Heady Topper | The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,294 | Ratings: 12,885

Purchased and consumed many times over the past couple of years. I typically ignore the can and drink from a tall glass.

If fresh, it pours out a hazy lemonade yellow with a thick foamy head that slowly dissipates and leaves a bit of lace.

Smell is heavy with citrus and a touch of tropical fruit and dank.

Taste varies a little by batch but is typically a grapefruit bomb, with some cannabis, and finishing with a perfect balance of soft bitterness.

Mouth feel is just right - medium body, clean and refreshing.

Overall, this is the ultimate Vermont style IPA - as good as it gets. I wish I could brew it.

3.35/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Straight up hops mishmash, not much more going on - certainly not what I would call a balanced brew. Artificial rarity factor keeps prices high. I've had plenty of DIPA"s that I liked better than this one. Not to say it's not good, but the price is insane. Aroma: hops, hops and more hops. Taste: Hops, hops and more hops.

I don't get the whole drink out of the can thing, 80% of our taste comes from aroma which you don't get from drinking out of the can. Gimmicky at best - the 100 rating baffles me.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought from a Charity Auction with the proceeds going to "Open the Taps": A grassroots organization of Texas craft beer consumers.

Even though the can says to drink out of the can, which I did with the first can, I poured this one into a duvel tulip glass so that I can see what it looks like. Now I know why they want you to drink it out of the can . . . it is a murky nasty yellow. It's just not an appealing looking beer. With that, it does pour out with a good three finger white head with good retention and great lacing.

The scent is amazing. I have a bad nose and often can get any scent off a beer. After pouring I set this glass down next to the computer, walked away, and then when I came back I could smell the aroma of green hops. If my nose can catch a scent without putting my nose in the glass, it gets a 5.

If we're grading this off the style . . . then I have to say this, I don't know if this is an true Double / Imperial IPA. I would expect the best of the style would have to be a well put together hop bomb. This isn't a hop bomb by any measure . . . but it IS well put together. There is the hop punch, but it's well balanced by orange flavor and pine. The bitterness finishes the flavors very well.

The mouthfeel is well carbonated. I would have to say I'd like the body to be just a tad heavier. There is a noticeable alcohol burn for only 8%.

Overall, this was well worth the extra money I spent for three reasons: this is a high quality brew, the rarity of it in Texas, and for the GREAT things orgainizations like Open the Taps has done for Texas Craft Beer Consumers during this Legislature session. PROSIT, Ya'll!!!

4.21/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a murky, pale, wheat golden color with a cottony, stubborn white head. Flecks of barley and vegetable matter float all around the beer. Juicy grapefruit with some pine on the nose. ONce the beer settles, sweeter fruit breaks through. Grapefruit up front then grass and pine emerge. But, the flavor suddenly falls of a cliff for an abrupt finish. Alcohol and unami get picked up right away and pervade throughout. The mouthfeel is a little thin for the style. It dries a little toward the finish. Pretty big disappointment. Pliny, Abrasive, Sucks, all way superior in my opinion.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

Received in trade w/ a VT BA (Cheers!)
Poured from fresh 16oz can recently purchased at the brewery.

A: STRONG piney aroma, supported by black tea leaf, and a light honey note. Simple, yet delicious aroma profile.

A: Clover honey-colored body with a decent haze and some floaties. 1 finger head with that fluorescent yellow tinge that I've come to recognize in an IIPA. Head is not quite as thick as anticipated, but then again, I should be drinking this from the can... The brew leaves decent lacing after each sip.

F: Pine up front, some nice, not overpowering, bitterness. Honey-graham sweetness to balance. Some delicious green tea on the finish. DELICIOUS!!!

M: Medium-full body with medium carbonation. Right where it should be. Some sticky tannins cling to the inside of my mouth and lips.

O: I want more of this one! I can't think of an IIPA I've had that was better than this. A great mix of aromas and flavors. Everything just seems to work well together! Highly recommended! (On a side note, I drank my second HT straight from the can, and actually enjoyed it even more this way. Contrary to what you might think, if you get your hands on this beer, you should try it from the can.

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Not a big IPA fan in general but a friend happened to bring some to a party. Very citrusy aroma. For taste the bitterness was not overpowering which I expected (not being an experienced IPA DIPA drinker) . I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed the pine and citrus together. I will begin to try more IPAs because of this but from the few I've had, this is easily the best tasting and most enjoyable.

4.81/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Followed the instructions given…drank from the can and recycled.

A: I will update the appearance upon my next review (edit of). I plan on pouring my next one in a glass.

S: Had a very strong hoppy, citrusy, tropical-fruity smell up front. Also got some sweet(ness) notes intermingled in there as well.

T: Starts with citrus, moves to sweetness, then a light bitterness which gives way to more of a mild-to-medium level of bitterness. Left a nice balance of piney sweetness in mouth (aftertaste).

M: Had a light-to-medium body and a low level of carbonation.

O: Fantastically balanced. Not sure that I have tasted the level of complexity that this one offers between the smell and taste (from initial to aftertaste).

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy orange with two fingers of white head. Big aroma of pineapple, mango, and dank floral notes. Tastes of grapefruit, sweet tropical fruits and then finishes with piney bitterness. Medium mouth with some carbonation. This is such a well-made DIPA.

Amazing Aroma. Had from Can as well as Glass. And man o Man, THis shit is bANging. Very nice lush mouthfeel, smooth drinking, and just overall balanced and well madE.

4.87/5  rDev +4.5%

OK, while everyone else in Philly is drinking Pliny the Younger today, I decided to avoid the crowds and review this beauty. I sampled this a few weeks ago, and really wanted to NOT like this beer so much. But that is impossible. Anyone who likes beer would fall in love with this...

From the can into a tasting balloon glass. Thanks to monitorpop for this beer!

The beer is a muddy unfiltered ochre color topped by a massive off-white head that stays around for a long time and leaving its scarred lacing all over the glass. Not the prettiest of beers, but what's appearance when you taste this good right?

The aroma is just overwhelmingly filled with fresh hops. It reminds me of when I was on a tour of Victory Brewing Company, and walked into their hop cooler. It is just fresh, juicy hops in every direction. Filled with notes of fresh pine, peaches, and mango.

The flavor is of hops thrown in a blender and pureed. Mild bitterness, like a pale ale, but with more hop flavor that expected in a double IPA. Solid solid beer. Floral, citrus/tropical fruit, pine and lightly sweet malts in the background. But the hops just dominate the flavor and aroma. There is zero hint of alcohol in this beer.

The mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy in nature. Robust body, but not too heavy. This beer does an amazing job of covering up the alcohol. Only a slight bite midway through the sip indicates any abv at all.

I can't believe how tasty this IPA really is. As a DIPA, I think this does so well because the abv is not crazy high and yet it delivers just a fresh punch of hops. I would 100% purchase a case of this beer. In fact, I will probably now make that trip north this month if possible. I mean, what a fantastic beer. I wanted to hate it because no one likes the hype train, but this beer has earned its stripes in my opinion. Highly recommended...thank you again to monitorpop for the chance to review this beer!!

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the top rated beers ever and I finally go my hands on some thanks to Drizzew5! I wanted to truly see this beer so I did pour it; sorry Alchemist.

A - Beautiful vibrant apricot color (somewhere between bright yellow and orange). Extremely opaque capturing all of the light with tons of resin and dry hops. Very coarse white head and moderate lacing.

S - Great hop fragrance with a lot of everything that tropical flavored hops will give you. There is some orange, tropical fruit, pine, herbal, and maybe some light floral to bring together. Not as fragrant as Pliny but great aroma.

T - Amazingly terrific hop flavor with a full on blast of tropical fruit hop deliciousness. At first it was difficult to distinguish any particular flavors from the complete overtaking of my taste-buds but eventually the candy sweet hops yielded great peach, apricot, and pineapple tones. There is also pine and citrus that makes this one of the best tasting beers ever! The bitterness is strong but really just compliments the flavors and helps cope with the candy-like flavors. I couldn't really taste anything other than hops.

M - Medium to high mouth-feel with medium carbonation. It is thicker than some DIPAs and I really like the resiny character of this beer.

Overall, one of the best beers I've ever had. The tropical fruit flavors are just amazing and gives your mouth quite a ride. I would strongly recommend this beer if you can get it fresh! I prefer this over Pliny the elder but not over Permanent Funeral.

Glass- Imperial Nonic

4.55/5  rDev -2.4%

First beer I had in my trip to Vermont. From very recent notes.

A: Looks like every other DIPA I had. Hazy yellow/orange with a strong pure white head. Strong lacing and retention.

S: I still can smell it. It is very sweet, juicy and home made pink lemonade-ish. In the sense it smells like a sweet red grapefruit, some notes of lemon rind, orange juice and peach. Some hops dry-ness in the shape of lemon rind.

T: It's just like the smell. First, you get the grapefruit and the hop punch (citrus peel, grass), then you get the sweetness with the orange juice, peach and very ripe pineapple. And a taste that lingers on and on and on. Actually a bit sweeter than expected.

M: Medium body with a light amount of stickiness.

D: This is extremely drinkable and is a summer beer. You can down this one very easily. The sweetness helps to balance the hops punch in the long run, but this is still sweeter than what I prefer.

This IS an amazing beer, but, to me, this is not my favourite beer in the world. But, I do see how it must pleases highly to everybody and makes it so everyone gives it a really high score. Still, it feels slightly over rated, very slightly, but this is an amazing brew.

4.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had at the Skinny Pancake at Burlington Airport

A - Hazy orange body with a thick white cap that leaves great lacing.

S - One of my favorite parts of the beer. Like smelling a hop bouquet. Sweet, floral hops and a bit of orange zest. Just a hint of sweet malt and a smooth alcohol aroma as the beer warms. Piney and citrusy at the same time. Love it

T&M - Tons and tons of hops but I would not say this is an overly bitter beer. A little less than moderate carbonation allows the beer to coat your mouth with each sip. Pine and citrus hops with a sweet malt backbone. Warming alcohol on the swallow but not overly forward; just enough to balance things out. Every time I take a sip I think of aromatic flowers.

O - Insanely drinkable for a IIPA. I had this at 12pm which is usually way too early for me but I couldn't pass it up. Still went down now and easy. The key to this beer's greatness is its balance. All the flavors and aromas meld so well together and compliment each other wonderfully.

4.43/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to kojevergas for this one!

Reviewed live directly from the 16 fl oz can:

S - Vibrant fresh fruits including pineapple, mango, orange and grapefruit. The tropical fruit notes are fantastic. Light pale malt body. Juicy. It's moderate in strength but I'm certain there'd be more if I poured it.

T - Fresh, raw floral hops notes open, followed by the juicy citrus and tropical fruits notes I'd found on the nose, though the grapefruit's the most dominate. I wish more of the pineapple was present. Woody/grassy hops on the finish provide a touch of bitterness. Caramel malts provide a sturdy backbone, but it's far from sweet. Impeccable balance, and the layering of the hops is superb. The alcohol's never present. This one's a real treat.

M - Oily. Medium bodied, crisp, and a little thick. Pretty much perfect.

D - The best IPA I've had, hands down. I could kill a few of these easily. Definitely a treat and I'm glad I was able to try it.

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

No Bottle date( it is two week's old, I had a buddy pick it up at the brewery in Vermont, big thanks to IPAkindaguy)
Poured into Sierra Nevada/Dogfish's IPA glass

Appearance: Pours a breathtaking hazy sunset gold with a thick, tight bubbled 2 finger white head that sticks around forever, leaving plenty of sticky lace as it recedes at a snail's pace. You can actually see raw hop particulate floating around in the glass. Awesome!

Aroma: Woah, an absolute tropical hop monster; Overt aromas of Pineapple, mango, passion fruit, lemon, grapefruit juice, light notes of pine and just a touch of catty astringency. While the hop aromatics are of some of the usual suspects, they really take on softer, yet very raw characteristics; The hops smell very potent, yet they aren't abrasive at all like a lot of imperial IPAs. There is a soft clean malt presence in the background that becomes more apparent as the beer warms.

Taste: HOP BOMB! Absolute gigantic waves of tropical goodness hits your palate right away; Juicy pineapple, grapefruit peel, resinous pine, passion fruit. There is a ubiquitous yeast presence that manifests itself in strong essence of peach; I've never picked up that note in a yeast before. The beer has a dry, assertive bitter finish that leaves raw impressions of grapefruit, pineapple, kiwi, pine needles, and a nice bready maltiness to help balance the beer on your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Very robust, oddly creamy and oily with moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: A truly mind blowing and unique IPA; Its like John Kimmich at Alchemist took the best attributes of West Coast and East Coast IPAs and combined them; Birght fruity, citrusy hops (west coast)and a sizable slightly chewy mouthfeel(East Coast) but without the super malty back bone. I've never had a beer that really harnessed raw hop character as well as this beer. Smelling this beer is really like sticking your head inside a dry hop bag after home brewing. Alchemist's house yeast "Conan", really shines with it's peach forward esters. Truly magical stuff. While I don't prefer this beer over Pliny(mainly because Pliny is just so damn balanced, crisp and refreshing), this still is a beer every Hop Head should experience. Plus it's in a can! Highly, highly recommended.

A: i poured about 1/3rd of the can into a snifter glass (despite the recomendation to drink from the can) to see the beer I'm drinking (you have to!). It poured with a half finger of bright white head that quickly fell leaving a dusting of tiny bubbles gracefully on the top and a slightly thicker edge around the glass. The beer was a murkey, cloudy pale orange to dark yellow color. Holding it to the light there was a soft glow around the edge, but the center was as dark and murkey as it was without a back light.

S: Tropical explosion of strong lasting grapefruit, lingering strawberry, subtlely disapating caty pine and fresh squeezed orange. Peaking through the complex yet distinct hop aromas is a breadyness that comes out as it warms up. Fruity yeast that intertwines with the tropical fruit hops and a tad bit of alcohol.

T: Complex hop flavors from begining to end. The same tropical fruit and pine flavors detected in the aroma comethrough on the first sip. The bittering lingers on the pallet with a more pine and bread flavor than was detected in the middle. The bittering is high on the radar but it almost seems less than other DIPAs because of the sheer flavors comeing at you from all angles.

M: A sticky icky tounge feel as it washes over the tounge. A nice dry finish but the malt flavor is still detectable. Low to moderate carbonation dialed in perfect to emphasis the hops in just the right spots.

O: A fully complex hop-afire explosion in your mouth. I will seek more and share with others as much as possible so they can enjoy this as much as I did. Thanks to Ataraxia for his amazing generosity. CHEERS!

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks goes to nathanjohnson for the chance to try this beer.

A: I'm drinking this from the can as recommended, but I did drink one last night from my Duvel tulip. Hazy orange in color with lots of floaties from the dry hopping, I guess. Finger or two of white head. Decent amount of lacing and fairly thick film.

S: Big hop smell as you'd expect. Weird to say, but this just smells bitter and juicy at the same time. I get mostly grapefruit and orange citrus with lots of pine and some tropical smells that I have trouble picking apart. Despite all of the hops, the malts are still present..caramel or crystal..maybe both. I don't know. Good stuff either way.

T: Heady Topper is awfully bitter, but the malts do an admirable job of balancing things out and reigning in the hops. Citrus, pine and tropical flavors are all here and enjoyable...pine seems to win out towards the end leaving a resinous aftertaste. Also, when the beer warms, there's a peach like flavor that I like a lot.

M: Can a beer be both creamy and chewy? That doesn't make sense to me, but this seems to have both qualities. Bitter and sticky.

O: I'll be perfectly honest, when I first drank this last night, I was a little let down. Not that I thought it was a bad beer by any means, but it just didn't wow me the way I thought it would. With that said, I'm really liking it tonight.

I'm not sure if drinking it from the can really makes that big of difference or maybe I was just suffering from seasonal depression last night. At any rate, this is a top notch IPA that's certainly worth seeking out and that I'm glad I got the chance to try. Thanks again Nate.

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%

Drinking directly from the can as instructed.

A: I poured this once and remember it being really cloudy and not very pretty. It says drink it out of the can so I am doing it, therefore I can't see the beer. The can is beautiful though.

S: Smells of citrus and fruit initially and finishes with a pine bite.

T: A great piney flavor at first, followed by an amazing assortment of tropical fruits.

M: Good even carbonation that helps aid in the piney bite you taste.

O: Currently ranked the #1 beer in the world and I can not disagree. There are a few beers that I would consider perfect, and this is one of those. Perfect example of a delicious DIPA.

Straw colored DIPA, with great head. The beer is incredible, so aromatic and floral. The hop profile is incredible but the beer is also very well balanced.

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

A - okay, so from the can I'd give this a 5, the can is cool as hell. Also if I was thinking about the dank, pure, no censorship nature of this beer I'd give it a 5 too. But for fairness sake, it is a murky yellow/gold color with a nice white head that sticks and leaves decent lacing. If any other beer looked like this id knock it for the look but this one it's just so fitting.
S - huuuuge juicy orange juice, papaya, mango, overly ripe fruits, grapefruit, dank ganja, the garlic/onion is in there in a good way. It smells like ripe fruit juice.
T - dankapotomous rex. Ganja and so juicy, orange, mango, papaya, pineapple, melon, overly ripe fruits, grapefruit. Then there's garlic onion that balances it out in a good way. So resinous...
S - medium bodied, so juicy, alcohol completely covered, aftertaste is bitter orange peel, mango, papaya
O - this beer has officially destroyed my ability to drink other ipas. It's beautiful, like a sunset on a southern California beach, only its from the exact opposite end of the country. Absolutely amazing stuff.

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a nice dark copper/orange with a thin fizzy head. Nice ring of lacing leaves blotchy chunks on the glass.

Smells great. Dominated by big booming aroma of pine. A little earthy with citrus coming through.

Tastes even more amazing. Once again the earthy pine flavors are up front. The citrus gives it a little sweetness. Nice bitter snap at the end.

What I really like about this beer is that the body is just right. Its pretty light focusing mostly on the hops. It's quite easy to drink due to the lightness of the body. You could drink a bunch of these and not feel full or have your mouth all tied up by stickiness.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Sharing a bottle of this with mymrnngjckt. Really looking forward to this...

Appearance: Poured from the bottle, this beer is a cloudy, amber color with a good inch + worth of bone white head. Lacing is impressive, too. The beer had a viscous look to it while it was being poured, this is gonna be good.

Smell: Unbelievable! Huge hops, plenty of ripe grapefruit and pine. Really fresh smelling too.

Taste: Awesome doesn't begin to describe how good this beer tastes. The grapefruit and pine blend together very nicely, and the bitterness hangs around just long enough to savor before it finishes clean.

Mouthfeel: Full body, great carbonation, and an almost syrupy kind of feel to it. Fantastic!

Drinkability: The best DIPA I've ever had. I cannot recommend this beer enough.

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%

132nd Review
Can to snifter (and mouth)

From notes. I've enjoyed this several times, but this review comes from notes from bspringer's birthday celebration. An epic night to celebrate his golden day of birth!

A: Dark tan. Single (frothy white) fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Oh so good! Pine, earthy hops, citrus fruit, and nice malt character.

T: Sweet malt up front to very earthy and aromatic hops. Complex citrus fruit, pine, and oak. Very nice. Quite sweet, but not too sweet.

M: Medium bodied/carbonation.

O: Thick and coating. Delicious! Just a really nice DIPA that everyone should try. I love that it is in a can. Highly recommend drinking it from that if you can - simply heavenly!

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Orange colored pour into snifter with off white head leaving moderate lacing.
S: Tremendous nose with citrus, floral and hop aromas dominating.
T: Grapefruit flavors hit the palate first and malt backbone with a hoppy clean crisp dry finish.
M: Medium flavored with active carbonation. chewy with significant sediment including hop resins that were simply remarkable.
O: Unbelievably drinkable beer that was an experience, not simply a beer. I truly enjoyed Heady Topper.

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%

No date on the can, drank the first half from the can, poured second half into a snifter.

A: Drank the first half from the can like they recommend, the can is a sight for sore eyes but hard to judge a beer's appearance on that. When poured into a snifter....my god what a sloppy looking beer. Solids all over the place. Color of orange juice with tons of floaters. Didn't want to dock the beer too much, but honestly it's not an appealing looking beer.

S: Holy shit, its literally like smelling a bag of hops. I opened a bag of hops next to it to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. It's a hop bomb, like no other beer I have ever smelled in my life. When poured into a snifter, the aroma gets more floral and closer to other DIPAs on the market. In the can though, wow. Citrus and pine, along with some sweet tropical fruits, but they're all sitting backseat on Mr. toad's wild ride to the hops. Bam! Hops in your face.

T: A bitter assault on your palate. This beer is a palate wrecker like I've never seen. Bitter hop finish, pine crisp bite, along with some sweet fruit to help round it out.

M: Had side by side with a 2 day old Pliny. Made Pliny seem thin and watery by comparison. Thick, full bodied with a long lingering bitter finish that changes with the amount of breathes after a sip.

O: This beer lived up to the hype in that it blew my mind. It reminded me of the first time I had a sip of beer when I was about 10 yrs old, except that I liked it. As an avid IPA fan, I've been around the block the a few times and this was like the first time I had an IPA. Literally have tasted nothing like it before. However, my goodness, this beer made me full and bloated. Anything but drinkable. I got through the can just fine, but I did not want another. Also, the appearance of the beer in my glass is one of the worst I have seen. Even a shaken up belgium beer isn't this bad. Not sure if that's necessary to achieve the hop profile or not, but seems a bit sloppy to me. Def worth checking out and a fantastic world class brew, one like I have never experienced before. Big thanks to SanFranJake for hooking me up with 4 cans.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist