Heady Topper | The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,242 | Ratings: 12,622
4.83/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Two-finger white head, leaves nice lacing, fairly resilient. Almost a neon yellow-orange pour, settling into the thickest, most opaque IPA I've ever seen.*

S - Huge nose of bright citrus, possibly some tropical. Mandarin oranges, slightly sour, but very sweet. Slight toast? Absolutely incredible aroma.

T - Sweet, sweet citrus. No hint of the sourness from the nose. The intense hoppy bitterness is smoothly encompassed in the flavor itself. Malts are a definite back seat. From the can, it's even sweeter, with light tangerine and floral flavors, and a bit of a bready malt backbone. Also more of a dry hop flavor, but it's not unpleasant.

M - Medium-light and creamy, with a slight astringent dryness at the edges of the mouth. Slightly oily and coating. No stinging, minimum foaming.

O - Considering this is one of the most hyped beers in existence, it did not disappoint. Absolutely lovely beer. It's intensely sweet, and the massive amount of hops never come across as overkill or unpleasant.

*I drank half from a glass for evaluation, half from the can. I had no legendary floaties, and honestly, this beer looked damn good in the glass. 5.0 might seem high, but it's a balance between what is legitimately a great looking beer, and drinking it from the can.

Special thanks to JayORear for this gift!

3.51/5  rDev -24.7%

Appearance: (4.0) Poured from a can into a pint glass. Hazy, straw yellow color, with a one inch head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: (3.0) Hoppy and fragrant, though not floral.

Taste: (3.5) Hoppy flavor that is pervasive though-out the flavor profile. Not as well balanced between malty and hoppy as I have come to expect from DIPA’s, but still a fresh, citrus flavor that is easily drinkable, not even seeming like a “sipping” beer even though it has high alcohol.

Mouthfeel: (4.5) Nice medium body with good medium carbonation. Very easy to drink in that sense.

Overall: (3.5) Good beer. Seems more like an IPA than a DIPA, but maybe that is a bonus, more alcohol with the IPA flavor. Regardless, very smooth and drinkable with a long lingering hop flavor on the back of the tongue.

3.99/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Got in a trade thanks to Circlenine, cheers!

Poured into Tulilp (had one from the can the other day, looking to compare). Bunch of sediment, two or three fingers of white head, decent retention.

Smell is pure hoppieness. More on the fruity citrus side.

Taste is smooth, almost closer to sweet than bitter.

Viscous and fruity, very balanced, very drinkable.

Very good IPA.

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

No real appearance, since I took the suggestion and drank directly from the can. However, I popped the top, and it immediately smelled like I was in the middle of Shenandoah Valley. One of my favorite places to go hiking/camping with my dad. Heady is clean, slightly piney, sweetly floral, and rather bright in aroma. The taste is really light for the 8% ABV. A great hop presence on the tongue, and sweet/bitter combination from the malt/hops. Surprisingly, the piney-ness of the hops isn’t bothering me. I typically don’t like that in my IPAs, and tend to stick towards brighter/more tropical offerings. Short duration on the tongue, which is making me drink this beer faster than I normally would have. My first HT thanks to a trade from lhteacher

4.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Had on-tap and in can numerous times during East Coast trip in May/June. This review is for the canned version.

Pours a light apricot, downright turbid, with a healthy near-white head that abates lazily until a raised curtain and lattice remains.

Tropical assault of pine-lime, guava, orange-mango and tangerine held together by a crisp backbone of light and biscuity malts.

Hops are initially so intense I struggle to identify a dominant flavour - just big, green, dank hoppiness. Gradually the palate adjusts and the full array of fruit-salady tropical notes opens up. Hop profile is still predominantly tropical fruits but a good dose of grapefruit joins in.

Palpably chewy and oily but without any hint of heaviness, thanks to silky carbonation which very effectively distributes it across the palate. Finishes with a robust, green, resinous kick.

Brilliantly constructed from the ground up. Probably the best IPA I've ever had, and I've had a few. "Party in your mouth" seems a pretty apt term for this beer.

3.92/5  rDev -15.9%

Review 17JUL13
Once again. Here we go. Canned 08JUL13
Looks ugly as ever, but at this point I respect that in it's merit 4. Nice nose with some fruits, resin and lots of herbals 3.75. Flavor is certainly very hoppy without being bitter as fuck, multilayered with the fruits and herbals 4. Medium on heavy with moderately hi carb and an off dry finish 3.75. I think this beer is excellent, but I'm not quite sold on the overall exquisite rating it gets here so regularly. I predict this will fall like Pliney in the next few years as the hype dies down (slowly due to distro). 4

Review 05FEB12
Thanks Keith!
3/3.5/4/3/3.5 - 3.53
Pours a cloudy apricot with some off-white foam formation. This falls to a broken sheet of the same. (3) Smells of fruits, resin, pineapple. The nose is a little bit raw and harsh, but not bad. (3.5) The flavor is really nice with a sweetness that is collaborative with the bitterness. There are flavors of resin, pine, mango. Decent enough. (4) Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style with moderate carb and a dry finish. A little too dry of a finish. (3). This beer is not nearly as wonderful as it was the first time I tried it, maybe it's the fact that I've had it multiple times, or that I'm now immune to it's glory, but it is a far cry from the initial tastes I had. Maybe it's the new brewery, whatever the case is, I will likely not be seeking this out again any time soon. too bad. (3.5)

Review: 21SEP11
Dave, you did this. Thanks man.
Can date: not listed, but I know it to be recent.
A: Pours a hazy apricot ale with no domineering head formation, but a night sheet of honey cream foam. Spotty lace.
S: Oh yeah, pine, resin, citrus, pineapple, tropical fruits with a touch of feline urine. Very complex and the underbelly is a sweet malt foundation.
T: Plenty more of what happened in my olfactory: sweetened honey, aggressively bitter with many, many differing fruits on the palate. There are some wood tones as well. This is complex and refreshing.
M: Medium bodied with moderate on hi carb with a semi dry finish.
O: Well, I can see what all the hulla balloo is all about. This beer is hardcore hops and proves its value in my mouth. There have been some discussions about the comparison between pliny and this beer. Simply put, they cannot be compared, they are both outstanding beers with unique and ingenious characteristics which shine to each's own. Simply put: drink this beer, it will make you happy. 4/4.5/4.5/4/4.5 (~4.5)

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%

First of all thank you to Tammy in Barre, Vermont for saving my homie that was in Massachusetts 4 packs of this special brew. If you're reading this [ever] you've got a place to drink here in Texas.

As the can clearly instructs, " Drink from the can", so I did. I tell you it came on strong hitting me with an explosion of hops, however the part that really did it for me was lightening quick way almost like a magic trick the way it disappeared. On mouthfeel and aftertaste alone I'd give this Alchemist production a perfect grade!

Hard not to be swayed by perfect scores and its all time ranking, but one additional bonus I'd give the Heady is its availability. I realize it's not available nationwide but the fact that's its so readily available in Vermont, that combined with how small the northeast is, he'll my friend said it was the easiest prettiest 2 hour one way drive he's ever made. Unlike PtY or PtE which are retry difficult to find, PtY being impossible aside from 2 weeks, Heady can be found. I give it a 99 just because only the Westy 12 i can so far consider perfect, but let me assure you this is a mere technicality, get your hands on it you won't be disappointed

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

I had this recently out of two cans, unfortunately one was absolutely flat with no carbonation. The beer in general has a lovely little bubbled good amount of carbonation. It is actually one of the highlights of this mindblowing beer.

Poured part of it into a glass as it comes in a super hazy unfiltered orange/gold, maybe a grapefruit reddish too. It's super hazy.

The aroma has a huge brilliant aroma. The best I've smelled from a beer. Pineapple, tropical fruits, mango, grapefruit papaya, almost like a fruit juice, but also this sticky candy sweetness and pine and resinous aroma. Apricot really does stand out from the Conan yeast. It's gooey, huge sweetness. It's so darn juicy, no Double IPA has pushed towards how good the aroma is in this. There also an almost vegetable aroma. Chivey, leafy green, spicy pepper. It's very "fresh."

For some reason, out of the can, the aroma is so much more piney. I guess it's the residue left in the can, but it's almost like air freshener.

Your initial hit on your tongue is just a bouquet of fruits and freshness. It's just shocking how much hop and fruity flavors this IPA packs. You get smooth grapefruit, peach, pine bitterness.

It is so smooth after that hit, but then after that, there's a bitter aftertaste that stays in your mouth. It has just huge strong bitterness that is very dry and astringent. It's of grapefruit pith with that deep bitterness. But it's interesting that the beer itself isn't bitter, it just grabs onto your tongue as the beer finishes. It's a late hit.

The mouthfeel is where this beer stands out. It's almost like an IPA was mixed with unfiltered fruit juice. There is a round mouthfeel that never cuts thin like other Double IPAs.

It is the best IPA/double IPA I've ever had. What stands out is the perfection of hop bomb/drinkability that this beer has. It pushes towards what a hop head wants, but just completes it with this perfect mouthfeel. No Double IPAs will be able to complete with this complete roundness of mouthfeel and flavor, at least so far. It just gives you more wow-ness and complexity that you cannot match it.

(I'm literally having Double Trouble right now, which is a world class beer, and I'm just sitting here disappointed and picking apart how good Heady Topper is compared to it.)

Re-review: Testing this beer 8 weeks old, as Kimmich says the beer holds up as long as it's fridged. Beer changes to a bit more orange than straw yellow. Tastes exactly the same.
Testing it between can and glass, I prefer the glass. The glass lets the carbonation roll around your tongue to outer mouth, which gives it more fruit flavor and creamy mouthfeel.

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

Drank this out of the can as the can directs the drink er to do.

It didnt have an appearance as i didnt see it, excellent beer that is dangerous. The 4 pack was gone in an hour. The bitter grapefruit taste makes Heady spectacular. Like stated before, dnagerously easy to drink.

4.69/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

What else can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said? Very few beers actually live up to the hype - Heady Topper does. Im not one to stand in line for hours to get a case of beer but the stores around here serve me well enough. One of the finest beers in the world with out a doubt.

11/04/13 update: Enjoying a can that is 17 days old right now, and I have to say, its better than a day-of freshie. The flavors seem to have blended a bit and it is FANTASTIC.

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16 oz. can gifted from a friend, unclear bottling date but about three weeks old (one week old when gifted at NHC2013), poured into my FFF Teku glass, drank 7/14/13 over an hour.

A: 3/3 - golden-orange coloration, minimal clarity (can both see or read through), off-white head dissipates into a one finger head that persisted throughout drinking, moderate alcohol legs for an imperial IPA

S: 11/12 - as expected, huge hop aroma right up front: grapefruit, orange/tangerine and lots and lots of pine....some alcohol and malt notes are also present but the hops are front and center; I detracted one point because I recall even more intensity of prior consumption

T: 19/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's a dank bitterness (that I suspect is from an ample amount of CTZ and/or Simcoe), in the middle of the mouth, the remaining hop qualities really kick in (from Centennial, I guess)...big time grapefuit and other citrus fruits; the alcohol is present in the taste with some minor malt characters to hint at balancing

M: 5/5 - full-bodied with thick hop oils coating the tongue, 8% is present but not overbearing (more like a single IPA at times); high carbonation for style/ABV and moderate alcohol legs

O: 9/10 - one of the best imperial IPAs and lives up to the hype; this is a Centennial, CTZ and Simcoe bomb that, with PtE, set the standard for an American DIPA, in my eyes; however, I think that certain other more recent examples may have overtaken it - Surly's Abrasive, Founder's Double Trouble and DC Brau On the Wings of Armageddon

TOTAL = 47/50

I am giving this review for both the can and on tap. I was able to go through Waterbury for a vacation through Vermont.

On a side note if you have a chance to take a trip up through Vermont do it beautiful country fantastic people.

So I picked up a case of Heady, it's cold cant wait to try it, 2 hours later I have to wait while it chills when we arrive at our destination.

Everything about this beer is awesome.

A - 5
S - 5
T - 5
M - 5
O - 5

Well worth the trip.

If you wish a great beer trip check out Waterbury. A lot going on their as well !!

I just came back from a 3 day mini vacation from Vermont, I talked my wife into going to see this "beautiful state" we dragged our 16 year old boy with us, after 1 day in Vermont it was pretty obvious why we were there in the summer.... dad's lust for the "Holy Grail " The Alchemist brewery and heady topper.. We stayed at Green mountain inn ( very nice ) and did enjoy the mountain views at smugglers notch, anyway Heady topper was everything I hoped it would be. I was at the hotel's pub when I got my long awaited first can, my wife and son were looking at me like I was nuts, I cracked open the brew and low and behold it was liquid gold. Sorry for the not very scientific review, but it's that good!!

4.41/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

had this tonight for the first time . poured from can at a beer tasting at http://goo.gl/P2J7P .(good time,) one of the 3 best beers i have ever had . very floral aroma. nice bite. clear. clean. hoppy. favorable comparison to Stone Ruination IPA . this is my first review . i felt compelled to write it.

i will look for this

4.1/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from can
L - orange, white foamy head
S - light floral and citrus, sweet smelling
T - surprisingly malty and sweet, plenty of hops
F - medium body, clean finish, minimal bitterness

3.83/5  rDev -17.8%

Got these via a trade with someone from New Hampshire so I'm not sure how fresh they are. I believe he bought them before he shipped them to me. My first impression was not that great for an IPA. It initially tasted just liked steeped hops. Almost like someone just made tea with a bag of hops. Maybe I was drinking it too cold. My second and third cans seemed much better. Maybe I just had to appreciate it more. I still think there are other better DIPA's out there in my opinion. If you love hops then this is the beer for you as it is all hops and nothing else.

A: i poured about 1/3rd of the can into a snifter glass (despite the recomendation to drink from the can) to see the beer I'm drinking (you have to!). It poured with a half finger of bright white head that quickly fell leaving a dusting of tiny bubbles gracefully on the top and a slightly thicker edge around the glass. The beer was a murkey, cloudy pale orange to dark yellow color. Holding it to the light there was a soft glow around the edge, but the center was as dark and murkey as it was without a back light.

S: Tropical explosion of strong lasting grapefruit, lingering strawberry, subtlely disapating caty pine and fresh squeezed orange. Peaking through the complex yet distinct hop aromas is a breadyness that comes out as it warms up. Fruity yeast that intertwines with the tropical fruit hops and a tad bit of alcohol.

T: Complex hop flavors from begining to end. The same tropical fruit and pine flavors detected in the aroma comethrough on the first sip. The bittering lingers on the pallet with a more pine and bread flavor than was detected in the middle. The bittering is high on the radar but it almost seems less than other DIPAs because of the sheer flavors comeing at you from all angles.

M: A sticky icky tounge feel as it washes over the tounge. A nice dry finish but the malt flavor is still detectable. Low to moderate carbonation dialed in perfect to emphasis the hops in just the right spots.

O: A fully complex hop-afire explosion in your mouth. I will seek more and share with others as much as possible so they can enjoy this as much as I did. Thanks to Ataraxia for his amazing generosity. CHEERS!

4.81/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

You simply cannot beat this beer. It looks very cool in the silver can, it tastes amazing, hoppy with low bitterness, it smells gloriously fresh and somewhat citrusy. Smooth. One of the best IPA's I've ever had. It's quite delicious. At first I thought it was over ratted by the time I finished my can, I was converted.

4.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured with a good bit of head, definitely looks like there is some wheat malt in there. Beer itself is almost an orange color and is completely opaque. If I were to look at this without knowing what it was I would guess it was a hefeweizen. This isn't even a weakish opaqueness, this beer is opaque right up to the edge of the glass!

The nose here is a bit more subdued than I had expected. I get some mild citrus notes and just a hint of bitter hop funk, not much else going on than that.

This beer has a very strong malt backbone (it is an 8% abv afterall, that alcohol has to come from somewhere!) but is well balanced with citrusy hop bitterness. Definitely not the most grapefruity beer I have ever had (that would be MBC Lunch) but its quite good. The hop bitterness really lingers on the palate and is quite pleasant. The aftertaste is the most bitter bit.

The moutfeel here is great. Very smooth, fills the palate, its just wonderful.

This is a great beer, its not my favorite IPA, but it sure is close. Additionally, for the price, this beer is tough to beat. Very tasty IPA with lots of bitterness and moderate citrus. Definite buy if I can get my VT cousin to bring me back more.

3.48/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a two-finger slightly-yellowed clingy head over a cloudy and particulated puke-tan liquid. Smells of green onion and wild garlic (Summit hops) with pine and sharp grapefruit pith. Baby aspirin and lemony tropical fruits. Comes across as a blast of very fresh Summit hops.

Tastes sharp bitter with flat oily bitter to complement. Nice malt sweet that blends with the green onion flavor. Juicy hops. Tin, no esters, but nice barley grain flavor. Acidic sour from the hops almost comes across as lactic. Finishes with baby aspirin (Simcoe hops) and a very resiny pine aftertaste. Very grassy rich in cohumulone. Too strong of carbonation. Carb and clean alcohol sting lift the beer from the tongue early. Creamy body is interrupted by rough hops and clean alcohol sting.

A decent beer, but would be *much* better with different hops. I find Summit hops sickening and can't wait for the trend to pass on by. Big disappointment. Judged to style, so scored higher than my palette would offer. The can says "drink from the can!" It was not as good from a can as from a glass.

4.55/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Drank from the can, very nice artwork!

S: Sticky resin. not a hop bomb but layers and layers of sticky hops. lots of grass and citrus.

T:Bursting with citrus, citrus and bitterness stick around the whole way through.

M: Great body for an 8% abv beer. well carbonated and highly drinkable..

O: A great DIPA. I can see where all the hype comes from, definitely an easy drinking, tasty beer.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

A- poured only half into a glass to experience different flavors from can and glass. golden/orange in color very cloudy, unfiltered. Thick Fluffy white head.
S- A blast of citrus hops, a lot of grapefruit, resin/piney hop notes coming from the can.
T- more of the same from the nose citrus/tropical fruits like orange, pineapple, mango, lemons, and resinous hops.
M- medium body and carbonation. This is very juicy upfront then a slight dryness on the finish. Hops linger on the palate.
O- This beer is close to perfect, tons of flavor that hides the alcohol and it is super drinkable for a DIPA. I prefer it straight from the can.

4.28/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Drove through Waterbury and stopped in. Monday at Noon there was a line out the door to get cases. Tried the beer first while in line. It was good, but nowhere near as dramatic as I was hoping for (Lawson's Double Sunshine has ruined me). Wife gave the green light for 2 cases, but after tasting opted for 1. Opened the first one later in the evening when home. This is the review.

A- Very light for an IPA. Very little if any crystal in this beer. Cloudy.

S- The overall smell can best be described as this--take a bag of Trolli Peachi-o's Candy, hold the bag about 4 inches from your nose and sniff. Its peachy, but not like natural peaches (I grew up in a family of peach farmers). Its almost like a candied peach (thanks in part to the Conan yeast) with maybe a touch of a green herbal quality (which is very faint). Perhaps a little citrus coming through? Peach is dominant note with a little bit of other subtle smells mixed in.

T- And the peachiness continues. Peachi-o candy, natural peach pit, some pineapple juice laced with a little bit of bitter orange marmalade. Alcohol is not really pronounced. Bitterness was pretty balanced for an IPA (if this is possible) and grassy notes are restrained. Flavor was good and unique.

M- Its crisp, and light for an IPA. I rather like it. Not syrupy or viscous.

O- I like it. Is it the greatest IPA ever? Maybe its the hype, but I don't think so. Its a great beer and worthy of an A/A+ rating, but I still think beers like Double Sunshine, Maharaja, and Pliny are more memorable. I will enjoy and share this case with friends.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have one person to thank for this mrKennedy what a brilliant unexpected bday present you are the man and I know they say drink out the can but this definitely deserves a glass and pours a cloudy pineapple juice hue with a fluffy cloud like three finger head and lacing everywhere looks so inviting,the smell is pineapples,piney hops,tangerines,grapefruit and a tonne of Valencia oranges,the mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated and medium bodied with tastes of pineapples,mangoes,grapefruit,tangerines and finished with a soft citrus bittersweetness and overall what a sublime AIPA it's right up there with the best I've tried and just wish this and the rest of their range was available here cheers.

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

I am a stout lover at heart. I have never taken to the hop head beers out there... well that was until I got my first taste of Heady Topper. It is absolutely deserving of the number one beer on beeradvocate.

Hazy yellow appearance when poured into glass.. of course they tell you right on the can to drink it out of the can but I wanted to see the beer.

Smell is GLORIOUS!! Pine, grapefruit, citrus... Just gorgeous. I could smell it all day.

Drinks so smoothly considering the high IBUs. Has a great malt backbone that offsets the hop punch. The hops never seem to overwhelm your palate. They push your senses just to the edge and then back off due to the malt.

I love this beer. I am making a pilgrimage to Vermont later in the summer and I hope I luck into a couple cases. It is truly one of the best brews I have ever had.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist