Heady Topper | The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,336 | Ratings: 13,162
4.87/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this about a year ago, can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet. Pour is a golden, nearing straw yellow hue. Frothy tight white bubbled head, excellent lacing on the glass. With the aroma, I have no other way to explain it other than the perfect array of hops. A certain dankness in the back end, back door with a tropical sweetness of mangos, pinneapple, guava. No maltiness detected. Taste follows the nose well, with a burst of tropical resinous hops, even a funky yeast presence with a burst of piney, palate coating goodness. Pretty much the perfect IPA, nothing gimmicky or typical "NE hazy"-like. It's in its own lane, and deserves every bit of hype.

4.69/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured to a tulip glass.

A: The body just a bit hazy, not like the New Englad IPA styles, not terribly juicy but hazy enough to provide some presence in the glass. The head, when poured, had a thickness of 1 finger but after the beer settled, it got very minimal showing yet lots of retention. No lacing.
S: The aroma is more fruity than expected. There's lots of mango and pineapple instead of the regularly expected earthy and resinous aromas. This is really cool for an intro. It smells a lot better coming from the can than when poured into a glass.
T: The taste is incredibly as it has a good fruity profile of almost no citrus but lots of mango and pineapple. After the first sip you finally the earthy and resinous profiles of this beer but they're not that strong. The hoppiness is awesome.
M: The mouthfeel of this beer is actually the thing that caught my 'eye'. It's incredibly smooth, being very very velvety, having an also perfect carbonation. Bitterness is not as high as expected but this beer has at least 4 weeks. Yet, it's just perfect.
O: Overall, it's not my favorite IPA but you can feel the hype on the mouthfeel. It's easily a Top5 though.

4.76/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy orange with two fingers of white head. Big aroma of pineapple, mango, and dank floral notes. Tastes of grapefruit, sweet tropical fruits and then finishes with piney bitterness. Medium mouth with some carbonation. This is such a well-made DIPA.

4.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank from can and glass. Under week old.

Beautiful yellow hazy beer with medium foam generation for a DIPA. Smell is of pine, sap, resin and marijuana dank. Taste follows the smell but with a citrus note underlying. Aftertaste has this 'grassy/earthy' flavor at the end with nice super smooth and easy drinking finish.

Great beer. Comparing to Tree House IPAs/DIPAs, this has a much different initial taste focus (more of a North-West piney taste than typical TH citrus-tropical fruit) but the hazy look and super easy drinking finish is comparable.

Amazing Aroma. Had from Can as well as Glass. And man o Man, THis shit is bANging. Very nice lush mouthfeel, smooth drinking, and just overall balanced and well madE.

4.73/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No date of freshness on the can, approximately it was canned two month ago.
Pours yellow-orange and translucent, white sticky head, that retains well.
Smell is unreal. Powerful bouquet of tropical citrus and pine, a lot of grassy hop. Very difficult aroma.
The taste is wonderful citrus and flowery hop, hop bitterness manifested with the first sip. I would add a little sweetness.
Pleasant mouthfeel. Medium body, moderate carbonation, bitterness lingers till the finish, really drinkable.
Overall, this is a great beer, but I’m not sure that is best DIPA in the world.

4.69/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich orange with a nice white finger of foam. Smell is layers of citrus and some pine. Taste is similar. Super medium feel with just the right carbonation. Dry, somewhat bitter finish that sticks around. Like many IPAs, this one seems to change a lot depending on its age. The first time I had it it was light yellow and kind of tart. I think this one hits the sweet spot, as it's pretty amazing. As the can says, not the biggest beer, but the way it puts it all together is artful.

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

im finally in possession of one of these again. used to live off this stuff when brewery was allowing no limits. I poured this and did not drink from the can. after I let the floaties settle I notice nice hazy light orange with minimal head retention. nice fresh nose of orange rind and tangerine. taste follows nose with up front grapefruit and pineapple with some pine floating around somewhere. mouth is a little thin but does not retract from the beer. the initial taste is followed by a surprising increase in flavor that creams your palate and works all the way to the end with dry finish. this beer is phenominal and has tons of flavor from start to finish. bright citrisy notes are abundant and my mouth puckers as the beer goes down. im drinking this after doppleganger from treehouse and dopple gets the nod. heady may not be what I remember it to be but still a world class beer that is worthy of the hype.

4.87/5  rDev +4.7%

OK, while everyone else in Philly is drinking Pliny the Younger today, I decided to avoid the crowds and review this beauty. I sampled this a few weeks ago, and really wanted to NOT like this beer so much. But that is impossible. Anyone who likes beer would fall in love with this...

From the can into a tasting balloon glass. Thanks to monitorpop for this beer!

The beer is a muddy unfiltered ochre color topped by a massive off-white head that stays around for a long time and leaving its scarred lacing all over the glass. Not the prettiest of beers, but what's appearance when you taste this good right?

The aroma is just overwhelmingly filled with fresh hops. It reminds me of when I was on a tour of Victory Brewing Company, and walked into their hop cooler. It is just fresh, juicy hops in every direction. Filled with notes of fresh pine, peaches, and mango.

The flavor is of hops thrown in a blender and pureed. Mild bitterness, like a pale ale, but with more hop flavor that expected in a double IPA. Solid solid beer. Floral, citrus/tropical fruit, pine and lightly sweet malts in the background. But the hops just dominate the flavor and aroma. There is zero hint of alcohol in this beer.

The mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy in nature. Robust body, but not too heavy. This beer does an amazing job of covering up the alcohol. Only a slight bite midway through the sip indicates any abv at all.

I can't believe how tasty this IPA really is. As a DIPA, I think this does so well because the abv is not crazy high and yet it delivers just a fresh punch of hops. I would 100% purchase a case of this beer. In fact, I will probably now make that trip north this month if possible. I mean, what a fantastic beer. I wanted to hate it because no one likes the hype train, but this beer has earned its stripes in my opinion. Highly recommended...thank you again to monitorpop for the chance to review this beer!!

4.91/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the top rated beers ever and I finally go my hands on some thanks to Drizzew5! I wanted to truly see this beer so I did pour it; sorry Alchemist.

A - Beautiful vibrant apricot color (somewhere between bright yellow and orange). Extremely opaque capturing all of the light with tons of resin and dry hops. Very coarse white head and moderate lacing.

S - Great hop fragrance with a lot of everything that tropical flavored hops will give you. There is some orange, tropical fruit, pine, herbal, and maybe some light floral to bring together. Not as fragrant as Pliny but great aroma.

T - Amazingly terrific hop flavor with a full on blast of tropical fruit hop deliciousness. At first it was difficult to distinguish any particular flavors from the complete overtaking of my taste-buds but eventually the candy sweet hops yielded great peach, apricot, and pineapple tones. There is also pine and citrus that makes this one of the best tasting beers ever! The bitterness is strong but really just compliments the flavors and helps cope with the candy-like flavors. I couldn't really taste anything other than hops.

M - Medium to high mouth-feel with medium carbonation. It is thicker than some DIPAs and I really like the resiny character of this beer.

Overall, one of the best beers I've ever had. The tropical fruit flavors are just amazing and gives your mouth quite a ride. I would strongly recommend this beer if you can get it fresh! I prefer this over Pliny the elder but not over Permanent Funeral.

Glass- Imperial Nonic

4.49/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had at the Skinny Pancake at Burlington Airport

A - Hazy orange body with a thick white cap that leaves great lacing.

S - One of my favorite parts of the beer. Like smelling a hop bouquet. Sweet, floral hops and a bit of orange zest. Just a hint of sweet malt and a smooth alcohol aroma as the beer warms. Piney and citrusy at the same time. Love it

T&M - Tons and tons of hops but I would not say this is an overly bitter beer. A little less than moderate carbonation allows the beer to coat your mouth with each sip. Pine and citrus hops with a sweet malt backbone. Warming alcohol on the swallow but not overly forward; just enough to balance things out. Every time I take a sip I think of aromatic flowers.

O - Insanely drinkable for a IIPA. I had this at 12pm which is usually way too early for me but I couldn't pass it up. Still went down now and easy. The key to this beer's greatness is its balance. All the flavors and aromas meld so well together and compliment each other wonderfully.

4.43/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to kojevergas for this one!

Reviewed live directly from the 16 fl oz can:

S - Vibrant fresh fruits including pineapple, mango, orange and grapefruit. The tropical fruit notes are fantastic. Light pale malt body. Juicy. It's moderate in strength but I'm certain there'd be more if I poured it.

T - Fresh, raw floral hops notes open, followed by the juicy citrus and tropical fruits notes I'd found on the nose, though the grapefruit's the most dominate. I wish more of the pineapple was present. Woody/grassy hops on the finish provide a touch of bitterness. Caramel malts provide a sturdy backbone, but it's far from sweet. Impeccable balance, and the layering of the hops is superb. The alcohol's never present. This one's a real treat.

M - Oily. Medium bodied, crisp, and a little thick. Pretty much perfect.

D - The best IPA I've had, hands down. I could kill a few of these easily. Definitely a treat and I'm glad I was able to try it.

4.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

No Bottle date( it is two week's old, I had a buddy pick it up at the brewery in Vermont, big thanks to IPAkindaguy)
Poured into Sierra Nevada/Dogfish's IPA glass

Appearance: Pours a breathtaking hazy sunset gold with a thick, tight bubbled 2 finger white head that sticks around forever, leaving plenty of sticky lace as it recedes at a snail's pace. You can actually see raw hop particulate floating around in the glass. Awesome!

Aroma: Woah, an absolute tropical hop monster; Overt aromas of Pineapple, mango, passion fruit, lemon, grapefruit juice, light notes of pine and just a touch of catty astringency. While the hop aromatics are of some of the usual suspects, they really take on softer, yet very raw characteristics; The hops smell very potent, yet they aren't abrasive at all like a lot of imperial IPAs. There is a soft clean malt presence in the background that becomes more apparent as the beer warms.

Taste: HOP BOMB! Absolute gigantic waves of tropical goodness hits your palate right away; Juicy pineapple, grapefruit peel, resinous pine, passion fruit. There is a ubiquitous yeast presence that manifests itself in strong essence of peach; I've never picked up that note in a yeast before. The beer has a dry, assertive bitter finish that leaves raw impressions of grapefruit, pineapple, kiwi, pine needles, and a nice bready maltiness to help balance the beer on your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Very robust, oddly creamy and oily with moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: A truly mind blowing and unique IPA; Its like John Kimmich at Alchemist took the best attributes of West Coast and East Coast IPAs and combined them; Birght fruity, citrusy hops (west coast)and a sizable slightly chewy mouthfeel(East Coast) but without the super malty back bone. I've never had a beer that really harnessed raw hop character as well as this beer. Smelling this beer is really like sticking your head inside a dry hop bag after home brewing. Alchemist's house yeast "Conan", really shines with it's peach forward esters. Truly magical stuff. While I don't prefer this beer over Pliny(mainly because Pliny is just so damn balanced, crisp and refreshing), this still is a beer every Hop Head should experience. Plus it's in a can! Highly, highly recommended.

A: i poured about 1/3rd of the can into a snifter glass (despite the recomendation to drink from the can) to see the beer I'm drinking (you have to!). It poured with a half finger of bright white head that quickly fell leaving a dusting of tiny bubbles gracefully on the top and a slightly thicker edge around the glass. The beer was a murkey, cloudy pale orange to dark yellow color. Holding it to the light there was a soft glow around the edge, but the center was as dark and murkey as it was without a back light.

S: Tropical explosion of strong lasting grapefruit, lingering strawberry, subtlely disapating caty pine and fresh squeezed orange. Peaking through the complex yet distinct hop aromas is a breadyness that comes out as it warms up. Fruity yeast that intertwines with the tropical fruit hops and a tad bit of alcohol.

T: Complex hop flavors from begining to end. The same tropical fruit and pine flavors detected in the aroma comethrough on the first sip. The bittering lingers on the pallet with a more pine and bread flavor than was detected in the middle. The bittering is high on the radar but it almost seems less than other DIPAs because of the sheer flavors comeing at you from all angles.

M: A sticky icky tounge feel as it washes over the tounge. A nice dry finish but the malt flavor is still detectable. Low to moderate carbonation dialed in perfect to emphasis the hops in just the right spots.

O: A fully complex hop-afire explosion in your mouth. I will seek more and share with others as much as possible so they can enjoy this as much as I did. Thanks to Ataraxia for his amazing generosity. CHEERS!

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks goes to nathanjohnson for the chance to try this beer.

A: I'm drinking this from the can as recommended, but I did drink one last night from my Duvel tulip. Hazy orange in color with lots of floaties from the dry hopping, I guess. Finger or two of white head. Decent amount of lacing and fairly thick film.

S: Big hop smell as you'd expect. Weird to say, but this just smells bitter and juicy at the same time. I get mostly grapefruit and orange citrus with lots of pine and some tropical smells that I have trouble picking apart. Despite all of the hops, the malts are still present..caramel or crystal..maybe both. I don't know. Good stuff either way.

T: Heady Topper is awfully bitter, but the malts do an admirable job of balancing things out and reigning in the hops. Citrus, pine and tropical flavors are all here and enjoyable...pine seems to win out towards the end leaving a resinous aftertaste. Also, when the beer warms, there's a peach like flavor that I like a lot.

M: Can a beer be both creamy and chewy? That doesn't make sense to me, but this seems to have both qualities. Bitter and sticky.

O: I'll be perfectly honest, when I first drank this last night, I was a little let down. Not that I thought it was a bad beer by any means, but it just didn't wow me the way I thought it would. With that said, I'm really liking it tonight.

I'm not sure if drinking it from the can really makes that big of difference or maybe I was just suffering from seasonal depression last night. At any rate, this is a top notch IPA that's certainly worth seeking out and that I'm glad I got the chance to try. Thanks again Nate.

4.86/5  rDev +4.5%

Drinking directly from the can as instructed.

A: I poured this once and remember it being really cloudy and not very pretty. It says drink it out of the can so I am doing it, therefore I can't see the beer. The can is beautiful though.

S: Smells of citrus and fruit initially and finishes with a pine bite.

T: A great piney flavor at first, followed by an amazing assortment of tropical fruits.

M: Good even carbonation that helps aid in the piney bite you taste.

O: Currently ranked the #1 beer in the world and I can not disagree. There are a few beers that I would consider perfect, and this is one of those. Perfect example of a delicious DIPA.

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a nice dark copper/orange with a thin fizzy head. Nice ring of lacing leaves blotchy chunks on the glass.

Smells great. Dominated by big booming aroma of pine. A little earthy with citrus coming through.

Tastes even more amazing. Once again the earthy pine flavors are up front. The citrus gives it a little sweetness. Nice bitter snap at the end.

What I really like about this beer is that the body is just right. Its pretty light focusing mostly on the hops. It's quite easy to drink due to the lightness of the body. You could drink a bunch of these and not feel full or have your mouth all tied up by stickiness.

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Sharing a bottle of this with mymrnngjckt. Really looking forward to this...

Appearance: Poured from the bottle, this beer is a cloudy, amber color with a good inch + worth of bone white head. Lacing is impressive, too. The beer had a viscous look to it while it was being poured, this is gonna be good.

Smell: Unbelievable! Huge hops, plenty of ripe grapefruit and pine. Really fresh smelling too.

Taste: Awesome doesn't begin to describe how good this beer tastes. The grapefruit and pine blend together very nicely, and the bitterness hangs around just long enough to savor before it finishes clean.

Mouthfeel: Full body, great carbonation, and an almost syrupy kind of feel to it. Fantastic!

Drinkability: The best DIPA I've ever had. I cannot recommend this beer enough.

4.59/5  rDev -1.3%

132nd Review
Can to snifter (and mouth)

From notes. I've enjoyed this several times, but this review comes from notes from bspringer's birthday celebration. An epic night to celebrate his golden day of birth!

A: Dark tan. Single (frothy white) fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Oh so good! Pine, earthy hops, citrus fruit, and nice malt character.

T: Sweet malt up front to very earthy and aromatic hops. Complex citrus fruit, pine, and oak. Very nice. Quite sweet, but not too sweet.

M: Medium bodied/carbonation.

O: Thick and coating. Delicious! Just a really nice DIPA that everyone should try. I love that it is in a can. Highly recommend drinking it from that if you can - simply heavenly!

4.82/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Orange colored pour into snifter with off white head leaving moderate lacing.
S: Tremendous nose with citrus, floral and hop aromas dominating.
T: Grapefruit flavors hit the palate first and malt backbone with a hoppy clean crisp dry finish.
M: Medium flavored with active carbonation. chewy with significant sediment including hop resins that were simply remarkable.
O: Unbelievably drinkable beer that was an experience, not simply a beer. I truly enjoyed Heady Topper.

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

No date on the can, drank the first half from the can, poured second half into a snifter.

A: Drank the first half from the can like they recommend, the can is a sight for sore eyes but hard to judge a beer's appearance on that. When poured into a snifter....my god what a sloppy looking beer. Solids all over the place. Color of orange juice with tons of floaters. Didn't want to dock the beer too much, but honestly it's not an appealing looking beer.

S: Holy shit, its literally like smelling a bag of hops. I opened a bag of hops next to it to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. It's a hop bomb, like no other beer I have ever smelled in my life. When poured into a snifter, the aroma gets more floral and closer to other DIPAs on the market. In the can though, wow. Citrus and pine, along with some sweet tropical fruits, but they're all sitting backseat on Mr. toad's wild ride to the hops. Bam! Hops in your face.

T: A bitter assault on your palate. This beer is a palate wrecker like I've never seen. Bitter hop finish, pine crisp bite, along with some sweet fruit to help round it out.

M: Had side by side with a 2 day old Pliny. Made Pliny seem thin and watery by comparison. Thick, full bodied with a long lingering bitter finish that changes with the amount of breathes after a sip.

O: This beer lived up to the hype in that it blew my mind. It reminded me of the first time I had a sip of beer when I was about 10 yrs old, except that I liked it. As an avid IPA fan, I've been around the block the a few times and this was like the first time I had an IPA. Literally have tasted nothing like it before. However, my goodness, this beer made me full and bloated. Anything but drinkable. I got through the can just fine, but I did not want another. Also, the appearance of the beer in my glass is one of the worst I have seen. Even a shaken up belgium beer isn't this bad. Not sure if that's necessary to achieve the hop profile or not, but seems a bit sloppy to me. Def worth checking out and a fantastic world class brew, one like I have never experienced before. Big thanks to SanFranJake for hooking me up with 4 cans.

4.89/5  rDev +5.2%

Reviewed from a pair of fresh 2 day old cans. One was poured into a Duvel tulip, and one drank straight from the can for comparison.

Appearance: Full can takes up the majority of the glass, with the last couple of inches providing a nice creamy white head to the top of the glass. Color of beer is a pretty honey orange amber color with very little light coming through.

Smell: Perfect. Pine, grapefruit, and other hints of citrus mingle with a touch of sweet malt smell. It really doesn't get any better than this. If you visit the cannery there is a potent hop smell in the air, and it smells exactly like the inside of a can of HT.

Taste: About like it smells. Perfectly balanced - it's full of citrus and pine hops up front, with a nice bitterness on the finish. The malt gives it a very slight caramel flavor to keep this beer from being an abrasive over the top hop bomb. Alcohol is simply nowhere to be found - incredibly masked for an 8% beer.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full bodied for a DIPA, very creamy and smooth. Carb was a bit on the low side but perfect for the beer.

Drinkability: Extremely high. Aside from the extreme hops, you wouldn't really know this is a DIPA. Alcohol is nonexistent, and I can't really disagree with the brewer in the hypothetical shotgunning ability of HT. :)

Overall: I've now had this guy on draft, in the can, and out of the can. Any way you take it, it's an amazing beer. I do feel that straight from the can had a bit more hoppy flavor, but pouring it gives you the killer nose plus the ability to see the beer. Net-net I'll probably go with what I'm feeling at the time.

4.82/5  rDev +3.7%

Big shout out to SilentJay for picking me up a case of this when he was up in VT this weekend and meeting me when I flew into Boston/NH for a few weeks. A mystery box will be coming his way soon. Should have been a batch within a week, two max.

A: Following the directions of the can, I drank it straight from the can versus pouring. Perhaps my next will be into a glass.

S: Even from the small opening of the can, quite the aroma. Plenty of citrus & tropical fruits and hops.

T: This is without a doubt the most well balanced DIPA I've had. Finally a benchmark has been set for what they should taste like. The hops and tropical fruits meld together perfectly without a harsh after-taste.

M: Pretty light bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

O: I was wondering if this would live up to the hype and it certainly did. It is certainly the best DIPA I've tasted. Not even because of the flavors but just because how well balanced everything was. I'll be interested to see the difference in a few weeks from the fresh one I have right now. The only disappointment is after this is gone, I won't be getting any for quite awhile.

This beer is a perfect example of an east coast DIPA. So incredibly smooth yet the amazing hop bitterness is still there. The smell is that of citrus goodness and the carbonation is spot on perfect.

4.9/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

G_d bless the alchemist.
Appears as a golden haze with a foamy white head.
Dank hops on the nose upon opening the can.
Taste of sweet malt and dank hops. No funky yeast. Yeah.
Heavy mouthfeel. Overall, bring it baby.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist