Heady Topper | The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,244 | Ratings: 12,632
3.72/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- Orange in color, with a good clingy IPA head.

S- Smells spicy in hop aroma. Definitely an East Coast IPA in that the hops aren't bright and citrusy, but more earthy and vegetal.

T- Tastes of an EC IPA. It tasted solid, but I don't like the hop profile.

M- Solid mouthfeel, I like a good thick IPA.

0- Overall it wasn't a bad beer. Would I want to buy more, no not me personally.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Searching for the holy grail of beer, brought me to Vermont. Found 12 cans at hunger mountain coop, will taste from the can as well. Continued the pilgrimage to the prohibition pig. Ordered heady toppers for me and son #2 whilst waiting for a table.

Tap poured into a snifter. Hazy yellow with a nice white foam cap.

Citrus and pine hop aroma.

Taste of the hops but without a bitter start. Slight bitter aftertaste and that is what sets this beer apart. More flavorful without the explosion of bitter taste . Citrusy with a hong of pine. Even the college son appreciated this beer over his preferred Budweiser, Great beer , flavorful, well balanced but doesn't club your senses. Rewards you with a great taste that warms as it settles to room temperature.

4.27/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First off..gotta thank Rich at South Bay Beverage in Massapequa,NY..he gave me Heady for FREE..he knew i was looking for it and had some he was drinking for himself,not for sale..so props to Rich..

Upon popping can..got really nice hop aroma,,not overly so..which was surprising..with all previous reviews i expected more hop aroma..but citrus,pine odor was very good..nice orange/amber color with 2-3 finger head..smooth taste..not as hoppy as i thought it would be..maybe that's my fault for expecting too much from this...excellent DIPA..but not best..and certainly not top beer in the world..in that respect..very overrated.

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%

Been waiting to try this beer for a looong time. It was worth the wait.
I cannot testify as to the appearance of the beer. I drank it from the can, as directed.
Before drinking it, smell it! It doesn't get any better, really. Just amazing.
It tastes as good or better than it smells. By far the smoothest double IPA I have ever had. So drinkable, yet full of rich flavors. I only had one can, I could have imbibed many more.

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Been looking forward to this for a long time. Drove up to Vermont to get me a case. Yes it was worth the trip. Had one on Tap when in Waterbury. I had my first one from the case out of the can as directed the next day I had one from a tulip glass. was impressed with the smell or nose both ways. The appearance is the weak link here. Not ugly but a little hazy you might say. Dose not effect my felling towards the beer at all though but I scored it a 4,25 to be true.

I enjoyed the Heady Topper very much. It is a wonderful beer. One I can not recommend enough. I am enjoying my case with a select few and will drive back for an other when needed.

gp

4.18/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A kind of ugly beer - I see why they suggest drinking it from the can. Pours a hazy orange with a little sediment and not much in the way of head action. The aroma is fruity - tropical, with some apricot and mango. The flavor follows suit, with mango, apricot, pineapple, and a blast of big sticky hops. The mouthfeel is big and round. This beer is at once unusual and familiar - it reminds me of the beer to which it is so often compared, Pliny the Elder, though it is bigger and fuller, both in its tropical fruit and rounder mouthfeel. It's clearly less dry than the Russian River beer. But curiously the West Coast beer to which it most closely compares, in my view, is Racer 5 from Bear Republic - they are different beers, but both are round, fruity and given to showing up with a thick orange haze. It is as if Racer 5 and Pliny crashed into one another and spawned some crazy new hybrid. Heady Topper is a very good beer, but I wonder whether the frenzy would be as great if it were produced in greater quantity and distributed more widely.

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a hazy yellowish orange with a white head.

S: Tons of fresh fruits, orange, tangerine, tropical fruit, papaya in an incredible nose.

T: Lots of orange, grass, pine, tangerine, tropical fruit, papaya.

M: Somewhat typical of an IPA, but a bit smoother, which is nice.

O: An incredible IPA. Not my favorite, but BA inflates their ratings, and they don't weight them how I personally would, so it might look that way. I don't know. I'd give it a 95.

4.94/5  rDev +6%

Believe the hype!

Poured from can into shaker pint. Cloudy to say the least, lots of sediment In the straw colored beer. Solid not so foamy head that leaves some wondrous lacing throughout.

Resins piny hoppy dank goodness in the nose, with more to follow in the taste. Mouthfeel is thick and the beer is tasty.

I will NEVER turn down this beer.

4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the can (oops) into a dimpled mug. Pours a cloudy orange-straw colour with a foamy white head.

Smells of alpine grasses and minty herbs. Pungent hop stank.

Tastes of orange and lemon citrus hops, floral hops, grassy hops, hops hops.

Creamy and ebullient in the mouth.

It's a hop bomb that pushes the envelope and manages to stay within the bounds of good (great?) taste.

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

Crack open the can and smell the hops then take a sip, heaven.

Appearance the can is well done with nice artwork. It fits nicely in your hand. I put a koozie on the can to prevent heat transfer from my hand, it doubles to keep my hand warm. Since it's opaque you can't see what the beer looks like.

Smell: piney, citrusy, resiny, that quickly drops off. Drink this one quick.

Taste : hop forward with lovely malt backbone. So balanced.

Mouthfeel: nicely carbonated gives the back end a little tingle to match the front end hops.

Overall: I guess this is a pretty good beer. Maybe even a top ten beer but I haven't tried them all yet so I want to keep my options open. :-)

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drank a few of these from the can as instructed to by the labeling. I just couldn't resist pouring it into a pint glass for the next round.

Beer pours hard and frothy with a single finger lacing swirling to a butterscotch/apricot color. Absolutely beautiful for an IPA.

The smell of this is a complete knockout a double fisted paisley colored floral scented uppercut to the nose. Just full of fragrant floral excellence gently doused with a hint of a Werthers Original butterscotch candy. Its just dying to go to the darkside and give you an alcohol or resin aftertaste but it walks the tightrope of full fledged flavor power without giving in.

Honey drenched carbonated mouth feel washing down slightly syrupy.

This is borderline perfection. It might not be the best IPA but I've certainly never tasted its equal. If you can get your hands on one, grab it, You wont be disappointed.,

cheers

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

Served in a becker pint glass. Second dance with this highly regarded beer, reviewed from notes.

Heady Topper pours with about a finger's-width of white foam, bubbly and cratered. It does not stick around long, becoming a ring around the glass, exposing the lid of the hazy, unfiltered golden body with auburn highlights.

Loads of grapefruit in this bouquet, a little grassy, a bit of herbalness. And a sweet malt scent barely coming through. Very nice foundation of tropical fruit.

Heady Topper leads with that grapefruit, tropical quality on the palate. It gets a little diluted by a bit of earthiness, and a really nice bitter kiss of resin in the finish. Not quite balanced, there certainly is a sweet malt poking through, but the hops are so far ahead in the flavor department.

Very, very smooth for a DIPA. And very creamy, runs right over the tongue. Obviously dry on the finish, because of the very bitter hops on the back of the tongue. And it is also impressive how long the flavors stick around on the cheeks.

What needs to be said? This is obviously a world class beer. Is it worth the hyperbole that is said in the same breath as the name of this hallowed DIPA offering? Maybe. There are other DIPA's that manage to squeeze more clean citrus qualities onto the palate. Thanks for the opportunity to try this one again Hawkeyenation! Good luck on your hunt for this one, and enjoy!

4.12/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This offering from The Alchemist is fantastic, the nose is super herbal and spicy aromatic from the hops. Sweet syrupy mouthfeel with a soft piney hop bite in the finish. Very balanced as stated on the can making this very enjoyable. One of the better IIPA's on the market.

4.55/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Only poured about an ounce as this one is supposed to be enjoyed from the can. Pours a hazy golden orange, decent sized white head for the pour and moderate lacing. Quite hazy but the can states that it is the intention.

Smell- Wow, as soon as I lifted the tab on the can the smell poured out. Pine and more pine, some grapefruit and orange in their as well. I actually get a bit of bitter orange in there also, very pleasant.

Taste- Very well balanced, not bitter at all for a DIPA. Some caramel and malty sweetness, good amount of orange in there. I get some lemon and citrus on the back end with a bit of pine. Awesome taste.

Mouthfeel- A bit thick for the style but it works well. A bit of a creamy texture. Not overly drying and leaves a slick feeling in the mouth.

Overall- Awesome DIPA and a great beer in general. Balance is awesome for such a hoppy beer and one with a higher ABV. Definitely recommend it.

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

BELIEVE THE HYPE!

Being more of a Stout guy I was simply amazed.

Appearance: Orangish-Yellow

Smell: I about fell out, so damn good. They should make an air freshner that smells like this.

Taste: Hoppy Goodness. Citrus shines over piney flavor. Love it.

Mouthfeel: Great, perfect carbonation. Light on the palate on the front and back end.

Overall: I'm a believer.

3.94/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

As a VTer, I have been fortunate to purchase this on a regular basis directly from the brewery.

It appears slightly cloudy and light in color, though if you drink it from the can as advised you will scarcely notice the color.

It smells glorious, with a strong hop presence on many notes.

Those hops come through in the taste - hops rendolent of citrus (namely grapefruit) give a clean, sharp flavor.

The flavor clings to the tongue, saturating the senses with the layers of hops. Despite this, the flavor cleans exits with each swallow.

Purchased and consumed many times over the past couple of years. I typically ignore the can and drink from a tall glass.

If fresh, it pours out a hazy lemonade yellow with a thick foamy head that slowly dissipates and leaves a bit of lace.

Smell is heavy with citrus and a touch of tropical fruit and dank.

Taste varies a little by batch but is typically a grapefruit bomb, with some cannabis, and finishing with a perfect balance of soft bitterness.

Mouth feel is just right - medium body, clean and refreshing.

Overall, this is the ultimate Vermont style IPA - as good as it gets. I wish I could brew it.

4.98/5  rDev +6.9%

Got my hands on a case while visiting VT, absolutely fantastic beer that lived up to the hype.

Similar to Pliny The Elder, which I've had at Russian River, but has just a bit more punch to it.

Obvious grapefruit & pine notes with a very clean finish. Would have never guessed it was 8% strictly based on taste or drinkability.

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours out a nice orange in color in color with a small white head that dissipated quick. Smell is really fruity with orange, mango, and pineapple with a little a tiny bit of malt but it is so in the background that the hops are the forefront. Taste is really fruity with all that was in the nose but there is a tiny bit more bitter hops in the background that sits in the mouth and really meld well with all he other stuff going on. Mouthfeel is actually quite thick for the style and really adds a lot to the beer. Overall this is an amazing beer that is hopped so well that it's a very hard beer to beat for the style. It is world class!!!

FINALLY!! Had the elusive Heady Topper!! Now at first, I wanted to come at this beer with an open mind. After all the hype and the talk about this beer, I cracked my first can. BAM! The aroma hits my nose. The floral, citrusy hoppyness enters my face holes. I take the first sip...let the beer move around my mouth. THIS BEER LIVES UP TO THE HYPE!!! Absolutely delicious from beginning to end. After my first few sips I sat there and just smelled it over and over to let that beautiful hoppyness permeate. great finish to the beer, tons of hops and floral tastes along with a sort of citrus/fruitiness. The hardest thing about this beer is keeping it in my fridge. Don't let anyone know you have this beer if you really want to savor it, because people will ask to drink one. And I'm not willing to share right now.

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

I decided to turn a recent ski vacation on a BeerSKI vacation. Took a trip to Montpellier for a crazily hectic search for this magical nectar. The process of finding HT, and trying to beat out other people in the parking lot to the next case made the first cracking of the can that much more rewarding. After all, this beer is incredible

A: Drank from the can.

S: Beautiful floral aroma upon opening the can. The aroma is pitch perfect for an IPA. I also believe the aroma resonates throughout the drinking experience.

T: The taste is second to none. The initial tasting is unexpected as your hit with a flavorful punch of hoppy explosions on your palate. It's not too citrusy and not too bitter.

M: Great body and feel to HT. It has a great ability to linger in the mouth, which is lovely when were talking about this good a beer.

O: Overall HT deserves a top ranking. I feel as if in many ways HT sets itself apart from other IPA's because of its incredible taste and lingering feel.

Side note: The definition of the ALCHEMIST ( A person who studies and engages in the practice of the process of transforming something common into something special) is incredibly fitting for this beer.

Well Done!

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

My son brought us a bottle of fresh Pliney the Elder for Christmas. I've heard so much about the beer and it certainly lived up to the hype. Talk about fresh-it was bottled 10 days earlier! Immediate grassy, fresh hop aroma followed by the most fresh IPA hop flavor! The flavor seemed to intensify as it warmed up a bit. Clean, refreshing finish. Simply amazing.

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

I have had many hoppy beers....but this one takes the cake.

I am currently drinking my first Heady Topper. I drove, and I am not exaggerating, 30 hours to get a can of this beer. Texas to New York. I thought I would have to do another 3 hrs but I lucked out in New York and found a four pack for a whopping 32$.

But God, was it worth the 32$. I have never drank something so aromatic. Upon opening, it literally smelled like the bliss of a summer day in a field of evergreen trees.

Lots of people on here are talking about complexity. This beer isn't as complex as an einsbock, but the wave after wave of hoppy goodness that overtakes you is TOTALLY worth the wait, price, or sacrifice it took to get a can of this liquid gold in your hands.

Enjoy...when you get some yourself.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

A: hazy golden, i want to jump in

S: every time i crack one i get a really good kind bud scent, hoppy, citrus, bread, floral

T: WOW, each time i have a Heady i am just flat out floored. All the smells come through in the taste.... I Crave this flavor

M: wonderful, smiles as it makes its way down my throat, a great aftertaste that i would be happy to have linger all day

O: fantastic, it just doesn't get better in the the DIPA world, or maybe any other world for that matter. I am always ready for a Heady!

Finally got to try. My can is under a week old. In my book this stuff absolutely lives up to the hype. A perfect hop forward IPA. I prefer it in the glass so I can admire the color and the smell. It appears a murky yellow / orange almost resembling juice. The smell is hops and more hops. Taste just like it smells - awesome! This is the real deal!!!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist