Heady Topper | The Alchemist

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States
alchemistbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,294 | Ratings: 12,890
4.64/5  rDev -0.4%

Although the can warns it will be hazy, it is way beyond that: murky and dirty looking with plenty of floaties and barely any head in spite of a very vigorous pour, Heady Topper does look BAD.

Fortunately appearance is the only unimpressive aspect of this beer. Smells dank and piney, with a freshness I have not encountered in any other DIPA. Some citrus-y fruitiness comes along later but this beer is seriously green, in the manner I like. Ok, finally some onion makes me reluctantly take half a point off.

And the taste is something to die for, and kill: an IPA can only get so much bitter without getting unpleasant, and Heady manages to stay very very pleasant. Fruity without the sweetness (!), and almost like chewing on pine needles and rind with a bone dry finish and long lingering bitterness. This is the perfect Double IPA. I don't like to make "Pliny killer" statements but I can safely say that this can is better than the bottle of Pliny I reviewed, and I gave that one a 5 on taste... so is this a 5.5 or what?!

Ah, Heady Topper is just what I need in my IPAs --- low alcohol (for a DIPA), clean and crisp character, mind blowing hoppiness, and palate killing bitterness. Looks aside, Heady is the perfect DIPA and the perfect beer.

So glad to have tried it, and I will trade for it again and again and again. In past I have been let down by IPAs I have traded for but this?! A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Thanks Dave!

1, 4.5, 5, 5, 5

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Surly pint glass. A semi-hazy burnt orange color. Few and far between, large, carbonation bubbles lead to a very small head. As I swirl my glass I get just the smallest hint of, off white colored head. There isn't any lace to speak of.

Smell is fantastic. Green, wet, leafy hops. Citra I believe? Fresh, sweet citrus smells of an orange or pink grapefruit and some pine resin and perfume.

Taste is pretty citrus bitter. Yellow grapefruit in bitterness and orange or tangerine in sweetness. There is also some piney, wet, green, hop cone flavors. I think this is the closest to Abrasive I have tried. Hop Knot and Odell IPA come close, but this is right there. At end there is some alcohol warmness.

Mouth is smooth, with creamy carbonation. Medium body and a long, wet finish.

Overall I must say that I have really laid into the North Eastern folk for asking the world in trade for this, now, year round offering. It is quite fantastic beer and almost equal to Abrasive, but not worth a bomber of Canadian Breakfast Stout. I received this as an extra from a Midwestern trader. Thanks TIMMYJ21 for not being as stingy as the NE guys.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%

A - pours a slightly hazey marigold color. A fingers worth of froathy white head which quickly dissipates to just a white ring around the rim. No lacing.

S - the aroma just permiates from the can as soon as its opened. The nose is bright and intoxicating in itself. Bright grapefruit, orange and lemon peel lead the charge followed by a basket of tropical fruit filled to the brim with candied pineapple and fleshy mango. The nose is rounded out by notes of fresh cut grass, and crusty bread.

T - taste follows the nose for the most part. At first it seems more on the dry side but seems to get sweeter as it warms. Dough and bread crust are first detected on the tip of the tongue. Lots of sweet fruit and malt character aid in keeping the grapefruit bitterness balanced. Pineapple and banana peel seem to be the predominant tropical fruits while the grassy flavors keep the flavors well rounded in the middle of the palate. A strong bitterness in the long finish as well as a touch of lemony acidity.

M - slick textured medium verging on full bodied with a light bubbly carbonation.

O - excellent. Almost everything I love about IPAs in a single can. Alchemist really hit the nail on the head with this one.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a phenomenal IPA, but falls short of all of the hype it receives in my opinion. Each time I have had it, I am expecting to be completely wow'd, however, it ends up being just a beer that I greatly enjoy drinking.

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Received two 4-packs in a trade with bostonbeans originating on the other site. Purchased a week ago, so this beer is fresh to deff... Whatever that means. First time drinking, and I'm pretty excited. Thanks, Vini!

A- Drank the majority of this beer from the can, but I wanted to see what it looked like, so I poured a few ounces into a snifter. Looks like grapefruit juice with a bit of orange juice poured into it. Pretty friggin' cloudy. A small head, that I'm sure would expand had I poured the whole can. Overall, not too impressive. I can see why "DRINK FROM THE CAN!" is exclaimed on the label in all caps.

S- Wow. Could I just smell this beer forever? So pungent, and so delightful. Huge citrus (specifically grapefruit and clementine), pine, and floral notes with a hint of sweetness. You're not gonna make a beer that smells better than this. You're just not. So don't even try.

T- Hops on hops on hops. Juicy, fruity sweetness balanced out by the hop bitterness. Hops, citrus, sweetness. In that order. And me likey that order. The bitterness lingers, requiring a solid smacking of the lips. Love that. The taste is not quite as phenomenal as the nose, but quite lovely nonetheless.

M- Not the best mouthfeel I've had in an IPA. Feels just a little bet empty. Maybe a little watery at some points. Doesn't detract too much from the beer, but could be improved. Pretty good amount of carbonation, with a dry finish. Hop oils totally coat the tongue.

O- I think I'm understanding the hype. This was a really enjoyable beer. Only room for improvement would be on the appearance and the mouthfeel. But where it really counts, this beer delivers. And I have 7 more in the refrigerator. You lucky dog.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Beenitty is a total badass and a quality human being. I received this surprise package of 2 very fresh Heady Topper cans in the mail this morning, and could not wait for them to get cold to drink them. This is super fresh- about 11 days old total. What an amazing cool thing for him to do- Beenitty I will get you back man!

Poured from can into my DFH snifter. Nice fluffy head that recedes very slowly. Dank piney and sweet citrus hops announce themselves when the can pops. Smell on further inspection: resinous, piney hops, and there is a bready sweetness to it too. Taste- wow. heaven. the hop oils hit the back of my throat with a burst of bitterness, but it is followed by a tropical sweet flavor that still sits on my lips. Waves of piney and floral hoppiness all over my mouth. If I were to compare this to something, it might be Surly Abrasive. Just a huge hoppy celebration in a can. Super fresh, it probably isnt as balanced as others say it is, the hops are just so pronounced, they are definitely the focus of this beer.

Overall, this is up there with the best of them. I won't call it my all time best IIPA, but it is close. And so kickass that its in a can....I am going to try to do a trade for a full box of this soon.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a nice hazy orange a with a big creamy white head on top. A fair amount of sticky lace left behind.

Wonderfully aromatic with a boatload of citrusy hop character. Grapefruit and orange stick right out there. A fair bit of sweetness with even a slight vanilla-like note that is certainly unexpected but rather pleasant.

The bright and citrusy hop aromas cary over well into the palate. Deliciously hoppy without the mouth puckering bitterness you often find in DIPAs. Sweeter than your typical IPA/DIPA but not cloying at all.

Mouthfeel comes across with a nice smooth and creamy medium body feel. Overall, Heady Topper is hard to beat. I might just have to make more trips to Vermont from now on.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It may sound blasphemous, but really not much separates a lot of the top American IPAs - Sculpin, Resin, Double Jack, etc. They're extremely good, but somewhat similar. But Heady Topper has that x factor that keeps you wanting more. Not sure if it's the well-rounded mouthfeel or supremely fresh taste. It's just infinitely drinkable.

First you get juicy hops and it's almost a little too bitter. Then after a couple sips the bitterness mellows out a bit, yielding to a wide range of fruity hop flavors -- citrus, grapefruit, mango and apple. There's also a big, green piney/grassy/herbal hop presence. The mouthfeel is big, round, creamy and balanced, but also resinous and sappy at times. Combined with the tangy fruit profile, it's somewhat reminiscent of a sophisticated cider or champagne. Really dry, bitter finish.

It's a thoroughly American IPA and there is a distinct lack of nutty/biscuity/malty characteristics that you might find in more internationally-inspired brews. That's the only negative thing I can think of to say. But it's surely better off as is.

This beer just keeps giving and giving and it's difficult to pin down why you enjoy it so much. You just keep reaching for cans until you realize that it's still an 8% abv brew and you should probably not kill that precious 4-pack by yourself tonight.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

I decided to go for this long awaited treat from The Alchemist for my 200th review.

Poured from 16oz can to imperial Surly pint glass...

Pours a hazy honey gold, gorgeously unfiltered. I like my orange juice with pulp, I like my beer with floaties. A big, rocky off-white head swells to fill the 20oz glass. Spotty, sticky lacing. Great looking beer, I don't really understand why this beer is suppose to be hidden inside of a can.

The nose is stuffed with fresh hop aromas - tangerine, orange peel, fresh floral bits, plenty of evergreen harshness to balance the heavy citrus. Not really any detectable malts here.

On the tongue... hop abrasion like I've never really experienced. Grapefruit, orange peel, massive flavors. Exceedingly hoppy and bitter. The super dry, bitter afterburn keeps me going for more. What a delicious thing this is.

Overall, I can see why people go nuts over this stuff. A unique, aggressive, very satisfying drink.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: tried from the can initially (mandated on the can) - "cold but not ice cold" - but then gave in - I had to see what I'm drinking (we are visual creatures): cloudy medium gold beer kicked up a couple of fingers of off-white head from a near-center pour into a tulip. Left some lace behind.

S: mostly hoppy (as expected): floral, herbal, citric, resinous; sublte pale malt in the background

T: again, hop-forward: lots of bitter citrus (is that a contradiction in terms?) and resiny pine; a little tart; bitter not sweet - some undercurrents of honey'd malt; some medicinal notes

M: crisp, slight tartness, bittering, light-to-medoim weight, moderate carbonation on the tongue

O: a good DIPA, but the best, #1 ranked beer on the site? I don't agree. I've had too many great DIPAs and IPAs to jump onboard here (*ducks the hurled vegetables and garbage*). I'd say its a good buy, a MUST try, but nothing to lose sleep over if its not available in your area.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have tasted this by glass and from the can...

Orange, slightly hazy body. Appears to be 8 SRM. Thick foamy head with tons of sticky lacing. Carbonation is on the low side.

Smells dank, fruity, peachy, and citrusy. Lots of orange and pine.

Tastes way more piney and dank than the aroma fortells. It's richer/juicier/hoppier than Pliny the Elder with a tad more residual sweetness (1.012-1.014 FG). Hop heaven in a can.

Mouthfeel is somewhat creamy and a perfect medium-body, probably more because of the sheer amount of hops and malt used, and less because of a high FG.

American double/Imperial IPA
8% ABV

APPEARANCE: drink from the can like I was told right on the top!

AROMA: once I cracked the can I got my nose as close to in it as I could. Lots of hops, dark pine, more earthy and vegetal then the bright citrusy west coast ipa's I've been tasting.

TASTE: the hops for sure hit your mouth like a punch from Mike Tyson. Dank, grassy bitterness in there. Herbal spiciness, lite citrus and floral notes.

MOUTHFEEL: medium to heavy body, oily and slick that coats your mouth with a hop resin. Has a very creamy texture to it.

OVERALL: I do believe this is a great IPA and understand the hype behind it. For my palate personally I still put this right under Pliny the Elder.

RATING: 4.9/5 Zombie Heads!

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Fresh can. I did not follow the instructions on the can. I poured it at fridge temp into an imperial pint glass at.

A: Cloudy, brownish-orange. Minimal white head. You can tell this one us unfiltered.

S: Lots of fruity, floral hops. Wonderful!

T: Immediate punch of hops followed by wonderful fruit notes.

M: Perfect to the style. Medium body and carbonation. Refreshing.

O: Great DIPA. Lives up to the hype. Would love for this to be available at the local store.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Reviewed from notes. Sixteen ounce can shared by Dan - thanks.

A: Pours a slightly hazed yellow with a nice one-inch thick white head which lingers and settles to a thin cap yielding splotchy lace.

N: Juicy grapefruit, tangerine, orange fruits, floral.

T: Resiny, citrusy, mildly sweet malt for a good balance, some faint dankness.

M: Moderate body and medium carbonation. Dry, bitter, citrusy, sticky and resiny finish.

O: Well, after having this a few times I've noticed some variation from can to can probably due to factors such a travel to west coast, temperature, etc. This is definitely a top DIPA, but I'm just not convinced it is the best. The ABV is well hidden and is a creeper, though I'd love to have another and continue the research.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I had Heady several times. I do think it is a really good beer, don't get me wrong. It is a world class beer. It is by far the best beer that Alchemist brewery has to offer. I just feel like there are a lot of beers in New England that gives heady a run for its money without the hassle of trying to get your hands on it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

So I did half of Focal from a Can and half from glass, as a result I did the whole of Heady from the Can.

That being said, smell is citrusy and woodsy. Taste is nice balance of malt and hop: starts with a nice pop of fresh pine/woods with a nice bit of tangerine/orange, that fades out and a nice biscuity flavor sits in. Really nice.

The complete DIPA

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Big Thanks to spwalshesq for the trade. Huge want of mine! And so worthy...
Cheers Shaun!

Notes from 09/27/11
Tried w/ pint as well as straight from the can.

A: Heady Topper is exactly that. Pours a darker gold color with an orangish hue and just a great big 3 finger head of pure white foam. Amazing retention with a cascading lace all down the glass.

S: Huge grapefruit and massive mango attack at immediate pop of the top. Awesome Awesome Awesome aroma. Very fruity with hints of kiwi and lime. Barely pick up some light sugary sweet bits of malt.

T: Fruity tropical blasts of hop goodness. Spikes with bitter melon, grapefruit and mangoes. Nice hop bitterness overall. Resinous and lingering sticky-icky deliciousness. Some caramel malt background but light and sugary pronouncing the hops. Slight alcohol flavs. Really danky stuff. This is true hop juice.

M: Great creamy texture. Nice carbonation. Lighter body and an oily slick mouthcoat with a refreshingly crisp finish.

D: A fantastic exhibition of hops with great balance. Enough caramel sugar base but just superhoppy and very drinkable. Really great stuff.

Glad to have the chance to try and will definitely be seeking out again. Highly recommended. A contender with Abrasive for sure.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

I tried a few ounces in a tulip, and the rest out of the can. I have to say I enjoyed the tulip better as I consumed it as the bouquet was opening. In the end, it was simply a delicious beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Traded big for this one - a '11 DL for a four pack of this delicious stuff. Glad the brewery decided to can this beer! Pours a slightly cloudy deep golden color with a stingy white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of pine, resin, and a slight bit of citrus and dankness. Taste is mildly sweet bready biscuity malt being assassinated by an onslaught of hops. Medium to thin body and level of carbonation, resinous bitter mouthfeel. There is a bitterness finish, but it is pleasant, aromatic and not harsh at all. Tried this out of a can, but ended up too dangerously drinkable that way.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank majority out of the can. Poured a bit into a tulip for look and because I usually drink out of a tulip.
L: Pale yellow colored, hazy and turbid but still see-through.
S: Very malt forward. Reminds me a lot of a blond ale, very bready, grainy (similar to Eureka! by Treehouse). Smells sweet. Surprisingly hops here are more floral and restrained, slight hints of fruit (that of citra), citrus, also some blueberry.
T: Hops come through heavier here. They are floral, pithy, and have a nice wet plant/cut grass sort of character. Lots of citrus, get that sweet grapefruit/orange flavor, also some blueberry. Malts are very prominent, super smooth and provide a repeat of the nose, but it rounds out the hops perfect. Balance is perfect in this beer.
F: Frothy, light mouthfeel. High carbonation. Insanely drinkable.
O: This beer was not at all what I expected. Most people praise the sky over the hops in this, but I think the malt is the unsung hero here. The hops are great though, don't get me wrong. But what brings this beer to the next level is the balance. An +8% beer should not be this drinkable.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Look: The can looks awesome when you can see it. Unfortunately every time I go to Vermont I see an empty space where this beer is supposed to be. Why does everyone want this stuff so bad? Let me explain.

Smell: Smells like victory (not to be confused with Victory Dirt Wolf) when you open it, simply because it's soo hard to get. It also really smells awesome. Like...pinesol and hops, more pinesol, more hops...

Taste: I drank this on the top of the mountains with my friend. It was a good day. It nearly blew my head off like that picture on the can. My friend said my eyes were turning green from all the hops...kind of like the incredible hulk. Yeah, the taste was that good.

Feel: I'm gonna give it a lower rating because theres so much hops I feel like you get hops pieces in your mouth. I was def tasting chunks. But then again, maybe a fly or two went into the can while I wasn't looking. Everyone wants this stuff. :)

I give this the 4.75, it's almost perfect...texture just needs a small tweak.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2 months old
A: I don't know. It's in a can. Staying in the can. (Remember it being unfiltered golden brown)
S: this hop scent is nothing like I've ever smelled before. Like cotton candy
T: cotton candy. So sweet and bitterly good. Perfect balance of everything.
M: just stays with you. The resin is sweet. Hop sweet. I get no citrus. Just a sapy hop resin
O: prior to this I had coriolis. Coriolis was unbelievable! Heady Topper...god damn! This is by far the greatest beer I've ever had. Hands down.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm honestly not sure what all the hype is about. I think the fact that it's hard to get and really hoppy makes it a winner in most people's books. For me though it had a weird background taste every sip that I wasn't really used to I guess. After about the 3rd or 4th can though I started to like the beer a lot more.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a clear honey color; barely any head or lacing

S: Floral, fruity, with some tropical fruits like mango and pineapple; smells a lot like sticking your nose in a bag of gummy bears

T: Starts off sweet with some flavors of candied tropical fruits and earthy grass notes; settles on the tongue and transitions into a piney hop bitterness that lingers on the back of the palate

M: Medium viscosity; thick and creamy for an IPA, but that's just how I like it

O: This is one of the best DIPAs out there, and firmly settles the case that canning vs bottling has no effect on the flavor. Absolutely delicious

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Just got home from Waterbury and cant wait to try it. Went to The Alchemist about a month ago and wasn't on tap, so this is my first Topper. Yes my first few sips were from the can...

Poured from can into glass

A- Nice 1 finger head that quickly turns foamy and bubbly. Retention is good and the body has a good amount of carbonation jetting toward the head. The beer is a slightly hazy orange up to the light and murky orange away from it, looks very good. Nice lacing is left after the head resides. Starting off great.

S- Nice piney scent that dominates. definitely some bitter citrus is there as well as a hearty malt presence.

T- Big piney bitter bite that carries from front to back. A slight citrus sweetness pokes its head out somewhere in the middle to make it a nice combination of all things that make IPAs great. Strong bitterness lingers on the finish that is in between wet and dry. Top Notch.

M- Medium to lighter feel that has a similar carbonation feel. Nice and smooth DIPA

O- Fantastic DIPA! As if the trip through beautiful Vermont and New Hampshire wasn't enough, this beer is great. Good luck to the Alchemist Cannery, the future brewpub and the town of Waterbury that was hit incredibly hard by Irene. Great Job!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist