Heady Topper | The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,279 | Ratings: 12,800

22oz bottle acquired from the release in VT

A - Pours a hazy light orange with a thin white head

S - A cornucopia of citrusy and piney hops. As if you pulled the cones from the bines yourself, very dank. I could live in this glass.

T - Continues from the smell; citrusy hop bitterness that finishes very smooth

M - Low carbonation (bottle says "pub draft levels"), coats the mouth with more hops

D - As the bottle states it is insane how easy this goes down especially at 8%ABV

I know this review is not poetry but it's the best I can do for now. This beer was worth the frozen fingers and toes

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

BA share, DenverBeerDrinker (thanks man!)

A - I'm drinking straight from the can as requested by the can itself

S - pungent grapefruit, slick pine, notes of orange, plenty of hops

T - wow, this is delicious; my first words are, "oh my"; there is plenty of hop character here; lightly grapefruit in flavor; floral; tropical fruit and sweet; dank; pineapple as it settles

M - dense; resiny; smooth as can be; perfect carbonation

O - top shelf DIPA, easily one of the best I've ever had; really well-balanced; not too bitter; perfect!

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%

16 oz can poured into a nonic, despite the urging of the can. Maybe I'll drink the next one from the can. I left about an eighth inch of beer in the can.

Pours clear amber with huge chunks of hop matter floating everywhere. Reminds me of egg drop soup. Minimal head.

Aroma is HUGE. As soon as I crack the can, citrus hop aroma fills the room. After pouring and taking a deep whiff, I am overwhelmed with hoppy goodness. This is crazy.

First sip is a rush of hop flavor. Very citrusy, with a very smooth and not bitter finish. This is like the perfect vessel to showcase hop flavor... so oily, slick, and bursting with pine and citrus flavors.

I can understand the hype surrounding this beer. It is amazing, and I wish I had a way to easily get more.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Brought all the way to Montana from Vermont... extremely excited to try this.

Appearance - Slightly opaque beige-orange with hints of yellow around the glass. Wispy eggshell pebbled head with lacing.

Smell - Unavoidable hop burst. It's balanced though, with the malts sharing the same space in the room. Earthy and citrus plays with the sweets. A bit of tangerine, lemon peel, and spice with the breads.

Taste - Woa. No kidding around here with the flavor composition. Sip, think. Sip, think. There's a lot going on in there. From the citrus first noted in the smell to the very smooth boozy warmth on the finish, it's quite complete. The grapefruit and tangerine are there and persist as the malt sweetness fills the entire mouth.

Mouthfeel - Medium/full body, carbonation is quite spot on to still play with the tongue.

Overall - says NOT to pour into a glass, but I think even if you do it's incredibly satisfying. I'd like to compare this with Pliny the Younger, the day will soon come.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can served directly at a release (I assume quite fresh).

L: Poured a bit into a glass to share (though I agree with the can that was a mistake--see below for differences). Standard IPA look: orange-ish with good head retention, haziness.

S: Smells like a lovely pine forest. Different varieties of pine too--not just one-note, with a bit of floralness and orange mixed in.

T: An outstanding IIPA. Piney, but not overwhelmingly so. The taste from the can was a bit more bubbly and crisp than the bit I put in a glass--I recommend keeping it in the can. As I drank, I got more and more floral notes, though the taste was still strongly pine bitters. A hint of bubblegum showed up about halfway through--no fruit though. As the can says, the taste comes in waves--but they're more restrained than the sharpness of, say, a PtE. No hint of the 8% ABV. Only slight negative note--the aftertaste was a bit too strongly bitter. No other flavors left on the tongue, just a moderate dry, lingering bitterness.

F: Creamy, yet crisp. No lingering resin, but when it's in your mouth it feels less like pine needles and more like pine brulee. One of the biggest differences between this and other IIPAs is this mouthfeel.

O: Worth waiting 2+ hours for even though I'm not the biggest fan of hoppy beers. Better than PtE, though I'd be interested in putting the best of Alpine or Societe up against it. The freshness of the can really shone through here and for the price (only $7!) I couldn't ask for much more. A great beer and a great beer experience.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Received in a trade from Liquidswordz. Thanks!

A - Drank this one straight from the can, but poured out the last 4 oz. to see it. Golden-orange in color

S - Hops, hops, and more hops

T - Floral hoppy taste. Slight bitter finish

M - As good as it gets, perfect for a DIPA

I really enjoyed this beer. One of the better DIPAs I've had.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can Date: purchased 10/14/16
Palate Contaminants: none

The look is a nice translucent amber with moderate head. The light actually changes colors if I move it to indirect light, never seen that.

I got a great whiff when I cracked open the can. The principal smell is savory fruit. And even though they're savory, they're mostly acidic. I can pick out red grapefruit, pineapple, orange, sweet melon, and cactus fruit. It's also lactic, even trending toward salty.

The taste canvas is savory malt. The citrus elements are less, with mostly the red grapefruit coming through. The lactic element is stronger, though. There's also a vegetable/herb tilt here, it's one of those beers that might go well with a salad. Actually, it probably goes well with everything. It's very well balanced.

I don't get much bitter until the aftertaste, but it has enough savory and sweet to make it enjoyable. The carbonation is very well integrated.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Plenty of hoppy goodness. Drank from the can as instructed, but had to get a look at this beauty so I poured a little in a glass. It was cloudy and the mouthfeel was defintely not thin. Very impressed, the aroma was amazing.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%

Had on tap from a freshly tapped keg at the Alchemist Pub and Brewery in Waterbury, VT. Served in a 12 oz glass.

Look: great looking DIPA. Hazy amber color, but the Alchemist is a bit dim so its hard to tell exactly the color. A finger and a half worth of head sits atop the beer with excellent retention and excellent lacing.

Smell: huge hop aroma. Tropical fruit like pineapple, citrus with some grapefruit and lemon-lime, hints of pine and some caramel sweetness lurking around back there. Exceptional.

Taste: follows the nose with a huge hop flavor. Some resin, huge citrus flavor, bits of pineapple and grapefruit, orange, and lemon... everything you could want in a hop profile. There's a bit of caramel maltiness to balance but its not really pronounced. Exceptional taste.

Feel: medium bodied and feels about right at 8% alcohol by volume, with a moderate amount of carbonation that is perfect for the style, a bit of lingering hop bitterness in the finish but not so much that it kills your palate. Alcohol is nicely hidden.

Drink: great. I drank my glass a bit faster than I would've liked and you'll have to force yourself to savor this one. Could drink a few of these and its very sessionable for a DIPA, only coming in at 8% alcohol.

Overall, I am quite impressed by this one. This has become my favorite DIPA. Everything about it is great, from the hop profile, the meek presence of the malt, the way it looks, the way it smells... everything. The Alchemist did a great job with this one.

I should also add that I went into this one with a heavy dose of skepticism. Having had Pliny the Elder, which is generally promised to be the end all be all of DIPAs (excluding the Younger, of course) and being very disappointed I thought that Heady Topper would be a product of the BeerAdvocate hype machine. Well, its not. Its the ultimate DIPA and I recommend trying it as soon as you possibly can. Hopefully The Alchemist begins a production line soon because more people need to try this.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%

I journeyed North into the Green Mountain state to get it, and I would say the trip was well worth it.

This beer is everything that I expected it to be.

Had a sample glass right when I got to the Alchemist, showed a nice darker unfiltered yellow.

The smell it outstanding, so fresh. Strong hops. What I really liked was how even though its a douple IPA, the hops are not overpowering.

There is such a smooth texture to this beer. A raw texture which makes it far from watery. And oh my goodness!! It is easy to drink.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%

I got 2 bottles of this courtesy of Kelp, thanks a ton Jeremy. I had a preview at the Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice too, so I was really looking forward to opening these.

It pours a light golden orange with thick foam and spotty laceing, just a little haze. The aroma is heavy with citrus and tropical fruit, grapefruit + papaya + that type of thing. Honestly I would guess Deadnaught in a blind smell test.

Nice and abrasive taste, a little sweet in the middle, just about the perfect amount of malt. This deserves all of its reviews, wow it's good. A little burn but it feels hops-based rather than alcohol-based.

Light body, very dry in the mouth, I can't praise it enough. I love this beer, so glad I have another.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I broke the rules poured from the can into a pint glass, oh no. First of all this is a really good IPA and I'm glad I drove to Vermont for it. Wonderful piney hop character and solid ABV at 8%. Very smooth too with great aromas and golden color. However I'm not so sure this is really the best IPA in the country. While it's certainly no run of the mill IPA I've had numerous IPAs that would compare to it or even be better. I'll agree with my man coffdaddy in his review, Jai Alai by Cigar City kicks its butt. And the directions were a bit excessive although I've had it from the can as well as a sniffer.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The pine hoppy smell and taste just makes you want more after every sip. Just make sure you're home or have a dd as this also gives a happy glow buzz.

Equal to La Cumbre Elevated IPA and Pliny the Elder for my taste buds. I just wish I could try all three at the same sitting.

Update- the last few have not been as good or I've been exposed to better beers since. Still good, but better is out there.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a can into a Chimay tuip.

L: Pours a semi-transparent deep golden color. 2 fingers of creamy white head... gorgeous lacing.

S: Citrusy... grapefruit and orange zest... pine notes underneath.

T/F: You get one heck of a one-two punch with this beer. Sweetness touches the tongue first... with tropical fruits and citrus teasing the palate before the bitter hops come roaring in to remind you that you are drinking an Imperial IPA. I absolutely loved the hop profile on this one... tropical fruits and just a hint of evergreen. Oily and resinous and entirely delicious. Surprisingly smooth for such a big beer... almost delicate.

O: A thing of beauty, and easy to see why this brew has such a dedicated following. The only question now remains... how does a Pennsylvanian acquire more?

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%

Although the can warns it will be hazy, it is way beyond that: murky and dirty looking with plenty of floaties and barely any head in spite of a very vigorous pour, Heady Topper does look BAD.

Fortunately appearance is the only unimpressive aspect of this beer. Smells dank and piney, with a freshness I have not encountered in any other DIPA. Some citrus-y fruitiness comes along later but this beer is seriously green, in the manner I like. Ok, finally some onion makes me reluctantly take half a point off.

And the taste is something to die for, and kill: an IPA can only get so much bitter without getting unpleasant, and Heady manages to stay very very pleasant. Fruity without the sweetness (!), and almost like chewing on pine needles and rind with a bone dry finish and long lingering bitterness. This is the perfect Double IPA. I don't like to make "Pliny killer" statements but I can safely say that this can is better than the bottle of Pliny I reviewed, and I gave that one a 5 on taste... so is this a 5.5 or what?!

Ah, Heady Topper is just what I need in my IPAs --- low alcohol (for a DIPA), clean and crisp character, mind blowing hoppiness, and palate killing bitterness. Looks aside, Heady is the perfect DIPA and the perfect beer.

So glad to have tried it, and I will trade for it again and again and again. In past I have been let down by IPAs I have traded for but this?! A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Thanks Dave!

1, 4.5, 5, 5, 5

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Surly pint glass. A semi-hazy burnt orange color. Few and far between, large, carbonation bubbles lead to a very small head. As I swirl my glass I get just the smallest hint of, off white colored head. There isn't any lace to speak of.

Smell is fantastic. Green, wet, leafy hops. Citra I believe? Fresh, sweet citrus smells of an orange or pink grapefruit and some pine resin and perfume.

Taste is pretty citrus bitter. Yellow grapefruit in bitterness and orange or tangerine in sweetness. There is also some piney, wet, green, hop cone flavors. I think this is the closest to Abrasive I have tried. Hop Knot and Odell IPA come close, but this is right there. At end there is some alcohol warmness.

Mouth is smooth, with creamy carbonation. Medium body and a long, wet finish.

Overall I must say that I have really laid into the North Eastern folk for asking the world in trade for this, now, year round offering. It is quite fantastic beer and almost equal to Abrasive, but not worth a bomber of Canadian Breakfast Stout. I received this as an extra from a Midwestern trader. Thanks TIMMYJ21 for not being as stingy as the NE guys.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%

A - pours a slightly hazey marigold color. A fingers worth of froathy white head which quickly dissipates to just a white ring around the rim. No lacing.

S - the aroma just permiates from the can as soon as its opened. The nose is bright and intoxicating in itself. Bright grapefruit, orange and lemon peel lead the charge followed by a basket of tropical fruit filled to the brim with candied pineapple and fleshy mango. The nose is rounded out by notes of fresh cut grass, and crusty bread.

T - taste follows the nose for the most part. At first it seems more on the dry side but seems to get sweeter as it warms. Dough and bread crust are first detected on the tip of the tongue. Lots of sweet fruit and malt character aid in keeping the grapefruit bitterness balanced. Pineapple and banana peel seem to be the predominant tropical fruits while the grassy flavors keep the flavors well rounded in the middle of the palate. A strong bitterness in the long finish as well as a touch of lemony acidity.

M - slick textured medium verging on full bodied with a light bubbly carbonation.

O - excellent. Almost everything I love about IPAs in a single can. Alchemist really hit the nail on the head with this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a phenomenal IPA, but falls short of all of the hype it receives in my opinion. Each time I have had it, I am expecting to be completely wow'd, however, it ends up being just a beer that I greatly enjoy drinking.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Received two 4-packs in a trade with bostonbeans originating on the other site. Purchased a week ago, so this beer is fresh to deff... Whatever that means. First time drinking, and I'm pretty excited. Thanks, Vini!

A- Drank the majority of this beer from the can, but I wanted to see what it looked like, so I poured a few ounces into a snifter. Looks like grapefruit juice with a bit of orange juice poured into it. Pretty friggin' cloudy. A small head, that I'm sure would expand had I poured the whole can. Overall, not too impressive. I can see why "DRINK FROM THE CAN!" is exclaimed on the label in all caps.

S- Wow. Could I just smell this beer forever? So pungent, and so delightful. Huge citrus (specifically grapefruit and clementine), pine, and floral notes with a hint of sweetness. You're not gonna make a beer that smells better than this. You're just not. So don't even try.

T- Hops on hops on hops. Juicy, fruity sweetness balanced out by the hop bitterness. Hops, citrus, sweetness. In that order. And me likey that order. The bitterness lingers, requiring a solid smacking of the lips. Love that. The taste is not quite as phenomenal as the nose, but quite lovely nonetheless.

M- Not the best mouthfeel I've had in an IPA. Feels just a little bet empty. Maybe a little watery at some points. Doesn't detract too much from the beer, but could be improved. Pretty good amount of carbonation, with a dry finish. Hop oils totally coat the tongue.

O- I think I'm understanding the hype. This was a really enjoyable beer. Only room for improvement would be on the appearance and the mouthfeel. But where it really counts, this beer delivers. And I have 7 more in the refrigerator. You lucky dog.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Beenitty is a total badass and a quality human being. I received this surprise package of 2 very fresh Heady Topper cans in the mail this morning, and could not wait for them to get cold to drink them. This is super fresh- about 11 days old total. What an amazing cool thing for him to do- Beenitty I will get you back man!

Poured from can into my DFH snifter. Nice fluffy head that recedes very slowly. Dank piney and sweet citrus hops announce themselves when the can pops. Smell on further inspection: resinous, piney hops, and there is a bready sweetness to it too. Taste- wow. heaven. the hop oils hit the back of my throat with a burst of bitterness, but it is followed by a tropical sweet flavor that still sits on my lips. Waves of piney and floral hoppiness all over my mouth. If I were to compare this to something, it might be Surly Abrasive. Just a huge hoppy celebration in a can. Super fresh, it probably isnt as balanced as others say it is, the hops are just so pronounced, they are definitely the focus of this beer.

Overall, this is up there with the best of them. I won't call it my all time best IIPA, but it is close. And so kickass that its in a can....I am going to try to do a trade for a full box of this soon.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very nice, dank and piney aroma and taste. Very balanced between malt sweetness and hop bitterness. Only downside for me is the lack of some tropical fruit and the alcohol being just a bit too present.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a nice hazy orange a with a big creamy white head on top. A fair amount of sticky lace left behind.

Wonderfully aromatic with a boatload of citrusy hop character. Grapefruit and orange stick right out there. A fair bit of sweetness with even a slight vanilla-like note that is certainly unexpected but rather pleasant.

The bright and citrusy hop aromas cary over well into the palate. Deliciously hoppy without the mouth puckering bitterness you often find in DIPAs. Sweeter than your typical IPA/DIPA but not cloying at all.

Mouthfeel comes across with a nice smooth and creamy medium body feel. Overall, Heady Topper is hard to beat. I might just have to make more trips to Vermont from now on.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It may sound blasphemous, but really not much separates a lot of the top American IPAs - Sculpin, Resin, Double Jack, etc. They're extremely good, but somewhat similar. But Heady Topper has that x factor that keeps you wanting more. Not sure if it's the well-rounded mouthfeel or supremely fresh taste. It's just infinitely drinkable.

First you get juicy hops and it's almost a little too bitter. Then after a couple sips the bitterness mellows out a bit, yielding to a wide range of fruity hop flavors -- citrus, grapefruit, mango and apple. There's also a big, green piney/grassy/herbal hop presence. The mouthfeel is big, round, creamy and balanced, but also resinous and sappy at times. Combined with the tangy fruit profile, it's somewhat reminiscent of a sophisticated cider or champagne. Really dry, bitter finish.

It's a thoroughly American IPA and there is a distinct lack of nutty/biscuity/malty characteristics that you might find in more internationally-inspired brews. That's the only negative thing I can think of to say. But it's surely better off as is.

This beer just keeps giving and giving and it's difficult to pin down why you enjoy it so much. You just keep reaching for cans until you realize that it's still an 8% abv brew and you should probably not kill that precious 4-pack by yourself tonight.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

I decided to go for this long awaited treat from The Alchemist for my 200th review.

Poured from 16oz can to imperial Surly pint glass...

Pours a hazy honey gold, gorgeously unfiltered. I like my orange juice with pulp, I like my beer with floaties. A big, rocky off-white head swells to fill the 20oz glass. Spotty, sticky lacing. Great looking beer, I don't really understand why this beer is suppose to be hidden inside of a can.

The nose is stuffed with fresh hop aromas - tangerine, orange peel, fresh floral bits, plenty of evergreen harshness to balance the heavy citrus. Not really any detectable malts here.

On the tongue... hop abrasion like I've never really experienced. Grapefruit, orange peel, massive flavors. Exceedingly hoppy and bitter. The super dry, bitter afterburn keeps me going for more. What a delicious thing this is.

Overall, I can see why people go nuts over this stuff. A unique, aggressive, very satisfying drink.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: tried from the can initially (mandated on the can) - "cold but not ice cold" - but then gave in - I had to see what I'm drinking (we are visual creatures): cloudy medium gold beer kicked up a couple of fingers of off-white head from a near-center pour into a tulip. Left some lace behind.

S: mostly hoppy (as expected): floral, herbal, citric, resinous; sublte pale malt in the background

T: again, hop-forward: lots of bitter citrus (is that a contradiction in terms?) and resiny pine; a little tart; bitter not sweet - some undercurrents of honey'd malt; some medicinal notes

M: crisp, slight tartness, bittering, light-to-medoim weight, moderate carbonation on the tongue

O: a good DIPA, but the best, #1 ranked beer on the site? I don't agree. I've had too many great DIPAs and IPAs to jump onboard here (*ducks the hurled vegetables and garbage*). I'd say its a good buy, a MUST try, but nothing to lose sleep over if its not available in your area.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist