Heady Topper | The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Ratings: 13,307 |  Reviews: 2,357
4.48/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden orange and hazy and chalky. Smells like fruit with some hops and sweet malts. Taste is like a breath of fresh air. Bitter and crisp, with citrus and dry bready finish. Fantastic malt flavor, heavily hopped but it retains balanced. Great flavor and drinkability from start to finish. This beer can be on the inconsistent side. My first review of this beer was a 4.78/5... but after having had multiple since then, I figured it needed a new review. Still delicious, but it can be the victim of inconsistency.

4.99/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been looking forward to trying this for years now. Living in NJ I can't tell you how many times I've had friends or co workers promise they would bring back some from a trip to VT or " my buddy/cousin/whoever lives up there, I'll get them to bring it down " but all fell through. I finally decided to take a road trip. I planned it well and did the round trip in a day, came back w 2 cases plus some other VT beers. Successful trip I'd say. Anyway, with all the hype and what I had to go through to get some Heady I was finally ready to see for myself. Well - I can see why this beer gets all the talk. This isn't even my favorite style, I'm a BBA Stout guy but I must say this is a fantastic brew. Outrageous flavor that just keeps getting better. No question Heady is deserving of its # 1 status. Long live the king !!

4.96/5  rDev +6.7%

A friend brought me a can from his VT trip. WOW! Nice aroma. Well-balanced. I like the use of malt that allows you to enjoy the hops and not be overrun by them. Heady has now moved into a first place tie with Bell's Hopslam as my ATF. Problem is now I want another one and I'm not planning any trips to VT in the near future!

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

4.87/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.91/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was given a can by an extremely generous BA on here, this was my white whale and I have now slayed it and it was worth every ounce of hype. I took the first sip and it was great, maybe not the best beer I've ever had but it was up there. The more it warmed up it got better with every sip until I could literally think of nothing I would change about the beer. A steady supply of this would be dangerous, and IIPA's aren't even my favorite style of beer but this is my favorite beer I have tried yet in my short time diving in to craft beer. Side note, I drank about half from a glass and half from the can, and maybe it's just in my head because they tell you to on the can, but I think I liked straight from the can a little better.

4.84/5  rDev +4.1%

Great IPA. No bad after taste juat delicious light and easy to drink. Def recommend if you can get your hands on it

4.71/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Well.. it wasn't MIND BLOWING... but it was a perfectly balanced IPA... not my favorite, but I'd get it again.

4.94/5  rDev +6.2%

I'm not going to do the typical L S T F O stuff that is on this site for this beer. I have frequented the site for years and years and this is the beer that made me have to do a review. I was skeptical when I obtained this beer. It can't be worth the hype. It can't be as good as this website says it is. I'm here to write that it is, without a doubt, the most incredible DIPA I have ever had. Not too strong, yet still flavorful. Still aromatic. I drank it form the can so I can't comment on the look but I don't care. This is a beer that is extremely hard for me to obtain in the area I am. I never thought I would get this beer. And now that I have, every IPA I have ever had fails in comparison. It was perfect.

4.94/5  rDev +6.2%

4.15/5  rDev -10.8%

4.86/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A - The beauty here is in seeing what is coming, but the golden orange body, opaque, and moderate thin white head, are not stunning. The can art is great, and it is not a bad looking beer, but it is not exceptionally good looking.

S - On the other hand, the smell is a full range of fruit notes, from hints of orange and grapefruit, to stone fruit elements, tropicals and mild grain and grass elements underpinning. The depth and fullness stun, and my wife, who hates beer, even agreed that this is a good smelling brew. As full and ranging as this is, it avoids the harsher hop notes common in bold IPAs I've had.

T - Man, oh, man. Delivering a broad, full range of fruit flavors, mango and grapefruit, peaches, couples with deep grains and floral and grassy notes. The depth is extraordinary.

M - For how bruising and bold the hop profile, this could have been a scraper. Many this bold are. But the feel, though full, with a touch of drying in the close, is not abusive. A gentle giant.

O - So this is what the hype is about. A tremendous treat, with bold complex flavors that do not overwhelm the palate. The real trick here is getting all of these elements to sing in harmony, and the brewers earned their name on this one. Worth every bit of credit this beer gets.

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.99/5  rDev +7.3%

Great beer. Solved the problem with the supply of Heady Topper. I just brewed a clone version and was virtually identical.

4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

4.21/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%