Heady Topper | The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Ratings: 13,297 |  Reviews: 2,356
4.96/5  rDev +6.7%

3.53/5  rDev -24.1%

Purchased on 8/21 and 8/22. Some of the cans tasted amazing and others not that remarkable. In the cans that were less than remarkable, I observed what I think is an usual amount of air space between the top of the can and the top of the beer inside the can. In terms of volume, it was approximately a 1 ounce void in a 16 ounce can. In these cans the bottom of the tab, once opened, barely touched the top of the beer. I found myself wondering if this air space contributed to off flavors, mainly because the cans I thought tasted amazing were full of beer - no air void in the can. It's a solid beer and it's fun to stand in line for it, but each time I head to VT I find myself more impressed with other VT offerings and less impressed with Heady.

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very nice, dank and piney aroma and taste. Very balanced between malt sweetness and hop bitterness. Only downside for me is the lack of some tropical fruit and the alcohol being just a bit too present.

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

I'll preface this by saying I was incredibly skeptical of this beer. I was in Vermont and couldn't pass it up. Everyone kept telling me it was the greatest thing ever, all I could think was "yeah right don't buy the hype." Now I know that no amount of hype can do justice to this beer.

Appearance: Had it straight from the can as directed. Honestly not a huge fan of the can artwork.

Smell: Very fruity, I picked up faint earth scents. Like being in an orange grove on a dewy morning with bits of soil clumping to your shoes.

Taste: The fruit smell flowed into the taste, but the taste was complemented with a pleasant hoppiness and grass-like flavor. Dry but not overwhelmingly so. Hints of so many things yet nothing dominated.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with enough carbonation to know you're still drinking a beer.

Overall: Someone outside of Stowe told me that people have been known to hide out by the brewery and tail delivery trucks while they make their runs. If I lived in Vermont I'd do the same.

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

4.65/5  rDev 0%

I tried a few ounces in a tulip, and the rest out of the can. I have to say I enjoyed the tulip better as I consumed it as the bouquet was opening. In the end, it was simply a delicious beer.

4.64/5  rDev -0.2%