Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Heady Topper | The Alchemist

YOUR RATING = None |
Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,229 | Ratings: 12,548
4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

16oz can - Started drinking right from the can and then poured into an oversized stemmed tulip.

A: Orange color with medium haze. Solid finger of white head on top. Quite a bit of spotty lacing.

S: Tons of citrus and sweet-smelling tropical fruit. Such a nice mixture of hop aromas. Couldn’t be more inviting.

T: First few sips from the can were very flavorful, but I preferred drinking it from a glass. Mostly citrus (grapefruit) and tropical fruit (mango). Some residual sweetness and finishing with a nice bitterness, but not too strong. The bitterness does linger on your tongue for a while. Just awesome.

M: Starts sweet and then finishes dry and biting. Hop oils coat your mouth. Medium carb.

O: To be honest, I didn’t want to bother with this review. Just wanted to drink the beer. I was afraid that I wasn’t going to love this, but no worries....it’s delicious.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

I've had this beer out of the can and now straight from the can. Less than 2 week old can.

The beer is slightly hazy when compared to other world class DIPAs as noted by it being unfiltered with a foamy white head.

The beer explodes out of the can. So much citrus and pine in every drink. Effortlessly drinkable with no sign of the 8% alcohol. Juicy but balanced with the piney bitterness. Full flavor while completely chilled as well, which can be rare for some heavily hopped beers.

Simply put, this is the best DIPA out there. Do what you have to do to get some if you haven't had it, and if you have had it I'm sure you're acquiring trade bait to get more. Find a trade partner in Vermont because this stuff is unmatched.

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

pint can half poured into sam adams perfect glass and half in can.
cant believe i finally get to try this. only about 4 weeks old too.

Tons of sediment when poured. no shit, with the amount of hops in this im sure their filter room is working overtime.

SIck aroma. crazy hop flavor. literally tastes like the hop storage room at the brewery i work at smells like. great mouthfeel, feels like such a light beer. almost a different experience drinking straight from the can. same mouthfeel but a bigger hop blast. this beer is obviously insanely hyped and for good reason. i could drink a case. even at 8% it feels like a sessionable ipa

4.18/5  rDev -10.3%

the look outside of the can is super hazy....but what do you expect with this many hops! the foamy light head persisted till the end of the glass.
the smell is citrus and a strange musty aroma.
the taste is not that bitter at all....it's like super hop orange juice that is very drinkable. it keeps you coming back. very easy to drink given the abv level and hop usage. very glad I got to try this and will drink it out of the can next time to see if there is any difference given there recommendation.

4.2/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 1 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

i searched low and high for this bad boy. i listened to the directions and drank straight from the can. no idea how old it was when i got it. IPA's are my go to all the time, and this thing is awesome. i will say not worth the $15 a can ive seen charged for it, but i'd drop an easy $8 on it.

4.51/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had a real hard time getting this beer. A friend hooked me up with 1 can from his 4 pack.
My expectations were really high to finally try this. Split it with my brother who was also trying it for the first time.

Poured into a pint glass out of can.

Grapfruit and citrus hop aroma jumped out of the glass which was awesome.

Taste followed the nose extremly hop forward, which was to be expected. Citrus notes stood out the most to me. Hard time tasting the malt. Very fresh with extremly long aftertaste.

Overall, I was not that impressed, maybe because my expectaions were too high. Still a great beer, especially if you love this style. Need to try directly from can.

For what it is worth my brother absolutly loved it.
---
Edit: Tried a second time from the can.
THis time I purchased straight from the brewery so the freshness was insured.

This beer is very good, I think having it in a glass and getting it third hand had effected it the first time.

It is easy drinking for such a hoppy beer, I would almost call it juicy. Really kicks ass.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm so glad that angrybabboon could provide me plenty of these for the coming weeks. I've already had this once, but I'm reviewing it today 15 days since canning day - about the widely considered perfect time to drink this. For this review, I got a bit experimental. I love how this is in the can, but I poured it alongside in a glass and reviewed both side by side - half in the glass, with the other half in the can. Poured into a teku glass.

A:
Can: Has a silver label with a fun, delightful illustration showing what could be the brewmaster himself demonstrating the wonderful hoppy things to come. Not having this in the glass is the only downside of drinking this out of the can, but I can live with that.
Glass: Pours a sunset orange amber complete with a frothy as hell, bubbly head. I left the sediment in the can, so it looks slightly hazy with a good deal of floaties. Patches of carbonation streak the glass's edges, as does lacing. Head eventually vanishes, with very frothy bubbles remaining at the sides. Slightly hazy without the extra gunk. Looks very pretty and rustic, and very much near perfect in its presentation as a full-bodied, rich DIPA.

S:
Can: Huge, earthy, hoppy citrus rind zest immediately captivates my nose, with slight tropical fruits to boot. Guava, papaya, oranges, limes, lemons, hop vine mineral-y characteristics, as well as a pungent, floral finish. This has everything you'd expect in the style, only incredibly well spread out and balanced. No metallic aftertaste from the can. Yeasty phenols are all out here, in in a way that's delightfully funky yet sharp and robust. Cannot smell any alcohol, although there is a slight sweetness underneath. No malts or grains here - the hops are completely victorious. Absolutely unlike any DIPA I've ever had.
Glass: It's incredible how much this loses a lot of the hoppy, resinous profile when poured in the glass. While there's still a strong, sharp flavor of well dried citrus notes, and maybe some apricot and grassiness, a lot of the tropical flavors are pretty much gone, and the malty flavor is far more present, in a classic East Coast, caramel/toffee profile. Slightly funky and rustic for sure, but a lot of that initial earthy flavor has definitely been lost.

T:
Can: I think the first time I ever took a sip of HT straight out of the can, my head exploded. This is unbelievably good and lives up to every bit of hype. Right at the front of the tongue there's a juicy, creamy, completely refreshing cascade of hoppy and fruity flavors, ranging from oranges to lemons to mangoes to papaya and pineapple in a way that seems to last forever. TONS of grapefruit. However, rather than feel sweet and overwhelming, these fruity phenols are immediately followed by a pungent, dank, earthy flavor in the sense that takes you to the core of the hop aromas in a fresh, lively, and robust manner. Some slight butterscotch, maybe even toffee aromas follow, but the hops do their job and finish in a ridiculously astringent manner to the point of nearly tying up the tongue in knots, only to release and reveal the smoothened creaminess from the well carbonated feel of the beer, thickness of the malts and oils, and well accentuated alcohol bite that goes down well and warms up the throat in the long run. Thick, hearty, juicy, and pretty much fabulous. It's not balanced, but it's flawless as far as great drinking experiences go. Never thought I'd ever say it, but here we are.
Glass: Out of the glass, it's delicious as well, although you get far less of those earthy flavors, as expected. The only difference otherwise is it feeling a little bit more balanced and allowing the malty syrupy feel to meld with the remaining hop oils, which still gives it the impression of being a full-bodied and well integrated beer. Less tropical notes too, although there's a delightful grassy flavor that sticks around and combines very well with the citrus. Definitely more mellow than out of the can, but still world class.

It's clear that the full experience of this beer lies in the can, and it's definitely how I'll be drinking my Heady Toppers from now on, regardless of how pretty it looks to me. This is really an experience unlike any other, and while it remains an world class beer in the glass... Out of the can, it's utterly mind blowing with all of its flavor, earthy nuances, and scarily drinkable qualities. Do seek it out. It's simultaneously glorious and humble. It's super flavorful but never overwhelming. It's designed for anyone to enjoy of any background, if they enjoy a good beer. Absolutely brilliant.

UPDATE (1/6/2014): I pitted this against some other DIPAs of similar nature (no Pliny), and this was the loser overall. All were about 2 months old. This is really good, but best consumed fresh - it becomes more piney and funky over time, and loses a lot of its fresh squeezed juicy flavors that I enjoy in the style. Worth seeking out, but make sure you know the date!

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

My homeboy Javier at Vendome Wine and Spirits in Placentia had a can of this. He knows to go to the backroom where he keeps all his exclusive collection when I arrive. He brought a can of this out and I asked him what he would trade for it. He said he would take $4. What a steal! I shared it with my other homeboys at Art and Craft Brews (and homegirls). They all got excited when I showed up with it. You should have seen their eyes open up and mouth the words Oh My God! So here is my review, trying my very best not to be biased since I'm west coast and the west is the best...
It poured out a bit murky- I expected it to have been filtered, but the color was a nice golden orange. The aroma was a prelude to nice balance. Exactly what is to be expected from an exquisite IPA- rich pine, citrus and apricot all in a perfect blend- and in that order! The taste was very smooth. I only had two gulps so I had to make them count! Like I said the aromas were a prelude to the taste and it tasted very predictable (which is good) and inviting. The rich flavor profile and dynamic masks the alcohol which is very nice too. I just wish it was filtered to get a more acute, pure flavor without the murk masking anything. The aluminum in the can added to the brightness of flavor. Very close to Pliny the Younger, which nobody could help but compare it to. What makes this slightly inferior was that it is nearly 4% less ABV than Younger and not as smooth. So there. Can't wait for another can! The hunt is on.

Having had this beer on multiple occasions...I can not say enough about Heady Topper. When compared to the other top DIPA's I've had there is a few traits that set this beer apart from the rest. The main two are its balance and drink-ability. It is an unrelenting wave of hops across the palate yet still has you coming back for more.

A - Appearance on this beer is perfect. Hazy, unfiltered, and loaded with yeast. While some may count such characteristics against the beer I prefer unfiltered beer. Makes the beer feel less refined and more what it truly is, just a beer.

S - The smell you pick up as you crack a can is an assault of grapefruit on your nose. It never truly fades and if drunk from the can the aroma lingers for days after consumption.

T - Grapefruit and pine, a mixture of citrus and hop bitterness that bombards your tongue with flavor but never goes overboard.

M - I chill my cans to ice cold before drinking and I like to let it warm as I drink it, the mouth feel from a heavily chilled can comes off as crisp and refreshing and it thins as it warms with a growing bitterness.

Overall - While I can understand why some people do not regard Heady Topper to be the best beer in the world or even the best double IPA, I personally enjoy Heady Topper in any and all situations. I give this beer a perfect score because no matter my mood, location, or food pairing I can always enjoy a can of HT. John Kimmich is also a super friendly hands on brewer who truly cares about the beer he brings to market.

4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

This is one well hyped beer. Usually that would make for some disappointment, however this one lives up to the hype... Almost. I had a friend from NH ship out a 4 pack about six months ago, of which I distributed 3 and drank one. I have just had a case shipped out, and am enjoying the rare nice weather here with this beer.

Great complete hoppy nose, like the best imperial/double IPA's the hops fill the full spectrum of smell and flavor. I disagree with keeping it in the can. I think it is better served in a chalice where you can appreciate the plethora of smells.

In my opinion, the Northeast style of DPA is too malty. This one is more malty than Pliny, but not too much and is still about right to balance the bitterness of the hops.

The single most unique characteristic of this beer is the drinkabililty. Despite the strong flavors, after you are finished, you want more. It should be leaving a strong aftertaste, but it doesn't. In that respect it is a 5/5.

4.26/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Oh man look out for the hype train!!! ;)

So you're supposed to drink this from the can, but I wanted to try some from a glass too so I poured a little out.

This pours a very hazy golden orange with a finger of off-white head.

The aroma is very floral, there is some pine, grapefruit and some citrus as well. Not really any malt that I can detect.

The taste is very hop forward with a good amount of floral, pine, grapefruit and orange right up front. There are some sweeter tropical fruit notes like peach and mango too. There is a bit of caramel malt, but not too much and to just add some balance to the beer.

The body is medium and the mouthfeel is crisp and clean, but leaves some hop residue on the tongue. The alcohol is extremely well hidden and it's very, very easy to drink.

You definitely wanna drink this from the can because it really does enhance the hop flavors compared to pouring it in a glass. This is a great DIPA, but certainly not my favorite. It has very nice flavors, but I prefer a more intense DIPA and more tropical, juicy fruit notes too. Definitely worth trying, but nowhere near perfect in my eyes.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from the can itself, but served a portion of it unto a 3 ounce snifter for appearance purposes.

Appearance: From the small portion served in the glass it's a semi-cloudy gold with a thin white head rising to 1/3" settling quick without touching the glass.

Smell: heavy citrus skin, strong wet hops. I admit it disappears quick but it's super unique.

Taste: Strong bitterness, hardcore citrus does it live up to the hype...really depends on your palates. If you life floral this brew delivers. On top even more grapefruit, coming off a hint sweet.

Mouth: Heavy carbonation, with bubbly texture all over. Best move on this take your time, letting it sit in the can still after minutes upon minutes carbonation still there with a heavy floral finish. A rarity, a beer when served unto the glass; it actually loses property...I compared this to the small portion I had sitting here in the glass and the glass was much "flatter". Doesnt hurt for you to try the same method.

Overall: Awesome...is it my favorite ipa? Definitely not but probably maybe my top 10 but considering what I want in DIPAs. Thank you to Tap and Barrell here in Smithtown for carrying this gem. Salud!

Poured into glass despite what the can said, super hazy with lots of bits and what looks like hop bits floating around in a bright orange glow. Sticky bright white head. Tons of resinous hops on the nose. Grapefruit pine citrus and floral.

A wonderful delivery of hop flavor. Not overbearing, but full of flavor, balance is beautiful. Flavor is like the nose, malt bill extremely well hidden and really showcases the hops.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Canned May 1, reviewed May 4. Poured into HF stemware and also had a few straight from the can. From notes. Minor updates from mid-November. Minor updates added in November.

A - Nice cloudy burnt orange colour. Three finger white pillowy head. Good carbonation, good spotty lace with lot's of rings and a full finger of retention.

S - Great juicy hops. Pine, orange, mango. Boozy pineapple. Hops, hops, hops. Lot's of hop oils, trees. Smells outdoorsy. Mango and pineapple juice.

T - Orange, tons of citrus, pine, hop juice. Really delicious stuff. Tons of tropical sorta fruits. Sweet fruits. Dank hop juice is something I kept saying.

M - Good carbonation, medium body, strong bitterness with lot's of citrus. Goes down insanely easy, especially from the can.

O/D - A great DIPA. Worthy of the hype IMO. I dunno if it's the best out there at the moment, but hell, it's good. No hint of alcohol, and a beast of a hop monster. Insanely drinkable. If I could have one IPA for the rest of my life, it would be this. Supreme drinkability.

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Cans received from a fellow BA bud 5/4/13. Believed to be within a couple weeks of being canned.

Poured into pint glass.

Pours a gorgeous golden orange with a lot of floaties. Smell is BIG on grapefruit/citrus/pine, lots of good stuff going here. Taste is dead on with the aroma, with more pine/resiny flavors coming through. There's almost too many wonderful flavors to mention, but everything is balanced and so well crafted.

This is one amazing brew. One of the rare "white whales" that certainly lives up to the hype. I always look forward to these in my mailbox!

4.6/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A-Drank from the can per Alchemist's suggestion, but I'm sure it looks fine.
S-Hops, hops, hops are booming out of the can, which give it an aroma of citrus or grapefruit.
T-Beautifully bitter like unrequited first love, but with a fruity sweetness that keeps you coming back for more.
M-Feels like a very hoppy double IPA and you can taste it afterwards too.
O-Very glad that I can find this locally every week.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

16oz Tall Boy purchased from the cannery hours earlier. Consumed from the can. Appearance is a murky dishwater color with sediment. Aroma is uber hoppy. Big grapefruit with sweet citrus and tropical fruits. Outstanding. Taste mirrors the aroma. Lots of hoppy goodness. Plenty of grapefruit along with citrus peel and hints of pine towards the end. Tropical notes as well. Pineapple. Dry, oily mouthfeel. Bitter and delicious. Highly drinkable. Amazing brew. Overall, hype warranted.

Note: Appearance rated from a separate time where I poured it into a glass.

4.87/5  rDev +4.5%

I was able to have this on-tap at the brewery when I went to pick-up some cases, and have had a couple directly from the can as well as in a snifter.

A - Very cloudy orange haze with a head that lingers (when poured). I know people knock it for the appearance but I actually find it pretty appealing.

S - Incredibly aromatic (especially from the can). Strong scents of citrus (particularly grapefruit) and fresh hops.

T - I love the balance. There is a strong hop profile but it's not over the top. The citrus scents follow through on the taste as well. The finish is dry with a surprising bitterness.

M - Very well carbonated that makes it incredibly easy to keep drinking.

O - It's amazing how well-balanced this DIPA really is and definitely deserving of the hype. However, I'm not sure if it is the best beer in the world (even in my limited experience, PtY holds that spot for me). Having said that, I will definitely be enjoying the cans I have left and mourn them when they are gone.

Long awaited, and well worth the wait! A friend brought me back a can from a trip to Vermont...a very good friend indeed!

Drank 1/3 or so in a tulip glass, the rest from the can.

Poured into the tulip, there's a nice golden, straw color, that pours a rich and frothy two-finger head that takes a bit of time to settle down; lacing is very nice. Smells immediately of citrus, and a hell of a lot of hops. The taste...yum! The hops are even more pronounced, but not in an overwhelming fashion. They certainly linger on the tongue, but it's evenly balanced enough to not become tart or bitter. Maybe grapefruit, very light floral and spice notes that provide a nice balance to the hop-fest that is this Double IPA. Also getting a bit of passion fruit and tropical fruit notes. Mouthfeel is great, solid carbonation and doesn't attack one particular part of the palate.

If you're lucky enough to find one, it's well worth a taste!

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is simply a great beer.
It didn't feel like 8.00% and as a person that doesnt care for needlessly high ABV I love it.
The aroma on this beer is by far the best part. It smells of grass and happiness. Its white head is thick enough for a mustache. But feels light. You could sip or slop this beer and both would taste great. Although it isnt as complexe as I had thought for a Rate 1 beer it is, by all accounts, excellent.

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

No Bottle date( it is two week's old, I had a buddy pick it up at the brewery in Vermont, big thanks to IPAkindaguy)
Poured into Sierra Nevada/Dogfish's IPA glass

Appearance: Pours a breathtaking hazy sunset gold with a thick, tight bubbled 2 finger white head that sticks around forever, leaving plenty of sticky lace as it recedes at a snail's pace. You can actually see raw hop particulate floating around in the glass. Awesome!

Aroma: Woah, an absolute tropical hop monster; Overt aromas of Pineapple, mango, passion fruit, lemon, grapefruit juice, light notes of pine and just a touch of catty astringency. While the hop aromatics are of some of the usual suspects, they really take on softer, yet very raw characteristics; The hops smell very potent, yet they aren't abrasive at all like a lot of imperial IPAs. There is a soft clean malt presence in the background that becomes more apparent as the beer warms.

Taste: HOP BOMB! Absolute gigantic waves of tropical goodness hits your palate right away; Juicy pineapple, grapefruit peel, resinous pine, passion fruit. There is a ubiquitous yeast presence that manifests itself in strong essence of peach; I've never picked up that note in a yeast before. The beer has a dry, assertive bitter finish that leaves raw impressions of grapefruit, pineapple, kiwi, pine needles, and a nice bready maltiness to help balance the beer on your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Very robust, oddly creamy and oily with moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: A truly mind blowing and unique IPA; Its like John Kimmich at Alchemist took the best attributes of West Coast and East Coast IPAs and combined them; Birght fruity, citrusy hops (west coast)and a sizable slightly chewy mouthfeel(East Coast) but without the super malty back bone. I've never had a beer that really harnessed raw hop character as well as this beer. Smelling this beer is really like sticking your head inside a dry hop bag after home brewing. Alchemist's house yeast "Conan", really shines with it's peach forward esters. Truly magical stuff. While I don't prefer this beer over Pliny(mainly because Pliny is just so damn balanced, crisp and refreshing), this still is a beer every Hop Head should experience. Plus it's in a can! Highly, highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a rich orange color, with a nice inch thick white head. Tons of sediment floating in the glass. Gives the appearance that they're suspended in a jello mold. Not the most appetizing start.

S: A tropical paradise. Loads of mango and pineapple right off the bat, with a faint piney aroma in the background. Very sweet smell.

T: A nice bitter hop bite on the initial sip. Nice juicy sweetness follows, with mango being the most noticeable fruit flavor. Really nice balance between the sweetness and bitterness.

M: Rich, creamy, full bodied DIPA. Carbonation is very subtle. Much thicker than you'd expect. Almost chewy. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering.

O: Extremely tasty, flavorful brew. Doesn't jump out as the "best beer in the world" to me however, as the ratings show. Very good, but visually unappealing, and heavier than I'd prefer, but that's just nitpicking

4.84/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Doing this from memory so my rating counts. Haven't had this in a year. But from what I remember the smell when you open the can is heavenly. Tropical fruit and pine. The taste is a mix of citrus fruits and peaches with a nice resiny pine bitterness. I'm a huge fan of both the fruitiness and pine mix so this is perfect for me. Fresh Heady is great but it gets better if you wait a month or so to consume.

4.51/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Against the demands written on the can I poured it into two wine glasses and shared with Steve 28/4/13

A golden orange with a shitload of sediment but not many visible bubbles but a two finger head that hangs out long enough to leave a couple partial ring of lace

S tropical notes of mango, sweet orange, pineapple, grapefruit, and tangerine, lots of pine with just a little caramel giving some balance even though its pretty lopsided, some Flintstone vitamins as it warms, smells great

T even more pine and more rind then the fresh flesh I was smelling, other then that it mimics the smell and that's a good thing for sure

M has a nice weight to it, big bitter snap, a little grit left behind on the gums and a very strong and long finish of rind and pine

O gone in seconds, very drinkable, a great example of the style from start to finish, I want more

one of those beers where even your burps taste good after drinking it, I don't know if its the best in the World but its one of the best DIPA's I've encountered in recent memory and would go far out of my way to acquire more.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

The beer is excellent overall. A phenomenal nose of citrus starts it off, smooth citrus flavors, cooling and slightly sweet touch the front and mid palate with a trumpet of hoppiness on the finish. A very inviting, thirst quenching, taste-bud delighting IPA.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist