Heady Topper | The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,277 | Ratings: 12,797
4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

16oz Tall Boy purchased from the cannery hours earlier. Consumed from the can. Appearance is a murky dishwater color with sediment. Aroma is uber hoppy. Big grapefruit with sweet citrus and tropical fruits. Outstanding. Taste mirrors the aroma. Lots of hoppy goodness. Plenty of grapefruit along with citrus peel and hints of pine towards the end. Tropical notes as well. Pineapple. Dry, oily mouthfeel. Bitter and delicious. Highly drinkable. Amazing brew. Overall, hype warranted.

Note: Appearance rated from a separate time where I poured it into a glass.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Damn, this is hoppy. That's about my first impression immediately upon popping the cap off of this. With that, I should say huge, huge thanks to rpstevens and kingcrowing for sending me bottles of this, the latter of which was a complete surprise. One bottle to be consumed tonight, the other to be shared with friends this weekend.

This bottle is shared with Amyliz4 and poured into two of our larger, unbranded tulips. The pour yields a slightly-hazed bright peach body with a two-finger head. Pretty good retention and plenty of spotty lacing as it makes its way down to a bit of rocky foam sitting atop the brew. A fairly-thick collar remains on the brew throughout as more spots settle on the sides of the glass.

As previously stated, the aroma on this is damn near epic and remains amazing throughout. The initial whiff slammed my nostrils with dominant notes of tropical fruit, citrus rind, and a bit of pine. Each swirl kicks up another bit of aroma with some mango skin and passion fruit taking hold at first. Behind that is a flock of citrus and an overload of ripe peaches. Following behind all this when you sniff really hard is a nice finish of some piney resin.

The flavor picks up where the nose left off, though doesn't quite dominate my senses like the nose did. With that said, this is some really, really incredible stuff. I'll start off with one of my only complaints, which is that the hop flavor isn't quite as pungent as the aroma is. Still, there is some fairly-radical hop flavor to balance the hop bitterness. Did you hear that many makers of East Coast IPAs? Malt sweetness doesn't provide balance to bitterness in a fantastic double IPA, lovely and luscious fruit flavors do.

Mango, passion fruit, and guava make their way into the mix. The strong, strong bitterness levels really elevate the citrus presence and make me think of some good grapefruit rind. The body on this does an absolutely remarkable job accentuating the hops. There's not an ounce of sweetness, but there's enough body to really pull everything together. The bitterness in the finish is uber-high and leaves my mouth quite dry. There's certainly a solution for that--have some more.

I've been waiting a long, long time to finally try this one. Unlike an unfortunately-large percentage of other beers with so much hype, I have enjoyed this immensely. Huge, huge thanks again to Ryan and Nick for the chance to finally try this. Cheers to both of you.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Well here it is. Heady Topper. Poured into a tulip glass (we are trying to culture the yeast, so no drinking out of the can.)

The appearance is surprisingly not that bad, with a careful pour. It's murky but doesn't look close to some of the pictures I have seen. Hazy orange with a bright white head.

The smell is incredible. Absolutely huge aroma on this one. Pine and a mix of citrus (grapefruit, orange, lemon.) Some tropical notes. Dank and herbal. Amazing.

Taste follows similarly. Big citrus and pine. Some bready malts backing up the huge hop flavor. Bitter, but with just a touch of sweetness to back it up, though overall a very dry beer.

Medium full body and perfect carbonation for style.

The aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel of this beer are so spot on. Really, this is the perfect double IPA, and one of the best beers I have ever had. I didn't want to buy into the hype, but it really is fantastic. I'll have to figure out how to get more of this one.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

16 oz can. I poured half into a pint glass and drank the other half from the can ala the instructions. Not sure when this was canned, but it comes from the late March release to a few Massachusetts beer shops.

A - Super hazy dark yellow body. Lets just a bit of light through. Some floating sediment and yeast. Soapy off-white four finger high head forms after a quick pour. Settles down to a dirty cap with plenty of lacing and retention. Leaves behind a slick coating with each sip.

S - Super juicy grapefruit with some peach, mango, and orange. Just a hint of some biscuity and bready malts. Simply perfect.

T - Orange juice. A touch of sour grapefruit and light floral and grass. Not getting much of a malt backbone. Just some faint buttery biscuit notes that work really well with the intense orange and grapefruit notes. Really clean and refreshing with a pleasant but quick bitterness on the finish. Medium moth feel with low carbonation. Alcohol is not noticeable at all. Taste is identical from the can...

O - This is unbelievably easy drinking, I'm afraid this four pack isn't going to last very long. Which sucks since the inflated shop price was $18. I don't think its one of the best beers in the world, but it is really high up when it comes to DIPA's.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to beerometer for making his first trade ever with such an awesome beer. Served in my Stone IPA glass.

Appearance- Pours a hazy gold/amber with about 2 fingers of pure white head. Nice lacing.

Aroma- Oh wow! Hops, hops, and more hops. Huge focus on the citrus (you would imagine) with grapefruit being the standout followed by lemon and orange peel. There is also a good bit of pine needles hiding just below the citrus.

Taste- So much fresh hops. Again the citrus is right there followed by the pine (almost forresty). Despite the heavy hop bomb there is (and not much detectable malt) this doesn't feel overwhelmingly unbalanced. Finishes with some nice bitterness, and leaves little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated and mouth coating in the most wonderful way.

Drink- I docked a point here just because this is so bitter and flavor packed that 1 bomber is definitely enough for a sitting. But god I wish there was another waiting for me tomorrow.

Overall this ties with Pliny the Elder for my favorite Double IPA objectively, but the heavy use of Citra hops gives this an edge in my book.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Canned just over a week ago. For this review I poured it into a snifter, I just need the aroma and carbonation release.

Appearance: An ugly looking beer. An orange/yellow color sits with the murkiest body of an IPA I've ever seen. The unique appearance of this beer has some charm and mystery to it. A solid finger of lacing on the pour with an average amount of lacing randomly left on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Once I popped the can open, the hops explored out. Sitting in the glass, an extremely potent combination of straw and tropical fruits. The grass and pine notes provide a biting bitterness while the fruity accents lighten up the aroma. The bitter tones no doubt dominate but there is plenty else going on here.

Taste: The sweet tropical fruit lacing hit the palate right away. The grass and straw tones burst through on the front as well and provide delicious bitter front. The bitterness is beautifully matched with bright hop tones and a balanced malt backbone. I really think the malt is key here. Allows the hops to have a bright presence yet keeps them grounded and balanced. The finish is some sticky hops and sweet malt. Not sure if there is anything I would dream of changing about this part of the beer, simply wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Balanced in every way it should be. Not much else I can say, this is what an DIPA should feel like.

Overall: This beer is so much more then just another hop bomb that you continually see today. A beer with truly complex character, balance, and hop presence. I got a case of this from a friend and thought about trading some, but I think I'll just be selfish and keep them all. An all-timer in my book, no doubt lives up to every bit of the hype.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

A big shout out to Verecund for this one! Very awesome of you man!

A: drink from can (but I had an extra one so I poured it into a glass... and the appearance is a murky/light brown with a tons of crap floating around... its actually not all that appealing looking) But since this one clearly states to drink from the can, I will grade the appearance based on the can's appearance.

S: awesome explosion of piney hops, deep tropical fruits such as mango, grapefruit, slight peach, and mega orange peel.

T: like the nose, this has an awesome balance of tropical fruits and piney hops. Orange peel, mango, grapefruit and peaches all are very well balanced together and there is a slight honey note that sits along side of this drawing away some of the piney bitterness. 5.0

M: fairly light bodied and quite light on the tongue. It leaves an awesome bitter hop note on the tongue and it finishes with a quick creaminess that quickly becomes more dry, but it is quite delightful.

O: well, this one most definitely lives up to the hype. I would love to try this side by side against PtE, Zombie Dust and Hopslam to see how they each compare to each other. But overall, I find this one just simply awesome. The big tropical fruits are very well balanced with the big piney hops aren’t overwhelming on the palate. The brew is quite refreshing and has a very high drinkability. And the bitterness that is left on the palate actually creates an urge to take another sip.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank from the can so I can't say much about how it looked other than it was deep golden in color. Aromas of pine, grapefruit, lemon and orange. Tastes absolutely incredible and follows the aroma perfectly, very slightly bitter and a slight floral presence. Medium bodied and carbonated. It took me a very long time to find my first can, hoping it wont take nearly as long to find more.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a golden with nice haze. Head is minimal, even for the style. A pinch of lacing

The aroma hits you right after you open up the can. Pine and lemon zest come off of the aroma and it's quite floral while at the same time a bit bitter. Despite all of this, the aromas aren't blurred and it's pretty crisp.

The taste is considerably elaborate without being muddled. This, like the can describes, is not an over the top DIPA, yet it does provide some solid bitterness. It focuses mostly on the hop character, so in that regard, the bitterness that comes through is quite impressive. It begins with major pine resin from the hops, and then takes a citrus spin, only to come back to the resin for the finish.

The mouthfeel is quite nice. Everything is quite smooth, and it's not noticeably too thin or too thick. The finish is moderately dry and slightly sticky. A bit of alcohol heat takes away from it, but aside from that it's perfect.

Overall, this beer isn't what I expected, but it is as good as I expected. This was incredibly refined, while also giving a solid dose of bitterness and aggression. I would really love to get my hands on more of this stuff.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

the beast. this ones really hard to review. smell is so complex, tropical here, piney there, fruity over there, citrusy under there. malt? what malt? taste is even more complex than the smell. just about every hop taste there is, all over a juicy fuzzy bed. this one is killer. need to get my hands on focal and more of this!

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

A little old, about a month, I bough two four packs on my way through VT when I went to vacation in upstate New York, so my ratings will be heavily weighted on my original impressions.

A - poured a murky orange with a slight half finger head. Leaves some nice decent lacing.

S - intense hop aroma from the can and immediately after pouring, most forward is the grapefruit, backed by slight citrus and grass notes, and a nice malt presence.

T - even after a month of age, the hop flavor is still amazing. Although noticeably less fresh. Fresh grapefruit, citrus and grass dominant matching the nose well. There is very little Bittering hops present, it does leave a bitterness afterwards but at the finish it is really smooth. There is a nice malt sweetness which provides a great balance that I think really makes this beyond great.

M - mouthfeel is medium to thick, or at least on the syrupy side, ample carbonation.

O - with a month of age, it had only lost that brewery fresh wet hop dankiness, the flavor is still huge. I feel this is excellent, but I put it at about the same level of greatness as some other great IPAs such as enjoy by and sucks. Worth the 4 hour drive to VT, but not the be all end all of IPAs.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

I’m torn here. The brewers leave instructions on the can. Rather than enjoy the beer poured out into a glass, as common sense dictates, they wish us to drink it straight from the can. Normally, I’d do as the brewer says, no questions asked. This kind of goes against my principles though. In the end I decided to enjoy it from my New Belgium globe, though I did decant it, again, as dictated on the can. If I’m ever able to score another can or two or this, I’ll try it straight from the can and see which experience I find more enjoyable.

A: Pours a very hazy golden color. Eggshell white head has good retention, but eventually settles down to a thin slip. Lacing is very sparse and occurs only in small dots.

S: Dank, oily weed. Some soap and wet leaves. All the requisite citrus scents are here too. Mango puree, tangerine, pineapple, et al. There’s an underlying aromatic pine needle scent too. All of this sits atop a doughy malt base. This smells delicious, and definitely unique. It’s unlike any other IPA I’ve ever had.

T: Citrus bitterness punches you in the face immediately. Bitter grapefruit and pine resin intermingle. The tide of bitterness builds a bit, but plateaus off at a nice even level and stays resiny throughout. Tropical fruit flavors play on the tip of the tongue. Pineapple, kiwi, tangerine, and other flavors come to the forefront, though the bitterness never lets up. Oily and leafy hop tastes are there, though I don’t get any of the soap that was present in the smell. The malt base seems sweeter than the nose belied too. It tastes doughy but also a bit sugary. Pina colada just before the finish. Finishes with plenty of tropical fruits and a receding tide of resiny bitterness.

M: Light in body, but certainly not lacking substance. Very creamy and smooth in the mouth, with just a bit of an oily impression. Low carbonation, but just enough to get the job done. It’s like drinking a cloud.

O: This is absolutely delicious. As close to perfect as I’ve come across to date. Maybe the easiest drinking DIPA I’ve ever had. It feels like a found a part of my soul that I never even knew was missing. I’m not a religious man, but I’m fervently praying that this gets regular distribution to MA.

Notes: One of the few beers I’ve had of late that not only lived up to the hype, but completely surpassed it. I think I need to plan a road trip in the near future to try and secure a case of this.

From notes 11.28.13:

I've always approached beers of this magnitude with a somewhat naive sense of awe, but not this time. Going at this one as "just a fucking beer".

Has one-finger of fluffy off-white that drops into a scattered lace in it's own good time. Color is an impenetrably cloudy orange.

Smells of oranges, bananas, grapefruit and resin. While not overly complex, all the components float in concert.

Tastes of deep grapefruit, taffy, and vanilla with a core of rind, resin and other light fruits. A bit spicy too.

Medium to heavy bodied with minimal alcohol heat. Smooth from beginning to end.

As with all great beer there's something intangible. This one has that esoteric element in spades. Is it the water, he terroir, or maybe even an unknown "magical" touch from the creator (brew-master that is)? Who knows? All I know is when all is said and done, this is not "just a fucking beer"

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From the can in Burlington Vt. Aromas of orange, grapefruit, mango, peach. Flavors come through like the nose. Pretty epic. Taste follows the nose to a T. It's an explosion of hops, starting sweet and fruity and slowly building bitterness the more you drink it. Worth the hype? I think so. Is it the best beer in the world I ever had? I don't know, but its right up there and damn close. Glad I got my hands on it.

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours a pumpkin hued orange that is very cloudy. Ecru colored head is well maintained with thick gobs of sticky lacing left with each sip. The scent is overwhelmingly hoppy and seems to span the entire hop spectrum without becoming muddled. Notes of pineapple, pine, orange citrus, pear and some background general scent of yeast. Very heady experience.

The taste is a wonderful progression and balance. This isn't a bitter IBU bomb, but a cascade of hop flavor. Nice medium bodied mouthfeel that doesn't thin out or dry out the palate. The flavor begins with the citrus hops and gives way to a more fruity impression of peach and apple. Finishes with an assertive bitterness that refrains from overpowering. Obviously the beer heavily favors hops rather than malts, but gives an impression of balance rather than being overly hop agressive.

I was wary to review this very hyped beer without careful consideration. I was lucky enough to have a case from a recent trip to Vermont to mull over the different aspects of this beer. Difficult to call any beer #1 in the world, but very appropriate to call it outstanding.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Lightly chilled 16 oz. can. Picked up last Wendesday outside Burlington, VT. Poured a couple oz. into a shaker to get a look at it, the rest stayed in the can as per the brewer's printed plea.

Look- Hazy straw, a ~2 oz pour gives me three fingers of foamy off-white head that falls slowly, very nice lacing.

Smell- Dank, resinous, herbal with a buried citric quality. Whoof. Pungent. Mild sweetness, rosemary comes to mind. In your face, but not astringent or abrasive. Excellent.

Taste- Nothing too flashy, but ready to wow you nonetheless. Fresh, pungent hops explode on the taste buds. Bitterness is low, much lower than anticipated- just gobs and gobs of hop flavor. Herbal, nondescript tropical fruit, fresh pine, ginger, light sweetness that lingers. Light white toast backbone with a touch of honey. Lingering fresh, light feel.

Mouthfeel- Medium-full body, juicy, soft but present carbonation. Goes down easy... too easy? Cool, clean finish, light dryness. Did I mention clean? This stuff begs to be drunk. I could chug this- and I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing.

Overall- Very, very nice. Easy to see how they'd limit it to 12 cans/person even with a year-round release. Not the most flavor-blasted or bold DIPA on the market, but it's... quality. Don't know how else to put it- these guys aren't messing around, it's one of the freshest and most well put-together beers I've ever had the pleasure to drink. Unique mellow-ish flavor balance- perhaps the most "balanced" DIPA I've had, who knew that was a thing? Drool-worthy.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429, thanks Mike. This IPA has gotten so much buzz in the past year, it quickly became my biggest beer ambition to get some, after having some of the bottle last night, it remains one of my biggest wants. I have to make it up to the alchemist the next time this is on tap.

Beer is yellow to amber with some haziness to it. Head is soft, white, and thin made up of a very small bubbles and some medium ones that stick to the glass leaving a little lacing. Carbonation is moderate to low, it looks good, looks like a hazy IPA.

The aroma is beautiful, absolutely wonderful. No alcohol or heat, minimal malt sweetness, complex mixture of tropical fruits like pineapple and mango, with citrus layers of lime and orange. It smells wonderful.

Beer is light in body and quite carbonated in the mouth. Interesting, probably due to the carbonation, the first thing I notice in this beer is the hop profile. A floral and fruity explosion of hop flavors, again tropical fruits and some citrus that gives way in the late palate to some moderate bitterness. I think they could have gotten away with more bitterness but overall it is a truly amazing IPA. Hard to top.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank it straight out of the can!

You definitely get hit with an intense Hop aroma once you open the can!

Perfect balance of bitterness and hops

Definitely one of my favorite beers!

Can was about 2 weeks old, no hops had dropped off yet!

Can't wait to drink it again

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Gifted to me from eyebrews, one outstanding beer lover and guy.

Poured out of the can, even though it says "drink from the can" on the top of the label. Pours a hazy antique gold with a tinge of rust. The bone white head quickly diminished into my pristinely clean stemmed chalice to a mere 1/16". Barely enough to completely blanket the surface. No visible uprising carbonation. Looks very rich and theres lots of fine suspended particles just begging to be quaffed. Fine unbroken rings of delicate lace all the way down. But first...

Probably the most erotically citrus infused hoppy splendor I've ever whiffed. Intoxicating layers of sweet, luscious dripping hopsation to ever grace my nostrils. Damn, I wish I didn't fill my glass so full as I'de like to bury my schnoz in it. (okay, I'll admit it, I just took a big gulp to make for headroom to further my smell test). A few swirls evoke a familiar tamarind-like scent I also detected in Pliny the Elder when I first tried it (fresh) a few years ago. And I like it as much right now as I did then. Mounds, heaps and booming crests of hop goodness for sure.

The taste is just as expressive as the smell. Tropical fruit epic hop collision. Bitter, sweet, lightly sugary, peach skin basking of the gods. You can't take away my Heady-Topper! Get away! Get away! Is there enough to bathe in it? Surely there must be. *WAIT* *WAIT* Sorry about that, I was transported into some crazy dream for a spell. I hope that made sense.

Mouthfeel is silky with the softest ultra fine carbonation I've felt in a Dbl. IPA. It sits so still, but it moves like a school of barracuda, swift and undetected. Magically drinkable. Slightly chalky and tenderly bitter finish.

Overall I am so very grateful for this unexpected can of Dbl. IPA royalty. I ws waiting for the 7th anniv. of New Beer Sunday to try it, and I'm glad it lived up to the hype. I feel like this ale gives me spinach-to-Popeye strength. I think I'm slipping back into a dream. I'll stop here before I do.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Lived up to the hype, for real.

L - No "look rating" b/c they even tell you to drink from the can

S - When you pull that tab, you best be ready for that hop sucker-punch to your nose... amazing

T - Pine & citrus are solid in this beer, like a great IPA is known to have. Nice balance w/ malt profile

F - Smooth, good carbonation

O - Lucky enough to have had a couple of these bad boys. Looking forward to getting more

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Hazy yellow/orange. 2-3 fingers of fluffy white head.

S - Tons of Pine (even from the can), malt, a bit sweet.

T - Tons of bitter/piney hops at first. Some citrus. Malt and a bit of sweetness in the finish. No alcohol to speak of.

M - Smooth, nice clean carbonation.

An amazing DIPA. My favorite for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank from the can, smells very citrusy, has a hazy yellow color, tastes of citrus with a great malt balance. Excellent imperial pale ale would certainly recommend this if you love DIPA.
I'm from Oklahoma, I'd like to recommend you try the Hoptometrist DIPA from Roughtail Brewing, also a great DIPA!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally able to try this, thank you lucas1801. Pours a hazy golden orange color. Smells is heavy citrus, orange and tangerine. Taste is very citrusy kinda like the citrus notes in Jai Alai, not overly hoppy. Overall this beer is worth seeking out and unlike any other IPA I have had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It has been a while since I had this one, A good friend brought some up from Vermont when I lived in Quebec, and it didn't dissapoint, it might be overhyped, but credit is due for an exceptional balance to a insane tropical fruit hop blast that is refreshing, and not lingering or vegital.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Just here to say that this thing is definitely worth the hype it always recieved and I am thrilled that they took the leap to start packaging it (cans...awesome!) and thus making it available to everyone.

Pours a dark orange color with a solid white head, good retention...not sure how I ended up with so many floaties in this thing; doesn't bother me though.

The aroma; killer. Tons of tropical fruit passion fruit, mango, definitely some citrus in there as well.

Upfront, the taste is the same; tropical all day with undertones of lemon grass, candied orange, and more tropical fruitiness!

Finishes with a clean piney bitterness and a solid caramel back to round it out

Overall; I absolutely love this beer, will be seeking more of it out and can't wait until they start distributing in states that I visit ofter. This is definitely everything that it was said to be, if not more and is the East Coast's answer to Pliny/Sculpin!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist