Heady Topper | The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Ratings: 13,297 |  Reviews: 2,356

4.96/5  rDev +6.7%

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Just had my first of the mythical heady topper this evening!

4.52/5  rDev -2.8%

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Finally got to have one of these last night! To me, this beer is perfect.

A: Took my first sip from the can since the can says I should. I had to see this beauty though, so I poured the rest into a snifter. Poured a very hazy orange color with a nice eggshell white head.

S: The aroma of this beer was unreal. As soon as I opened the can it hit me. Super dank and pungent, piney, and aromas of tropical fruit and citrus.

T: Sticky bitter hop resins up front, but the bitterness isn't overwhelming. That's followed by pine and fruits like pineapple, peach, and grapefruit. The finish had a subtle malt bready sweetness that helps keep the beer smooth.

M: Dry, but not thin. Medium bodied. Sticky hop resins with medium carbonation. Super easy drinking, I could put a few of these away in a hurry. Not boozy at all.

O: To me, this is a perfect DIPA. As it says right on the can, it doesn't strive to be the biggest or most bitter, but it's flavor is amazing. Wish I had regular access to this beer.

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Look, I'm not going to add a whole lot to the conversation here, but I've got to write something - I'm tearing up as I type... I've had this 4 times now. 1st at a party in Somerville, and I was half in the bag already. 2nd time it was warm. 3rd time was a tip from a guy at the bar I work at 2 a.m. And I'm having one now. All have been memorable. It is a remarkable experience.

A: I poured it out into an 10oz glass and it shows a hazy yellow gold. 1" of white foam. I did drink the remainder from the can as instructed. 2nd time I've done that.

S: Woody, earthy pine, then comes a wave of baked peaches and apricots, and finally the much anticipated ruby grapefruit.

T: Sweet bread malt, and the grapefruit bitterness. Lingers to orange juice and honey, balancing the hops. Wonderful.

M: Chewy, yet spirited carbonation. Just a kiss of residuals. Alcohol?

O: This beer makes me smile. Tough to describe, but there's this luscious backbone that screams for all that hops. Every time I taste it I can't get over the sweet homebrew note that counters that Imperial IPA hop blast. It's like a dash of salt on your watermelon, or a couple granules of sugar on a cucumber, it just works. I adore Stone's Ruination (had it on tap for years where I bartended), but this is less refined, more casual, less pretentious, yet bolder - drink it from the can or don't. Just be happy knowing it's out there. A+

Heady Topper from The Alchemist