the other fruits and hops so well. I couldn't be happier with this beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just got back from vacation and still had some Heady that I could review. Even as someone who lives close to the Heady delivery locations, this is unnecessarily difficult to get a hold of. Certainly a great beer, but I would recommend any of those dishearted to find this sold out to seek Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. It's just as good imho but much more available.

L - Cloudy amber body with nice foamy white head. Great retention and lacing.

S - Nice hoppy citrus

T - Strong bitter hop, floral, pine, citrus, and peppery. Malts are earthy and smokey in the background. Aftertaste leaves you with fresh bitter hop.

F - Medium body with moderate fine carbonation. Resinous and sticky.

O - Yep, a fantastic IPA. The hype may be over the top, but it is an exceptional beer and I'd drink it frequently if I could. Certainly worth the effort for a taste.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

One of my favorites ... I buy a case every other month or so.

Appearance - is a cloudy, golden orange and small amounts of debris in suspension. Lots of speculation on what is is, but we all seem to agree it tastes pretty damned good! I always wish for more head.

Smell - grapefruit avalanche with spots of other citrus ... minimal but present pine and perhaps a little lemongrass.

Taste - the gift that keeps on giving. waves of aromatic hops roll to the back of the tongue and crash on the shoreline of the pallet. Huge bitterness balanced with mingling sweetness. Maybe a little diacetyl buttery inbetween??? Very complex beer ... I may never fully understand its beauty.

Mouthfeel - rich, thick, and slippery. Very modest carbonation.

Overall - a very rich and rewarding beer. The kind of beer that spoils you and makes you question others that you liked a month ago ...

What a beer!!!
Could not help, but to pour it for a review.
It has a cloudy medium gold color and builds a creamy white head, witch leaves good lacing.
The smell is full of citrusy, fruity and flowery hops.
The taste is an incredible abundance of hop flavors, yet balanced be just enough malt, not to be overpowering. Great mouthfeel and drinkability makes this one probably the best I have tasted yet.
Fantastic beer and I think my personal beer high score!!!

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

I finally made the 3 hour drive to get some Heady Topper.
I'm going to drink some out of the can, as they suggest, and some out of a snifter, as I tend to prefer.

pouring half(ish) of the can into an oversized snifter gives a glowing golden orange body and a pure white head that is not too oversized, but sticks around and laces well.

tropical fruits slam my nose with tons of citrus, juicy and bitter, and some pine, lemon zest, some earthy/floral hops and some light malts. very aromatic.

tons and tons of resiny hop flavors with tropical fruits, juicy and bitter citrus, tons of pine, a good amount of bitterness, and a sweetness that comes in for a visit before it finishes resiny and bitter. (when I took a 1 ounce sample at the brewery, I tasted it the whole 3 hour drive home!) what a tasty, intense beer.

medium bodied and over-the-top resiny with just enough carbonation to add a prickly feel. it starts and ends as pure hop resin though.

oh my god. definitely meets the expectations. I'm glad I spent my Christmas money to buy an entire case. I was going to share a lot of it, but I have a feeling I'll be drinking a lot of this the next week!!! Happy new year to me!!!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist