Love Belgian Beer?

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,231 | Ratings: 12,553

A: Perfect... clear golden with a thick lasting white head.
S: Wow! smells amazing...like a bag of super fresh hops.
T: A lot like the smell, but better...add a subtle malt character to this hop bomb and you've got a perfect marriage of of both. Superbly balanced!
M: Not too thin or thick...Goldie Locks would be proud!

I really can't say enough about this beer...It's all that and more! Get a can NOW!

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

Pint-sized can served cold.

No date on the can but I purchased in myself from the brewery two weeks ago so I know it's still fresh.

Serving suggestion is straight from the can so I'll try it that way to start.

Opens with a soft hiss and almost immediately I smell the fresh citrusy hops. Big notes of grapefruit with secondary lemons and oranges. Beautifully bright and crisp.

Flavor is big and intense with more grapefruit, bitter blood orange, citrus pith, rind, zest... You name it! Almost like whole fruit was thrown into a blender and then into the boil. It's definitely bitter but without being overwhelming. At least not for us hop heads.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little heavier than some, with a good level of carbonation. Reasonably balanced and drinkable for the style. Obviously not a session beer but one where the can is easily consumed solo.

Overall an excellent beer and a wonderfully enjoyable big citrus DIPA. If only I could get this in Colorado.

P.S. - after a few good sips from the can, I poured the rest into an imperial pint glass. Very hazy golden yellow color and thick white head that settles to a rocky top with great lace. Nothing much lost by pouring it into a glass but there's something a little rebellious about drinking one of the world's best beers straight from the tall boy!

4.94/5  rDev +6%

This is the shiznit. Been drinking and home brewing for years. DIPA's are my thing and this is amazing. Best beer on the east coast IMHO and probably the best beer I've had. I lived on the west coast 15 years ago but haven't had the west coast stuff fresh in years but this stuff is amazing. $4 for a can is a steal. Planning another trip to VT just to stock up. I ruined myself.

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

Following the rules is really difficult for me but when the can tells you to drink it straight from the can, I listen. Hey, who am I to go against the way this beer was meant to be drank. I have heard from others though that this beer isn't very pretty. I can imagine that's true since this thing is truly hop heaven.

The aroma from the small opening of the can is very pungent with lots of citrus. If you love hops, you're going to want to smell this thing.

Couldn't tell you what this thing looks like but I do know this thing is all about the hops on the first sip. Right away you can taste that citrusy, grapefruit. It's got some sweetness and a little bitterness to cut through those hops and it's all a wonderful concoction. Truly my favorite IPA.

Get it if you can.

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%

500ml can 8,0% ABV.
Two cans both served chilled, one in an over sized wine glass and one straight from the can as recommended.
No canning date (WHY????)

Appearance: Murky, golden-orange body topped by a large white head. The head displays good retention and leaves some great looking lacing as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Thank the pope, this smells fresh!!! Wonderful juicy fruit aromas (orange, peach, passion fruit, mango and tangerine) combine with grapefruit, pine resin, and a dank leafy character.

Taste: Mmmmm, this is absolutely delicious! Sweet, juicy citrus (orange and tangerine) dominates, with mango, peach, grapefruit, resiny pine and a dank herbal character all well noted. With this much hop flavour, the beer is surprisingly balanced - moderate bitterness and sublime drinkability.

Mouthfeel: For my personal tastes, this is just about perfect! Medium bodied and quite oily, with a medium-high level of smooth carbonation.

Overall: Heady Topper certainly lives up to the reputation! This is a phenomenal IIPA that (unlikely as it seems) DOES taste better out of the can than out of a glass! Initially the difference between can and glass is quite small, however as the beer warms the can certainly comes out on top!

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

Bought a 4-pack from the Beverage Warehouse while in Winooski last weekend.

A - No idea. Drank straight from the can as instructed.
S - Wow. Big citrus, dank, wet hops. Got even better as the can warmed a bit. One of the best hop aromas I've ever smelled.
T - Strong hops, citrus, pine resin. Good bitterness without being completely overwhelming. Sweet malt comes through just enough to keep everything together. To me, this beer is all about the hops though.
M - Not as syrupy as many DIPAs I've had. Medium mouthfeel that comes across as "fresh" in my mind.
O - Rough around the edges in all the right ways. The type of beer that grows on you and leaves you wanting more when the last one is gone. Worth the hype in my opinion, and something I'll seek out again.

4.54/5  rDev -2.6%

A - I know it says to drink from the can but I wanted to see it. It's a hazy, orange with hints of lemon near the edges. Light carbonation near the bottom. Had a few inches of white head that slowly disappeared

S - What a nose on this. Tons of resin, wet hops come forth of this as I get hints of grapefruit, pine, and lemon. There is also a slight sweet orange and pineapple that comes forth. It just smells great without being overpowering

T - First, there is a sweet tangerine and orange. Then, you get grapefruit and pine hops on the middle. Near the end of the beer, there is a stronger grapefruit hops that comes through without being overpowering. This is one of those beers like Pliny that bring multiple hop flavors with each sip and manages to never be overpowering. It has a nice malt backbone that brings nice sweet flavors as well.

MF - Medium body with light carbonation. Actually not too heavy for a DIPA which makes it easy to drink. Slight resin near the end that lingers on the tongue

O - This is one heck of a DIPA that I wish was available locally as you could drink one after another. It is well balanced and brings a ton of hoppy flavors without being bitter or overpowering. Definitely one of the best DIPAs out there.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

I did not go into this with too big of expectations. Most of the highly rated IPAs I've had have not lived up to my expecations and I was disappointed. Maybe going into it with open expectations is the way to go, because this floored me. I am so sad it is gone.

A- A bit mirky. I know they said to drink it out of the can, but I just couldn't. Cloudy gold with white lacing

S- never smelled anything like it. So hoppy, citrusy, skunky almost. Smell really sticks with you. I know it probably does not make sense, but it just has a clean smell to it

T- It is one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had, but at the same time, it is not a hop bomb. Don't know how they do it. Most beers this hoppy are a mess. This is perfect. citrusy. velvety.

M- great body. Good carbonation. More carbonated than I like, but it works perfect with this blend. Oily. Stays with you for quite a while

O-perfect. I'm so sad its gone. Better than any big IPA Ive ever had

4.57/5  rDev -1.9%

16oz can divided between a snifter and the can.

pours a golden / medium amber tone with some haze to it while yielding a finger and a half of a creamy, off-white head. excellent retention and lacing. nose offers a nice, fragrant bouquet of hops, heavy on the tropical / citrus, some floral and some grass notes and a hint of sweet malt.

flavor follows the aroma. lots of tropical / citric hoppiness - lemon zest, grapefruit, and mango among others - with a little malt in the background. medium bitterness. nice, medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall an outstanding beer. i'd probably be enjoying it even more had my expectations not been so incredibly sky high. and while it's not the best IPA/DIPA i've ever head, it's certainly up there - it just works. world class brew.

(originally reviewed: 01-09-2012)

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Served in a nonical pint glass just for appearance. Drank 1st from the can, the way it is meant to be drank.

A - Pale amber slightly opaque with 2 finger frothy white head with excellent retention and good lacing.

S - One of the best smelling beers out there. You almost feel you are smelling the true essence of grassy, citrus, peach, grapefruit hops with a touch of bready malt, but not much. It is all about the hops here.

T - Once again, I cannot believe the level of hop aroma and flavor this beer has resolved. All the presence of hops in the nose is here from the beginning and develops even further with chiefly citrus and grassy hops but also a touch of spicy and piney notes. The alcohol is present, but just barely for balance and that is just how big the hops are in a beer with 8% you really don't notice the EtOH. This is simple, unadulterated hops fun.

M - Medium body, moderate-high carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

O - I think this is easily my favorite beer in a can and among the best ever. I like this as much as Pliny the Younger. Where that beer was complex, rich, and subtle at the same time, this beer just does one thing, but does it PERFECTLY. It captures the soul of the hops.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%

A - pours a slightly hazey marigold color. A fingers worth of froathy white head which quickly dissipates to just a white ring around the rim. No lacing.

S - the aroma just permiates from the can as soon as its opened. The nose is bright and intoxicating in itself. Bright grapefruit, orange and lemon peel lead the charge followed by a basket of tropical fruit filled to the brim with candied pineapple and fleshy mango. The nose is rounded out by notes of fresh cut grass, and crusty bread.

T - taste follows the nose for the most part. At first it seems more on the dry side but seems to get sweeter as it warms. Dough and bread crust are first detected on the tip of the tongue. Lots of sweet fruit and malt character aid in keeping the grapefruit bitterness balanced. Pineapple and banana peel seem to be the predominant tropical fruits while the grassy flavors keep the flavors well rounded in the middle of the palate. A strong bitterness in the long finish as well as a touch of lemony acidity.

M - slick textured medium verging on full bodied with a light bubbly carbonation.

O - excellent. Almost everything I love about IPAs in a single can. Alchemist really hit the nail on the head with this one.

4.57/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

thanks to egrace84 for sending this can my way! Thanks elliot!

tall boy can into duvel tulip.

Appearance: yellowish/orange opaque bodied beer with alot of white floaties. 2 to 3 fingers of white head that drops down to a small thin cap with some decent staying power. Spotty thin lace everywhere that the head touched the glass. I love how it says to drink the beer out of the can; I did not follow those orders.

Smell: This smells amazing! Big dank resinous hop oil upfront. Big citrus notes mostly oranges. Some mangos and peaches too. Also has a little bit of sweetness in the nose, similiar to honey.

Taste: This beer tastes very hoppy without being over the top bitter. Thats a great trait for any hoppy beer to have; I dig it for sure! Very nice balance between the malt and hops! The hops have a fairly complex profile here, probably the best that I have ever tasted. Oranges, tropical fruits(mango and pineapple), melon, grassy, herbal, hint of pine resin, and all the hops taste really juicy. The beer finishes with a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Not a hint of booze at all...very nice! Semi-dry finish, yet still juicy and dank thanks to the hops!

Overall: Fantastic DIPA that lives up to its name. The only DIPA that I have found to be better is Lawson's Double Sunshine.

4.41/5  rDev -5.4%

The Crack! seemed extra loud in the silence of my kitchen following yesterday's snowfall. My gentle Glug still produced a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that turned to wisps pretty quickly. Color was a hazy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose had a grapefruit tartness underlain by a tropical fruitiness. Mouthfeel was medium. The intensity of the hops immediately began an assault on my tongue, eroding all of those weak or dead taste buds and leaving the defenses wide open for the second wave. Now, it was like hydrofluoric acid, worming its way into every pore and burning like hell. Finish was super hoppy, very dry.

Unbelievable! 537 CAN reviews with my CANQuest (TM) entry as # 538. I CANnot remember any other craft CANs with this many reviews! Impressive.

From the CAN: "DRINK FROM THE CAN! [x3 for added emphasis]"; "Heady Topper is an Ameri[CAN] Double India Pale Ale. This beer is not intended to be the biggest or most bitter. It is meant to give you wave after wave of hoppy goodness on your palate. Tremendous amounts of Ameri[CAN] hops will creep up on you and leave you with a dense hoppy finish in your mouth. So drinkable, it's scary. Sometimes I wish I could crawl right into the [CAN]. Freshness and control have always been my main concern[s] when it comes to our beer. We are committed to providing you with an unfiltered and unpasteurized hop experience. Why do I recommend that you drink it from the [CAN]? Quite simply, to ensure a delightful, [sic] hop experience. The act of pouring it in a glass smells nice, but it releases the essential hop aromas that we have worked so hard to retain. If you MUST pour it into a glass, you may find that some of the hop resins have settled to the bottom - leave them in the CAN when pouring. This beer is perishable, and at its best when it is young, fresh and hazy. Keep it cold, but not ice cold. Drink this beer immediately, we are always making more. [Undersigned] John Kimmich, The Alchemist, Waterbury, Vermont"; "Don't be a D-Bag, recycle this [CAN]!".

My apologies to Mr. Kimmich, but a basic tenet of The CANQuest (TM) is to deCANt the beer into a glass. I do not tell him how to do his job, I would appreciate if he did not tell me how to do mine. I hear from too many people that "CANned beer tastes metallic", mostly because they are French Kissing the goldanged CAN. I may pour some and drink some from the CAN, but how CAN I review it without seeing it in all of its glory, which is another tenet for inclusion in The CANQuest - review only, no "Hads". The last tenet is to drink it all, no matter how vile. This is to separate the men from the boys, hear me, Minhas?!?

At last, after all of that transcription, it is Crack & Glug time! Anticipation, it's makin' me wait! Man, but Carly Simon was a babe in her prime. Still in all, I would not kick her out of bed for eating crackers in the sack, even today. It's like I was telling the young honey honey the other day, we all age and if you think you will be the hardbody you are now in twenty-five years, you got another think comin'. But I digress, as I am often wont to do.

Wow, but the room smelled dank! I had just under two fingers of dense tawny head that was creating the kind of lacing that would require a jackhammer to remove as it fell. The amber liquid was hazy, dense, viscous and I wanted to dive into it just to see where it would lead. Nose was resinous, if that adjective may be applied to a liquid. Pine, wintergreen, menthol, green, baby! Holy overwhelming, Batman! Mouthfeel was sticky and in the way that napalm was sticky. Man, you get that burning craziness on your skin and you start running down the road stark naked. Phan Thi Kim Phuc, I feel your pain. I suddenly got the urge to strip down and run up the street with my tongue lolling out of my mouth in the hopes of some cooling action. It is a good thing that people are used to this sort of thing from me or there might have been real trouble. I'm back and to great applause as the late-1960's and early-1970's are making a comeback and streaking is again fashionable. This is some groovy weed, I mean, beer. Finish was so gaspingly dry that I am reaching for my asthma inhaler. Let's do this again, real soon. No, really, man, how soon CAN I score some more? I mean, you're always growing, I mean, making more, right?

Now directly from the CAN: Oh yeah, it's an epiphany! I CAN rap with my late Pops while going bowling with Jesus. Dude, you CANnot pick up the 7-10 split to save your life, CAN you? That, and now I got this metallic taste going on that was not present before. Wow, baby, wow! Groovy.

Hey, dig this, hep cats, this is what'll send you (and I don't mean via FedEx, in fact, the less the feds are involved, the better). Stamp help out. Lenny Bruce is not afraid. I am now going to operate a heavy crane near an orphanage. That, or procure a tank and drive that around. It all makes sense now. Say, who left murph the surf on my ceiling?

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%

1pt Can. A drop into a ½ glass –just for appearance & smelling- the rest direct from the can following brewer´s suggestion. Enjoyed on jun´12. Pale straw color, hazy. Off-white, small bubbled, froth. Slowly dissipated crown leaves a thin foam layer on top. Intense ripe tropical fruit, resin & sweet malt aromas. Pleasant sweet, creamy, maltiness at fist sip mixed with tropical fruits & increasing bitterness. Medium to full body, oily texture. Low carbonation. Ripe fruit in the middle cut by resiny touch lingers into the short, dry finish. Delightful. Probably one of the best AIPA I´ve ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

I was at one of my favorite beer stores when I heard that they had a case of Heady Topper in the back. I decided to pick two up to see what all the buzz was about. Brought these devils home and put them on ice for a rainy day. 8 hours later I decided it was close enough.

On the can it says that you should drink from the can to keep all of the hops aroma and flavor in the can. Of course, I had to pour a little into a glass to see what it smelled like. It had a very hoppy but fruity smell. Very aromatic like a good IPA should be. Drinking it from the glass made for a good hoppy IPA. Drinking this beer from the can made for a completely different beer. Much more of the hop character seemed to stay with the can and as for drinkability.... It was almost unfair. This is easily the most drinkable IPA I have ever had. Incredibly smooth and fresh with hints of hop "bite" that won't overwhelm. The one characteristic that supercedes all others is easily the drinkability of this beer. I have yet to try PtE or PtY but this goes down easily as the best IPA I have ever tried.

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%

This, indeed, lives up to expectations. Grabbed 24 cans in VT while boating on champlain lake. Also got some torpedo, founder's centennial and ruination IPA from stone, but HT is way more interesting. First one was pretty good. The 2 lasts were just delicious.

A: pretty clear golden color, a tad cloudy

S: Really nice, with smells of resin, oranges. Smells like fresh hop pellets.

T: This is hoppy, with intenity and greath lenght, but wow, it's so balanced. It's bitter indeed, without being austere. This is pretty drinkable for such a hoppy, high alc. ale.

M: pretty smooth, nice carbonation. Looong aftertaste, with total balance.

O: Really impressive. Indeed the best IPA I've tried, not cause it's the boldest, but because it's elegant in its own way. Nice one...

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%

Wow! I received a four pack as a gift this weekend. Had heard about the beer before but put it in the fridge and continued the night. Had two last night and one tonight. What an amazing beer. Every aspect of this beer- down to the clear instructions to drink it straight from the can (cant truly rate the appearance because I drank em from the can)- make it a very special beer. After having three and checking the reviews I was not surprised to see that it is so highly rated.

Smell is delightful with hints of mango.

Taste is not over the top hops. They are there and you are expecting it but I think the amazing thing about this beer is that the taste is over powered by the hops.

I could go on but many others have done it already with some very elaborate and detailed descriptions.

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my buddy for bringing two cans of Heady Topper to our college reunion.

This is the second of two. I drank the first from the can as instructed. But, I figured I'd pour the second one for the review.

Poured from a 16 oz. can into my CBS snifter.

Appearance: Incredibly hazy honeyed colored pour. Totally opaque. Thin layer of wispy white head. Not much in the way of head retention but very nice lacing.

Smell: The hops aroma just pummels you with each whiff of the beer. Huge grapefruit, mango and peach aromas along with some herbal notes. As a hophead, this is an incredibly pleasing smelly beer. It's over the top for certain but it works

Taste: Not nearly as bitter as I expected. It's rife with tropical fruit tastes including grapefruit and mango. It's dank, juicy and delicious. Dry finish with a mild booziness. A super tasty DIPA though I could stand a little more balance.

Mouthfeel : Thick and extremely resinous. Mildly boozy but quite drinkable.

Overall: This is an excellent beer but it's a little green around the edges particularly when drank from a glass. It's a taste bomb from a can. Enjoyed it very much.

4.87/5  rDev +4.5%

I drank the first sips from the can. Wowza! That's some insane hoppiness. As a force of habit, I had to pour 3/4 into a pint glass. The pour revealed a hazy golden blonde liquid topped with a big bubbled, chunky head. A few chunks of lace cling to the glass and the head recedes a bit but never disappears. A dusting of coarse sediment lays at the bottom. I'd suggest putting this beer in a glass if only because it looks so nice.

The aroma is potent, unrestrained hops. Luscious, perfumey hop flavors abound. The taste reveals a great diversity of hop flavors - in concentrated form. Tangerine, pine, green melon, aspirin, soap, grapefruit rind all abound. Malts are detectable under the din of hop insanity, but they never even approach balance with the hops. The mouthfeel is thick with resiny, mouthcoating hop oils. Carbonation is moderate. The finish is very hoppy and the bitterness lasts an eternity.

This stuff is crack for hopheads. extremely hoppy, no hype or marketing, just a very raw and concentrated hop flavor. I highly recommend this to the discerning hophead. I'd say it might be a bit much for anyone but.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Oh, how I tried not to love this beer...

I've heard a lot of great reviews about Heady Topper from a few of my homebrew club members and quickly drove out to pick some up. Needless to say, the beer easily surpassed my expectations.

The IIPA poured hazy, with visible hop material that settled to the bottom of the glass. The haze makes it impossible to see through the beer, and the color is similar to that of caramel candy (dark gold).

The aroma is hard to miss, and it hit me as soon as I opened the can. However, the smell is not overwhelming, but instead very smooth, inviting you to drink up. The hop aroma reveals the complex hop character of the beer.

The hop flavor creeps up on you after swallowing. However, it doesn't have that drink-with-caution bitterness that can overwhelm the palate. It takes all of the tastiness one would love about hops while leaving some of the bite behind.

Medium body, leaving some bitterness laying on the tongue and throat, but still enjoyable.

It's one of those beers that everyone should drink at least once!

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Nice loose and tall head over a straw colored body.
The aroma is great, a soft papaya like tropical fruit nose, with tangerine and grassy notes playing their part. More dry then juicy on the nose. well done.
The clean, dry, and tropical fruit notes continue here but with a more citrus lean to them. A touch of honey like sweetness to complement the bitterness, and a touch of cracker.
mouthfeel is moderate, not dry or sticky.

Yummy.

purchased on ebay, and after arriving i quickly purchased again!

one of the best tasting and smoothest ipa's i have ever tasted... my fridge currently has bells hop slam, pliny the elder and just finished the last of the hoptimum, but this is now the can i reach for!

first can i poured, despite the cans instructions, in to a tulip glass. the head was a nice off white, but nothing too heavy. color was exactly what you want in an ipa, orangish amber. the smell was really fresh and lovely! even my wife said it smelled good! :)
it's all up hill from here... the first taste lets you know your drinking something special. your second drink assures you you weren't delusional, and by the third your already checking if you have more!

buy this beer! buy it by the case if you can! keep this beer in your fridge all year round!

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A=4: Hazy gold with plenty of yeast floaties, nice white head with plenty of retention, some lacing.

S=5: Just opening the can releases a plethora of grassy aroma that's a bit dank. Poured into the glass and it's still very dank, with mango, nectarine and candied pineapple.

T=4.5: Solid bitterness, but it's not overbearing. Initial hit is a bit briny, but that subsides to mango, papaya and candied pineapple... nectarine, tangerine, sponge toffee and hints of biscuit round out the flavour.

M=4.5: Slightly off-dry and very smooth, with some hop acidty.

O=4.5: Overall this is a really great brew. It doesn't have the assertive, piny, resiny bitterness of some, it's just a pleasant hop bomb. Low cohumulone hops?

HUGE thanks to Rutager!

I've had a couple more cans that were even fresher (without the yeast floaties), and I have to upgrade this review. Although cloudy, it pours with a nice head. Despite the amount of hops, body is incredibly smooth. Best thing in a can?

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Pounded my first HT on my break at work today in fifteen minutes since it was consume on premises only so this review might be a little muddled, but hey, at least I got some Head.

A: Drank it right out of the can like it says to. The dude next to me drinking it had a cloudy honey straw color with a little bit of sediment. No time for a glass for me. Right down the hatch it went.

S: Holy monkey fuck this smells amazing. Take a really nice piney/citrus/grapefruit IPA and times it by a hundred. Smells like freaking heaven. I still have the can and every time I walk by it I give it a whiff and it still has a potently delicious aroma even though it's all gone.

T: Instant punch of citrus and grapefruit with a hell of a hop punch, but without the bitterness. Although the people next to me didn't agree with this, I got a slight bready aftertaste. Not overwhelming, just soft and pleasant. Like the can says, this is dangerously drinkable. I could drink this stuff all day it's so damn good and it goes down so easy. Pounding a pint in 15 minutes was no trouble at all.

M: Hop resins stick to the palette like glue and linger long after the sip is finished. Super smooth.

O: I've always been afraid of trying whales like this sometimes, because they never seem to live up to their names. This definitely lives up to its name. I'm so happy I got a chance to try this. This is probably the best beer I've ever had.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

There's quite a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and it is my favorite style, so I was very excited to finally be able to pick some up while in Vermont recently. I drank my first one last night from the can like it says, but this time I'm pouring a whole can into a 16 oz Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass for the review (and yes I will drink the remaining two from the can!)

A - Pours a very hazy golden orange with about 1 1/2 fingers of foamy off-white head. Some very small but noticeable particulates floating in the glass. Much cloudier than your typical DIPA.

S - As soon as the pressure inside the can was released, the room was enveloped in an amazing hop/tropical fruit aroma. Diving further into the head you'll notice TONS of grapefruit and sweet bready malt. Peaches, mango and tropical fruit are also there. A nice earthy, grassy hop aroma comes through as well but the fruits dominate.

T - Initially sweet and fruity, it rides out to a spectacular grassy and piney finish. There is so much citrusy hoppy goodness packed into this can. The freshness of the hops is really unparalleled, it is by far the "juiciest" DIPA I've been able to track down. The hops are complimented by a sweet bread malt backbone and it is extremely well balanced. Dry, bitter, and slightly boozy aftertaste. Very little booziness in the taste however, just loads of super fresh and pure hoppy goodness.

M - Chewy and full bodied with somewhat low carbonation, but it's spot on. A little oily and sticky on the lips, as expected.

O - Are there more insane DIPAs out there? Of course. But this has to be one of the freshest and "purest" tasting DIPAs I have ever had. It's near flawless and quite remarkable, and totally warrants the $12 price tag for the 4 pack. If you're a true hophead like me, you really have no choice but to seek this out. It warrants the hype and I'm hoping it will propel this brilliant brewer to future success and more releases.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist