Heady Topper | The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,263 | Ratings: 12,733
4.86/5  rDev +4.3%

Another head sucked into the hype. After trying the sample from the Alchemist tap, which was damn delicious, I was still unsure if the journey was worth it. Settled back where I was staying, I cracked a can and fell in love.

Traveling via car, ferry, train, cab, subway, tram, and plane... a case made it back home to Arizona with me. Friends rejoiced and the nectar was sparingly enjoyed to the last drop.

There are enough ASTMO reviews so I just thought I'd share my story instead.

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

When it's fresh it's truly amazing. Liquid hop candy. Sweet but not cloying with with notes of resin, pine and grapefruit. Like drinking a liquid forest. As it ages it loses it's sweetness and grassy notes begin to dominate.

From the first crack of the can the piney hops aromas are enough to make you think you are amongst the pine covered hills of Vermont. The can does not lie - your first sip will be an explosion of hops. This beer is not for the faint of heart, but if you are a hop head beware... this DIPA could quite possibly ruin all others for you. :)

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the can into a tulip glass...

This can was bought in mid-September. Poured a hazy rich goldorange with over 1 finger of off white head. This faded to nice lacing on the glass. Light carbonation noted.

First whiff is hops and then the citrus presence, namely grapefruit, pine and some other hints. So nice on the nose but it doesn't give away anything about what's coming in the tasting....

Remembering that this has been sitting in the fridge since mid-September I figured there would be some difference between this and the one I had at the brewery. I wasn't too far off. The hop profile has softened slightly but the first notes are the hops, then the citrus, other fruit hints and pine. The beer is still so balanced there wasn't one flavor that stood out above the others. Certainly the malts haven't taken over and dumbed down the flavor profile, it's just a bit mellower than when fresh.

Medium body for me with a clean, fresh taste and a dry, hop finish. Smooth all the way through. Lower carbonation than what I remember but I don't mind a bit.

Overall this beer lives up to its name. As I compare it to other DIPA, this one is still at the top of my list, even one that's a little older and less-fresh than right out of the brewery. Awesome job Alchemist and hopefully I'll come by some more of this down the road.

Cheers!!!

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Made the 7 hour round trip to acquire this wonderful beer.

I can't really add much that hasn't been already said. I tried some in a glass and some out of the can and the can is the way to go. Really enjoyed having this beer nice and fresh.

This is a perfectly balanced beer. Killer hops! It says 8% but this will knock you on your butt after a few.

Will make the trip up to Vermont again!

4.29/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not much of an IPA hop head. But a buddy scored this and I had to try it out of the can followed by in a glass. I actually like the glass offering better, but here goes: Poured from can into DFH snifter. Great looking light pale yellow beer with an inviting 2 fingers of head. Straw hues and a bit of cloudiness. Smell is awesome. Citrus hops meet earthy/pine hops. Getting grapefruit and apricot on the nose. Taste was pretty balanced and smooth for such a strong announced IBU. For not a big fan of the style, I was glad it went down as easy as it did. More pronounced fruit as it warmed. The can offering just seemed a bit less flavorful? to me than the glass. Feel was great with a medium heft and carbonation that was pleasant. Overall: The best IPA I have had, but again it's not my wheelhouse. I liked the citrus frontend and balance. I can see where those who love the style would really like this. I would drink again and think it's a must try.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance is a can, I followed the instructions and I'm glad I did.
Aroma is like no other, peachy, pine, intense tropical fruits, blueberry, pineapple.
Flavor is so tropical, extremely complex and well balanced beer.
Just bitter enough but flavors of pineapple and peach linger on the tongue.
Mouthfeel is like a creamy ipa. It coats every corner of your mouth.
I see what all the hype is about.
I'm so thankful to be able to try a fresh one (canned on 11/11/13) here in Alabama

4.98/5  rDev +6.9%

Without a doubt this is my favorite beer. Although the instructions on the can say to drink from the can I have on occaision used a glass, which is my prefferred beer drinking method. When you first open one you are hit with a wonderful smell that is not matched by any other beer I have ever experienced. The flavor of this awesom double IPA is very hoppy yet slightly fruity at the same time. There is something else unique about the tast but I cannot put it into words. I guess I find it robust and strong but smooth at the same time. The limited avaiablity undoubtedly adds to the mystic of this beer. I usually only get to have some about twice a year. Whenever I drink other IPAs I always mentally compare them to Heady Topper and they alwasy fall short, even if they are very good. For me nothing tops Heady Topper!

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I suggest getting multiples to try one from the can, one in glass. Although most of everything you can say about this beer has been said, my take way is hugely balanced beer with great hops to malt balance, up front citrus fades to pine then to a roasty malt.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours a pumpkin hued orange that is very cloudy. Ecru colored head is well maintained with thick gobs of sticky lacing left with each sip. The scent is overwhelmingly hoppy and seems to span the entire hop spectrum without becoming muddled. Notes of pineapple, pine, orange citrus, pear and some background general scent of yeast. Very heady experience.

The taste is a wonderful progression and balance. This isn't a bitter IBU bomb, but a cascade of hop flavor. Nice medium bodied mouthfeel that doesn't thin out or dry out the palate. The flavor begins with the citrus hops and gives way to a more fruity impression of peach and apple. Finishes with an assertive bitterness that refrains from overpowering. Obviously the beer heavily favors hops rather than malts, but gives an impression of balance rather than being overly hop agressive.

I was wary to review this very hyped beer without careful consideration. I was lucky enough to have a case from a recent trip to Vermont to mull over the different aspects of this beer. Difficult to call any beer #1 in the world, but very appropriate to call it outstanding.

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Heady Topper

Look 9/10
Smell 20/20
Taste 39/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 19/20

Overall 97/100

My heady re-visit... Such a 'World Class' brew... Prolly the only one that I can say I'll ever go chase. Nothing about it disappoints. Even people that dislike IPA's not only enjoy this... They love it! It's such a great beer, I can't think of enough words to give it praise~

4.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A friend gave this to me out of nowhere, he said it was canned within the week.
pours an odd, murky brownish orange with lots of sediment chunks floating around and a think white head

aroma- mango, peach, pineapple, fresh grains, some rose, spicy hop zest

taste- sweet citrus hits the palate up from with tangerine and lemons, fresh tropical fruits mango/pineapple, a little hop spice with subtly sweet bready malt. Some berries in there. Finishes with a grip of pine/hop spice and a bit dry-malty

feel- medium bodied, drinkable, mild booze, delicious, juicy, zesty, dry

this is a great beer. Obviously a lot of hype, probably mostly due to its limited availability, but this is probably one of the best IPAs out there. Juicy, resinous, clean. I'm glad I got to try it!
cheers

3.32/5  rDev -28.8%

When a beer reaches the lofty heights of a Heady Topper it feels almost unfair to pen a review. After all, how could I possibly review it based solely on it's merits and deficiencies? Most everyone will either praise it's strengths whilst ignoring the faults or harp on flaws and turn a blind eye toward the many amazing things this drink does so superbly.

If I'm honest, and I'm certainly making a valiant attempt, the color is spectacular. It really is the perfect color for a double IPA. Any darker and it'd be obvious this beer would be far too sweet. Sadly though, it's just too damn cloudy. I can't express the amount of pride I feel as a homebrewer when I pour something I brewed and the body is the proper color and you can see through it like a window. This doesn't happen with this one. Great? Yes. Flawed? Well, that's a second yes.

Fortunately the nose ups the game even more. The malt is assertive, whilst the hops fight for dominance. It's nothing short of a tapestry of aromas: orange, peach, pineapple, and maybe some mango. A sip reveals some pleasant booze, while maintaining hop presence. Lots of tropical notes dance seductively alongside malty sugary caramel. The big problem arises in the finish. Where it should be bitter the sweetness slams on the gas floods the palate like an uninvited guest. After half a can or so, the sweetness becomes overpowering for me.

One of the great things about this brew is the price. The Alchemist could have taken the opportunity to charge through the nose for a beer with this reputation but it certainly is fair. I'm sure if I lived in the distribution area I'd come back to Heady Topper again since the price is very reasonable. That's despite the fact that it doesn't wow me like it does most people. Certainly worth a shot to see if it ever clicks with me.

4.56/5  rDev -2.1%

Very nice IPA. Fresh nose, with tons of citrus. The mouth feel has kind of a oil texture to it. This really is one of the best out there. I have been told that it is not as good if not fresh. I would actually like to try one a couple months old to taste the difference.

A great hop beer with a smooth finish. The best micro brew I have had yet.
Hard to get, only made in limited runs and available from local shops that limit 1 four pack per customer. So if you want to stock up be ready to travel around and visit several shops. Get there early, they sell out fast.

4.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I'll start by saying I am first and foremost a Belgian fan but wanted to try heady simply because it was number 1. Definitely one of the best IPAs I have ever had, beating out sculpin and stones enjoy by... The bitterness is non existent and you get swept by the grapefruit and pine flavors immediately. And even after settling a bit, the typical dry ipa bitterness never arrives. A must for every beer fan but with the understanding that there is a hype factor. Once again...I could think of many more Belgians I would prefer.

3.33/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Had side by side with Surly Abrasive and Pliny. By far finished last! Sorry, good for an east coast IPA, but no match for west coast. Pours a cloudy opaque orange color, odd chalky mouthfeel, and a little thick for the style. Prefer a cleaner, crisper, more bitter, hop forward IPA. I see why they want you to drink from the can, not a good looking beer at all! Taste not too far off. Not even in my top ten. Sorry.
Maybe I received an old can, would love to try again, but not gonna trade across the country for another one. No date, hard to determine freshness.

What can I say? This beer is the reason I joined BA today. Turned on by a friend, i am eager to begin trading for this and other great beers. Heady Topper embodies everything I look for in an IPA. Seriously, this beer has it all. Great aroma, piney, tropical fruit flavored goodness. There is an excellent balance to this machine. Kudos to all at The Alchemist, you have earned my business if you can ever get down to Atlanta!

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

First time having this beer thanks to a trade. Soon as i took my first sip i got a blast of hops on the tongue. Hints of pine and grapefruit come through. This is simply one of the best if not the best DIPA out there. Zombie dust is a close second for me. cheers!

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer deserves to be at the top of the charts. An incredible refreshing double IPA. As soon as you crack the can open you are delighted with a burst of great smell, taste and hops. Citrus smell and flavor comes through well. The fact it taste so good out of can gets a big thumbs up.

This is a useless review, I'm no critic but I love heady topper. Got a case the last canning day at their current location. No refined palate here, but I appreciate great beer and I consider ht a leader of the pack. I love the can, I prefer drinking out of a can across the board, and I am no stranger to Budweiser or miller lite. To me all these beers have a place, but as far as double IPA's go, this is my favorite so far.

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%

Firts time i stop at the alchemist (driving from Ottawa Canada to Cape-Cod) they were out... i was mad. On the way home...they were still out of beer. I was really mad. The free samples were nice...but its more like torture.

Then last week i manage to take a trip down Vermont, Skip the monday craziness lines.
Whent back on thuesday...waited maybe a hour in line. Now im happy :)

This is a great beer! not a big crazy hop megabomb ( i REALY like hop megabomb) but its a very very good beer. Sooo easy to drink, you just want more more and more...Now i actualy think its a good thing that its hard to find and 4 hour drive from my place coz if i ad easy access to this beer ? it could become a problem lol

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Stopped by the brewery as part of a tour around New England, having an onsite sample and picking up a case of cans.

Poured into a balloon glass (tried from can as well):

A: Orange and cloudy with a nice foamy head.

S: Intense and complex hop aroma with citrus and pine notes.

T: Hop bitterness with surprising level of sweetness.

M: Intense mouthfeel that really attacks the tongue.

Overall: Intense beer that leaves you hard pressed to have another right away. Great hop aroma and intense flavor. Worth the effort to get your hands on this beer. Amazing Double IPA.

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

OK we made the pilgrimage from the Capital District in NY to Vermont. The Alchemist will not be open to the public past 11/15/13 while they look for another place to open up. Yep it was worth the trip.
A - If you are looking for clear then look for a filtered beer. This is and was meant to be unfiltered. Nicely done
S - Pine, Grapefruit, Citrus very nice smell.
T - Again the Hops shines and the pine, grapefruit taste comes out.
M - Very nice not too much alcohol.
O - very nice almost perfection.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The OG of the DIPA world. Had 1 from the can and 1 from a glass.

Pours a murky, shiny orange color. Smells very citrusy and piney. The bitterness is extraordinary. Has a thickness to it that makes it unique but not strange. Easy drinking, making it hard not to just chug it after a long day. Lives up to the hype for sure, and would highly recommend it

Heady Topper from The Alchemist