Morning Wood | Big Wood Brewery

bigwoodbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Added by MBrausen on 02-03-2012

1.78/5  rDev -49.9%

A. Pours a merky black color, 2mm head, no lacing, quickly resets to a thin layer.

S. Smells of light coffee, hops, and lots of spices.

T. Tastes of overbearing spices, mild coffee if any. Just super strong spices. Maybe this would be better at a warmer temp, but at about 35 degrees, this is all spice.

M. Medium body, heavy carbonation, light and watery feel.

O. This beer was too much for me. The spice factor was over done by a mile. I had to pour this out. Just too much for me to pick out any quality flavors.

2.3/5  rDev -35.2%

Appearance:
Pitch black body and crowned by the weakest head I have ever seen - it had all but vanished within seconds of pouring. Mild sediment is noticable. No lacing.

Aroma:
What aroma? Faint notes of coffee and chocolate can be found if you're willing to invest the time and effort.

Taste:
About as lifeless as aroma. Coffee is the only real flavors, and it's a decent flavor, I just wish it was more vibrant, richer. Cola towards the end. Light bitterness. Unfortunate aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Thin and watery. No detectable carbonation.

Overall:
I love coffee. I love beer. Should be a match made in heaven, right? Unfortunately it falls short of good in every aspect. I grabbed this in Minnesota, where Surly is available, and I find myself regretting the decision... I should have just stuck with Surly's Coffee Bender - You should too.

2.66/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Poured shortly after 9am on a Sunday, as is customary for coffee stouts.

Can says 'malt beverage with coffee added' - that's a turn off. Did I buy a malt beverage? I wanted a beer.

Pours a typical coffee stout not-quite-jet-black, I'll call this hue Super German Chocolate. Good 3 finger head that doesn't last terribly long. Leaves good lacing. Typical coffee stout notes of dark roasted coffee beans and cocoa on the nose. It's a little bitter, and tastes of dark coffee as you may expect. It's tongue-pricklingly fizzy, mouthfeel isn't fantastic.

Overall, not remarkable.

2.85/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A - deep mahogany - bordering on chocolate. Thin head that dissipated and left very little lacing.

S - Sweet coffee - like a Super America instant latte

T - Sweet versus roast up front with a taste that reminds me of cold, sweet coffee drinks from a bottle. light carbonation. Pleasant tasting, but lacking any oomph or traditional stout character.

M - Medium mouth feel with a watery/thin finish. More like a dark ale than a stout.

Overall - OK, but lacking something and nothing stout-like stands out.

16oz "pounder" can shared with a friend yesterday; poured into my FFF teku glass today 6/2/2013.

Aroma: Straight up cold-pressed black coffee just like when I homebrew a coffee stout. The nose itself is kind of weak, and is nothing particularly special. I don't detect much malt presence or hoppiness here at all. (3)

Colour: Dark cola brown, minimal head, minimal lacing. Thoroughly average looking stout. (3)

Flavour: Straight up black coffee bitterness plus the underlying roast malts which are kind of hard to detect under the coffee. Its an OK tasting beer but rather disappointing that it is so one dimensional. I might as well drink hot coffee in the morning instead. (3)

Mouthfeel: Thinner side of medium body, well carbonated, aftertaste is black coffee bitterness, the finish is like black coffee. Ehh. (3)

Overall: Just not quite what I expect from coffee stouts. Its just a very, very heavy cold black coffee with a bit of malt and alcohol in it. I don't expect these to be complex beers but this one would really benefit from having more malt and hops backbone to it all. (3)

Morning Wood from Big Wood Brewery